Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Thursday|Easy Run |10.55 miles|7.21 mile pace|1.17.31

Wasnt supposed to be in work till twelve today so the plan was to hit a double today as plan is to hit roughly 70 miles this week. This was soon foiled when i got a phone call at half eight asking me could i work from 9 instead. So decided to stretch out my run today and hope I can get a bit of a double in tomorrow (though it will be pushing it) or failing that will do a similar length run tomorrow evening

Friday|Easy Run |10.97 miles|7.40 mile pace|1.24.12
    Friday|Flexibility |||40 min

Hitting this run made me realise that this will be one of my highest weeks mileage ever. Not only that but first time to hit 70+ miles in singles rather than doubles. I know I am gonna be tired as a result but with work it was not an ideal week so had to fit it in where i could. The main thing is that i focus on recovering properly. As a result i had to make a point of getting this flexibility in as well as focusing on getting protein and carbs in as soon after the runs as possible. Will need to try and get more sleep to allow the body to rest.

Saturday|Hill Session* |11.05 miles||

* 3.5 miles easy @ 7.43 pace

10x 90 sec hills jog back down recovery (1.50 secs)

3.55 miles @ 7.55 pace

Tough session today legs tired from the week but managed to give it a good effort and kept the form throughout the session

Sunday|Easy Long run |12.33 miles|7.30 mile pace|1.32.23

Was fairly knackered after this run. Its been a long week ( the longest ever i have done in singles) also it doesnt help that since Wed I have 60 miles in my legs so no wonder i was shattered. Still Very happy with the week the sessions went well and even though I am shattered as a result of the week i think the fact thst i did this mileage in singles will mentally make it easier to continue to up the mileage as will be doing it as doubles from now. Onwards and upwards

Total Weekly Mileage: 70.72 miles (14.82% increase on last week)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Great weeks training,have you planned any rest days?
    Like you said x-country is great as you get away from times and just race.
    Good luck in your races ;)

• Advertisement

Great weeks training,have you planned any rest days?
    Like you said x-country is great as you get away from times and just race.
    Good luck in your races ;)

Since the new year I have replaced "rest" days with active recovery which is usually 4-5 miles at 8-9 min pace and even slower sometimes and so far is working very well for me. Gonna continue to keep it up as long as I feeling okay in training if it doesnt work with the higher mileage I will go by feel and take a rest day when needed

Monday AM|Easy run |5.09 miles|7.27 mile pace|37.53
    Monday Afternoon|Easy run |7.57 miles|7.42 mile pace|58.20
    Monday Evening|Flexibility |||25 min
    Monday PM|Upperbody and abs strength work |||40 min

Had a day off and made it count with a full days training. Was easy enough to fit it in throughout the day as most of it was 40 min to an hour so like managed evening stuff while making dinner etc. Been a long week thankfully though tomorrow I have a recovery day planned and a massage booked in so will be as good as new come wednesday hopefully

Tuesday|Recovery run |4.56 miles|9.11 mile pace|41.53

Nice very easy run to loosen out the legs today and give them a chance to get a break from the heavier stuff been doing. Massage now to get the legs back to normal before race this weekend and then off to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

ecoli wrote: »
    Tuesday|Recovery run |4.56 miles|9.11 mile pace|41.53

Nice very easy run to loosen out the legs today and give them a chance to get a break from the heavier stuff been doing. Massage now to get the legs back to normal before race this weekend and then off to work

Are you doing national interclub XC ?

Are you doing national interclub XC ?

I am indeed man nothing like a bit of a mud bath to "ease" me back into XC haha. Doing a light session tomorrow if you interested in the morning (track)? Got your text two about next week should be around for that off that day anyway

• Advertisement

I am indeed man nothing like a bit of a mud bath to "ease" me back into XC haha. Doing a light session tomorrow if you interested in the morning (track)? Got your text two about next week should be around for that off that day anyway

Jesus if you call that easing into it you are a harder man than me :D Best of luck anyway. I'm going to avoid that track for a while it knocked the crap out of my old legs last time I trained on it and brought on the onset of the dreaded shin splints. See ya next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Nationals going to be a mudbath the weekend.Atleast its on a Saturday,few scoops after;)

Wednesday AM|Easy run |5.24 miles|7.31 mile pace|39.20
    Wednesday PM|Track Session |8.05 miles||

Session: 1.82 miles warm up

4x200m, 2x400m, 1x800m, 2x400m, 4x200m w/ 200m jog recovery between each rep (1 min 15 secs)

