Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Limited access to boards (Damn work putting a block in place) means i been lazy to update this so here goes time to try catch up

20th - 26th Dec
    Day|Training|Distance|Split|Time
    Monday|Rest|0|0|0
    Tuesday|Easy Run|7.23|8.09|58.52
    Wednesday|Easy Run|6.49|7.53|51.14
    Thursday AM|Easy Run|2.59|7.51|20.22
    Thursday PM|Easy Run|2.66|8.30|22.36
    Friday AM|Easy Run|4.22|8.04|34.02
    Friday PM|Cross Training|KEMPO|-|56.00
    Saturday|easy run w/ up tempo|5.12/1.36|7.49/7.05|40.23
    Sunday|Easy Run|8.52|8.21|1.11.13

Weekly Mileage: 36.83

27th Dec - 3rd Jan
    Monday AM|Cross Training|Flexibilty|-|40
    Monday PM|Easy Run|3.97|7.21|28.59
    Tuesday|Easy Run|5.66|7.16|41.08
    Wednesday PM|Easy Run w/up tempo|6.98/2.43|7.25/ 6.11|49.08
    Wednesday PM|Cross Training|Yoga|-|20.00
    Thursday PM|REST|0|0|0
    Friday|Easy Run|9.74|7.13|1.10.38
    Saturday|easy run|6.43|7.13|46.32
    Saturday|Cross Training|Flexibility|-|60.00
    Sunday|Easy Run|10|7.16|1.12.41

Weekly Mileage: 42.78

Monday|Yoga|-|-|40
    Monday|Easy Run|5.1|7.34|38.35

Tuesday|Core|-|-|30
    Tuesday|Easy Run|6.5|7.11|46.42

Wednesday|Flexbility|-|-|60
    Wednesday|Tempo session*|9.01|6.54|62.09

* 1.5 miles easy - 7.32 pace
    1 mile HMP - 5.47 pace
    1 mile easy - 7.31 pace
    2 mile MP - 6.14 pace
    1 mile easy - 7.27 pace
    1 mile HMP - 5.55 pace
    1.5 mile easy - 7.43 pace

First session of the new year and with me still building miles it was just supposed to be a session to get the legs moving at a quicker pace than usual. Have to say i was happy enough with it especially the MP paced miles the first one was a little slow in 6.20 but i put this down to the fact there was a bit of an incline once it leveled off i hit a solid 6.09 for the second. Tired a bit on the second HMP mile so the strength is starting to come along but it is still very early days

Thursday|Yoga|-|-|35
    Thursday|Easy Run + 6 x 100m strides|7.29m|7.10|52.12

Though the legs would be sore or tight today but thankfully they werent (possibly the yoga this morning loosened them out). Felt good on the run the first half was a little quick but i was feeling so good I didnt mind though rather than over do it I took the mature approach and curbed back the pace. Aiming to keep my running consistent dont want to over do it for the sake of a few seconds per mile on an easy run rather save it for when it counts

Friday|V. Easy Run |6.61|7.29|49.28

Was fairly stressed today as I had a big interview for college which dragged on for most of the morning this followed by the fact was in Town on my feet for most of the day so legs were pretty tired so i just thought i would get out and do a recovery 4 however once i got out didnt wanna finish even though was a bit slow due to tiredness

Saturday|Flexibility|-|-|35
    Saturday|Easy Run |6.24|7.12|44.59

Wind really took it out of this run and was a lot more tired because of it than I should have been

Sunday|Long Run|12.5 miles|7.13|1.30.14

Felt very strong on this run could have gone for hours pace was progressively getting faster and faster yet the run itself felt realitively easy Despite it being over rolling hills throughout the park. All in all nice morning to be running in the park.

Week: 3rd - 9th Jan
    Total Weekly mileage: 53.25 miles (24.47% increase on last weeks mileage)

Monday|Yoga|-|-|20
    Monday|Recovery Run |5.00|8.01|40.08

The fact that I am cutting out rest days the pace on these recoveries is really important to slow things right down to keep the training going consistently and remain injury free. Kinda glad of the recovery day as the wasnt feeling great today. Legs were fine but just one of them days felt a bit blah as it went on so was happy to just get out very slowly to keep the legs ticking over

• Advertisement

Tuesday|Core|-|-|30
    Tuesday|Easy Run |7.55|7.15|54.44

First half of this run was with one the lads from the club and was around 7.30 pace and i was almost straining at the leash. Half and hour went and we went are separate ways and let the legs open out.

