Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Friday PM|Easy Run|5.27 miles|7.49 mile pace|41.14
    Saturday|Easy Run|10.26 miles|7.40 mile pace|1.18.53

Nothing like one of them runs where you can see every person in every car going by questioning your sanity. Few torrential downpours throughout this run made me regret not getting this run in before work when it was dry but sure has to be done

Sunday AM|Easy Run|3.81 miles|7.35 mile pace|28.59

Just a short run this morning to loosen out the legs for session this evening. Happy enough with the week as it progressed as mileage will be back up around the 70 mark this week. Think i need to get back to these as I noticed this week that body is a little sorer than usual even before the session i put this down to the low mileage the last two weeks due to the niggle but need some down weeks every now and then i guess to regroup for a summer assault on a few PBs

Sunday PM|Session|10.2 miles||

Session: 3.1 miles warm up, 8x600m w/ 200 jog rec (90 sec max)

Splits:1.54, 1.54, 1.52, 1.52, 1.51, 1.52, 1.52, 1.51

Very Happy with this session. Had a very strong headwind in the first 200m and as we were jogging 200m rec this meant we spent 400m of each rep fighting the wind. Also one of the rare sessions where I had a training partner which was really helpful as we took turns leading and split the work

Monday|Easy Run|11.05 miles|7.33 mile pace|1.23.28

Kept this one very easy as the calves were in bits from wearing spikes for the session (wanted to break them in for the track races coming up over the next while). Thankfully was booked in a for a massage in the evening so helped sort me out a good bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Seen you on the belard road yesterday. Was going to knock you down give you a beep but you were gone before I got a chance

Seen you on the belard road yesterday. Was going to knock you down give you a beep but you were gone before I got a chance

At that stage probably would have welcomed it haha yesterdays run was not enjoyable in the least :D

• Advertisement

Tuesday|Easy Run|4.29 miles|7.33 mile pace|30.18
    Wednesday AM|Easy Run|4.29 miles|7.43 mile pace|33.06
    Wednesday PM|Hill Session*|7.72 miles||

Session3.2 miles warm up, 4x approx 300m hills, 3.02 miles cooldown

Splits 50, 50, 56, 59*

Got home late from work so was stuck for time. As i was baby sitting later to could hold off the session so finished food pretty much bang on a 50 min before training (usually give it atleast 90 min) started the warm up and not a bother then got to the hill started the first rep. 50!!! this was not good i had never done this hill quicker than 55-56 thought had to be something up with the garmin as the conditions werent exactly favourable so shouldn be near that time. Hit the next one, 50 again i was in shock. The next one i struggled stomach not feeling the may west (I think a mix of the food and the intensity of first two reps) The next two came on and i was in trouble 56 and 59. This was followed by a quick trip tp the bush to throw up (first time in a long while i have done this on a run). Thought that would help so attempted another rep got 20 secs in to it and had to stop for another pucking session. "OKay has to be all out of my system now" i thought to myself so i attempted another. I was wrong. Only lasted 15 sec in this rep. It was at this point i threw in the towel i knew this session just wasnt gonna happen. My own fault but nothing i could do.

Thursday|Broken Tempo|10.24 miles| 6.49 mile pace| 1.09.49

Session 4.15 miles easy, 2 miles tempo, 1 miles easy, 2 miles tempo, 1.09 miles easy

Paces: 7.29, (5.42, 5.40), 7.40, (5.47*, 5.35) 7.34

After yesterdays failed session was told to do a light session tonight to keep the legs moving. Was happy enough with this felt very controlled at these paces even the 5.47 was good clip and not struggling i just happed to take in a hill during this mile which slowed the pace a small bit but the effort remained the same

Friday|Easy Run|11 miles |6.58 mile pace|1.16.43

This run felt so easy i dunno whether yesterday opened out the legs or it was the fact it was a flat/ downhill loop pretty much (terenure/ rathfarnam) but i couldnt manage to run slower than 7 min pace no matter how easy i felt