2.23 miles cooldown

Splits:200m:36, 37, 37, 36

400m: 75, 75

800m: 2.22

400m, 76, 74

200m:36,35,35,36

Aimed to do this session in the morning so got up extra early got my breakfast etc and headed down to the club...... Closed. Guess i was too early. Didnt have time to go anywhere further before work so i swapped the sessions around and did run in morning. Finished work and reckoned if I got down to the club in time would be grand as it is usually opened late due to classes being held in the hall.... Not tonight it was being closed in half hour not enough time to get my session done so jumped in the car and belted over to Belfield.
    The plan for this session was to keep things nice and controlled on everything but push the 800m a bit and given that there was only 75 seconds recovery. this was plenty for the 200ms as they were little more than strides. It was okay for the fours to. After the eight though i was feeling it and the first 400m after the hard eight legs were a little wobbly but regained composure. Nice session to get the legs firing for the weekend without taking too much from them. The 800 tiny bit off the aim but to be honest I am still missing that extra gear that speed work will give me when i start to bring it in come closer to the summer. Maybe even hop in an 800m at some stage to revise that PB;)

Not tonight it was being closed in half hour not enough time to get my session done so jumped in the car and belted over to Belfield.

man that's commitment.

man that's commitment.

Normally would push it back a day but with the race being on a Saturday this week i could afford to

Thursday AM|Easy Run |5.03 miles|7.22 mile pace|37.03
    Thursday PM|Easy Run |7.72 miles|7.34 mile pace|58.26
    Friday|Pre Race shakeout |2.35 miles|8.47 mile pace|20.38
    Saturday|2 miles warm up 12k XC Race 2.3 miles cooldown |11.30 miles|| Race Time: 48.31
    Sunday|Easy Run |11.50 miles|7.37 mile pace| 1.27.39

Total Weekly Mileage 68.41 miles (3.27% decrease on last week)

This race was bit of a disaster dunno why but the body seized up completely. Didn’t feel great before the race (just tight not really loosening out during warm up). First lap or so the hamstrings felt little tight then the right calf. Quite sore for first 2-3 laps. After this started to numb up and the right foot went completely dead. Strange sensation and had no feeling in the foot. Was able to increase the pace despite this but still not feeling great. Good sprint finish but to be honest shouldnt have had that much left. Think it was just down to the fact that I not used to XC at the moment and it was a shock to the body

Feb totals
    263.65 miles
    65.91 miles per week
    28/28 days ran
    9.42 miles per day

Monday|Easy Run |4.45 miles|7.25 mile pace|32.58
    Tuesday AM|Easy Run |8.40 miles|7.27 mile pace|1.02.37
    Tuesday PM|Easy Run + 6x100m strides |5.39 miles|7.50 mile pace|42.14
    Wednesday |Track Session * |11.04 miles||
    Thursday |Easy Run |7.66 miles|7.42 mile pace|59.03
    Friday|Easy Run |10 miles|7.17 mile pace|1.12.49
    Saturday|Hill Session** |11.26 miles||
    Sunday|Easy Run |12.28 miles|6.58 mile pace|1.25.45

Total Weekly Mileage 70.48 (3.03% increase)

Track Session*

3.1 miles warm up, 8x800m jog 200m rec, 2.94 miles cooldown

Splits: 2.46, 2.44, 2.42, 2.42, 2.40, 2.39, 2.38, 2.37

Hill Session **

3.5 miles warm up, 12x 0.18 mile hills (target time a min), 3.44 miles cooldown

Splits: 58, 59, 59, 56, 57, 57, 57, 57, 56, 56, 55, 57, 56

All in all A solid weeks training the body is becoming very used to seventy miles after its third week that now it kinda seems like an easy target so will prob start increasing again from next week or the following week

Been away for a while so a fair bit to update

Monday|Easy Run |5.55 miles|7.40 mile pace|
    Tuesday |Easy Run |10.07 miles|7.36 mile pace|
    Wednesday AM|Easy Run |4.56 miles|7.30 mile pace|
    Wednesday PM|Track Session * |10 miles||
    Thursday |Easy Run |6.6 miles|7.21 mile pace|59.03
    Friday|OFF |||
    Saturday|IUAA XC 8k Race |||
    Sunday|OFF |||

Total Mileage 49.78 miles (70.63%)

