Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

tunguska wrote: »
    Whats the story with this bad boy on sunday, is it 4k, 7k or 10k? I've been hearing conflicting reports.

Its a 10k flat loop would like to be doing it but work only lets me have 2 of the three days off i requested for races in these three weeks Raheny and Enniscorthy were the two i got off

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Tuesday|Easy Run |6.33 miles|7.33|47.46

Cut this run short as the stomach not feeling the best.

Wednesday AM|Yoga |||30 min
    Wednesday PM|Session * |11.63 miles||

Session Break down:
    3 mile warm up: (7.52 mile pace)
    10 x 600m with 75 sec recovery (jog 200m)
    3.62 miles cooldown (7.51 mile pace)

*All continuous running on roads

Splits: 2.07, 1.57, 2.03, 2.03, 2.14, 2.23, 2.17, 2.05, 2.06, 2.04

Knew the wind tonight was gonna play havoc on the session so rather than do this on a loop where i could compare times i said i would do it on a loop where i could base it on effort. Headed up to the Grant Thornton 10k loop in Firhouse and decided to do my reps there. The hardest effort put into the reps was funny enough on the slowest as these seemed to concide with the hilly parts facing into a very strong head wind. All in all though felt quite good on this session and was fairly controlled

Thursday AM|Flexibility |||40 min
    Thursday PM|Easy Run |9.48 miles|7.32 mile pace|1.09.59

The wind on this run was not fun. First three miles felt nearly harder than race pace and i wasnt even dipping under 7.30 pace!!!! Thankfully 4 miles followed with the wind either crossing me or on my back followed by a few miles at the end back into the wind but as this stage i was nearly home so i didnt mind too much

Friday |Easy Run |8 miles|7.07 mile pace|56.57

With the wind acting up today i was dreading this run, however, once i came down stairs this morning i had a big package waiting for me from start fitness. Had nearly forgot i had ordered a load of stuff from them last week.
    Its amazing how little things such as a bit of new training gear can change the mood of the run despite the weather:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I probably should have checked your log before I signed up to do those hill reps tomorrow. You're FAST.
    :eek:

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    I probably should have checked your log before I signed up to do those hill reps tomorrow. You're FAST.
    :eek:

Haha dont worry as i said before the session can be tailored to suit your ability ( I will be doing 80 second hills jog back down recovery but if you want you could do something like 30 second hills doing every second one meaning you get long recoveries)
    You will still get benefits from a session like that. The only thing i warn you is that given your first time on hills you will probably be a bit sore come Sunday morning ( I was when i did first hill session in months 2 weeks ago)

Saturday |Hill Session* |||

Session:

3.52 miles warm up (7.49 pace)

10x80 sec hills jog back down recovery ( 3.68 miles)

3.54 miles cool down (7.59 pace)

Total Mileage: 10.74 miles

Met up with jcsmum for this session and was back up to Bornabreena. Felt very good throughout this session was getting further in distance than last time (after 75 secs) and feeling hell of alot stronger the felt quite controlled. Fair play to jcsmum on this one, girl is one tough cookie and he hills were no bother to here. Was getting worried at times that she was not gonna stop and come past me:D
    Happy with how this session went roll on race next weekend now hopefully go one better than equaling a PB and actually break one (that 10k one is in bad need of a revision)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

ecoli wrote: »

Session:

Met up with jcsmum for this session and was back up to Bornabreena. Felt very good throughout this session was getting further in distance than last time (after 75 secs) and feeling hell of alot stronger the felt quite controlled. Fair play to jcsmum on this one, girl is one tough cookie and he hills were no bother to here. Was getting worried at times that she was not gonna stop and come past me:D
    Happy with how this session went roll on race next weekend now hopefully go one better than equaling a PB and actually break one (that 10k one is in bad need of a revision)

What race we talking about man? Surely its not the cupids dash? A commercial race! For a hardcore runner like yourself.......Your street credibility will be shot to hell if it is.
    Fair play jcsmum, you'll be marine standard hard in no time.

What race we talking about man? Surely its not the cupids dash? A commercial race! For a hardcore runner like yourself.......Your street credibility will be shot to hell if it is.

haha god no man dont worry im still a purist. Doing the My sport Enniscorthy 10k for the first time in 5 years. Kinda fitting as the last time i was down there i won juniors and set a PB which has stood since so where else to break that PB than the same course

haha god no man dont worry im still a purist. Doing the My sport Enniscorthy 10k for the first time in 5 years. Kinda fitting as the last time i was down there i won juniors and set a PB which has stood since so where else to break that PB than the same course

What day is that? If its sunday Im in.

• Advertisement

Session:

You're too kind! :D
    I was delighted with the session & it was nice to do some kind of training other than a regular run.

What day is that? If its sunday Im in.

It is indeed if you wanna lift down? Hmmm I wonder could we manage to scrape together a team for it possibly cover the expenses with the team prize? might look to recruit few if we can:D

jcsmum wrote: »
    You're too kind! :D
    I was delighted with the session & it was nice to do some kind of training other than a regular run.

