Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I ♥ govindas, do you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

maameeo wrote: »
    @sweet-rasmus, that does sound like value for money! ill look into that def, i wonder can you bring a child along, probably not ideal really! lol

TBH I doubt it would be much of an issue. She held the class in her kitchen in her own home and her family in and out. Sure, you could ring/text her and ask would it be ok. Kayayani is a lovely woman and a mother. She's gonna understand :) But, it is about 4 hours, so it would be up to whether your daughter could put up with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

yea, im sure shed get pretty bored and probably eat the food before anyone got to see it!
    il look into gettin a babysitter! lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Is there an actual Govinda restaurent in Galway these days?

I <3 Paneer.

No, just the stall, witht he best matar paneer ever. Yum yuymyuymy

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Govindas is definitely my fave place to eat. I prefer the Abbey st one. I was there only yesterday, they've a new menu board up that specifies what's vegan now too so I'm a very happy camper.
    Tempted to go back today....:P

The stand at Meeting House Square (saturdays)/Dun Laoghaire Market (sundays) is great too. I can only get samosa's and Kofta's myself but theres tonnes of Vegetarian stuff.

....God I'm starving now

really wish i worked near town some days, sitting her eating some sort of pot noodle goop for lunch, i would kill for a govindas samosa! (very vegetarian of me! lol)

• Advertisement

really wish i worked near town some days, sitting her eating some sort of pot noodle goop for lunch, i would kill for a govindas samosa! (very vegetarian of me! lol)

I went to college on Cathal Brugha St and loved heading to Govindas for lunch, when I finished I thought I'd hardly ever get to eat there again, but ended up getting a job 2minutes walk away from it :D I'm so jammy sometimes.

Then again I'm only in D5 (same as yourself I see) tis worth the short bus journey:)

I went to college on Cathal Brugha St and loved heading to Govindas for lunch, when I finished I thought I'd hardly ever get to eat there again, but ended up getting a job 2minutes walk away from it :D I'm so jammy sometimes.

Then again I'm only in D5 (same as yourself I see) tis worth the short bus journey:)

lol thats gas! you cud be my neighbour!
    i was in college on thomas street, there was many a trip down to govindas at lunch, and a very very slow walk back!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

kraggy wrote: »
    Have been to Govinda's twice in my lifetime and will never set foot in the place again.

It's vile.

-lala- wrote: »
    I've been to Govinda's on Aungier St twice, and tbh I didn't really like it. The food was edible, but I wouldn't voluntarily go back.

However I seem to be in the minority!

This would reflect my experience in Govindas. I went to Aungier Street. There was a greasy looking piece of condensation on the window as we walked in. They gave us big helpings, but the food had obviously been laying there (kept warm) for a long time and it was obvious from the taste. Vile is the word.

Last time I was there I was on the one on Abbey Street. Everytime I went up to the counter, the guy seemed to walk away which I thought was weird. So I didn't end up getting anything besides a ginger ale (this took some effort and patience).

I would try it again, on the basis that people rave about it, and that I may just have gone on bad days. But I think one more try and if it's still gross, I'm not going back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The condensation doesn't help, they have that problem in two branches, Abbey Street and Aungier Street.

I would agree with you Camarague, some days the Paneer looks the worse for wear. I tend to just give it a quick visual before commiting myself, if it's very dark, avoid..

I have no problems with the rest of the food mind. The spices take some getting used to, if it is a new experience.

I used to go to Cornucopia (Wicklow St.) a fair bit, food is excellent, but the prices are just a little on the wrong side of twelve euro for my liking. I found Govinda's as a result of wanting to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Nope. I've been a few times and I wasn't impressed. I found the majority of their fayre both taste and texture free.

Their paneer was lovely, but that's about it. As for their veggie-burger? Yuck.

A lot of people are unaware that the restaurants are run/owned by the Hare Krishnas and all profits go back into the organisation. I personally wouldn't have a problem with this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Amalgam wrote: »
    I used to go to Cornucopia (Wicklow St.) a fair bit, food is excellent, but the prices are just a little on the wrong side of twelve euro for my liking.

