Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a shock today but don't know how

Options
  • 11-06-2009 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭

I was connecting up and outside light today. The cables where already terminated at the fuse board a few days before (apart from the earth) so they were just left there for me to connect up. I took an earth from a nearby socket which was still live. I then turned off the lighting MCB's at the board.

As I was stripping the earth cable for termination, (I think) my arm touched off the live cable and I got a small shock. I double checked the live cable and it was definately dead so I can't work out how I got a bang! I'm completely baffled! :confused: Is it possible to get any shock from this situation at all?

Any wise heads out there?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Is it possible to get any shock from this situation at all?
    Yup!
    What may have happened is that you have something that contains a capacitor on the same circuit (such as a fluorescent) and the capacitor discharged through you.
    I took an earth from a nearby socket which was still live
    Although this is not that big a deal you should be aware that this is bad practice and is against regulations.

Did you use earth sleeving? Perhaps the earth cable touched off a live at the socket, it seems that you never turned off the socket circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

would have been better to use a plastic fitting than pull an earth from a socket.
    the lesson here anyway is to turn off the main switch if in doubt .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Thanks lads. A few plausible ideas mentioned there but I think it must have been witchcraft tbh.

@2011: When you say it's against regulations, do you mean taking an earth from a socket or was it just because it was live while I did it? Just interested tis all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i'm not aware of any rules about working live.taking the earth from the socket mixes up the circuits.bad practice

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

When you say it's against regulations, do you mean taking an earth from a socket or was it just because it was live while I did it?
    I mean taking an earth from one circuit to use with another.

It would be normal for electricians to work on live equipment from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I dont know if anyone else has experienced this but i have sometimes tweaked a nerve in my hand when manipulating wires with a snips that feels identical to a small shock to the hand. Probably not ur zap but i thought id mention it.

i have sometimes tweaked a nerve in my hand when manipulating wires with a snips that feels identical to a small shock to the hand.
    This has happened to me many times. My hand then "locks up" for a few seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

How many neutrals were at the light as a matter of interest?

Advertisement