Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Sunday 4-4-10

11.26 miles @ 7.16 pace

First time since half to do anything over 10 miles need to get back into my long runs to keep the strength up as with a long summer season planned i will need the strength to get me through it. I have also put more emphasis on curbing the speed of my easy runs. Now that i am back doing hard interval sessions in preparing for track the easy runs are more focused on aerobic maintenance and injury prevention. I know the PBs will come i just need to focus on the training not being interrupted by injury and keep it consistent

Monday 05-04-10

PM
    2 mile warm up, 3x (600m jog 100m 300m walk 200m) 1.5 miles cool down

Splits:
    1.45, 49
    1.51, 51
    1.51, 51

This was just a tune up session with a race on Wed. Hell of a headwind out there today and picked up big time on the second set. Rather than push through i kept the session controlled altogether i pretty happy with how it went and how training been going. Havent been feeling 100% the last week but hitting my times so i not gonna complain and hopefully continue this year with second race and another PB to make it 2/2

Tuesday 06-04-10

AM

3.67 miles @ 7.54 mile pace

PM
    7.12 mile @ 7.46 pace

Today was fairly easy with the race tomorrow. I have a bit of a crazy idea of doubling tomorrow doing the 3k and the 800m after as there an hour between them. Its still early session so i could treat this race as a session by doing that but i am afraid of it taken away from my 3k (which i want a PB in). The plan is to run the three k all out and see how i feeling after and make my decision then

Wed 07-04-10

AM
    4.12 miles @ 7.37 pace

PM
    3k track race
    Time 9.52 5 seconds off PB

800m track race
    Time: 2.13 4 seonds off PB

Back on the track today with the first race of the season. The intervarsities track and field (UCD v Trinity). was planning on just doing the 3k but as i was race rusty on the track i made some pretty big mistakes race tactic wise. I got too worried about going for my PB that i was watching the watch rather than the race. Went through the first lap in 75 on pace but i had let the lead group go away with it. coming into the second k i was in no mans land too far from lead group but out ahead of the next group. with being alone i kinda fell asleep. Track is a different kettle of fish with laps than out on the road. the second k was 12 seconds off pace from here kinda came back and started pushing the pace on but ultimately i think i was sixth or seventh. The time was 5 seconds off my PB but i honestly thought i should have gone better but season opener so i suppose i learned a valuable lesson in terms of race tactics to go with the pace and dont let them get away so easy.
    With being annoyed with myself i decided to turn today into a good session so as there was an hour between them i decided to hop into the 800m not my best event by along shot but it would be good for a bit of speed. Went out hard enough in 63 but i could tell that there was still a fair bit in the legs from the three k so kinda died off to finish in 2.13 with a 70 last lap. Happy enough with this as PB was only 2.09 but optimistic signs for the season ahead just need to learn from my mistake

Thurs 08-04-10

Rest

Fri 09-04-10

AM 8.56 miles @ 7.02 pace

PM 3.33 miles @ 6.50 pace

Sat 10-04-10

2 mile warm up 6x1k (200m jog recovery) 1 mile cool down

This was a good session and for once i was forced to not rely on my watch as the garmin died on the first rep so as my training partner was doing 80-82 pace laps the aim was to gain atleast 50m on him to assure i was under 3.18 for each of these which i seemed to be so happy enough with this

Sun 11-04-10

12.86 miles @ 7.12 pace

• Advertisement

Monday 12-04-10

AM 3.67 miles

PM 1 mile warm up 3 x (800m 1 min recovery 400m) 3 min recovery between sets

Splits:

2.26 and 65
    2.28 and 71
    2.32 and 70

Good session today session which really floods the body with lactic so all about holding form on the last two sets. Wasnt feeling great from the start but i managed to get through it. Toughest session i have been in a while

Tuesday 13-4-10

AM 3.17 @ 7.14 pace

Wednesday 14-4-10

AM
    3.72 : 7.04 pace

PM

4 x 300m with 2 min recovery*

Splits: 42, 43, 43, 47

Session did not go to plan today as i tried to hit the fifth and ended up cramping severely so was forced to pulll out. First time i had done a session in a long while at this intensity.

