Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband loses DSL Sync intermittently

Options
  • 11-06-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Hey,

My 7mb from Eircom is excellent when its connected, good pings in games, 730KB/s downloads.

But every so often, like every couple of hours, the dsl sync light drops off, and I lose Internet access.

Plugging out the router and back in works about half the time, but sometimes it doesnt, and i have to do it numerous times.

I hvae tried 3 seperate routers now and all have the same problem.

Here are line stats

dslstatsd.jpg

Has anyone got any ideas on what I can do to try resolve this, before I call Eircom?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Your snr is disastrous.

Your only option is to downgrade your speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Hmm so with Eircom that means only one other option?

3mb?

I'll call them tomorrow, thanks dub45. I had no idea what those stats actually show ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You could also try a look at your internal set up. Try it in your main phone connection with everything else disconnected and without a filter. See if the stats improve that way.

Also some good reading here:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

dub45 wrote: »
    You could also try a look at your internal set up. Try it in your main phone connection with everything else disconnected and without a filter. See if the stats improve that way.

Also some good reading here:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Thanks will check that out,

I disconnected everything other than the broadband and i get 8.5 :p

Which is still too low I guess.

Though it is working again now.

dub45

Would you happen to know if Eircom can sync the line at 4/5/6mb instead of 7 if I still pay for 7 ?

Or is my only option to move to the 3mb package?

• Advertisement

In case anyone cares :p,

I called Eircom and got them to sync the line at 5mb,

Getting 14 SNR now and the connection isnt dropping.

Success!

Thanks again for the help dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

In case anyone else reads this, they can sync the top speed packages (7.6 is max with 64bit interleaving) at 4, 5 and 6 mbps. Not sure if they drop to 7, as it makes f all difference.

Beyond 32 dB attenuation, 7.6mbps becomes rather hard to do. That's about a line length of about 2.5 km.

Forgot to update this with the latest.

There actually appears to be something else wrong here.

Even down to 3mb i'm still getting these long periods of down time, at least once an hour for up to 15 minutes :(

It's making the service unusable to be honest.

I don't understand it as 7mb was working fine for months and at 3mb for years :/

They are going to send an engineer out to check the line etc. but i have a dreaded feeling that they won't be able to pinpoint the problem and I will be out of luck.

Have no other option apart from Eircom/Resellers like BT

Has anyone had a similar experience where the engineer was able to find a fault somewhere?

I'm certain that within my house there is no problem. I've tried all 3 outlets, with 5 different modems, with and without adsl filters, and I get the same connection drops :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Start recording when it happens. You might identify a pattern that way. There could be something in your house which knocks the signal when it switches on. E.g. Heating Thermostats, any kind of faulty electrical equipment, any sort of electric welding nearby, a car or motorbike or lawnmower either being turned on or passing the house (dodgy spark plug).

Ask any nearby neighbours if they are having issues.

Sorry for asking, but how would you describe the area you live in?? (e.g. rural, city/town centre, old suburb, new suburb, near a business/industrial area, in/outside dublin). Each one of those areas would have different possibilities for such disconnects.

How old would the internal phone wiring in your house be, and has it been repaired or added to over the years??

I tried that recording idea, but it appeared to be totally random, i did notice that it drops on the hour most hours, like it dropped at 11pm and 12pm last night almost right on the hour.

But it also drops at random times like 11:23 last night :s

I thought I had fixed it last night,

I plugged any eletrical equipment out that was near any of my Telephone Outlets and I had uptime of over 7 hours!!

But then this morning it has d/ced lots of times even though the stuff is all still switched off.

I live in a rural town, I am about midway between the exchange and the core of the town so I guess in theory I should be better off than most of the people living here.

The house was built long ago though, I guess in the 40s/50s

We had our phone installed pretty early on when Telecom Eireann first started out, and we still have the same outlets - they look old as hell :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It could be a fault in the DSL gear in the exchange, ask them to change you to another port while the engineer is about .

Engineer is out currently, replaced the old phone outlet with a new one with in built DSL filter.

He also thinks that the trees outside the house may be affecting it the line going from the Pole to the house, it passes through the branches and may have been worn down.

He is replacing the old line with a new one.

Hope it fixes it!

Advertisement