Saturday AM|Track session|||

Session: 2.6 miles warm up, 8x800 w/ 200 jog rec, 4x100m strides

Splits: 2.33, 2.36, 2.36, 2.37, 2.44, 2.44, 2.38, 2.41

This session was bit of a mixed back. Effort was very good but times dont reflect this. With work i was forced to train at a time when the track is rented out to 2 different groups, one another athletics club the second is a Special Olympics group. This was not a time for distance runners to train. With relays sprints etc being put in lanes 1-4/5 coaches standing in lanes 5/6 and 7 and 8 used by the other AC is was fairly chaotic. I was forced to bob and weave through the field where i could ranging from the grass inside lane 1 at times to having to go out in to lane 5 at other times reckon i ran anywhere from 790m-840m on different reps. Just had to forget about times and focus on effort which thankfully i managed to push fairly well throughout the session so despite the times still got what i needed fromt the session. Good to see a few of the boardsies around to with Bazman and KiwiRunner doing their own sessions also

Sunday|Easy Run| 14.07 miles| 7.11 mile pace| 1.41.14

First 7 miles of this were taken very handy. Had company for this half with one of the lads from the club who getting back into things so we were tipping along nicely at about 7.25 pace. After left him i ad the wind on my back again for a bit and started tipping back into naturally comfortable pace. Slowly but surely the average pace dropped while still feeling pretty comfortable.

Monday|Recovery Run| 4.23 miles| 8.13 mile pace|34.49

After massage this morning with Vinny legs were bit sluggish so i said I would take today as my recovery day. Usually try to push this closer to nine but feeling last few days that all my paces have dropped some what. This could be due to my two down weeks with the hip problems allowed my body to adapt to the hard training over the last few months

Tuesday AM|Easy Run| 3.22 miles| 6.51 mile pace| 22.06
    Sunday|Hill Session| 11.57 miles| |

Session: 3.53 miles warm up, 14 x 300m hills (approx / 0.18 miles) 3 miles cooldown

Splits: 57,59,55.57,57,57,57,57,57,56,58,58,57,59

This was the session that i had attempted last week and failed. I was not gonna let it get the better of me this time. Effort was hard with these as there was a strong head wind on the hill but i kept the first 2 controlled (not making same mistake as last week). After this i got into a solid rhythm and was banging them out like clockwork. I was needing ever second of the recoveries however as the lungs seared. By the time i got to 10 i was fit to drop. This is when the mental games started creeping in. Was hearing a little voice telling me "10 hills is a very solid session" but i kept telling myself just one more and slowly but surely was knocking the reps out before long i made it to the last one. Gave it my all but could only manage a 59 i was spent but i had survived the session.
    I could barely stand at the end and first time i have been like that in a while. Was left with a problem however. I was in the middle of Tymon park 3 miles from home with no other way but to jog as cooldown to get home. I started walking thinking i wouldnt be able to run because i was completely knackered. Head was thumping i was dehydrated and legs were like rubber. Thankfully at this stage I bumped into one of the runners from the club. Started to jog with him and got chatting and before long i was 2 mile down. Its amazing how distractions from the pain in our body can help:rolleyes:

All in all a very good days training which was badly needed after two poor sessions last week

Wednesday|Easy Run| 7 miles| 7.11 mile pace| 50.19

This run was a bit of a struggle. Being stuck for time today (and fact i slept in my alarm:rolleyes: ) had to jump straight out of bed without breakfast and straight out for a run (usually i cant function without the brekkie for more than 4 miles) Legs were tired from yesterdays session but was just about getting a few miles in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey ecoli, Which hill in Tymon do you use for the Hill reps? I have been thinking of making Hill reps a regular part of my training and do a lot of my Runs in Tymon.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hey ecoli, Which hill in Tymon do you use for the Hill reps? I have been thinking of making Hill reps a regular part of my training and do a lot of my Runs in Tymon.

You know down near the phone mast (Down the Basketball arena end)? Start at the bollards down at the playground and finish at the bridge. Its a solid 300m climb so great for more speed based hill work. Usually when working on form i go up to the one in Bornabreena but this is usually early season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ecoli wrote: »
    You know down near the phone mast (Down the Basketball arena end)? Start at the bollards down at the playground and finish at the bridge. Its a solid 300m climb so great for more speed based hill work. Usually when working on form i go up to the one in Bornabreena but this is usually early season.

Yeah that's the one I suspected, a gradual rise that get's steeper as you near the top :D

You are talking about the playground at the templeogue end, rather that the tallaght end?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah that's the one I suspected, a gradual rise that get's steeper as you near the top :D

You are talking about the playground at the templeogue end, rather that the tallaght end?

