Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

24th

AM 8.12 miles @ 6.54 pace

PM 4.1 miles @ 6.59 pace

Today was supposed to be my long run however with work i was stuck on a mid day shift with meant i didnt have enough free time before and was too late after to do a long run so i decided to sawp it with tomorrows training and do my lsr tomorrow instead as i of work and only few hours in college. Legs felt grand this weekend seemed to flush the legs after hard end to the week

25th

Progression run
    PM: 11 miles @ 6.48 pace 4 miles @ 5.56 pace and 1.09 miles @ 7.34 pace (cool down)

Total mileage: 16.09 @ 6.35 pace

I knew that todays run was gonna be a hard one but it was to give me an indication of just how realistic my goals are in the up comingm half marathon. The plan was 10 @7 pace and 5 @ six however waiting on one of the lads from the club we got an extra mile so i said why not. Run started slowish but got tiny bit faster every mile to average at 6.48 from here we then hit the fast tempo miles and started off little to fast in sub 5.50 pace at first but quickly leveled off after three miles we were back to six pace but i push on to drop the pace again. Overall happy with the session but not gonna lie i was pooped after four which is why i left it at four fast miles. despite the overall run being faster than expected the fact that i didnt get the las mile in had me not fully satisfied with the session but i think that is just me being bit of a perfectionist never satisfied

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

ecoli wrote: »
    25th

Progression run
    PM: 11 miles @ 6.48 pace 4 miles @ 5.56 pace and 1.09 miles @ 7.34 pace (cool down)

Total mileage: 16.09 @ 6.35 pace

Great run. 4 @ 5.56 during an 11 miler is impressive in my book.

Great run. 4 @ 5.56 during an 11 miler is impressive in my book.

Thanks i should prob clarify though that i did eleven before i did them 4 miles at that pace. I am really happy though it a nice confidence booster just hoping to get 10 miler hopefully if i am off work for mallow it will give me an indication of whther 75 is a reasonable goal for half marathon in 5 weeks

26th

AM 3.1 miles @ 7.34 pace

Afternoon 30 min core work

PM 7.19 miles @ 7.46 pace

Today was just recovery pace after yesterdays run so was just a chance to flush out the legs and start a few more hard days coming up. Over the last week had been noticed that my posture at the end of sessions was struggling a bit and i began to lean awkwardly forward as i began to tire. This is an indication that my core is pretty weak which is understandable as i have neglected it very much so i plan to add this 4-5 times a week as i dont want to risk an injury so soon before the half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

your core will come into play heavily over the last 3-4mile in the half, and keeping form will be key to staying on pace.

I reckon your in 79-80min shape right now.

good luck ahead

Been a bit of a mad week but here goes

27th

1 mile warm up
    11x400m w/200m jog recovery

target time: 75

Splits: 74,76,74,75,75,74,75,74,74,75,76

The plan was to do twenty and was feeling good however calf started tightening around 8th rep and start of the twelfth went altogether. With my core last night i decided to incorporate calf exercises which physio gave me a while back as injury prevention and i think i over did it night before session on a very hard track the reason i reckon for this

28th

3.51 miles easy

With calf still kinda at me i took this day easy as have big session tomorrow

29th

2 mile warm up 2x2 mile 3 min recovery 1x2k all HMP 1 mile warm up

splits: 11.26, 11.27 7.09

Didnt expect to get through this session as plan was 4 but i just said i would run as much as i could to see how the leg would hold up. The only saving thing was i found doing warm up it was only the quicker stuff that took out of my calf so i thought HMP my leg might hold up. on the thrid rep it began to tighten so i pulled up before it actually did damage and cost me some training and lookig to get a massage next week to sort it

30th

14.99 miles @ 7.34 pace

Just an easy long run the leg was not too bad as the pace was slow but i can still feel that it there so i may have to hold off on sessions till i get it sorted

• Advertisement

31st

8.5 miles easy @ 6.57 pace

Starting to feel; it in my lower back rather than my claf and i think that this could be the source of the discomfort. Still it is discomfort and not pain so hopefully not too serious