Session: 3 mile warm up, 1600, 1200, 800, 4x400m, 3 mile cooldown with recoveries: 3.5 min, 3 min, 2.5 min & 90 secs

Splits: 5.37, 4.07, 2.40, 74, 78 ,78, 80

IUAA XC 8k Race

Had a toothache last two days with very little sleep so I was wrecked going into the race. Despite that didn’t feel the worst on the start line. First lap went well (2k) second and third lap struggled a bit (calves slightly tightened but nothing major). Last lap ended up playing cat and mouse with two lads for few 100ms before i began a hard drive to break them. Mixed feelings about this race as lad from the college i bet in raheny by over 1.5 mion was nearly 30 secs ahead of me but given the tooth ache meant i had an hour sleep and I had to take my first day off all year i suppose it not too bad. Course was the perfect, flat, no mud ideal conditions for a fast race just didnt have it on the day

88th place: 30.05

Monday|Easy Run |7.64 miles|7.33 mile pace|57.40
    Tuesday |Easy Run |7.11 miles|7.04 mile pace|50.17
    Wednesday AM|Easy Run |4.65 miles|7.38 mile pace|35.28
    Wednesday PM|Tempo Session * |8.94 miles|6.44 mile pace| 1.00.33
    Wednesday PM |Yoga |||20 min
    Thursday AM |Easy Run |4.42 miles|7.50 mile pace|34.39
    Thursday PM|Track Session** |8 miles||
    Thursday PM|Yoga ||| 30 min
    Thursday PM|Core ||| 30 min
    Thursday PM|Upper Body weights ||| 30 min
    Friday AM|Easy Run |4.40 miles|8.01 mile pace|35.19
    Friday PM|Easy Run |5.43 miles|7.27 mile pace|40.24
    Friday PM|Yoga ||| 20 min
    Friday PM|Core ||| 20 min
    Saturday AM|Easy Run|6.30 miles|7.34 mile pace|47.39
    Saturday AM|Leg Weights|||20 min
    Saturday PM|Easy + 6x100m strides|6.30 miles|7.17 mile pace| 43.40
    Saturday PM|Core|||20 min
    Saturday PM|Yoga||| 20 min
    Sunday|Easy Run|5.27 miles |7.21 mile pace|38.30

Total Weekly Mileage: 68.16 miles (132.9% increase)

Tempo Session: 2x12 min @HMP, 1x6 min @ HMP with 3 min rec on hilly trails

Splits: 5.53 pace , 5,52 pace, 5.54 pace

Track Session: 2 miles warm up 2 x (8x300m) w/ 100m jog rec

Splits: 54,54,54,55,56,54,55,56 57,56,56,56,57,57,57,56

This week I was away in Monte Gordo (Portugal) on a training camp. Basically this meant warm weather, trails for easy runs, 3000 seater stadium track plus indoor track and gym. Basically with the break from work and chance to docus fully on training so I planned on ramping up the training. The Coach didnt want me over doing the mileage however so the plan was to do pretty much my usual mileage and spend the extra time resting and focusing on the other aspects of my training. On top of the training there spent up to 30 min of stretching after each run to. Also had a bit of fun on the nights out just to keep us sane

While we were over there it came to our attention that the World XC Championships were on some 30 min across the bother from where we were staying. It would have been a shame to miss such an opportunity so a group of us hired a bus and decided to head over. With the time difference between Spain and Portugal meant we had a very early start so we left the hotel by 7.30am and got there in plenty of time.
    To our suprise they were only charging for tickets into the stand where the start/finish line was the rest of the course was completely open to the public free of charge so we said we would stay around tere as you would see more of the race. The course itself was immaculate. The grass for the course looked like it had been specially grown just for the race and looked artificial compared to the surrounding grass and plantlife. The course was also well shaded so basically this course was perfect conditions for the runners (basically think of the polar opposite to any Irish XC course you have ever seen)

As the Junior races took off I was in awe. In all my years of running I had never seen anything like it. Though I had watched the East Africans numerous times on the tele my mind just couldnt comprehend the sheer speed these athletes were running at ( and these were only the girls) EvenIn the Junior mens race we cheered on Shane Quinn the first lap who seemed to be doing pretty well up in the top 20/30. One of the lads was taking splits clocking Shane at roughly 5.28 per lap (roughly 2k) and at this couldnt even keep with the leading pack. Its no wonder his legs went all of a sudden and he was forced to drop out. Another notable runner in my mind was Eric Olson a US Junior who looked to have some sort of calf injury sustained in the race. Despite this he hobbled by us with no signs of stopping ( and this was with 3k to go..... some guts on him).

