Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Today's race was unique in the fact that it was the first one in a while where I was not looking for times I was not even focused on pushing hard it was just to get the points for the club. In the last round I had run 11.15. This time I was going into the race with heavy legs (steady 11 thurs, double fri and easy instead of recovery run yesterday). Was also working late last night meant it was after 2 when i got to sleep (Stupid coffee machine in work).

The weather this time round was terrible. Blustery winds and drizzle meant I was just gonna run withing myself. When I got to the start line legs were still heavy and tight (probably because the meet was 20 min ahead of schedule and my warm up was cut short) Never the less gun went off and slotted in nicely behind the Premier lads. First 200 was 81 quick pace for my steeple PB but given there are no hurdles in the first 200m was to be expected. At this stage 2 of the competitors in my Division had shot ahead of me. One I knew would be miles ahead but the second I was expecting to come back as he went out like a bat out of hell.

As the laps went on I was running within myself and fairly comfortably. 82 ,2.44, 4.09, 5.37. As the laps went on I was feeling I had paced myself nicely. Wasnt suffering but had been working hard (especially as I had let the group ahead of me go at 600m so was effectively running on my own in the wind). The laps went on 7.06 for 2km and the splits started to register. I was on for an alright time her close to PB. Kept working and was starting to reel in the lads ahead (who had started spitting few out the back)

The last lap I was about 30m off the 2nd place in our division so I said I would try and push on to see if I could catch him. I was not flat out but was feeling strong and as if I was moving. With two hundred to go I was just outside 10 min (10.06). I had 44 secs to hit for the last 200 to equal my PB so I started to crank it up. Put in a solid spurt but had too much ground to make up on the 2nd place and finished about 10-15m off him in a time of.......

10.46.23 (New PB)

Managed to take four seconds off my previous best which was a major suprise given how I was feeling and the weather. I reckon there is another 10-15 secs there to be got (who knows maybe in the final:D).
    This has left me very optimistic for Wednesday when I aim to take a chunk off my 3k flat time so hopefully now I can continue the form. Its amazing how things can just go right on a day when you dont put any pressure on yourself

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Monday|Easy run|10.15 miles|6.57 mile pace |1.10.38

Nice to get this one out of the way early. Have found now my body is alot better at coping with easy runs without breakfast. This time last year i was not able to go over 30 min without having some food in the belly this year seems to be no problem (makes it easier to get in morning runs as dont have to wait to digest brekkie:D)
    Was also good to have company for the first 5 mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

what is your current 3k PB. Good luck Wednesday anyway

what is your current 3k PB. Good luck Wednesday anyway

9.41 from last year so should be able to take a chunk off that

Tuesday|Recovery run + 4x100m strides|5.09 miles|8.36 mile pace |43.05

Nice and easy just to get the blood flowing in the legs now to rest up for the race tomorrow

• Advertisement

Bad night sleep last night meant I was a little nervous of how I was gonna perform (Swear one these days gonna get that tooth looked at been bothering me for 4 months on and off now) Despite this I was in good shape and had been lying down so legs were rested so it shouldnt affect me too much.

When I got out to Irish town with talking to alot of people it seemed everyone was doing the 800 (there were three A races alone) then went up to sign in and saw the numbers were low. I made choice to sign up for my first A race in the gradeds thinking if I wanted to be in a fast race it was where i needed to be (or worst case the races would all be run together). I had 9.20 as a target in my head and was gonna give it a shot.

Good 3 mile jog and plenty of time for stretching and drills. The fact that there were delays through the night meant that I was not rushed at all with this so i was feeling nice and loose for the race. When I got to the checking got a bit of a shock as there was 20 entered in the A race alone (including our own KiwiRunner). Thought this could be a blessing in disguise as surely meant that there would be a wide spread of times.

Gun went and I slotted in close to the back. After 100m I had to make a break to prevent me getting caught up by the lads who were coming in from the outside lanes (it was a staggered start). From here though it was apparent. This race was gonna be a struggle. Hit 400 in 74 perfect pace, yet I was still close to the back of the field. I didnt mind this as the wind had picked up and the lads were providing good cover.

Next few laps were going according to plan. 800 at 2.29 (75 lap), 3.45 for 1200 (76 lap). There were three of us at the end were working off each other. The field was almost at single file at this case and there was no major gaps so good for people going for time.Next lap it looked like one of the lads I had been working off had started to slip slightly, only 3,4m off the other guy (Raheny) but because I had been tracking him I was being affected so I made a move to go around him. 1600 in 5.01 (76 lap).

