Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ECOLII wrote: »
    Wow 5th page of the forum, says alot :o

Saturday OFF
    Sunday OFF

Saturday comprised of Donadea in morning, work in evening and then salvage the relationship that night following on from said absenteeism :D Was meant to do a few loops while in Donadea but between one thing and another by time I got around to it was too late as a physically distressed Dory Dory diverted my attention from my own run.

Sunday was working 10-7 on the back of 2 hours sleep so needless to say common sense prevailed and a long night sleep was in order.

Monday 4 miles easy (7.37 min pace)

This week will be all about tipping over as between one thing and another I will have the best part of 13-14 hour days from Monday through Thursday plus being race weekend I am not too worried about reduced load as long as I get out running.

Not sure how to read that - did the relationship take a lot of salvaging or did you have a great night :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

kit3 wrote: »
    Not sure how to read that - did the relationship take a lot of salvaging or did you have a great night :rolleyes:

Haha whoops that probably phrased poorly (surprised one of the usual suspects didn't pounch on it)

Simply had to make an appearance given I had been gone from 8am till 11 pm between one thing and another :D Suppose alarm bells would probably have been ringing had it not bothered her that I wasn't around for it :P

Haha whoops that probably phrased poorly (surprised one of the usual suspects didn't pounch on it)

Simply had to make an appearance given I had been gone from 8am till 11 pm between one thing and another :D Suppose alarm bells would probably have been ringing had it not bothered her that I wasn't around for it :P

You phrased it just fine (to give ammunition that is :pac:). Don't worry the usual suspects will be along in a while. She might be a bit more concerned if she were to read the description in Dory's log between sweeping her off her feet & piggy back rides you sure had a busy day ;)

You phrased it just fine (to give ammunition that is :pac:). Don't worry the usual suspects will be along in a while. She might be a bit more concerned if she were to read the description in Dory's log between sweeping her off her feet & piggy back rides you sure had a busy day ;)

Haha I am a multi purpose coach :D

To be fair I was also cheering on other boardsies and giving support as they looked back in bemusement as to who the feck I was ;)

You should have worn your boards name around your neck - could have said hello then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You should have worn your boards name around your neck - could have said hello then :)

If he wore his Rudolph tights people would have known who he was, he would have stood out a mile :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

When's your next race? You need something to focus on! Too much Mickey dazzling and excuses going on here for my liking :)

sweeping her off her feet & piggy back rides you sure had a busy day ;)
    Haha I am a multi purpose coach :D

Well TBL, do you get the same treatment ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well TBL, do you get the same treatment ??

Well Kit, let's just say if Rudolph gave me a piggy back it's safe to say that he'd never dance again :)

TbL

When's your next race? You need something to focus on! Too much Mickey dazzling and excuses going on here for my liking :)

Next race is this Sunday don't worry however your right there has been a little dip last two weeks.

• Advertisement

Tuesday OFF

Between work, travel etc this was an 18 hour day so by the time I arrived home at midnight knowing I was back in work at 7 that a run tonight would probably negatively affect me sleep and recovery wise later down the week.

Was down in Athlone for a coaching seminar last night with Honore Hoedt. A very interesting presentation and discussion and while not re-inventing the wheel definitely gave great insights into athlete development, race distance profiling as well as honest and transparent detailing of his own athletes (including world no.1 Sifar Hassan). Definitely worth the trip down and fair play to AAI for hosting it.

Wednesday 4 miles easy (7.27 min pace)

Thursday OFF

Friday 4.5 miles easy (7.33 min pace)

Saturday 20 min recovery

Not the most fruitful of weeks but with effectively 18 hours between when I started the day and when I had the opportunity to actually run alot of the time sleep took precidence, not exactly the kinda build up week you want to your 1st National Senior Track Championship :o

Pressure was off to an extent on this one, Given the week I had, a bad night sleep the night before I was just doing my best to stay awake. Immediately knew PB was not on the cards so just go out and enjoy the experience (although there was a tiny voice who remained ever hopeful that it would be one of those stories where you have no expectations, pressure off and you run out of your skin)

Got down in plenty of time and picked up the event program to see who was listed in the race - Blakenship, O Lionaird, Pollock, Travers, Coghlan, O Neill - this was going to be fun :rolleyes: There was a much bigger field than last year however so I knew they were going to have to split the races and more than likely seed them so I figured I would get luck enough and not have them in the race (thought's of being lapped 3 times was not the most appealing one)

Felt decent in the warm up and lined up to see the odd familiar face. Lined up and was ready to go, bang the gun was off an immediately I slotted to the back and just tagged on to the lad ahead. Felt relaxed the field was fairly well packed, maybe I wasn't out of my depth. 200m hit and I see leaders hitting 31 and me at the back in 33/34. Didn't worry too much as the first lap of races vying for position always tend to be fairly quick. Come around again stuck to the North Cork lads heels and hear the lap counter shout "63" for the leader :eek::eek: I came through in 70 and panic began to set in as I was running at 1500 pace so I knew it was not gonna end pretty. Thankfully I wasn't the only one as a few seemed to apply the breaks at this point but the damage was done as the splits reeled off

1.49, 2.27, 3.04.