Thursday 15-4-10

Rest

Friday 16-4-10

Rest

Saturday 17-4-10

3.25 miles @ 7.13 pace

With the calf at me i decided to rest up the last few days and went out today. The calf is still kinda tight but i should be okay lots of stretching and that and just give tomorrow a lash

Sunday 18-04-10

Today was the Great Ireland run and the build up to the race had been pretty bad to be honest. At the moment i have been trying to develop my speed to transition back from Half Marathon to track work and as such my strength was always gonna suffer a bit but in hindsight i have been a bit too blaise about my easy runs.
    Legs werent 100% as i picked up a niggle in training on Wednesday so i was off Thursday and Fri. Legs felt okay but the calf was very tight still in the race. Went off bit quick which nothing out of the blue. Hit the first mile in 5.26 first though bit too fast was hoping for 10 seconds slower. I didnt panic however as i realised that i would need to make a bit of a cushion for the hills on the second half of the race.
    Hit the second k in 6.46 exactly the same as the first. The calf was now extremely tight. I had thought removing the orthotics may be a good idea as the last while had tight calves anyway and thought they were causing it..... Not the case as my legs were not feeling good at all now.
    Coming up to the water station and was all set for picking out a bottle, reached out and BAM!!!! some F*@#er at the station had decided they were gonna hand me a different bottle and shoved it practically in my face kinda breaking my stride. Pushed on anyway and hit the 5k in 17.26.... not too bad still sub 35 pace so i could live with that. Once the hills kicked in my lack of easy runs over the last while started taking its toll my splits got progressively slower.
    Hit 8k in 29.05 thinking to myself i have done this in tempo sessions so was feeling pretty dejected but pushed on. Pushed hard from the 9k mark still not sure whether a PB was in reach. Given the fact that i had reached 10k in the half six weeks ago in 36.28 i felt breaking PB of 36.15 was a sure thing. I had certainly underestimated the hills on this course as i crossed the line in 36.44 on my watch.

Race Chip Time: 36.44

Despite not being happy with the time i can live with it as it was a decent run out and given the fact i have a big 3k steeple on fri this should stand to me in terms of strength for that. I feel my training the last six weeks has been designed more towards 5k and down and probably being ambitious with trying to bluff this race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭tempo

Very Difficult to mix track and road.I see you are trying to make transition from half marathon back to track but think you should give up the road races during the track season if looking for some fast times.
    Good luck with your season !!!

Monday 19th April

3.77 miles easy

Tuesday 20th

AM 3.62 miles easy

PM 5 miles easy + 4x200m strides

Wed 21st

Rest

Thursday 22nd

3.6 miles easy + lots of drills etc.

This week has been a real easy one as i have a very big track race on tomorrow. Its the inter varsities and my first outing over the steeple in a couple of years so it should be interesting. Legs havent been feeling great al week but i should be ok.
    I have been asked to double for the college in order to pick up points as we are going to be chasing an overall top 3 college. The only thing is the even in question is not ideal, 400H. Whats more they the schedule is not good. If there are heats then its 1 hr before the Steeple and obviously not possible however if its a straight final (as was last year according to results) then i wont have to run it till Sat morning which would be ideal as would mean i could go ll out on the Fri and just see what i had for the hurdles day after as it is not my main event by a long shot.
    I dont wanna let down the college but at the end of the day i wont jeopardize the steeple so hopefully i get a bit of a break

