Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thanks for the support guys it really means alot. Now that that is out of the way however its back to the grind body still recovering but plans are already in line for the summer. The plan is to now tackle my shorter PBs which will be everything from 800m to 10k but the ultimate goal will possibly to hit National Seniors in the steeple chase depending on how the next few months go.
    So let the log continue . . . . . . . . . .

2nd March

3.42 miles @ 7.58 mile pace
    lots of stretching

legs still in agony so i plan on taking it very easy over to next few days building back up and have an appointment with physio on thursday just to get checked out after the race and a massage to loosen me out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Yeah, i have to agree thats a scary time! (scary in a good way :D) - well done. Would love to get close to that time in the Dublin half this year..

3rd March

5.56 miles @ 7.08 min pace

Legs are starting to get back to normality but still quite stiff so hopefully two three more days and they will be back to normal so i can get back into proper training

4th March

AM Massage

PM 5.06 miles @ 7.58 pace

Legs are feeling better now only thing that is still tight is my calves but got the okay from the physio so body in tact and i can start back into hard training as planned come monday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

See your planning on racing 800m-10k over the summer do you think you'd be better to focus on one area , 800m-10k is a huge range really, or will you be training for the long stuf fand jsut use 800m races to shapen up?

shels4ever wrote: »
    See your planning on racing 800m-10k over the summer do you think you'd be better to focus on one area , 800m-10k is a huge range really, or will you be training for the long stuf fand jsut use 800m races to shapen up?

My training is going to be designed specifically for steeplechase i am going to do one or two shorter races as sharpeners and while i wont be training specifically for these races i will still be looking to take chunks off my PBs just as a result of the strength i have aquired over the last six months i feel i am in the best shape of my life but my speed is the one thing lacking which will be an aspect i intend to address without compromising my strength so my mileage will remain roughly the same. The difference will be with my sessions which i hope to include 1 strength, 1 speed and 1 steeple session most weeks. Another aspect which is going to be incorporated is plyometric and hurdle drill work which is going to be key

ecoli wrote: »
    My training is going to be designed specifically for steeplechase i am going to do one or two shorter races as sharpeners and while i wont be training specifically for these races i will still be looking to take chunks off my PBs just as a result of the strength i have aquired over the last six months i feel i am in the best shape of my life but my speed is the one thing lacking which will be an aspect i intend to address without compromising my strength so my mileage will remain roughly the same. The difference will be with my sessions which i hope to include 1 strength, 1 speed and 1 steeple session most weeks. Another aspect which is going to be incorporated is plyometric and hurdle drill work which is going to be key
    Sounds good best of luck with the steeple , ran one years ago and its a hard event.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Sounds good best of luck with the steeple , ran one years ago and its a hard event.

Yeah i love it though i did it as a juvenille and have a pretty good hurdling technique so it seems to suit me better as a cant really compete when it comes to the flat in terms of foot speed on the track

Yeah i love it though i did it as a juvenille and have a pretty good hurdling technique so it seems to suit me better as a cant really compete when it comes to the flat in terms of foot speed on the track

I trained over the hurdles for a while and was told that I was the worst hurdler in ireland :) add that to been the worse high jumper ever I was doing well... , Still got me around just about .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Ecoli, how do you do the steeple sessions? I mean, I know whats involved (run then jump :confused:) but how do you organise it? Excuse my ignorance, I'm just curious.

Ecoli, how do you do the steeple sessions? I mean, I know whats involved (run then jump :confused:) but how do you organise it? Excuse my ignorance, I'm just curious.

We are all students in some disciplines:p The sessions themselves will be fairly straight forward sessions like 400s and 800m reps over barriers. The importance is put of hurdle drills is key lining up five or 6 hurdles close together doing step over exercises working on the technique of both lead and trail leg. With the demand put on the hips my core work is alot going to have to take alot more core work and my training workload is going to increase without extra mileage so it will be alot more strengthening and conditioning work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

ecoli you're brilliant for sharing the information. Thanks for educating all of us amateurs - it really is a great help.

And excellent work last week! Congratulations!