All I could do at this stage was pray to gold strength would get me through it however I hadn't been working on strength the last few months so it was not quite a comfort. Hit the 1500m in 4.43 slightly slower than my split last summer when I PB'ed and I was going the wrong way here. I was still on North Corks shoulder however so I was still in touch with field. somewhat.

Come 2k and it became apparent that I wasn't the only one suffering as I now moved 2 placed up without passing anyone. Dug in and got around and tried to finish strong but a fairly demoralizing 9.37 (later to realise that the clock was froze on the guy ahead of me and I ended up with 9.48)

Bad race but it was what it was, This block was about one thing which was speed and I feel that even though I don't have the results it show for it I definitely achieved it as my goal so now time to go back to what I know as I build for the summer assaults on 5k/10k times

Monday 5 miles easy (7.15 min pace)

Monday PM Gym

New Garmin, Gym Membership renewed and back to basics. Miserable weather for the run but tipped along not feeling too bad after the race the previous day

Gym work paying a bit more attention to periodization of strength resistance work and functionality of what I am doing. What I did last year worked well, this time I am just trying to make it a little more stream line.

Had planned on getting out again that evening but felt fairly nauseated in evening so got an early night instead

Tuesday Session

3.1 miles easy
    1 mile jog bends/stride straights
    16x400 w/ 100 jog (40-45 sec) recovery
    2 miles easy

Splits
    81, 79, 80, 81
    80, 80, 80, 81
    80, 80, 79, 80
    79, 81, 81, 79

First session in a while with a bit more volume. Major case of DOMs in the legs making knee lift a bit on the poor side coupled with the weather had these pretty poor pace wise but consistent and the right effort was there so I won't complain too much

Body is definitely not happy with me this week :P

Wednesday 5 miles easy (8.21 min pace)

Nice and handy one around Tymon this morning just to flush out the legs and give the DOMS a chance to settle. Bit of company for this one to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

What are DOMS?

What are DOMS?

Delayed Onset Muscle soreness, effectively the muscles way of saying "dear sweet jesus what are you doing to me" either using them in a way you have never done before or a way in which you haven't worked them in a good while :p

Thursday AM 4 miles easy (7.15 min pace) + Gym

Handy one around Tymon before hitting the gym. Wind was bad enough so I wimped out and chose a more favourable route :o

Down to the Gym then to see a familiar face despite never having met them, Lord Bolton himself from Game of Thrones who awkwardly had a similar routine to mine meaning that it looked like I was following him.

Dug deep on those final few reps for the Stark family :p

Handy one around Tymon before hitting the gym. Wind was bad enough so I wimped out and chose a more favourable route :o

Down to the Gym then to see a familiar face despite never having met them, Lord Bolton himself from Game of Thrones who awkwardly had a similar routine to mine meaning that it looked like I was following him.

I'd say he'd only have been worried if you were wearing your ballet tights

• Advertisement

I'd say he'd only have been worried if you were wearing your ballet tights

Haha nope, gym has implemented a rule to ban them for fear of intimidation :p

Thursday PM 6 miles easy (7.19 min pace)

Not the greatest of runs, Disaster in work so had to work through my lunch, lucky I had and emergency food stash for such a matter but after gym and run this morning was not really enough to sustain me so hit one or two bad moments mid run but kept it handy

Friday Session

5 miles easy,
    8 x 1 mile @ HM w/ 75 sec recovery
    1 mile cooldown

Splits 6.00, 5.58, 6.00, 5.59, 6.02, 6.03, 6.01, 6.05

Now that is a session to kick start the aerobic base :P Warm up ended up being a bit longer than planned as met up with one of the old training partners who was doing a few easy miles shakeout before racing this weekend, from here I was back to one of my old haunts up by the old house so chose a fair mile strip. Wind was pretty poxy and I was never hitting the paces I had intended but effort was there for sure, legs were still a bit heavy from gym yesterday so was about trying to keep this controlled.

On the 5th one I was having doubts whether I would finish so I said I would move off the strip and started to make my way in the direction of home just in case I had to bail, was managing to just about hold on to pace though and I knew by the 6th one I had the last two in me.

Last one and despite the legs not feeling the worst no matter how hard I pushed I could not get the pace down, I don't know whether it was wind, fatigue or what but just wasn't happening.

Finished with a 1 mile shuffle to give me 15 for the day which pretty much blew up my strava given that this is the 1st week I have used it as I set everything from my fastest 1 mile to HM along the way:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Savage stuff!

