Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I ♥ govindas, do you?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mickeymoney

I like the place but I way prefer www.thehappypear.ie in Greystones

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

We went there a few timems and the soup was lovely. It's a nice little place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I used to love paneer cheese but since I am trying to be a vegan I usually have the soup of the day and they are always class!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

aww those soups sound yummy!!!
    def have to make a trip there some day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

i go every couple of weeks...for me its convenient, but nothing special.

it kinda sucks that the vegan option is almost always the same potato dish....the soups are ok, and the salad is ok...but it lacks variety

still i appreciate an easy vegan meal that isnt mad cash

usually i just grab falafel someplace else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I went there for the first time yesterday, the food was quite nice. But I thought the music was dreadful.. the rest of the hare krishna stuff I found interesting though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

raah! wrote: »
    I went there for the first time yesterday, the food was quite nice. But I thought the music was dreadful.. the rest of the hare krishna stuff I found interesting though.

Never been any music when I was there, that i noticed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

It was traditional indian music.. but it wasn't that loud, If you wanted to listen to it you could.

Nonetheless, now that I've been there once I'll probably go there alot more to fill myself up after college, the portions are quite generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I agree about the music, its really terrible!

ah i love the music, adds to the atmosphere! lol
    but i love everything to do with govindas really hehe! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I went there on a reccomendation from a big aul hippie friend back in june. Tis like galway condensed into restaurant form and transplanted into dublin; pure unadulterated hippie, I loved it. The food was damn tasty as well, and very good value. Can't say I remember the music, but I remember reading the ads stuck up ("advanced spiritual yoga" "past life regression" "the hidden potential within your chakras") and thinking "if somebdy had sat down and tried to write a skit about a hippie restaurant this is what they would have written"

But I ate myself silly at that, was coming back/coming down from the radiohad gig at marley, so based on my one visit I have a deifinte affection for the place and highly reccomend it

I went there on a reccomendation from a big aul hippie friend back in june. Tis like galway condensed into restaurant form and transplanted into dublin; pure unadulterated hippie, I loved it. The food was damn tasty as well, and very good value. Can't say I remember the music, but I remember reading the ads stuck up ("advanced spiritual yoga" "past life regression" "the hidden potential within your chakras") and thinking "if somebdy had sat down and tried to write a skit about a hippie restaurant this is what they would have written"

But I ate myself silly at that, was coming back/coming down from the radiohad gig at marley, so based on my one visit I have a deifinte affection for the place and highly reccomend it

that is an awesome idea, a skit set in a govindas style restaurant!!! go make it!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

it's made itself! It's kind of like Food For thought in Galway, but it's funnier because it's not in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

I really like Govindas but being a vegan there isn't as much choice for me unfortunately, they seem very keen on cheese!

I do love the veggie burgers but only the ones on Aungier Street and when they are not over cooked!
    I also love the samosas! Yum Yum!:P

Oh you would love the samosas in their stall in galway, with teh dip, the dip is soooooo good.

mmmm is it in Galway city? I will have to pay a visit there some time soon! I love samosas!

Um, market saturday and sunday in the city. Saturday he has mattar paneer, and his is my favourite thing in the world to eat.

Also some other good stands, like curry, crepes, falafal etc

• Registered Users Posts: 25 InFrame

Um, market saturday and sunday in the city. Saturday he has mattar paneer, and his is my favourite thing in the world to eat.

Mine too! I LOVE Govindas. Everything tastes amazing - I can never choose. As long as it comes with paneer I don't care:rolleyes:

Also some other good stands, like curry, crepes, falafal etc

Excellent! thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Galway :)

InFrame wrote: »

Mine too! I LOVE Govindas. Everything tastes amazing - I can never choose. As long as it comes with paneer I don't care:rolleyes:
    Well if it is n the market I have been known to buy 2 mattar paneers and samosas, greedy boy! In he restaurant in dublin I just make them fill my plate with potatoeybroccolithing and paneer. :)
    Eviecus wrote: »
    Excellent! thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Galway :)
    Maybe for our veggie meet there some day!

• Advertisement

InFrame wrote: »

paneer is the best! :)

im hungry now! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

I love Govindas. I was introduced to Govindas to a meat eating Lactose intolerant friend who loves it. I prefer the Aungier Street Branch. I had no idea there's a Govinda's on Merrion Row, I'm going to check that out this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The Abbey Street branch are cutting the Paneer into very small cubes now, which I love. Extra vegetables in it too. No more golf ball sized chunks left to stew.. I used to skip the Paneer because of the oversized chunks, didn't suit the taste of it, if left on their heating plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Slaygal wrote: »
    I had no idea there's a Govinda's on Merrion Row, I'm going to check that out this weekend.

More spiced I find, their range, also tend to use a different selection of vegetables, from the other branches, Cauliflower etc.

One thing I loathe though, not sure if they still use them, the square plate\bowl things with raised corners. Ugh. Just serve the food in a normal plate, please!

Amalgam wrote: »
    The Abbey Street branch are cutting the Paneer into very small cubes now, which I love. Extra vegetables in it too. No more golf ball sized chunks left to stew.. I used to skip the Paneer because of the oversized chunks, didn't suit the taste of it, if left on their heating plates.

aw no way! that sounds nice, i must try get in there to check it out soon! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Black Thorn

it was great when I was vegi, it's terrible now I'm vegan. there is no variety!

Advertisement