Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights of People with Disabilities in Ireland

Options
  • 12-06-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a little help, or direction to a website, with information that I'm trying to put together for a project i'm doing on the Rights of People with Disabilities in Ireland.

One section of the project brief asks me to research what are the rights that people with disabilities in Ireland DO NOT HAVE under Irish Law. I just can't seem to find this information on any of the usual websites confused.gif

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

maybebabie wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a little help, or direction to a website, with information that I'm trying to put together for a project i'm doing on the Rights of People with Disabilities in Ireland.

One section of the project brief asks me to research what are the rights that people with disabilities in Ireland DO NOT HAVE under Irish Law. I just can't seem to find this information on any of the usual websites confused.gif

'Research' is not the same thing as 'surf the web for someone else's work'. :PI think you're going to have to do some work on this yourself. I think the person who wrote the project brief did so with the intention of making you do some work yourself.

Check out the Equal Status Acts, Employement Equality Acts, Disability Act, EPSEN Act for details of the rights provided, and work out the gaps for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 maybebabie

I had a strange notion that posting a request for assistance on here might actually be helpful. The last time I used boards.ie I had many helpful responses (regarding driving lessons/driving test) and hooked up with an Instructor who successfully enabled me to pass my driving test last year.

I certainly didn't expect a comment in the guise of a father scolding a lazy child chastising me for not doing my homework properly! You have no idea what research I have undertaken online (yes, some of the places you did suggest, I did look), offline, library, within my community, and the idea you presumed I was looking to steal someone else's hard work is completely insulting to me.

To be honest with you, anyone (new members especially) reading this kind of thread now may find this very off-putting, and be very wary of posting anything for fear of getting a reply like yours. Have you ever heard of "think before you speak" (or type). Just because we're online doesn't mean you should forget about common courtesy or basic manners.

And just a point, the sticky-out-tongued smiley did nothing to soften up your unhelpful attitude... For example... Do you often feel like you're getting a big load off your chest when you click "Submit Reply"? :p (i'm semi-quoting your own blog for that one)

Please don't bother with a sarcastic reply (as refusal often offends :rolleyes: )

I have no wish to carry this on by replying and replying endlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Behold the power of google !

http://www.nda.ie/
    http://www.pwdi.ie/areas_of_action/dlcg.htm

As for the responses you need to keep in mind this is a slow moving forum, glacial even.

I'm sure you'd also get additional info searching the iwa, enable ireland etc sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I had a strange notion that posting a request for assistance on here might actually be helpful. The last time I used boards.ie I had many helpful responses (regarding driving lessons/driving test) and hooked up with an Instructor who successfully enabled me to pass my driving test last year.

I certainly didn't expect a comment in the guise of a father scolding a lazy child chastising me for not doing my homework properly! You have no idea what research I have undertaken online (yes, some of the places you did suggest, I did look), offline, library, within my community, and the idea you presumed I was looking to steal someone else's hard work is completely insulting to me.

To be honest with you, anyone (new members especially) reading this kind of thread now may find this very off-putting, and be very wary of posting anything for fear of getting a reply like yours. Have you ever heard of "think before you speak" (or type). Just because we're online doesn't mean you should forget about common courtesy or basic manners.

And just a point, the sticky-out-tongued smiley did nothing to soften up your unhelpful attitude... For example... Do you often feel like you're getting a big load off your chest when you click "Submit Reply"? :p (i'm semi-quoting your own blog for that one)

Please don't bother with a sarcastic reply (as refusal often offends :rolleyes: )

I have no wish to carry this on by replying and replying endlessly.

I think that's called 'shooting the messenger'. Hope the project goes well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 arlone

try www.mamanpoulet.com , a very knowledgeable lady on this subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Hi Everyone,

Trick question. We have every right under the sun. :)

Although we visually impaired folk don't have the right to drive.......

That's still a tough one though. I've only ever been given what rights I do have and never told what rights I don't have. :confused:

EDIT: Try here

http://www.inclusionireland.ie/PeoplewithanIntellectualDisabilitydonothaveclearRightstomakeDecisions-LawmustbeUpdated.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

'Research' is not the same thing as 'surf the web for someone else's work'. :PI think you're going to have to do some work on this yourself. I think the person who wrote the project brief did so with the intention of making you do some work yourself.

IMO, harsh man. It's a research, like an essay right? So if maybebabie used references and sources I'm sure it'll be perfectly fine. If you've got good information about the topic then you've to use it but source/refer it, that way you won't be criticised for plagarism. Also, isn't that what information is for? To learn and to use it in someway?

The OP needs to research and make some use of the information he/she finds otherwise will they make up stuff?

The web is also hugely helpful for finding information.

Just my thoughts.

Advertisement