Woke up today not feeling great but after a week easy enough i figured after warm up i should be grand. once i got to Santry it was a matter of seeing whether there would be heats for the 400H. If this was not the case then i would be running the final tomorrow but if their was heats i would be out because the steeple was only an hour after so not enough recovery time to do myself justice in my main event.
    By 2 o clock it was apparent there was no way there would not be a straight final so i could focus on the steeple. Good 2 mile warm up and a bit of stretching still not feeling 100% but still had my warm up drills to do so i wasnt worried.
    The gun went and so 7 and a half laps of hell were underway. Slotted in behind the leaders feeling pretty good. First race in a long while i didnt wear a watch. This was about racing it i was going for a medal. As the first lap went i was in a good position, my hurdle technique was really good and was a huge benefit making a couple of metres on everyone over every hurdle.
    As the race went on i was in perfect position, 4th but third was fading off the pace. Went through 2k on for 10 min pace, this was great i was having the race of my life didnt expect to be in this time range in my wildest dreams.
    As the last k developed though it was evident my strategy of all or nothing was over, i was spent and slowly started to fall back being taking by 2 of the lads it was clear that i was in trouble. This was highlighted coming around with two laps to go and a slight clip of my trail leg on the barrier. Thankfully this was only minor and managed to maintain my balance and retain my composure.
    Cross the line feeling tired but for the first time completely content with the race. I had given it everything and even though it hadnt paid off i had put myself in the perfect position to challenge and didnt fear the field. The time i wont know until the results are posted but i think that 10.40sh would be accurate enough i think.
    The fact that it is my first steeple in 2-3 years (and my first 3k steeple all before had been 2k) i am happy. Still early track season and this race has given me confidence in a good performance come national seniors later in the season all things going according to plan

Race time: 10.50

24th April

4.92 miles easy

Got the results from Friday 10.50. Happy enough considering i died my goal for the season will be to get as close to ten as i can

25th + 26th april

Rest

Given the pretty busy race schedule over the last 3 weeks and the after effects from the night out after intervarsities took an extra day off to recharge the batteries

27th April

AM

3.66 miles @ 7.12 pace

PM

8.35 miles @ 6.47 pace

Wasnt feeling great all day but motivated myself to get out in the evening and i thought try hit around my pace that i have to run the weekend for the half so went and was happy enough to be able to do it on a hilly course without feeling great. I think it was the 2 days off that just had me lethargic especially after first feed of drink in a good while

28th Rest

29th Rest

30th Rest

1st May Rest

2nd Great Limerick run pacer :13.1 miles in 1.29.38 @ 6.49 pace

3rd Rest

4th 8 miles @ 7.01 pace + 4x200m strides (30, 32, 32, 32)

5th2 mile warm up 10x400m jog 200 recovery 2 mile cool down
    Splits: 70, 69, 70 , 70, 69, 69, 70, 68, 66, 64

6th Rest

7th 2 mile warm up 1.5 miles@ 5.46 pace 5 min easy 1 mile @ 5.32 pace 3 mile easy total: 7.5 miles @ 6.43 pace

Last two weeks have been a bit on the back burner with my college finals so i hope to get back to full proper training over the next week as the majority of them are over. Yesterdays session was supposed to be a 5 mile tempo but body didnt feel up to it so i decided to just take it as a tempo/fartlek and get something done

8th Rest

9th Rest

10th Rest

11th 8.5 miles steady + 3x200m strides

12th 7 miles easy

13th
    AM 3.08 miles easy
    PM 2 miles warm up, 8x400m w/200m recovery 2 mile cool down
    Splits: 69,71,70,74,71,73,71,75

Getting back into training now that the exams are pretty much over and feeling worse for wear for it. Tonights session was okay times were a bit all over the place but this was down to a very very strong wind which kinda threw me off breaking up my stride so cut it short

14th

5.97 miles @ 7.15 pace

Late one today and was only gonna do a half hour very easy but felt good so gradually dropped the pace was happy with i nice little run out

15th

2 mile warm up (uphill), 6x 90 second v. steep hills (Hell fire club for any who know it) jog recovery 2 mile cooldown (downhill)