Yep thats the one. Usually kinda ease in the first half and drive upthe steeper part. Is the Tallaght playground even still open? I thought they got rid of that. Never usuall do many of my runs that side of the M50 usually all my runs the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

:eek::eek:Hold on... you're down near me?? I am on ballyroan road in templeogue! :eek:

Been very lazy updating this so bout time i got back on track. Basically since my last post I had a bit of a mishap. Basically ran into a barrier and bruised my groin pretty bad that i could barely walk the day after (dont ask:o) So effectively I had no running till the swelling and bruising went down enough to get back to it. My next run?

Sunday|Easy Run| 13.12 miles| 6.50 mile pace| 1.29.49

Nothing like a nice jaunt downt the Wexford region. Was pacing the half down there. Was nice for the bit of company running and meet a few new boardsies. First half of the race was hilly enough into a head wind so was little tougher than it should have been but the company made this running pretty easy in general

Monday|Easy Run| 8.59 miles| 7.13 mile pace| 1.01.58
    Tuesday|Easy Run| 6.79 miles| 7.22 mile pace| 50.04
    Wednesday|Track Session| 9 miles| |
    Thursday|Easy Run| 3.84 miles| 7.36 mile pace| 29.14
    Friday|Easy Run| 5.52 miles| 7.04 mile pace| 39.02
    Saturday|Track Session| 9 miles| |
    Sunday|Easy Run| 14.1 miles| 7.13 mile pace| 1.41.42
    Monday|Easy Run| 8.06 miles| 7.00 mile pace| 56.26

Session 1

3 mile warm up, 6x800 w/ 90 recovery, 7 min rec, 6x150

Splits: 2.35, 2.30, 2.35, 2.39, 2.42, 2.40
    18, 19 ,19, 19, 19, **

Wind is really pissing me off these days times were all over the place. The second one was prob my easiest one despite it being quickest just because the wind died dow for that one. Just had to base them on effort. The 150 s were a shock. Had it set up so that I had one of the clubs 800m runners who was doing 100m reps to jump in after my first fifty. This made me push harder to try hold on to him. By the time i got to the ;ast 150 i was swimming in lactic. Head thumping I was debating not doing it started it and got 6 secs in and BANG! calves cramped severely. Got some of the lads to stretch them out and tried again. Got to 100m in this one and had to step off the track. Not ideal but showed I had pushed the body

Session 2
    3 miles warm up, 3x (4x400) 1 min rec between reps and 4 between sets

Splits: (75, 73, 73, 73) (72, 72, 72, 72) (71, 70, 71, 78)

Had kept the two days previous to this low miles as the hammies were shredded from the 150s. Was pretty much back to myself for this but still a little tired. Idea for this session was to increase the pace each set. Once again wind was gonna be a big factor. First lap and I was feeling comfortable in the first 200. Clocked 33 without much effort so thought i would continue on for a respectable lap. Little did i know just how bad the head wind was (you never notice it as much when it is on your back). despite first 200 being quick came through in a 75. Way to slow was gonna have to put alot more in the reps fighting in to the head wind to keep the pace down. By the time I had hit the last set (was supposed to do 4 but not able to do the full as the wind had knocked the S£%t out of me). These reps I was pretty much near maximum effort to try and keep the pace progressing faster (the aim of the session). By the time i got to the last rep i knew I was done and lumbered home to a 78. Hammys were like lead and there was no point in continuing.

Think the last few weeks I am in a bit of a slump. Whether its the wind demoralizing me with bad splits in sessions or what but I just going through the motions need to snap out of it. Bright note is that my average easy run pace has been dropping and what felt easy few months ago is now nearer to recovery pace. The fitness is there I think I just need a race or something to remind myself of that.

Tuesday|Track Session| 9 miles| |

Session: 3 miles warm up, 16x300m w/ 100m jog rec, 2 miles cooldown

Splits:56,57,55,56,56,55,57,55,55,56,57,55,55,55,55,54

Very Happy with how this session went. For a change I didnt have the wind to contest with so the times were very even and effort was good. First session in a while I have been happy with. Looked back through the logs at a session I did in mid march to compare the times. Only difference between these sessions was in March I took it as 2 sets of 8 with a 400 jog recovery so i guess it shows I good bit stronger

Todays Splits| 56|57|55|56|56|55|57|55|55|56|57|55|55|55|55|54
    March Splits| 54|54|54|55|56|54|55|56|57|56|56|56|57|57|57|56

Wednesday|Easy Run| 8.80 miles|7.07 mile pace |1.02.40

This run was taken pretty handy ticking along nicely and let the pace take care of itself.