Im telling you sessions like that will bring you on leaps and bounds

Sunday |Easy Run |12.25 miles|7.15 mile pace|1.28.53

Headed into Phoenix park for this one as normally working mornings on Sunday so rarely get the chance so was a nice change of scene. First 7 miles were very comfortable (7.45 pace). The lad I was running with then turned off so i was left to my own devices and decided was feeling good so opened the legs up to a quick enough pace(6.40).
    All in all happy with another solid weeks training

Total weekly mileage: 66.99 miles (23.78 % increase on last week)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great running in the Raheny 5. Well done.

Well if they ever made a GI Joe 2 and Demi is not available..... ;):D

Monday|Recovery Run |5.05 miles|8.54 mile pace|45.00

Legs were little tight after weekend so this came just in time, though at parts struggled to keep it close to the 9 min. Booked in for a massage in the afternoon just to keep me on my feet and injury free trying to keep this going regularly every 2-3 weeks thankfully guy is very good and very cheap (perfect combination:D)

It is indeed if you wanna lift down? Hmmm I wonder could we manage to scrape together a team for it possibly cover the expenses with the team prize? might look to recruit few if we can:D

Just remembered, have the wedding on saturday so better not commit to this. I could end up running the cupids dash 10k after all........the shame.

Tuesday AM|Easy Run |4.42 miles|7.22 mile pace|32.34
    Tuesday PM|Easy Run |7.90 miles|7.59 mile pace|1.03.05

Given the race this week and the fact i wanna keep a fairly high mileage week i said would add a double today just to allow me have a recovery day on Saturday. First run didnt feel great but put that down to hunger. Even though i had my usual breakfast i had not taken into account i hadnt eaten since 6 the night before.
    Second run was grand with a few of the lads from the club kept it nice and easy

Wednesday |Track Session |11.22 miles||
    Wednesday |Yoga |||20 min

3.12 miles easy

16 x 400m w/ 100m (45 secs) recovery

3.12 miles easy

Splits: 79, 78, 80, 79, 80, 79, 80, 79,
    81, 80, 81, 79, 79, 79, 79, 77

Happy with this session as i kept it consistent even though was feeling a little tired in the legs through it. Calf tightened slightly but with the flexibility will loosen it out again. All in all has me happy in the lead up to the race at the weekend as the times were few secs quicker without the effort being much harder (granted the wind was down today)

• Advertisement

Thursday |Easy Run|8.15 miles|7.17 mile pace|59.26

Friday |Easy Run|8.11 miles|7.06 mile pace|57.41

Ended up heading out last night. Despite not drinking by the time i got home it was 4.30 in the morning so needless to say i was wrecked. Despite this i think the night out did me good and gave me a bit of mental freshness as today i felt really easy and comfortable

Satuday AM|Flexibility||40 min
    Satuday PM|Recovery Run|3.81 miles|9.25 mile pace|35.55

Kept today very very relaxed with the race tomorrow. Just wanted to loosen out the legs to hopefully crack 36 tomorrow. That will be the minimum i will be hoping anything after that is a bonus given it so early in the season

After recent good run in Raheny I had put a bit of expectation on myself. A new PB or bust was the target today. Given the fact that my PB was soft at 36.15 (Set on this very course 4-5 years ago as a junior funny enough) this wasnt going to be too much of a problem so i said to myself 35.30 would be the rough target.

First mile was a good solid climb and i managed to bunch into one of the chasing groups (the first five blitzed off not to be seen again by anyone till the finish). I was happy enough to see a group of about 8-10 had formed so tagged in with them. One of the lads I knew was going for a qualifying time for a Duathlon team selection so i knew the lads were in the 33-34 region, a bit hot but if i could hold with them for a bit I would be happy. First mile split, 5.36 which was about the time i was hoping for without taking in that it was all uphill:eek: too quick so i swallowed my ego and let them go.

Was soon joined by Hazel Murphy (didnt know it at the time)who was running well and the two of us worked through the rolling hills together (alot more hills than i could remember on this course from last time:() Second mile: 5.40 anothe solid mile i was happy with how i was running because was feeling a little tired all week and even today legs not feeling fully fresh.

Hazel then broke off and began chasing that pack up ahead (which was a few men light as the early pace had taken its toll on one or two which had been reeled in by myself and Hazel). Here is where things started to go a bit pear shape being on my own with some steep climbs and descents i kinda fell into a comfort zone. Was trying to work out in my head roughly where i was pace wise whether i was sub 35 or 35.30 + etc. Next two miles were not pretty; 5.48 and 5.54. If i continued to slow like this would be well outside 36

Thankfully at this point two things happened; turned corner to make the return leg of the race back to the finish which was all level/downhill so the hill climbs were behind me. Also a lad running for St. Killians had caught up to me and seemed intent on leaving me behind. Finally i was back racing someone rather than clock watching. Started to push each other on from here. Next mile splits were more encouraging; 5.43, 5.35. In this time i had tried to gap him a few times but every time i tried to pass him i just couldnt pull away.