The Womens race was prob the highlight with the Irish interest in Fionnuala and her battle with Purdue from GB for the top Euro finisher.

After the races had concluded me and another lad went autograph hunting. Managed to slip are way into the victory ceremony but with all the guards there was no way we were getting anywhere near the athletes. Then we caught a glimpse of Jerry Schumacher (one of the top US Coaches) on the other side. We thought we may be able to get over to get his as we figured security would be too preoccupied with the athletes to focus on the coaches. We were wrong though we had found the athletes exit by mistake and with this waited till we started seeing few flock out.

Managed to aqcuire fair few signatures - Molly Huddle (US 5k record holder), Lisa Koll (scoring member of the US team that got bronze on the day), Linet Masai (2nd and current 10k World Champion)

We then managed to get chatting to a few of the Australian team who were very nice and chatted away one of them not too well known unless you follow US college running - David McNeill, the other a bit more recognizable to the general running community in Craig Mottram getting their signatures after the chat to which rounded off a productive day. By the end we were all exhausted after early start and being out in the sun all day (I only mention this as my excuse for no LSR on sunday from the log previously :D)

Getting terrible with updating this as been busy as hell recently so here goes

Monday|Track Session * |8.7 miles||
    Monday PM |Easy Run |3.86 miles|7.26 mile pace|28.40
    Monday PM |Yoga |||20 min
    Monday PM |Corework |||20 min
    Tuesday|Easy Run |5.26 miles|7.28 mile pace|39.14
    Wednesday|Easy Run |7.23 miles|6.48 mile pace|49.11
    Thursday|Fartlek Session** |10.15 miles|7.02 overall mile pace|1.11.23
    Friday |Easy Run |7.65 miles|7.17 mile pace|55.42
    Saturday AM|Track Session ** |10 miles||
    Saturday PM|Easy Run |4 miles|7.35 mile pace|30.19
    Sunday|Long Hill Run |12.55 miles| 7.42 mile pace|1.36.40

Track Session 1 2x 4k 3 min rec between, 8x150m

Splits: 14.10, 14.10, 20, 20, 20, 20 ,20, 21 ,21, 21

Fartlek Session 25 min easy, 2 min on 2 min off 90 sec on 90 sec off 1 min on 1 min off 45 sec on 45 sec off 45 sec on 45 sec off 1 min on 1 min off 90 sec on 90 sec off 2 min on 2 min off 25 min off

Track Session 2 2.5 miles warm up, 8x1k w/ 200 rec

Splits: 3.29, 3.27, 3.27, 3.27, 3.26, 3.26, 3.22, 3.20

Total Weekly Mileage 69.25 miles

• Advertisement

Monday PM |Easy Run |9.3 miles|7.26 mile pace|
    Tuesday|Rest |||
    Wednesday|Track Session * |11.21 miles||
    Thursday|Easy Run |3.7 miles|7.07 mile pace|
    Thursday|Easy Run |8.82 miles|7.27 mile pace|
    Friday |Easy Run |8.12 miles|7.41 mile pace|
    Saturday|Track Session ** |10 miles||
    Sunday|Long Hill Run |14.99 miles| 7.15 mile pace|

Track Session 1 3 miles warm up, 16x400 w/100 jog, 3 miles cooldown

Splits: 79,76,76,75,78,77,78,77,78,79,79,78,79,79,79,77

Track Session 2 3 miles warm up 10x800 w100 jog rec 2 miles cooldown

Splits: 2.42, 2.43, 2.45, 2.44, 2.45, 2.44, 2.43, 2.46, 2.48, 2.48

Missed my third day of the year this week due to the fact that i got stuck with a double shift in work with a massage booked in between the shifts. Not too worried though as I still managed to keep the mileage close to the level i wanted to be at

Total Weekly Mileage 66.15 miles

Been nearly a month since i raced and nearly two months since I ran a road race so it was back to chasing PBs. So far this year I had equalled one and broke one by over a minute so i was hoping to keep up my form on the roads.

Perfect day and a perfect course for chasing and have been feeling very good all week so I was expecting big things. When i got to the start noticed a few faces (including KiwiRunner) so i knew it was gonna be a quick race (thankfully because i feared this race was gonna be a victim to the GIR on tomorrow).