7th March

11 miles easy in 75 min

Garmin was left at home today as i dont wanna be caughht up with paces until i back in full training from tomorrow. Legs were still a bit heavy but i didnt mind too much as the pace was still comfortable and this was the longest i have done since the race last week. Tomorrow its back to the grind big time being the first time in about a month i am back to doubles so it should be interesting. To be honest i am dying to get back

8th March

AM
    4.98 miles @7.24 pace
    30 min core workout

PM
    2 mile warm up
    1x ( 1 mile w/90 sec recovery 1km)
    2x ( 1 mile w/90 sec recovery 800m)
    3 min recovery between sets
    2 mile cool down

Splits
    5.27, 3.28
    5.29, 2.46
    5.31, 2.45

Back with a bang today. The session was supposed to be 6x1 mile but it was a bit ambitious considering only a week after the half and with the times being so fast and my lack of speed endurance training i decided to modify. Happy with how it went and should get a bit easier in a couple of weeks as i develop the speed endurance

Total Mileage: 13

9th March

AM

8.04 miles @ 6.38 pace
    30 mins hurdle drills and plyometrics

10th March

AM

Workout @ 1500m pace:
    2 mile warm up,

800m (2.22)
    3 min recovery
    4x400m w/ 1 min recovery (68,68,70,71)
    3 min recovery
    4x300m w/ 100m jog recovery (50,52,53,52)

2 mile cool down

This was my first major anaerobic workout of the year. It was certainly a shock to the system but it will get easier in time. Happy with the times though the only thing that bothered me was my form was very poor one the lactic kicked in and i really suffered through it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

10th March

AM

Workout @ 1500m pace:
    2 mile warm up,

800m (2.22)
    3 min recovery
    3 min recovery

2 mile cool down

This was my first major anaerobic workout of the year. It was certainly a shock to the system but it will get easier in time. Happy with the times though the only thing that bothered me was my form was very poor one the lactic kicked in and i really suffered through it

Very good times over 400m. i did 9 x 400 with 300m recovery last week and my fastest was 74 seconds!

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Very good times over 400m. i did 9 x 400 with 300m recovery last week and my fastest was 74 seconds!

Thanks now that i am back focusing on track i have to get the speed back up to scratch and more importantly speed endurance which is still lacking. From the last 6 months i know i have the aerobic base but now have to work on the weaker aspects which is why my Wed sessions are to become my most important session of the week.

10th March

AM

Workout @ 1500m pace:
    2 mile warm up,

800m (2.22)
    3 min recovery
    3 min recovery

2 mile cool down

PM

4.14 miles @ 8.03 pace

• Advertisement

11th March

Rest day

Due to unforseen circumstances not able to get out today so i have to find a way to get out on sunday which not gonna be easy as had taken that as my rest day for that exact reason.

12th March

AM
    5.29 miles @ 7.07 pace

PM
    2.67 miles warm up, 5 mile tempo in 29.32 (5.56 pace), 1.33 mile cool down
    30 min core work

Given the fact that this was a hilly route and I was in leggings coming off first full week back in hard training i was delighted with this as i felt pretty comfortable. Need to maintain these kind of sessions over the next few months to keep the strength up and they also are less severe on the body compared to my intervals sessions which is important as my biggest worry for the summer season is injury prevention and just getting the training consistently week in week out.

Sat 13 March

14.17 miles @ 6.51 pace

Was tipping along very nicely for first eight feeling really easy until had to make and unscheduled pit stop which completely broke my momentum and laboured on for the last six leaving out about two mile.

Sunday 14th
    Rest

Heading away for a bit of warm weather training this week with the college so it should be great for getting a good group of training partners and really get me into track shape so here is the planned week schedule as not sure whether i will get to a computer over there. I will update whether training planned out this way as with nearly 50 runners over there it will be a bit of a mix and match of training sessions and that so it is subject to change (mainly sessions)

Monday
    40 min easy
    6x1000m@5k pace (3.10)w/ 200m jog recovery
    Tuesday
    Rest
    Wednesday
    40 min easy
    1 hour easy
    Thursday
    40 min easy
    8x400m@1500m pace (70) w/70 recovery
    Friday
    40 min easy
    1 hour easy
    Saturday
    40 min easy
    5 mile tempo (sub 30)
    Sunday
    LSR
    Monday
    40 min easy
    6x800m@1500m pace (2.20)w/ 2 min recovery

Back from Portugal pretty pooped but alotogether feeling reall good with how it went so here is an update on how it went

Monday
    AM
    4 miles easy

PM
    2 mile warm up 6x1k w/jog 200m recovery
    3.15, 3.14, 3.13, 3.18, 3.21 3.16

