Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I ♥ govindas, do you?

Options
  • 11-06-2009 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

been hogging another thread talking bout govindas and the like so i thought id start a thread on the ♥ of govindas.
    Whats your fav foods from there? desserts?
    which govindas do you like the best?
    or just happy govindas moments :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

I have been vegetarian a while now and never been there, usually just make my own food, where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

oh you must go! its so good :)

theres one on abbey street beside easons/pennies, then theres the original one on hmm, i call it georges street but i know it changes when you go further up it (basicly keep walking up georges st)
    then theres one around merrion square somewhere, was only there once, wasnt mad about the lay out, squishy!

abbey street is my fav though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Oh God yes!

Yum Yum Yum!

The one on Aungier Street is my favourite, me and my OH go there about once a week. My favourite is when they do the potatoes with red peppers and onion/mustard seeds(not sure which). And the paneer obviously!

Oh dear, it's only 10am and I'm already craving some now... it's gonna be a long old day!

oh i love love love the paneer! my lil girl loves it too, she gets a huge plate everytime!
    also love when they do veg lasagne!!! yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not too crazy about the one on abbey street, I dunno the food just doesn't seem to be as good quality as the other two, sometimes it's very watery and sometimes it seems like it's been sitting there all day.

The one on Merrion Row seems to be the best of the three, though I've only been in there twice.

I could eat paneer all day. That's not a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

I find it a bit too salty but I do like the paneer thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I'm not a fan of food with spices, which a lot of govindas food has. But I do love their vegan salads :) Filled me up well last time I was in there!

maameeo - you have yet to try the food from the Govinda's stand in the Galway city weekend market. He does food which you can't quite get in the rest of the stores and he is lovely to talk to. *all praise*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

maameeo - you have yet to try the food from the Govinda's stand in the Galway city weekend market. He does food which you can't quite get in the rest of the stores and he is lovely to talk to. *all praise*

This is true! Once we went to him near the end of the day and he gave us loads of left over samosas and pakoras for free! What a lovely man.

Also the lady who does Govindas type veggie food in the Saturday market in the Meeting House Square in Temple Bar is lovely too and the food there is awesome. The king kofta is my favourite :D

Oh, I've never visited the stand at the Meeting House Square. It's on the "to-do" list now :)

I'm not a fan of food with spices, which a lot of govindas food has. But I do love their vegan salads :) Filled me up well last time I was in there!

thats a great excuse to visit galway!!! i didnt know that. they used to have a stall in my college every wed, it was very light with chickpeas, you got a paper plate of food with rice and dal, an apple and a cup of water for 3euro.
    then the canteen complained and got rid of them :(

didnt think govindas were very spicy, their food is quite bland in that department, but as u know, i know zilch about cooking! :P

• Advertisement

The queues at his stall are always really long at lunchtime :) It's quite popular indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Have been to Govinda's twice in my lifetime and will never set foot in the place again.

It's vile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Hmmmm, looking at the car keys right now. Very tempted to make the journey into to town and stock up.

Also, prefer Aungier St as it doesn't add peas to the paneer.

kraggy wrote: »
    Have been to Govinda's twice in my lifetime and will never set foot in the place again.

It's vile.

wow, what did u get?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've eaten in 2 of the places in dublin, the market here(today) and the one in galway. Galway is by far the best. His matar paneer, mmmmmmmmmmmmm. That king koftka thing or w/e in temple bar looks interesting!

Went the Meeting House Square stand today. Wasn't labelled as Govida's, but as "Pure Vegetarian Food". There was paneer in most dishes so they were off the menu for me! I also noticed a sign on the side, as in the restaurant on middle abbey street, about the cookery classes "Art of traditional indian cooking", 2-6pm Saturdays with Katyayani Ph:0861526502. I've mentioned her on the forum before as I went to the class last year and really enjoyed it. She also used oil in most dishes instead of clarified butter because I let her know that I was vegan before attending :) maameeo, I'd say this would be a great day out for you and a friend.

oh really?? like is it easy enough to follow or did u come out saying, na i couldnt do that? did u get to eat what she made? lol
    how much is it?
    really have to do something, im actually sick here coz my stomach is so empty, havnt had decent meal in two days! i a twat, i know!

must try that meeting house square stand though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I have the Govinda rumbles now, damn thread.

I don't know the proper names, but the milky green bean mix they do, along with the pie\quiche which has a rather tart taste, almost like goats cheese.

[rumble] [rumble]

oooh i forgot about that tart thing!!!
    yummy!!!
    i absolutely love their samosa! theyre so big and doughy. i usually get one with my plate of food and struggle so hard to eat it!!! *stuffed*!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

What are their prices like ?

• Advertisement

At the stand at the meeting house house, most muchies (samosas etc) were 2.50 and the mains were 4.50 / 5.00.

For the course, yes, we did take the time to have a great slap up meal after. I brought my mother along and we made a few of the dishes we learnt after. You get the recipes printed out, so there is no need to be making notes :) It wasn't rushed and it was great to learn about all the spices etc from someone who really knew. I think we paid 50 euro each, but that may have changed. We were there for like 5 hours, so it was indeed value for money!
    Past posts about it: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055246276
    and: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055288659

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The stalls would have matar paneer in a tub for about a fiver. samosa/sprinng rolls etc 2.50. in the restaurant it's basically all you can eat for 9e. I want that, and that and that, keep going my good man! (just say you want some of evereything)

I want that, and that and that, keep going my good man!
    lol, brilliant! that is exactly what its like! :D

@sweet-rasmus, that does sound like value for money! ill look into that def, i wonder can you bring a child along, probably not ideal really! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I was brought there by a vegan friend once, she said it would be nice and true to her word, the food was nice:) It was the abbey st branch too.

Merrion Row branch is a bit cluttered, what I don't like about it though are the plates they use, the square ones with raised corners.

Having said that, I find that branch has different cooking from Abbey Street, more spices and a different selection of vegetables.

Deviate yourself from B
    K---, S----M--- and M- D
    just once.

Here's a link for the Dublin branch locations.

http://www.govindas.ie/restaurants/index.htm

---

feel a bit silly saying this but someone told me once that govindas use herbs and spices that are known for their anti-aphrodesiac effect because of their religion.
    anyone heard this before? anyone felt the opposite of aroused after govindas :p

A lot of herbs would have a settling effect, both on the stomach and your frame of mind, I don't know if they'd target the libido specifically though.

You're not the first person I've heard this from. :)

phew, kinda thought id imagined the person telling me!
    id always feel too stuffed after eating govindas, def wouldnt feel anyway aroused, but why would you after that much food! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

I've been to Govinda's on Aungier St twice, and tbh I didn't really like it. The food was edible, but I wouldn't voluntarily go back.

However I seem to be in the minority!

• Advertisement

I've eaten in 2 of the places in dublin, the market here(today) and the one in galway. Galway is by far the best. His matar paneer, mmmmmmmmmmmmm. That king koftka thing or w/e in temple bar looks interesting!

Is there an actual Govinda restaurent in Galway these days?

I <3 Paneer.

Advertisement