Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Saturday|Track Session| 8 miles| |

Session: 2 mile warm up, 10x400m w/ 200 jog rec (90sec) 2 mile cooldown

Splits:67, 68, 69, 69, 70, 71, 70, 71, 71, 72

Out to Belfield for this one as was working all day so I couldnt get down to my own track. Lovely night for training bar the wind. Not gonna lie though these I found tough. The wind didnt help and I was struggling to hold form in the last few but pushed on and managed to get them done.
    Also took a positive from fact I am getting training back under control. Even managed to resist going out last night first time in weeks as with work this morning and the session I knew it wouldnt get done if I had gone out so 6/7 days this week on the cards not perfect but i getting back to the hard graft. This sport never gets easier:D

Sunday|Easy run|12.89 miles|6.59 mile pace |1.30.00

On days like this there is nothing better than a run sun beating down to the point where even got a little Flotrack WOW style topless running just to keep myself cool:D. Legs were little heavy from the session yesterday but loosened out a bit as the run went on

Monday|Easy run|7.10 miles|7.28 mile pace |52.58

Legs were fairly heavy so just took it pretty easy especially with session tomorrow as it looks like I am racing on Fri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

What's the race?

Woddle wrote: »
    What's the race?

Managed to track down a 1500 down in Wicklow. Still waiting on the rest of the details but to be honest I was just looking for a race this week so jumped at the chance when a friend of mine mentioned it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Good man lad.... how your training is goin well I can see... the 400 splits were quite impressive chief.

Tuesday|Track Session| 7 miles| |

Session: 3.1 mile warm up, 4x200m w/200 jog rec, 800m w/400 jog rec 4x200 w/200 rec 1.15 mile cooldown

Splits:31,33,32,33, 2.19 31,32,32,32

Been feeling very crap all day with toothache that pain killers hadnt seemed to help all the same got out for the session and glad i did. 200s were supposed to be comfortable and they were even if they were a little faster than was to be expected. The effort was on the 800 and this was supposed to be pushed hard enough. The splits for this despite not feeling good were very even clocking 34,69,1.44 and finishing in 2.19 so I was happy with this although would have liked the 800m to be a little quicker than this but every session cant go to plan i suppose. Was happy how easy it was to recompose myself for the 200s after though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I know you love your miles but I don't think you are going to run the times you want over 1500m and 3k if you don't bring down the long run on a Sunday.
    Running track season now is all about feeling fresh and getting soem quality sessions under your belt.
    Good luck with the 1500m race.

I know you love your miles but I don't think you are going to run the times you want over 1500m and 3k if you don't bring down the long run on a Sunday.
    Running track season now is all about feeling fresh and getting soem quality sessions under your belt.
    Good luck with the 1500m race.

Understand what you are saying. Given the fact that I am still aiming for 5k the shorter races are just for a bit of sharpness means keeping the volume up a bit. The overall mileage has come down a bit though recently as the intensity of the sessions is going up.
    To be honest I am just doing what I am told for once rather than second guessing the training. Haven't been steered wrong yet with PBs (so far) this year from 2 mile to 10k

Thursday|Easy run + 6x100m strides|8.12 miles|3.75 mile pace |30.45

Just a pre race shake out to freshen up the legs. Tomorrows racing shaping up nicely as another lad from here (Timaay) is running the race also and his aim is similar enough to me in the race so hopefully work together to push us under the 4.20 mark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

ecoli wrote: »
    Thursday|Easy run + 6x100m strides|8.12 miles|3.75 mile pace |30.45

Just a pre race shake out to freshen up the legs. Tomorrows racing shaping up nicely as another lad from here (Timaay) is running the race also and his aim is similar enough to me in the race so hopefully work together to push us under the 4.20 mark
    Running @ 3.75 mile pace you will be well under ther 4:20 :)

Best of luck tomorrow

shels4ever wrote: »
    Running @ 3.75 mile pace you will be well under ther 4:20 :)

Best of luck tomorrow

Haha think I have 4.15 as a secret target from that post:rolleyes: Retry this 3.75 miles @ 8.12 pace there we go much better:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

good luck this evening. I'm good to go for an easy run tomorrow if it suits you. Will have to be early enough though, around 9.30 am. I'll give you a shout later

good luck this evening. I'm good to go for an easy run tomorrow if it suits you. Will have to be early enough though, around 9.30 am. I'll give you a shout later

Grand ill be free that earler anyway will just have to keep post race celebratory beers to a minimum to make sure I get out of the bed:p

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Would love to actually meet the pair of you at some point though me running beside you two would be tantamount to a stroll in the park for a pair of you while I would be strugglin to keep up :P

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Would love to actually meet the pair of you at some point though me running beside you two would be tantamount to a stroll in the park for a pair of you while I would be strugglin to keep up :P

You will be there in no time just have patience. In the mean time rest up and let the antibiotics do their job;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

I don't think you are going to run the times you want over 1500m and 3k if you don't bring down the long run on a Sunday.