About 2 mile into my run ran by a girl fairly belting it the opposite direction. Two thoughts crossed my mind first was she was doing a mile or two all out, second maybe her running in the opposite direction and my pace being honest enough prob made it seem faster than it was. Forgot about it then only to come across her 4 miles later still hitting this pace:eek:. This time she was running in my direction so I was able to judge her pace a bit better. Didnt recognise her but who ever it was was clocking sub 7 miles no bother to her.

Very rare I bump into people hitting there easy runs too much quicker than me around the area let alone a women. If I see her again will have to try some major recruiting for club or just training partner (always nice for a bit of female company on a run:p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Very rare I bump into people hitting there easy runs too much quicker than me around the area let alone a women. If I see her again will have to try some major recruiting for club or just training partner (always nice for a bit of female company on a run:p)

Was she hot? If so please upload Garmin connect data so I can stalk run said route.

Savage session on the track the other day by the way. A fast 5k on the track has to be on the cards with sessions like that.

Was she hot? If so please upload Garmin connect data so I can stalk run said route.

Savage session on the track the other day by the way. A fast 5k on the track has to be on the cards with sessions like that.

Dunno this is more a rhythm running session which i have been nailing all the way through my training but my faster sessions seem to be lacking a bit so I am still bit wary about predicting a good 5k just yet. Will have a few 1500/3000m coming up soon and then a 5k on the track on the 26th of June so hopefully can come good for that

May be making my tempo runs as part of your easy runs! :P
    Wednesday|Easy Run| 8.80 miles|7.07 mile pace |1.02.40

This run was taken pretty handy ticking along nicely and let the pace take care of itself.

About 2 mile into my run ran by a girl fairly belting it the opposite direction. Two thoughts crossed my mind first was she was doing a mile or two all out, second maybe her running in the opposite direction and my pace being honest enough prob made it seem faster than it was. Forgot about it then only to come across her 4 miles later still hitting this pace:eek:. This time she was running in my direction so I was able to judge her pace a bit better. Didnt recognise her but who ever it was was clocking sub 7 miles no bother to her.

• Advertisement

Perkina3 wrote: »
    May be making my tempo runs as part of your easy runs! :P

Might be an idea. How your training coming on this week you been awful quiet?

Yeah it's going alright. I have had to re jig your programme around because its my final couple weeks in work and also had an opportunity on monday but on course to get all the training done....

Just posted on my log there... the two flex sessions will be done tonight and sunday

Do you have any advice on diet and stuff like that? Just can't seem to get a proper diet going and its beginning to annoy me.

Ok really have neglected this over the last few weeks. To summarize training has been less than ideal

Contributing Factors
    • Stag weekend abroad
    • Sickness (prob as a result of stag)

Basically as a result mileage was down missed days were coming enough. This week have been coming back to normal. While sick had a race in the Mazda leagues got roped into the 3000 Steeple. The fact taht I am not training for the steeple this year and that I was sick mad this hell. Weather didnt help as I struggled around to a very poor 11.16. this was around the same time that I ran in round 2 last year so I suppose not the worst considering but still nearly 30 secs off PB

Easy runs this week were a suprise hitting 8-9 miles in 6.40 (prob bit fast) - 7.10.

Wednesday was a light session

20 min easy,28 min fartlek (14*1 min on one min off) 20 min easy

Happy enough with how that went legs still not right but pace was honest. Average pace for this run was 6.40 (7.20 for the easy run sections)

Todays Session

5*400, 5*300, 5*200 (1 min between reps, 4 min between sets)

Splits: 400s: 70, 67, 67, 69, 69
    300s: 50, 51, 51, 51, 52
    200s: 31, 32, 32 ,32 ,32

Tired and legs felt crap but was pleasantly suprised with the times

Tuesday|Easy Run+ strides| 6 miles|No Watch |
    Wednesday|Race| 1500m| |4.24.84
    Thursday|Easy Run| 10.03 miles|7.13 mile pace |1.11.52

Graded Meet 1500m
    Training has nit been ideal as of late but getting back on track. Coach wants me doing a few shorter races to for a bit of sharpness so I was told to do the 1500m rather than the 5000m. This was my first 1500m in 2-3 years so it was gonna be an interesting one.

Body felt crap all day and regardless of all my stretching and drills before the race didnt feel loose. When I got to the startline was shocked to see how many were in the graded. 20 in the race meant that getting out fast was gona be important.

Gun went and we were off. Hit about mid pack after 100m. Coming along the home straight the head wind tried to tuck in but didnt help too much. Hit 300 at around 50-51 and pushed up the field from here. 67 at 400. Bit fast but thats the nature of a big field in a MD race. I was sitting in about 7th 3 seconds off the leaders.