At this point the Raheny lad had regrouped and was back up in it. I started to slip at this point and let the two lads get away from me. Only like 5m but it was enough to ruin the race. It was at this point the wheels came off. I was done. Next lap was a 80 to bring me to 2k in 6.21. 9.20 was gone but if I could hold it together I could still get a PB. This was not to be though as I was hurting bad and started clocking crazy splits with a 84 followed by a 83. Dug in as hard as I could in the last 200 to finish in a 38 to bring me through in

Finishing Time: 9.50

This was a race where I took a risk and it didnt pay off but at the end of the day there was no other way I could have ran this race as I was way out of my depth so I had to just give it a go. Next time I will head back down to the B Grade and hopefully have a crack at the PB and not try to be overly ambitious and take nearly three seconds a lap off (20 in total as my PB is only 9.41)

The fact that i managed 9.50 after blowing up so bad is slightly optimistic as last year I had run 9.50 off perfectly paced races

Onwards and upwards

Thursday AM|Easy Run|5.49 miles|7.14 mile pace |39.45

Few miles this morning with one the lads who has moved to the area. Nice to have company on runs more regularly over the last week or so. My one double of the week so was just getting the legs moving and will run again later tonight nothing too major though as the legs are feeling the race so will be kept slow

Thursday PM|Easy run|8.91 miles|7.27 mile pace |1.06.23

Very easy run here just about getting the double in and keeping it easy after the race last night. Have been looking to the winter and plans for it as i think next week will be the end of my track season (unless the coach has other ideas). Looking to slowly build the mileage hopefully over the winter and all things going to plan i would like it to pan out as follows

July/August 70 mpw over 8 sessions per week (1 double)
    Sept/Oct 80 mpw over 9 sessions (2 doubles)
    Nov/Dec 90 mpw over 10 sessions (3 double)

Which would bring me nicely to the 100mpw mark by Jan. I feel its a slow enough build up that would make my body able to handle it. Injury has been nearly non existent this year (thank god) so i think motivation would be the only obstacle to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

ecoli wrote: »
    The fact that i managed 9.50 after blowing up so bad is slightly optimistic as last year I had run 9.50 off perfectly paced races

Onwards and upwards

Loving the attitude, well done.

Woddle wrote: »
    Loving the attitude, well done.

Think I have gotten to the stage where I am loving running again and as long as I learn something from races or about myself through racing i got something from the race

This time it was dont try to break your PB by 20 seconds in a 3k unless you know you are in atleast that shape :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

July/August 70 mpw over 8 sessions per day (1 double)
    Now that's just over-doing it!

You must be planning another half-marathon+ assault with that kind of mileage?

Now that's just over-doing it!

You must be planning another half-marathon+ assault with that kind of mileage?

No thats for 5k/10k (have 2 races in mind in sept).That the kinda mileage i was hitting in feb march to be honest it is do able 10 miles per day, one rec day of 5 miler, 1 15 mile LSR. Sure on for that this week without too much hassle

Edit: just saw the mistake oops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I was thinking more the Nov/Dec/Jan, where you hope to hit 90-100 mpw. What's the goal then (given that it's passed your September goal races)?

Running that mileage will mean that you'll end up running a lot of slower miles (along with fast key sessions). Will that kind of mileage improve your 5k-10k times or is it base building for an early assault on the track in early 2012?

I was thinking more the Nov/Dec/Jan, where you hope to hit 90-100 mpw. What's the goal then (given that it's passed your September goal races)?

Running that mileage will mean that you'll end up running a lot of slower miles (along with fast key sessions). Will that kind of mileage improve your 5k-10k times or is it base building for an early assault on the track in early 2012?

I think it will definitely have a major benefit on my 5k-10k times but you are right its more with a view to next year. I have always found I am in my best shape off higher mileage so they aim will be to slowly build to get to a sustainable level for next year. The coach will probably want me doing XC during the winter but regardless of the winter aims the mileage will be the same just the emphasis and the sessions will be where it is different depending on the goal

This year despite chipping away at alot of my PBs was always viewed as a transition year. The plan was to sustain higher volume training. It was always made clear that next year will be when i start to reap the rewards from the sustained training. Thankfully despite lack of motivation in a few months during the summer training has been consistent and there have been nop "rest weeks" and the rest days have dropped significantly this year. I still would like to break 16 this year but if i dont I will still be looking for big improvements next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I like the long term focus in the log, So anohter crack at the inter clubs next year?

shels4ever wrote: »
    I like the long term focus in the log, So anohter crack at the inter clubs next year?

Its the only way to approach this sport, there are no quick fixes as long as I can continue to plug away at the times I am happy. Funny enough was chatting about something similar on one of my runs yesterday and one the lads kept referring my training to the likes of Brendan Foster and Ron Hill with the emphasis on long term development and perseverance

Best quote I ever heard regarding this was " Running is 90% work, 10 % talent and if you dont have the talent, you have to work 90% harder" Having seen three of my former training group go on to international competition (2 of which have medalled on the international stage) I have accepted that I am of the hard work category, but that does not mean that I can not get to a high level of performance just have to put in the hardwork

Unfortunately I will probably be ropped in for a team. This race bugs me as its the wrong time of the year and not part of the XC season so rarely have the specific work done to race well as normally sessions are on road and track at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Its the only way to approach this sport, there are no quick fixes as long as I can continue to plug away at the times I am happy. Funny enough was chatting about something similar on one of my runs yesterday and one the lads kept referring my training to the likes of Brendan Foster and Ron Hill with the emphasis on long term development and perseverance

Best quote I ever heard regarding this was " Running is 90% work, 10 % talent and if you dont have the talent, you have to work 90% harder" Having seen three of my former training group go on to international competition (2 of which have medalled on the international stage) I have accepted that I am of the hard work category, but that does not mean that I can not get to a high level of performance just have to put in the hardwork

Unfortunately I will probably be ropped in for a team. This race bugs me as its the wrong time of the year and not part of the XC season so rarely have the specific work done to race well as normally sessions are on road and track at this stage

Yep the old story of the inter counties and inter clubs again, They really need to have a look at the whole XC season. But it is a mess at the elite level to with the europeans and world too.