Tue
    7.6 miles steady

Wed
    AM
    5 mile easy

PM
    2 mile warm up 8x400m w/200 jog recovery 2 mile cooldown
    Hurdle drills + plyometrics
    Core work

Thurs
    Am
    5 mile easy

PM
    8 miles easy

Fri
    AM
    5 mile easy

PM
    2 mile warm up 6x800 w/200 jog recovery 2 mile cool down
    2.27, 2.24, 2.32, 2.34, 2.34, 2.33
    Hurdle drills + plyometrics

Sat
    200,400,600,800,600,400,200 (w/ 200,400,600,800,600,400 recovery)

Sun
    Rest

Mon
    AM
    5 mile easy

PM
    2 mile warm up fartlek 4x(5 min on 2 min off) 1 mile cool down

All in all i really happy with the weeks training. The training group that i had over there was comprised from mostly middle distance guys (sub 2 min 800 guys) so it was great to have this speed based training week to start getting me ready for the shorter distances that i will be doing over the summer.

Tues

Rest

Wed
    AM
    4 mile easy

Thurs
    AM
    4 mile easy

PM
    2 mile warm up 2x(4*400m over hurdles w/200m jog recovery) walk 200m in between sets

Spilts: 78,78,78,81

Possibly one the hardest sessions i have done in a long while as even though i have been doing hurdle drills this was the first session over barriers and the chopping and changing of pace really took its toll. Ideally will be looking to get as close to 10 min for the steeple this year so these are the kinda spilts that i need to be hitting though. I really need to work on maintaining my form once i get tired as it dipped in the last two to three reps and even went as far as to clip a hurdle on sixth rep

Sat

Rest

Sun

Rest

Last week was a bit of a disaster between college work and not sleeping great but i suppose that need a down week every now and then so i will take it as just that. Now on to the fresh start.

Monday
    AM
    4.1 miles easy @ 7.29 pace

PM
    2 mile warm up, Progression tempo (2mile/1mile/1/2 mile) pace: (HM/10k/5k) 3.17 miles easy

2 mile: 5.55/mile pace 1 mile: 5.45 1/2 mile: 5.35 mile pace
    Overall: 8.57 miles @ 6.42 pace

Didnt feel great tonight but was still hitting the paces so not the worst was meant to do two reps of this progression but thought i would listen to the body and stick to one

Tuesday 30/3/10

AM
    3.82 miles@ 7.24 mile pace

PM
    8.76 miles @ 6.58 pace

Still feeling kinda sluggish today but should be okay as the week goes on i feel hopefully

Wednesday 31-3-10

AM 3.87 miles easy

PM
    1 mile warm up 1200m (3min recovery) 800m(2min) 400m(5min)
    300(3min) 250(3min) 200(3min) 150(3min) 100 1 mile cool down

Splits:
    1200m:3.47 250m:37
    800m:2.28 200m:29
    400m:66 150m: 20
    300m:45 100m: 13.5

Legs were not good going into this session were fairly tight and sore so i said i would take it easy at start and go from there. Happy enough with how it went and was an enjoyable session as it was with the group from portugal so we had about ten in the group which helped. With the shorter distances it was a bit crazy however and found myself a few times getting boxed behind people but managed to get around in the end.

Thurs 01-04-10

AM
    3.62 Miles @ 7.24 pace

Fri 02-04-10

AM
    7.88 miles @ 7.19 pace

Due to being completely exhausted Thurs i decided to move my recovery day forward and do my evening run on the Fri. Been a tough week but i will get back into the full routine of college/training/work hopefully next week think the extra rest i had during day is what has me so out of sync. First track race since last year next week so hoping for a nice PB here. Doing three k and the last time i ran this was just after injury last year in 10.21. This time hoping to go atleast sub 9.40. Feel i have been putting a few good sessions and starting to get bit of speed back after the half training. Still early season though so i not gonna taper as i have big races coming up this month but ideally wanna peak in July

• Advertisement

Sat 03-04-10

10x 400m w/barriers (200m jog recovery)

Splits: 76, 78, 78, 79,79, 76, 79, 79 ,76, 74

Delighted with the improvement in this session from last week felt alot more comfortable during it. Was only planning on doing 8 with a break after four but felt good so i said i would make an improvement on it and was delighted with results as this is good bit quicker than race pace but felt pretty comfortable will try a longer session next week and continue to build. I have a Steeplechase race in three weeks but still early season so i not expecting too much it all about the summer months

Advertisement