I wonder what poor auld Arthur would say if he heard such nonsense

Race was a disaster to say the least. I struggled to find a shorter race this year as the coach wants me working on sharpness at the moment so when Timaay mentioned his club were holding a track race I had one thing on my mind tonight was a PB attempt and nothing else. Conditions were perfect no wind (unlike my last 1500m).
    There werent too many in the race Timaay, myself, 2 younger 800ms runners with very good PBs, and two older lads. Despite the small numbers one of the 800 guys was a 2.02/4.19 8-15 guy and Timaay was aiming for low 4.20 himself so I thought it was a very good chance at hitting sub 4.20. Just before the race heard the 800 lad getting his instructions from coach. "I want you hitting 68 and 2.16 and after that see what you can do". Given the fact I knew the coach and know he wanted him to get a good run out I figured he would be perfect to track and see where I was at that stage.

Race went off and I hit his shoulder. Refused to let him shake me and I was feeling very comfortable. Breathing felt good and felt easy so figured I was in good shape if I was feeling this relaxed at 68-70 pace. Only problem was this wasn't 68-70 pace. Hit the first 400 in 74:eek::eek::eek::eek:. I was disgusted way too slow meaning I was gonna have to clock a 66 at some stage just to make up that difference or even 2 seconds per lap just to manage 4.22 pace. From here hit the front and pushed on. I had alot of work to do. The lads seemed happy to let me do the work and didnt really put in much effort to push the pace. I think club rivalry took over with them and became tactical. Second lap was a 70 from front running. Not quick enough and I knew PB was gone. From this point shut down. The lads passed and began to push on but I was so frustrated didnt go with. Hit 1100m at 3.21 but to be honest I didnt care at this stage and completely shut down in last lap to clock my slowest time since I was about 15 or so with a 4.39. Effectively ran at 3k pace.

Rather than let the day go to waste and given the fact the race was run at 3k pace I ended up making today a session which went like this

1500m @ 3k pace, 7 min rec, 15 min fartlek (1 min on 1 min off), 5 min cooldown (3.2 miles)

Saturday|Easy run|12.58 miles|7.16 mile pace |

This was a first in a long while for two reason. The first being hit out to Phoenix Park as I havent been there in months. The second was the fact that I had company on my run. Running with TheRoadRunner and Tunguska this morning made this one an easy run. Also found out about the fact that Tunguska has a bit of a diva streak in the fact that his feet are more tempermental that Naomi Campbell regarding training runners:D

This was a first in a long while for two reason. The first being hit out to Phoenix Park as I havent been there in months. The second was the fact that I had company on my run. Running with TheRoadRunner and Tunguska this morning made this one an easy run. Also found out about the fact that Tunguska has a bit of a diva streak in the fact that his feet are more tempermental that Naomi Campbell regarding training runners:D

He is the Imelda Marcos of boards.ie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I should never have said anything, I seriously dont think you and dave wouldve even noticed. Although I ran with a few lads from sportsworld yesterday and they noticed straight away. I better get this sorted before I become known as the bloke who runs in two different shoes.

tunguska wrote: »
    I should never have said anything, I seriously dont think you and dave wouldve even noticed. Although I ran with a few lads from sportsworld yesterday and they noticed straight away. I better get this sorted before I become known as the bloke who runs in two different shoes.

As long as you the top end of the results sheets though you are a trend setter rather than just weird (Just ask this guy http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield/index.ssf/2011/06/what_in_the_world_is_galen_rup.html )

As long as you the top end of the results sheets though you are a trend setter rather than just weird (Just ask this guy http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield/index.ssf/2011/06/what_in_the_world_is_galen_rup.html )

or he'll just have to wear the mask to hide his shame ;)

:(Day|Training|Distance
    Monday|Easy Run| 4.9 miles
    Tuesday|Recovery Run + strides| 4.41 miles
    Wednesday|Race| 1500m
    Thursday|Easy Run| 5.84 miles
    Friday|Easy Run| 6.38 miles
    Saturday|Track Session|
    Sunday|Easy Run| 10.11 miles

Track Session: 1.5 mile warm up, 4x400m off 75 sec, 4 min rec, 5x300 off 60 sec, 4 min rec, 4x400m off 75 sec