Gun went and immediately 2 shot out in front followed by a chasing pack. I dunno whether i was trying to latch on to the leaders or whether I was trying to encourage the chasing group to catch up to the two lads that had gone in head but i broke from this pack and went after the two. There was one slight problem with this however. One of the runners that blitzed off was in fact Raheny man Simon Ryan which was a clear indication that this is a pace i should not be trying to stick with. Breathing got slightly heavy very quickly and i knew this was not good i had gone out to hard and pulled back a small bit. Heard the beep of a competitors garmin realising he was set in kms, looked at my watch;3.10. Uh oh this was fast. Came to the mile marker and garmin went again 5.08. I had set myself a very ambitious target of 21 min for this race and here was me running 20.30 pace not good at all.

The next mile i began suffering. My only hope of 21 was if i could hold a 5.15 and use the cushion i had built later in the race to try hold on. This was however short lived as i saw my second mile split of 5.27. five seconds outside 21 pace however all wasnt lost as I was still well inside my pB pace.

Despite suffering i was not completely spent which was a good sign and continued on hard. Next mile was 5.35 a clear indication of my error in judgement in the early part of the race. The fact that i was very close to my 5k pb pace also showed while i was in very good shape it was still too hard a start. It also didnt help that i was on my own at this stage in the race with the lads ahead getting ever further ahead with the lads behind chasing me down.

Battled hard for the last mile and even managed to pick up the pace but lacked my usual sprint finish crossing the line in a time of 21.48 (previous pB 22.23)

Looking back through my splits i noticed that I broke my 2 mile pB as well as my four mile and was quite close to my 5k one also. While I got the tactics wrong i can take comfort in these facts as it shows I am in the best shape of my life and there is more to come so all in all a mixed bag of emotions

Splits
    10.35 (5.27) 2 mile best*
    16.11 (5.35)
    21.44 (5.33)

Finishing time 21.48 (5.26 average pace)

Well done. What position did you finish?

Well done. What position did you finish?

Think it was about 8th or ninth Figs had me at not sure yet till the results come out. How come you werent in it yourself you doing GIR tomorrow?

Edit: Just saw results was 12th

Yeah doing GI tomorrow. Hope to do bhaa 10k in straffan next weekend if my legs have recovered.

Yeah doing GI tomorrow. Hope to do bhaa 10k in straffan next weekend if my legs have recovered.

Fair play man best of luck (with both if the legs hold up). Would have liked to do tomorrow but couldnt get it off work so had to settle for this race and next week is Road Relays so wont get to run 10k till the end of this month

Monday |Easy Run + strides |9.05 miles|7.27 mile pace|1.07.27
    Tuesday|Track Session* |6.5 miles||
    Tuesday PM|Easy Run |5.07 miles|6.59 pace|35.24
    Wednesday|Easy Run |7.43 miles|7.36 pace|56.26
    Thursday|Easy Run + strides |9.9 miles|7.17 mile pace|1.12.09
    Friday |Recovery Run |3.85 miles|8.48 mile pace|
    Saturday|Warm up,4 mile Race cooldown |11.15 miles||
    Sunday|Long Run |14.68 miles| 7.35 mile pace|1.51.31
    Sunday PM|Easy Run |4.44 miles| 7.38 mile pace|33.55

Track Session : 3 miles warm up, 1 x 1600m w 400m rec 4x400 with 100m rec, 6x200 w 100m rec

Splits: 5.21, 75, 73, 74, 75, 34, 35, 36, 35, 34, 35

Total Weekly Mileage: 72.07 miles (2.61% increase)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Fair play on the training this year, it's paying off....pity the rest of the mods wound'nt get there ass in gear :)

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Fair play on the training this year, it's paying off....pity the rest of the mods wound'nt get there ass in gear :)

I think they would probably say that me training has given them more work over last while as my boards time has been significantly limited over the last while (doesnt help that work have a block on the site since Xmas to lol:D)

• Advertisement

Monday |Steady run/ Progression |9.49 miles|6.35 mile pace|1.02.32

This one was not exactly by the book (though thankfully coach away at moment so not around to give out to me :D). Planned on just heading out on an easy run but was feeling good and just kept getting faster and faster. Tried easing it back a few times but each time i stepped off the gas it lasted about a half mile before i started getting progressively faster again. Though was not the plan I happy enough to get it in as will only have one session in the next week and a half as racing Sunday and next wed so a half session early in the week could be a blessing in disguise

Advertisement