1st Feb

AM 3.51 miles @ 7.34 pace

PM 6.7 miles @ 6.55 pace

Hoping to get to physio tomorrow so i can get the all clear for session on wed

2nd Feb

AM 3.21 miles @ 7.40 pace

PM 7.86 mile @ 7.00 pace

No physio today he couldnt fit me in so i am in first thing in the morning

3rd Feb

Physio

He was able to identify the problem straight away as my Sacra - Iliac joint (lower back) and that this was a result of just wear and tear due to the pounding of hard miles. The good news was that was easily treatable and i would not result in a period off. After a good massage and stretch to try and work it out he then told me that no running today so i have to leave my session but i can go back as soon as tomorrow. Have to head back next week for another massage on it and he is designing me an exercise plan of stretches and that to build up the strength in my lower back and hip

4th Feb

Am 3.62 miles

PM 6.72 miles

5th Feb

Rest

6th Feb

8.5 miles

6th Feb

7.62 miles

7th Feb

8.61 miles

8th Feb

Am 3.52 miles

PM 8.61 miles

9th Feb

3 miles

Still struggling with injury back to the physio tomorrow and gonna get him to work on the calf because it has gotten worse while the lower back has gotten better the calf has got worse so hopefully tomorrow will go well as i have a session planned for that evening as this will be my last week to get sessions in before taper for the Half marathon though to be honest the last few weeks have been a mini disaster as i havent had many good sessions since christmas.

10th Feb

Physio

Went back today to see what the story was hoping that the calf was just tight and needed a bit of massaging but i was gutted to hear it was actually grade one muscle tear or at very best just on the verge of a tear. This means very little running for the rest of the week which is not a good thing so i have to get creative as this is the last hard week i have until the half marathon so all together not good way to build up to a race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

10th Feb

Physio

Went back today to see what the story was hoping that the calf was just tight and needed a bit of massaging but i was gutted to hear it was actually grade one muscle tear or at very best just on the verge of a tear. This means very little running for the rest of the week which is not a good thing so i have to get creative as this is the last hard week i have until the half marathon so all together not good way to build up to a race
    join the club iof the grade 1 tear, just be smart and take your time , you'll be back joggin by the end of the week and the forced rest might help come half mara , what date is your race? Lots of RICE and stretching once the physio give the thumbs up.
    Been fighting the same problem for a while, but I wasnt so smart and kept running on it..

shels4ever wrote: »
    join the club iof the grade 1 tear, just be smart and take your time , you'll be back joggin by the end of the week and the forced rest might help come half mara , what date is your race? Lots of RICE and stretching once the physio give the thumbs up.
    Been fighting the same problem for a while, but I wasnt so smart and kept running on it..

Thankfully the physio has been great he wants me running atleast once or twice before i come back to him this time next week and he realises the importance of this race so he is doing everything with the half in mind which is great as it is rare to get a physio who takes an understanding bout what training means. The race is 28th of Feb so i have two and a half weeks however rest is the last thing on my mind as i had a session planned today and as i couldnt run i had to improvise ( with the approval of my physio of course)

10th Feb

Afternoon
    AquaRunning intervals

10 min warm up (swimming) 12 x (40sec hard aqua running, 1.20 recovery) 5 min cool down

As i am not used to the pool this was a killer but glad to get some sort of session. This is idea for me as i not supposed to do weight bearing stuff for a few days so by doing it in the pool you are reducing the pressure put on your legs to roughly 7% of the normal pressure you are while running. Later plan to hit the bike for a bit to as that was the other option the physio proposed

10th Feb

Afternoon
    AquaRunning intervals

10 min warm up (swimming) 12 x (40sec hard aqua running, 1.20 recovery) 5 min cool down

As i am not used to the pool this was a killer but glad to get some sort of session. This is idea for me as i not supposed to do weight bearing stuff for a few days so by doing it in the pool you are reducing the pressure put on your legs to roughly 7% of the normal pressure you are while running. Later plan to hit the bike for a bit to as that was the other option the physio proposed

