Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove -- with or with out back boiler

Options
  • 12-06-2009 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi
    Am hoping to put in a wood burning stove and need advice on whether to go for one with a back boiler or without, Our plumber says that if we go with a back boiler it will mean a lot of re routing of pipes and pulling up floors... need some advice, is it worth putting one in with a back boiler to heat around 7 rads...... has anyone any suggestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Is it a wood stove or a multi fuel stove??

Theres no reason why it cant be done , but there are a few things you need to think about...........

What kind of central heating system do you have right now?
    Is it sealed or open vented?

Where is your hot press in relation to where the stove will go?

All of this needs to be looked at before you can decid what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Murph68

thanks demanufactured

its a multi fuel one, and our heating system at present is sealed, and hot press is almost directly above where stove will be going...
    what i am really wondering is will i really save that much on oil if i go with the back boiler and would it be worth all the hassle of re routing pipes etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Murph68 wrote: »
    thanks demanufactured

its a multi fuel one, and our heating system at present is sealed, and hot press is almost directly above where stove will be going...
    what i am really wondering is will i really save that much on oil if i go with the back boiler and would it be worth all the hassle of re routing pipes etc...

You will most likely have to replace you hot water cylinder with a 3 coil cylinder if you don't have one already if i remember correctly. Also depending on who you talk to and the stove you buy I was told with back boiler you really only get enough hot water for taps and won't really heat radiators in any significant manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

cgc5483 wrote: »
    You will most likely have to replace you hot water cylinder with a 3 coil cylinder if you don't have one already if i remember correctly. Also depending on who you talk to and the stove you buy I was told with back boiler you really only get enough hot water for taps and won't really heat radiators in any significant manner.

Someone lied to you.

If its sealed then its usually a big no no to get a solid fuel stove , but i stand to be corrected on this.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Murph68 wrote: »
    Hi
    Am hoping to put in a wood burning stove and need advice on whether to go for one with a back boiler or without, Our plumber says that if we go with a back boiler it will mean a lot of re routing of pipes and pulling up floors... need some advice, is it worth putting one in with a back boiler to heat around 7 rads...... has anyone any suggestions

keep it simple: no BB => no plumbing/pumps => no issues if power cut

• Advertisement
Advertisement