How on earth is €9 for a huge main course the wrong side of €12? To me that seems like very much the right side of €12!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I think they do vegan cupcakes now...at least I seen a sign for them when I was in the Anguier Street one a few weeks back

The last time I was in I got a HUGE plate of food and it was only €7 its so filling and yummy I think its great value.

biZrb wrote: »
    I think they do vegan cupcakes now...at least I seen a sign for them when I was in the Anguier Street one a few weeks back

The last time I was in I got a HUGE plate of food and it was only €7 its so filling and yummy I think its great value.

mmm vegan cupcake sounds yummy! its strange, its the only restaurant that i over look the desserts in coz i love the food so much! lol
    i must look out for these doh! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Hi I'm a non-vegetarian occasional lurker on the V&V thread but I LOVE Govindas, love it to the point where I've had to wean myself off trips to the Abbey St branch. Huge portions and excellent value. Dropped into the one on Aungier St and wasn't as impressed. The day I called in, staff seemed very slow clearing tables, ie customers had already started piling dirty plates onto one particular table and there was no sign of anybody coming to collect them. My one issue with Govindas is the loos. I now find myself eating there and plotting a toilet stop in Jervis... It kinda stops me arranging to meet people there, tbh... sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Also an omnivourious Govindas fan... The branch on Baggot St/Off Merrion Sq. is probably my favorite - I used to work up the road and pop in there near every day. They'd always throw a bit more in to my take-away (Not that I needed it!). Their paneer is fantastic.

The Abbey St branch'd be my second favorite, not a huge fan of the Aungier St one apart from how handy it is when I'm working in that area.

Hi I'm a non-vegetarian occasional lurker on the V&V thread but I LOVE Govindas, love it to the point where I've had to wean myself off trips to the Abbey St branch. Huge portions and excellent value. Dropped into the one on Aungier St and wasn't as impressed. The day I called in, staff seemed very slow clearing tables, ie customers had already started piling dirty plates onto one particular table and there was no sign of anybody coming to collect them. My one issue with Govindas is the loos. I now find myself eating there and plotting a toilet stop in Jervis... It kinda stops me arranging to meet people there, tbh... sorry...

hehe, i like that, 'occasional lurker' :D

not mad on the toilets myself, especially bringing a child down there!

You've all made me curious now - what's wrong with their toilets?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I agree. I remember visiting the Aungier St store and I wasn't impressed with the toilets. I think there may have been no toilet paper also :( Thank goodness I had tissue on me!

well in abbey street, they have skinny stair case down, womens is at the end, door usually wide open, its really tight and squishy, if someone else is in there u have to back up against a wall. then the toilets them selves arnt the prettiest.
    man i sound like a snob!

there not great but i dont mind them if i get great food :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

I'm not sure if i posted in this thread before but if not!.......

I <3 govindas,i've only tried the abbey street one during my break from work. It's a bit hit and miss.when it's good it's amazing but otherwise i feel unsatisfied. It's just either food not being hot enough or small portions :(

The staff overall seem nice but there's one small blonde lady who gives massive portions bless her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Well *deep breath* it seems to be an Abbey Street sort of an issue. A lot of the establishments along there have their loos down stairs and are in old buildings where the plumbing isn't the mae west so they get a little smelly. I +1 the tight dimensions mentioned above. But that's all. Don't let it put you off the food!

ronano wrote: »
    The staff overall seem nice but there's one small blonde lady who gives massive portions bless her
    I know, she loads the plate with food... I love her *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I get Govindas sometimes at the markets but have been cheating with the falafel stand lately :D

Don't let it put you off the food!

Ah not to worry, the food itself has already put me off the food!

Ah not to worry, the food itself has already put me off the food!

aww lala, we must go again and try. although it may be the vegan food isnt great, i always go for the paneer, creamy pastas etc so u cud be right about the vegan stuff being yuck!
    :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There isn't much there for a vegan. I usually have loadddds of paneer and a milkshake. their choices would be quite limited

i know they say theyll make something up vegan if u request it.

what exactly would you get there lala?

:eek: they do milkshakes?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

Was there few days ago on abbey street,not the best sadly. Food wasnt overly hot and the portions lacklustre. I'm going to just go in check if the girl is there and then leave if not :P

ronano wrote: »
    Was there few days ago on abbey street,not the best sadly. Food wasnt overly hot and the portions lacklustre. I'm going to just go in check if the girl is there and then leave if not :P

find out her name and ring in advance ;)

• Advertisement

i know they say theyll make something up vegan if u request it.

what exactly would you get there lala?

:eek: they do milkshakes?!

I think I meant smoothies but was quite tired.

Advertisement