Distance splits:.25 miles, .23 miles, .24 miles, .25 miles, .23 miles, .26 miles

This was the first time i have done hills in a while and it was something that a kinda regret as they are very important especially in steeple as they simulate the race in terms of breaking up my stride. Altogether thou i was pretty happy with how it went

• Advertisement

16th

10.73 miles @ 6.58 pace

Nice little progression here started about seven twenty pace and worked down as the run went on to at one stage 6.15 pace was happy enough with how it went felt fairly good a little tender from the hill work yesterday which shows biomechanically i wasnt the strongest the last while something which i had an indication of

17th May

AM 2 mile warm up 8x200m 2 mile cool down
    Splits: 31, 33, 32, 32, 31, 32, 32, 31

PM 4.32 miles@7.01 pace

Just an easy session this morning with a race on wed night hopefully get close to a PB though after fairly easy few weeks for exams not too much expectation

18th
    AM
    3.1 miles @ 7.40 pace

PM 4.2 miles @ 7.59 pace + 5x100m strides

nothing to hectic today just said i would ease back with he gradeds tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭tempo

ecoli wrote: »
    18th
    AM 3.1 miles @ 7.40 pace

PM 4.2 miles @ 7.59 pace + 5x100m strides

nothing to hectic today just said i would ease back with he gradeds tomorrow
    I know it's just over 7 miles but a double is a double,not easing up in my eyes.ps i prefer to ease up 2days before hand but just my opinion.
    what distance u racing?

tempo wrote: »
    I know it's just over 7 miles but a double is a double,not easing up in my eyes.ps i prefer to ease up 2days before hand but just my opinion.
    what distance u racing?

I usually ease back more for key races but as this was only a bit of a blow out i wasnt compromising training entirely. Did the mile and reasonably happy with it considering last few weeks have not been ideal

19th

AM 3.12 miles @ 7.49 pace

PM Graded Meet: 1 mile
    time 4.46

The race was fairly scrappy from the start alot of pushing and shoving for the first 200m went out 70 happy enough second lap started working up through the field coming through in 2.17/18 third lap wasnt feeling to great 3.32 and laboured home in 4.46. The last few weeks had not been ideal so my target before the race had been mid to low 4.40s so i cant be annoyed with the race but at the same time not fully satisfied. Looking back only five seconds off my best and believe i can realistically tackle that easy enough this season if i did another if not i will certainly tackle a 1500m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just checked the results, nice time, the solid training starting to pay off and I've no doubt you'll kick on even moreso from here.

20th

Am30 min easy running
    PM 1 hr easy running

21st
    1hr easy running

22nd rest

23rd
    8.2 miles @ 7.20

24th
    3x (600m 1 min recovery 300m) 3 min between each set
    Splits: 1.44, 46, 1.46, 50, 1.51, 50

25th
    rest

26th
    3x2k w/2 min recovery
    Splits: 6.59, 6.59, 6.58

27th
    8.5 miles easy @ 7.16 pace

28th
    Rest

29th

35 min easy.

Work got in the way so got it in on my lunch break without a watch so couldnt get paces roughly 7.30ish

30th

11.68 miles @ 7.23 miles

Broke the 1000 miles today though bit weird that i only a few weeks less than i was last year coming back from long injury though when take in Jan weather/ niggles and taper/ reduced mileage with speed work i guess it shouldnt be too much of a suprise

• Advertisement

31st

1.5 miles warm up, 2x200m, 2x400m, 2x200m (jog 200m/ 1 min recovery) 1 mile cool down

Splits: 29,32,72,69,33,33

This was a light session with race on wed so it was designed to be comfortable and not push it. despite not feeling great legs wise the effort felt very comfortable for the times i clocked. happy enough with it hoping to go better than 9.52 on wed depending on conditions. Ultimately would like to tackle PB but will see how it goes

Advertisement