Wednesday|Tempo |9.4|7.05|1.06.36

Tempo Session: 3 mile warm up (7.22 pace)
    3 mile tempo (6.08, 6.02, 6.18)
    3.4 miles cool down (7.31 pace)

Was happy with the effort on this tempo as due to road works rather than be stuck at traffic lights i had to take a diversion which included a hillier route than anticipated. Despite the effort being good however the body didnt. Glutes were tight from core, body probably was little tired from the increased pace last night and i had a bad night sleep so i dunno whether one of these was the reason or a mixture of the three but i didnt feel great at all despite the legs feeling alright

Thursday|flexibility|-|-|40
    Thursday|Easy Run |7.11|7.19|52.03

Legs felt grand but body felt a bit crap on this one

Friday|Steady Run |7.17|6.37|47.28

Had been putting this off all day but finally got around to it.This was supposed to be an easy run but i was in a bit of a bad mood so once the headphones went in a started off easy and didnt pay attention to the pace. It was only 4 miles in when i thought to myself "this feels like a decent clip" looked down and was shocked to see 6.3X on the Garmin. Felt good so maybe I need to get in bad mood more often especially coming up to races:D

Saturday|Easy Run + 6 x 200m strides |8.99|7.35|56.54

This run was just an easy run out. the wind was a nightmare but i wanted today to be an easy day after my pace yesterday so rather than put in the bit of extra effort i let the wind dictate my pace keeping things relaxed slower than had planned but with the wind not too bother. Main thing is to keep the miles going and keep building until i get to a decent mileage and get solid base under me

Sunday|Easy Run |12.4|7.21|1/31.07

Kept this easy enough body still a bit sluggish

Total Weekly Mileage: 56.12 miles (5.39% increase)

Monday|Yoga |||20
    Monday|Recovery run |5.00|9.24|47.00

Kept this one as easy as possible as i wanna stay on my feet and continue to clock up the miles as getting close to the end of my base phase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

ecoli wrote: »
    Saturday|Easy Run + 6 x 200m strides |8.99|7.35|56.54

This run was just an easy run out. the wind was a nightmare but i wanted today to be an easy day after my pace yesterday so rather than put in the bit of extra effort i let the wind dictate my pace keeping things relaxed slower than had planned but with the wind not too bother. Main thing is to keep the miles going and keep building until i get to a decent mileage and get solid base under me

Is that right Ecoli? 8.99 miles? @ ~ 6:20 m/m pace is an easy run?
    If it is we're all in trouble when you show up for your next race.......;)

dermCu wrote: »
    Is that right Ecoli? 8.99 miles? @ ~ 6:20 m/m pace is an easy run?
    If it is we're all in trouble when you show up for your next race.......;)

Haha knew someone would spot that. the run itself was 7.49 miles in that time at the pace i put down but the strides were included after all in continuous running so it was 200m strides with 200m jog easy pace back to the start ( on a straight with small incline rather than a track. Stopped the watch to clock the times of the strides to make sure wasnt running too fast
    In terms of races Raheny is the season opener so high 28s low 29s would be a happy day considering its off just miles and training through it

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Tuesday|Easy run |7.3|7.12|52.32

Most enjoyable run I have had in a while there is nothing like running in the park under moonlight. Spent 5 miles chasing my own shadow which kept my amusement for the majority of the run:rolleyes:

Wednesday|Session |9.1|6.46|1.01.38

Session:
    2 miles easy, 8x800 (@ 5.40 - 5.50 pace) w/90 jog easy recovery,1.8 miles easy all continuous running on the roads

Splits: (7.33 pace),
    2.56, 2.57, 2.51, 2.53, 2.53, 2.51, 2.56 , 2.54,
    (7.23 pace)

When I saw this session on the schedule I was like yes now starting the intense track sessions however coach had other ideas he wanted it to be all on road and continuous running to be more like surges. paces weren't as consistent as they would have been on track but that dow to the profile of the loop I was running so I wasn't too worried

Legs took one or two reps to open up as the were quite sluggish at the start. Cocked up on the 3rd recovery and only did minute recovery by mistake. Felt strong throughout and felt happy the fact that my easy pace for the two mile at the end was normal easy pace rather than recovery

