Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New apple tree

Options
  • 12-06-2009 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I've a miniature apple tree in a pot in my front garden - it's one the ones that self-pollinates - two types of apples. This is the first year of it and I have a half recollection that someone said I should snip off apples and restrict growth to 6 or 8 of each batch. The first growth of apples is visible now and there are lots. Anyone know if I should cut off some or just let them grow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Generally you should cut out enough small apples to have only 3-4 per 'cluster'. Usually an apple tree will do some of the work for you by jettisoning excess apples in June (known as the 'June drop'). If you don't thin the numbers out you'll be left with loads of really tiny apples.

As your tree is in a pot make sure you keep it well fed and well watered over the summer.

Advertisement