PM
    30 min exercise bike
    30 min core
    15 min exercise bike

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Thankfully the physio has been great he wants me running atleast once or twice before i come back to him this time next week and he realises the importance of this race so he is doing everything with the half in mind which is great as it is rare to get a physio who takes an understanding bout what training means. The race is 28th of Feb so i have two and a half weeks however rest is the last thing on my mind as i had a session planned today and as i couldnt run i had to improvise ( with the approval of my physio of course)

10th Feb

Afternoon
    AquaRunning intervals

hey ecoli, just wondering whether you have the full Aquarunning suit for these sessions or do you just use a floatation belt? The aquarunning definitely appeals to me but the cost of the full suit is a wee bit prohibitive at the moment

• Advertisement

hey ecoli, just wondering whether you have the full Aquarunning suit for these sessions or do you just use a floatation belt? The aquarunning definitely appeals to me but the cost of the full suit is a wee bit prohibitive at the moment

Aqua belt does the job for me as it is only used during injury so it doesnt warrant buying the full suit

11th Feb

30 min exercise bike

strapped for time today as when i got to the club to use the exercise bike the lads were getting ready to close up for the afternoon so i was forced to cut it short

11th Feb

30 min exercise bike

strapped for time today as when i got to the club to use the exercise bike the lads were getting ready to close up for the afternoon so i was forced to cut it short

PM 30 min core

due to the fact that i am not running at the moment core has become paramount. This could be a blessing in disguise as i could just improve it to an unprecedented level that will help boost the performance in the dying stages of the race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

PM 30 min core

due to the fact that i am not running at the moment core has become paramount. This could be a blessing in disguise as i could just improve it to an unprecedented level that will help boost the performance in the dying stages of the race

I deffo agree, its helping me with the xc anyways. More strength in the legs. Once fit, it should'nt take too long to get back where you were in terms of running.. Good luck with the recovery anyways.

12th Feb

Rest

13th Feb

40 min swim + 30 min core

Feb 14th

30 min core

Feb 15th

8.5 miles easy (7.30 pace)

Feb 16th

8 miles easy (7.30 pace)

Delighted to be back running though this week is a bit weird i feel guilty for not trying to get in some last min sessions but at the same time just gonna have to stick to my taper and just hope that the work i have been putting in over last few months (minus the not ideal sessions since xmas) will get me through

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good to see you back on the road. Which half marathon is the target?

Good to see you back on the road. Which half marathon is the target?

Torreveja in Spain its on sunday week so not too much longer left

17th Feb

2 mile warm up, 1500m TT 2 mile cool down

Time: 4.30

This was my last bit of fast work before the half in ten days so the idea was to be a bit of a blow out without taking too much out of the body. after the go ahead from physio this morning he said the calf was perfect and should have no problems. The time trial itself was very controled with 73 first lap and 71 second and felt strong the was tempted to realy push it to get close to my pb (4.22) but decided not to increase the pace at all. Gave me huge confidence how strong i felt after as normally would be pretty tired considering last 1500m i was jacked in 4.27 and that was in a race. from here on in it just a taper and ease up

17th Feb

2 mile warm up, 1500m TT 2 mile cool down

Time: 4.30

This was my last bit of fast work before the half in ten days so the idea was to be a bit of a blow out without taking too much out of the body. after the go ahead from physio this morning he said the calf was perfect and should have no problems. The time trial itself was very controled with 73 first lap and 71 second and felt strong the was tempted to realy push it to get close to my pb (4.22) but decided not to increase the pace at all. Gave me huge confidence how strong i felt after as normally would be pretty tired considering last 1500m i was jacked in 4.27 and that was in a race. from here on in it just a taper and ease up

+ 30 core work

• Advertisement

18th Feb

7.8 miles easy @7.27 pace
    Lots of stretching

With being in my taper now just about keeping the legs ticking over without taking anything out of them so the next week of training going to be very easy reducing the mileage

Advertisement