Thursday|Easy Run |7|7.16|50.55

Had to get this in first thing in the morning so when i went to the kitchen to have the usual breakfast (porridge or peanut butter on brown toast) so had to look for something. In the end had 2 bowls cereal which didn't sit right in the stomach which was apparent as i felt like crap for the first four mile until eventually it came up. Once out of the system i was ready to go again. Legs felt grand the whole way through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

nice graphic log this morning :D

nice graphic log this morning :D

Have to show the good with the bad in terms of training;) Best of luck on the road to recovery you will get back in no time just take it slow and steady. Will be doing 5 miles @ outside 9 min pace on monday if you interested in a bit of company on your run if you around in the morning early enough (8 or 9am)

Friday AM|Easy Run |4.71|7.14|34.06
    Friday AM|Yoga |-|-|25
    Friday PM|Easy |7.28|6.56|50.31

In work tonight so had to cram all the training in early. For the second run the legs were loose from the morning run so the pace felt very easy. First double of the year though i dont intend on doing too many until the mileage gets a bit higher as there is no need really

yes monday spot on,see u at the top of greenhills opposite the garage.
    let me know which time suits u better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

yes monday spot on,see u at the top of greenhills opposite the garage.
    let me know which time suits u better.

might join the 2 of you if 9am is possible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

Thursday|Easy Run |7|7.16|50.55

Had to get this in first thing in the morning so when i went to the kitchen to have the usual breakfast (porridge or peanut butter on brown toast) so had to look for something. In the end had 2 bowls cereal which didn't sit right in the stomach which was apparent as i felt like crap for the first four mile until eventually it came up. Once out of the system i was ready to go again. Legs felt grand the whole way through

Ah now theres no need to eat two bowls of cereal before a four mile run. Why not wait until you get back and then eat your full breakfast. It will not kill you to just eat some fruit before a run.

might join the 2 of you if 9am is possible

9am sounds good to me.I can do 45mins,working at 10am but right beside the park ;)

Ah now theres no need to eat two bowls of cereal before a four mile run. Why not wait until you get back and then eat your full breakfast. It will not kill you to just eat some fruit before a run.

It was a seven mile run. Stomach only lasted till the 4 miles however:D still carried on and got the other three in afterwards. Normally I can manage about 5 miles max on an empty stomach so i try to have something if I am doing anything more. The cereal was not a great choice but it was bred out of neccessity and never feel one bowl is enough for some reason (my inner fat kid probably having his say)

9am sounds good to me.I can do 45mins,working at 10am but right beside the park ;)

Sounds perfect to me I booked in for a massage at eleven so will be no hanging around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Have you your own log woody? It would be nice to see how it should be done. We could all learn a lot I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Have you your own log woody? It would be nice to see how it should be done. We could all learn a lot I'm sure.

Agreed. Woody its time to, ahem, come out of the woods. You seem to know your stuff, so as delia smith once said, lets be avin' ye.

Saturday|Hill Session |10 miles||1.22.54

Session:

3.49 miles easy (7.26 mile pace)
    8 x 75 sec hills w/ 2.30 min recovery jog back down (3.05 miles)
    3.46 miles easy (7.47 mile pace)

All continuous running

Decided to hit a hill that I have only ever done as part of an easy run so headed up to the hill at the Bournabreena church for these. The first two were a shock to the system but as the reps progressed i felt like it was taking less time to fully recovery but as first hill session in a while i didnt shorten the recovery just in case i didnt finish besides recoveries were to be between 2 and 2.30 so i was still on track. All in all happy with how this went but was fairly wrecked on the jog home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saturday|Hill Session |10 miles||1.22.54

Session:

3.49 miles easy (7.26 mile pace)
    8 x 75 sec hills w/ 2.30 min recovery jog back down (3.05 miles)
    3.46 miles easy (7.47 mile pace)

All continuous running

Decided to hit a hill that I have only ever done as part of an easy run so headed up to the hill at the Bournabreena church for these. The first two were a shock to the system but as the reps progressed i felt like it was taking less time to fully recovery but as first hill session in a while i didnt shorten the recovery just in case i didnt finish besides recoveries were to be between 2 and 2.30 so i was still on track. All in all happy with how this went but was fairly wrecked on the jog home

That hill is ridiculously steep. I used to go up there and do intervals on the bike. Bloody hard going. Did you go all the way up to the fork in the road or do you go as far as the old dump?

tunguska wrote: »
    That hill is ridiculously steep. I used to go up there and do intervals on the bike. Bloody hard going. Did you go all the way up to the fork in the road or do you go as far as the old dump?

Not that far in 75 secs still early days :D was finishing just around the sign for the fork as you come round the bend in the road just before it levels off slightly. My legs probably wont be thanking me tomorrow but sure has to be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Great spot for a run. Seriously hilly! Think I will try a similar session myself soon.

Advertisement