Last four hundred i knew i would have him for a kick as still felt i had a bit left. Though there was a problem. One the gardaí had lets some cars through on the side of the road that we were racing on and they were being held up coming closer the finish including a election campaign van who had made attempts to over take races and started to slow in front meaning it was gonna hold us up (a new reason to hate politicians). Couldnt sprint all out until i got passed this van. I knew i had to get out in front of it before it got to the turn at the finish so i went for it. I darted out onto the middle of the road (the on coming traffic lane was still open) and cranked it up. Felt the brushing of a wing mirror across my singlet which was a close call but i had made it past the van. Now it was time to chase the Killians lad. Was very strong and blasted by him to cross the line in.................... 35.03 unnofficial

Chip Time: 35.02

Splits:

Delighted with a huge PB (1 min 13 secs) and more importantly exceeded expectations once again in this race by 30 secs. Few aspects of the mental side of my racing i have to address but all and all happy days

Missed a cool down due to rushing back for work so once i was finished did a four mile shakeout

Session|Distance|Pace|Time
    4 miles recovery|4 miles|8.48 mile pace|35.12

Total Weekly Mileage: 61.59 (8.07% decrease on previous week)

Wow! Well done you and in such death defying circumstances! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

fairly smashed the old pb and exceeded your own expectation too , good day at the office , well done ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

well done on your run,the consistant training seems to be paying off but is it a pb?
    on your first page i quote :
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Running Bing viewpost.gif
    Good stuff, should be an interesting read.

Whats your best event Ecoli?

My best events would be 5k - 5 mile i say for some reason i dont get into alot of other races and as such my times dont really reflect my ablity but ill list my PBs for anyone interested

800m 2:06
    1500m 4:22
    3k 9:47
    5k 16:32 (however have clocked 16:24 in a 5mile race)
    5 mile 27:41
    10k 34:10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Great 10k result, very impressive running. Just discovered your log, enjoying the read.

clubcard wrote: »
    well done on your run,the consistant training seems to be paying off but is it a pb?
    on your first page i quote :
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Running Bing viewpost.gif
    Good stuff, should be an interesting read.

Whats your best event Ecoli?

My best events would be 5k - 5 mile i say for some reason i dont get into alot of other races and as such my times dont really reflect my ablity but ill list my PBs for anyone interested

800m 2:06
    1500m 4:22
    3k 9:47
    5k 16:32 (however have clocked 16:24 in a 5mile race)
    5 mile 27:41
    10k 34:10

Thought i had went back and changed that. i was convinced I had raced faster than that at the time but it was only after when i went back looking through results (at the time it was my first and only 10k for over 4 years) and
    saw that my memory was a bit more optimistic than i thought :rolleyes:

Guess it the old man claiming quick times syndrome kicking in but thankfully had the internet to correct me:D

• Advertisement

Monday|Easy Run |10.2 miles approx.|7.45-8 min mile pace|

Left the garmin on over night and was flat when i headed out on my run so it was completely on feel. Mapped the run after i got home on map my run to give me a conservative mileage sum

Tuesday|Recovery Run |4.38 miles|7.58 mile pace|34.49

First day in a long while I felt so bad on a run. Struggled to keep that pace it was alot harder than it should have. Gave up after 4 (half what i had planned) and ended up taking it as a rest day. Thankfully had day off from work and no plans so pigged out on protein and good foods and spent the day in bed and napped and early night sleep to get me back to normal

Wednesday|Fartlek Session* |11.24 miles||

3.48 miles easy @ 8 min pace
    4.31 miles fartlek in 30 min, 2 min on 1 min off (average pace 6.58)
    3.45 miles easy @ 7.57 min pace

My next two races are XC races over the next month as part of teams for club and college. This will give me a break from chasing times in races but as such when the coach suggested fartlek rather than the usual intervals i knew he had this in mind. Also he hinted might not be any harm to do this session on the grass so i knew exactly what he had in mind.

Finished work today to come out to rain pouring down. Perfect weather for a XC session and being late enough it was already dark. I knew this was gonna be a defining session for me. put my spikes in a bag and jogged down to the XC course in Tymon Park which i knew was gonna be in some state but would get me well prepared for the races coming up.

This session fitness wise was not too bad but the legs certainly felt it. I experienced the burning calf sensation you only get from cross country but i fought through the pain slipping and sliding round the bends really pushing it hard.

By the time I had finished I stood triumphant covered head to toe in muck and loved every minute of it. I have never felt so good after a session. Though i was tired i knew that it was a great session and would benefit from it both mentally and physically. This was one of them sessions you have in your life where you finish thinking "I am now a real runner"

First time in a long while I am looking forward to XC races and just racing to race without any focus on time

Advertisement