Splits: 68, 68, 69, 70
    52, 51, 51, 49, 50
    70, 71, 69, 72

Also a Quick apology for sleeping it out this morning Tunguska

After last weeks disaster was back for another PB attempt at the shorter distance. on the way out to the race I was kinda pessimistic as there was an almighty downpour but thankfully it was short lived and come the time of the race I was ready to go.
    Gun went and went out relatively hard (having last weeks race in mind was not about to make same mistake) the good start meant I was nicely positioned after about 150m. From hear I got into a comfortable rhythm unlike the last 4.24 I ran. Hit 400 at 68 and was delighted with that as I was feeling good. Kept the momentum up and was making sure that I was holding my position and making sure that i stayed in touch with the lads in front of me to keep me honest and not give up. 800m in and i hear the split "2.16-2.17" perfect.
    I knew that the next lap was gonna make or break me. I had been pushing it hard first two laps now it was just about holding on as best i could for this lap and give all i could in the last lap. At this point people started making moves behind me and given my lack of the extra gears not able to respond that well and just had to try run my own race. Hit the 1200m mark in 3.28. This was perfect as I was happy to be coming through this in sub 3.30 now began the work. I had to try and find an extra gear and step things up to dip under the 4.20 mark. I needed to find an extra 2 seconds in the last lap from my current pace. I was hurting but a pushed on and gave everything coming down the last hundred (was even forced into lane 3 to get space to try and pass). Finished in a time of

4.21.51 (New PB)

I was delighted with this. Although I would have loved to dip under the 4.20 mark I had given my all in that race and didnt have anything left so I couldnt complain with it. End of the day I broke what i consider to be my strongest PB (personally not IAAF scoring tables :P)

Also my first track PB of the year and hopefully first of a few

Monday|Easy run|5.16 miles|7.01 mile pace |36.17

Tuesday|OFF|| |

Should have got out but the lack of motivation that I have been fighting with the last while got the better of me. I was busy but to be honest I used that as an excuse

Wednesday|Hill session|9 miles| |

3.19 miles easy, 10 x approx 300m hills (jog back down rec), 2.90 miles easy

Splits:52, 53, 55, 59, 57, 57, 57, 57, 58, 57

Felt crap on this and cut it short from the planned 12

Thursday|steady run|10.04 miles|6.41 mile pace |1.07.17

First run I had headphones in for all year and found it made a huge difference. Actually covered closer to eleven but the Garmin knocked off for no reason like three times and by time i realised and restarted the clock would have accounted for roughly a mile. This run was a bit of a test for me I have been doubting my strength the last while because missing days here and there so I said aim would be to maintain a fast pace as long as I felt comfortable and the pace averaged out at this. Was really happy with it as it seems to have renewed my motivation better than anything I have done in the last few weeks.

Friday Am|Easy run|5 miles|7.29 mile pace |37.24

Up and straight out the door this morning for the first run off the day. Glad that I seem to have the renewed motivation carry through to today so hopefully I can keep it going over the weekend and get back on track

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

hopefully I can keep it going over the weekend and get back on track
    Man, I wish I did some track racing, so I could use a line like that. :)

Congrats on the new PB. Super running, particularly after the previous week's disappointment. Interesting to read a few poster's experiences of running a PB after a disastrous race the previous week. Maybe there's something in that. Improved strategy? More mental determination? Hardly fitness earned over the course of a week.

Man, I wish I did some track racing, so I could use a line like that. :)

Congrats on the new PB. Super running, particularly after the previous week's disappointment. Interesting to read a few poster's experiences of running a PB after a disastrous race the previous week. Maybe there's something in that. Improved strategy? More mental determination? Hardly fitness earned over the course of a week.

To be honest the week previous I jumped in the race for one reason and one reason only a PB. I knew I was in the shape to do it but the races was just not the place to do it and given my own stupidity in the first lap made it impossible to chase and shut down as a result. I think had the field been the same the week before I would have achieved it there. Some races are from the gun some are slow tactical affairs and that was the case the week before and I just didnt want to have anything to do with that kinda race which is why I turned it into a session (maybe not the right approach but it was all I was interested in).
    I think sometimes in the case of people it takes the pressure off. They are expecting a time and the nerves make them tighten up and have a distaster. The following week the nerves are gone and moreso running on anger or trying to redeem themselves and as such the pressure of the PB is taken off a bit in some respects

Friday PM|Easy run|7 miles|7.33 mile pace |52.53

Legs were quite heavy this evening. Prob should be easing up on the mileage coming up to race on Sunday but have to prioritize so train through this and focus on race on Wed. Will keep tomorrow easy though just to flush out the legs after the last three days which have been fairly heavy. Still good to be getting back into heavy training again getting my head back into it

• Advertisement

Saturday|Easy run|4.46 miles|7.34 mile pace |33.48

Just a few easy miles today with the race tomorrow. Legs a little heavy still so the reduced mileage today is probably welcomed change and will be grand tomorrow (though not expecting to be fully fresh)

Advertisement