Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ARTS DEGREE

• 11-06-2009 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi i am currently doingmy leaving cert and i have maynoth as my first choice on the cao. anyways i was wondering what an arts degree is like there?
    i am planning on doing geography, the new business course and maybe economic. any advice on what each of the courses are like??
    and also what is maynooth like all together as a college?? if your applying for accomodation on campus, does it have to be done before the leaving results come out??
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Hey, in response to your three subjects I've good mates doing 2 of the 3, and in terms of their feedback...

Basically everyone I know who picked geography seemed to enjoy it,and nobody found it too stressfull. Economics was another story, people who did well in it in the Leaving did fine but some people found it quite tough.
    They would be a smart enough bunch in truth too. I can't overstate the praise for Geography however.

what is maynooth like all together as a college

In a smilie face, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Geography is grand. Pretty nice subject that's fairly simple. Easy to do well in. If you liked it in school you'll probably like it in Maynooth. There's not too much work for it either which is nice. :)

I dunno what the other two subjects are like though, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

I've just finished second year geography, and although I've enjoyed it I wouldn't say it's easy to do well in. While it does depend on the modules you take there can be a lot of reading involved, and some of it's pretty in depth.

Not to put you off or anything, but I personally picked geography in first year as I thought it would be an easy ride, but it involves a lot more work to do well than I expected. But as far as subject material, it's probably broader than most other subject in terms of choice, so you can always find stuff you're interested in.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I found the lecturers in first year economics made the subject a wee bit harder than it actually is!

They used confusing examples and never really explained what the graphs were about at the start of the year.

The course itself(first year) is very easy with 3 out of the 4 modules pretty much just being bits from the leaving cert.
    I would strongly recommend you to forget about the book that they ask you to get and get or indeed use if you did it for the leaving a leaving cert book.
    It's just much better explained than the book that they got us to get this year!

They say that some things are different in their course and there are slight differences sometimes.
    For example Giffen Goods do not exist at college level but that is only one of the very very few examples of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

What is the general opinion of Music as a major in Arts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Anyone thinking of taking law as an arts subject??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

kevwall wrote: »
    Hi i am currently doingmy leaving cert and i have maynoth as my first choice on the cao. anyways i was wondering what an arts degree is like there?
    i am planning on doing geography, the new business course and maybe economic. any advice on what each of the courses are like??
    and also what is maynooth like all together as a college?? if your applying for accomodation on campus, does it have to be done before the leaving results come out??
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

No complaints from the geography department, three good years with them. Good mix of technical/theoretical, and excellent staff

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

I did geography for three years and hated it but that was just because I didn't like the methodologies. The department are the best in the country and I would definitely recommend the political geography modules to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Anyone thinking of taking law as an arts subject??

yeah that and english and french. kinda my deciding factor-was gonna go to tcd but you can't do all three and the points are lower :)

yeah that and english and french. kinda my deciding factor-was gonna go to tcd but you can't do all three and the points are lower :)
    would you be hoping to transfer then into the law degree in 2nd yr? or you just taking law as a 1st yr subject?:rolleyes::eek:

• Advertisement

would you be hoping to transfer then into the law degree in 2nd yr? or you just taking law as a 1st yr subject?:rolleyes::eek:

I was always interested in trying law if I could so if I enjoy it I'll definitely go on with it but I'm thinking of doing journalism later on so it's more so I have something to write about..

Apparently you have to be in top (insert no.) to go into 2nd year but I'm not sure...
    what about you?

I was always interested in trying law if I could so if I enjoy it I'll definitely go on with it but I'm thinking of doing journalism later on so it's more so I have something to write about..

Apparently you have to be in top (insert no.) to go into 2nd year but I'm not sure...
    what about you?
    ya me too, i am going for corp law in nuig but wont get that after my lack of study! would love to keep up with economics and think id love law so who knows maybe ill be in maynooth yet!:rolleyes:

ya me too, i am going for corp law in nuig but wont get that after my lack of study! would love to keep up with economics and think id love law so who knows maybe ill be in maynooth yet!:rolleyes:

I did economics too, might check it out aswell..it's great the way you don't hafta settle on one for awhile.
    Some of the points for law in other places are crazy, specially if you're not sure you'll like it!Don't know much about nuig cos I live in Dublin and am not prepared to venture that far :)
    Haha might see you there!Depends on these results..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stressedcao

Hey does anyone knowpeople who have done psychology through the arts programme? just wondering how hard it is to be in the top 30 percent in order to progress into the psychology degree? is a lot of work invoved?:)

Advertisement