Settled into my stride a bit too much on the second lap as was a bit slow. came through finish looking at the clock hitting 2.00. I was shocked that it was that slow till i remembered this was not a 3k or 5k. I was thinking this was the 600m split not the 700m. Got to 800m at 2.19. Second lap was bit slower than should have been but given the wind didnt worry too much. I was still hitting my pre race paces (70 sec laps)

Dug in and worked hard on the 3rd lap as this is usually where 1500m races are lost and hit another 71-72 (3.31 @ 1200m). I was suffering though and the field were passing my as i started dropping down places. Pushed hard but was fairly spent. Managed to go with 150m to go and caught one the lads with about 15 m to go finishing in a time of:

Given the conditions I was pretty happy with this as my PB is only 4.22. I reckon their is a sub 4.20 there by the end of the summer. Need to get back into routine including racing as since may i have not had the consistency I had been enjoying through the early part of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Do you have a target 5/10k for later in the summer?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Do you have a target 5/10k for later in the summer?

It was supposed to be u23 5k this weekend. However with traniing not being ideal, lack of race sharpness and work commitments I have to look around for a 5k later in the summer. I think National Seniors may be an option but not sure yet. Think it more going to be get into the shape to take down the PB and see if I can find a 5k track race around then.
    If not I have Rathfarnam in mind for a target race in Sept but trying not to think that far forward as of yet and just enjoy a proper track season as i plan to race a good bit in the next month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

id say you could take that 1500m time down below 4.15 if you did a few more races and even popped in an 800m race to get the legs really turning over.
    Couldn't believe how many where in that race and think i even heard the starter say ''sorry lads we are short a lane thats the best we can do''

id say you could take that 1500m time down below 4.15 if you did a few more races and even popped in an 800m race to get the legs really turning over.
    Couldn't believe how many where in that race and think i even heard the starter say ''sorry lads we are short a lane thats the best we can do''

Yeah it didnt help that the lads I was beside were low 4 runners on a good day so kinda let them away with it:p.
    Plan is to do a few 1500/3000 over the next few weeks so either the mile or 3000m at the next graded yet to decide which.
    When I saw you jogging around i thought you were warming up. how come decided not to race?

Right looking back on my log my season ended around this time last year so I compiled list of my races. Thought now might be a good time to compile my races over the past 12 months for bit of a comparison

2009/2010

5 July – 400h - 67.59
    16 July – 3000m (Track)- 10.21
    4 Oct – Rathfarnam 5k - 17.09
    11 Oct - Novices XC (6k) - 21.55
    17 Nov - 2 mile (Road Relays) - 10.43
    5 Dec- Jingle Bell 5k - 17.10
    28 Feb- Half Marathon -1.17.06 *PB*
    9 April - 3000m (Track) - 9.52
    - 800m - 2.13
    19 April- Great Ireland Run 10k - 36.44
    23 April- 3000mS/C - 10.50 *PB*
    2 May Great Limerick Run 1.29.38 *Pacer*
    19 May -1mile 4.46
    2 June -3000m 9.41 *PB*
    14 June -3000mS/C - 11.07

2010/2011

4th Sept – Dingle Half Marathon - 1.44.36 *Pacer*
    11th Sept – BHAA 10k - 36.56
    30th Jan – Rahey 5m - 27.41
    13th Feb - My Sport 10k - 35.02 *PB*
    5th Mar - Interclubs 12k (XC) - 48.31
    26th Mar- IUAA 8k (XC) - 30.05
    9th Apr- BHAA 4 Mile -21.48 *PB*
    17th Apr - Road Relays 2 mile - 10.33 *PB*
    20th Apr- Colours 5000m (Track) - 16.53
    1st May- IUAA 10,000m (Track) - 35.35
    22nd May Wexford Half 1.29.49 *Pacer*
    12th June -3000m S/C 11.16
    22nd June -DAB Graded 1500m - 4.24.84

Have to say looking at my times I am much more impressed with my races this year. Also the fact that I have only run one less race and yet I am only starting track season as opposed to finishing like last year is also an indication of the success of the change in training this year

• Advertisement

Friday|Easy Run| 10.28 miles|6.48 mile pace |1.10.26

Nice run kinda let pace get away from me as was basing it on feel. Run was comfortable enough. Glad that training is starting to get back on track

Advertisement