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Savage stuff!

A matter of perspective, this time last year I would have managed those 8 in around the same splits without the recoveries :o

Definitely lacking strength but it's still early days so I will take it as a starting point for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

You're lucky he didn't skin you!

Saturday 3.5 miles easy (7.45 pace) + Hip Mobility/plyometrics

Met up with dublinrunner for this one, in terms of the run I was fairly fried to the point where when we opted out of taking the Parkrun in to tag on a few miles I was utterly delighted.

It had been a while since I had done this routine so it was just an introductory one to remind the legs, nothing too strenuous but enough to wake up the legs.

Sunday OFF

A few too many celebratory drinks coupled with a 7am start meant went for a quick nap after work that effectively turned into a sleep :o. Fact I got 15 in on Friday I wasn't overly concerned about missing long run today especially as it was 1st heavy week bacl

Monday AM 6 mile easy (7.13 min pace)
    Monday PM 8 miles easy (7.21 min pace)

1st one calves were seized as sometimes happens after a day off (when actually string together a bit of decent miles in a week) so I made the 1st run that bit shorter. Second run was after lectures and was frosty but enjoyable

Tuesday AM Session

3.1 miles easy,
    1 mile jog bends/stride straights
    6x1k w/ 2.30 walk/jog rec
    1.3 miles easy

Splits: 3.21, 3.20, 3.21, 3.22, 3.23, 3.25

Windy as hell for this one so despite the splits being a good way off where I wanted them to be time wise ultimately I was quite happy with it. Wheels came off the last one so had to dig deep the last 200m to recover (came through 800 in 2.48)

Tuesday PM GYM

A good effort despite the tired legs, a little annoyed at grip strength during the deadlifts and definitely an area I need to work on but its early days on gym work yet.

Wednesday 7 miles easy (7.45 min pace)

Handy one with one of the lads from the club, was happy to keep this one nice and easy after the previous day. Not sore but more a heaviness

Thursday 7 miles easy (7.20 min pace)

Felt same as the day before so the motivation was waning a little, pace felt fine despite the mental protestations

Friday Session

2 miles easy, 7 miles MP, 2 easy

Splits 7 miles in 43.51 (6.16 average pace)

(6.16, 6.10, 6.17, 6.16, 6.19, 6.11, 6.22)

Met up with DR for this one and needed it given the weather I knew this one wasn't gonna be pretty although once we got going it wasn't too bad. Felt controlled the whole way round so despite body not feeling great I was hitting the right paces and effort levels. Running is a funny old sport

Saturday OFF

The OH's birthday night out took it's toll so while had recovery run planned this didn't happen as I just about was functioning for work :o. Thankfully thats the 2 Birthdays and Valentines out of the way so a few less boozy occasions and can go back to normality :D

Sunday 12 miles easy (7.12 min mile pace)

Had planned on meeting the wolf before work for long run but things transpired against me and couldn't make it (sorry again) so this was a late night run getting out just before midnight for Strava's purposes to keep it from showing 2 rest days in a week :P.
    Felt great on the run really cruising but was just down to the fresh legs I would imagine

Monday 4 miles easy (7.32 min mile pace)

Just a handy leg loosener nothing too drastic

Tuesday AM Session

3 miles easy,
    12 x 290m hills (approx) 2 min jog back rec
    2 miles easy

Something definitely lacking in my training the last mile. This was a tough enough one, first few was working but not too bad, middle few a little bit slow as the local schools let out meaning one or two where I ended up bobbing and weaving. Last few and it was driving hard and doing my best to hold form

Reps ranged from 54-59 sec but a good workout and overall I was pleased that the urge to drop out of session came and went.

Tuesday PM 30 min Gym

A bit lack lustred if I am honest more going through the motions than actually getting much quality work done but squats went relatively well so not complete waste of time

Wednesday 15 miles fartlekish (7.13 min pace excluding cooldown)

Met up with Quirky, Tbl and Dublin runner for a TBL marathon session (4,3,2,1 @ MPE w/ 1 mile easy between). Down an man early one due to niggles. First few miles were into the wind, next few miles were as well, 3/4s of way through and wind still battering us and guess what last few miles were into the wind as well. I have never been so relentlessly battered by the wind no matter what direction we turned I think the 2 mile second was a respite and was about 30 sec per mile quicker with slightly easier effort. The last mile was straight into the wind and me and DR were trying to save face as we were struggling just as much as TBL, my normal coaching cues were now reminders to myself as I was near HM effort to try and hold pace driving the knees and arms just to stay in the low sevens. Despite this the quicker miles were all under 7 and there were three very content heads after what ended up being a tough workout for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

:D Did you really head out at 11:55 to appease the Strava God's?

Advertisement