Friday|steady run|9.05 miles|6.38 mile pace |1.00.00

This was alot faster than intended. Was in a bit of a hurry this evening and could only get an hour in so rather than cut the run short the pace picked up. Probably not the smartest move with a session tomorrow but hopefully legs wont be too heavy

Saturday|Track Session|8.60 miles||

Session: 2.6 miles warm up, 8x400 off 60 sec (100m jog) rec, 4 min rec, 4x200 off 60 sec rec

Splits: 400m: 76, 75, 75, 75, 74, 74, 74, 73
    200m: 29.3, 31.0, 31.5, 31.2

Thankfully this session was supposed to be controlled because the legs were a little heavy from the run last night. Happy enough with the consistency of the splits and the fact that they were progressive.
    Once I got the 400s out of the way i was like a grand that was the worst of it. Unfortunately not the 200s hurt but was glad to push them though the last wo it was hard to maintain the form and speed as i was hurting a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Mate thats some very good running.... I know I am nowhere near that level but its something I will look to aim towards in the coming years...

Reading this log really makes me wish I had started running when I was younger :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Reading this log really makes me wish I had started running when I was younger :rolleyes:

While patience is an important part of training I wouldnt worry bout feeling limited because you came to the sport later in life.

I know many people who started young and fell off and likewise i know people who have come to the sport late and done very well (not that 24 is exactly over the hill:D)

Best story I can tell you is one of my friends who I met in college. I was manning the athletics booth in college recruiting new members and this guy comes up and goes " Im looking to join, I'm pretty fast and I gonna win the Intervarsity championships for you guys", we asked had he ran before and he said no.
    6 months later on a trainig camp with the college and he is talking about making the Ireland team (junior). I kept telling him just put in the work keep the head down and worry about making the Ireland team in a year or two. What happenened? 2 months later he made the ireland squad, since then he has made a handful of teams and is one of the top 2 runners for his distance in ireland this year.
    Point is we shoud not put limitations on ourselves but rather approach endeavours in our life with a sensible and realistic plan.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us"

Sunday|Easy run|14.68 miles|7.30 mile pace |1.50.14

Despite this being labeled an easy run it was anything but. Got out of work early and had choice of getting the run out of the way or getting something to eat and digest so by time I would have got out would have meant I would have been running into late hours of the night. So with 2 slices of toast and a bag of jellies all day in me I was out and away. The legs were heavy from the last few days and adjusting back to the higher mileage so pace was slow enough and as the run went on the hunger got worse and worse so I was pretty drained by 8 miles but laboure on. Thankfully I had company for about an hour of the run in the middle which helped alot

Total Weekly mileage: 69.98

Total Weekly mileage: 69.98

Ah come on you gota round that up to 70 miles even an ~70 :)

Ah come on you gota round that up to 70 miles even an ~70 :)

Only realised that it was that number when I checked the log otherwise would have jogged in the driveway. Will have to run 70.02 next week yo make up for it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

While patience is an important part of training I wouldnt worry bout feeling limited because you came to the sport later in life.

I know many people who started young and fell off and likewise i know people who have come to the sport late and done very well (not that 24 is exactly over the hill:D)

Best story I can tell you is one of my friends who I met in college. I was manning the athletics booth in college recruiting new members and this guy comes up and goes " Im looking to join, I'm pretty fast and I gonna win the Intervarsity championships for you guys", we asked had he ran before and he said no.
    6 months later on a trainig camp with the college and he is talking about making the Ireland team (junior). I kept telling him just put in the work keep the head down and worry about making the Ireland team in a year or two. What happenened? 2 months later he made the ireland squad, since then he has made a handful of teams and is one of the top 2 runners for his distance in ireland this year.
    Point is we shoud not put limitations on ourselves but rather approach endeavours in our life with a sensible and realistic plan.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us"

Ah yeah true enough but **** mate.... there is a loonnnnggg way to go before I could even contemplate that kinda standards!! :P

Love the quote by the way!!

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Love the quote by the way!!

Have to throw in the odd one to keep people interested in the log:D

Monday|Recovery run|7.31 miles|8.14 mile pace |1.00.16

Legs got a well deserved easy day today. Made sure to keep this slow and relaxed so that the legs could get a well deserved rest after the last few days. Decided to run this one with one of the groups in the club though started to pull away from the group and ended up just two of us for most of it. Still was nice to have company. beginning to become a bit of a habit these days

Tuesday|Easy run|9.31 miles|7.15 mile pace |1.07.32

Despite being no more than 2 miles from it, today was my first time to train in Corkagh park. Its weird its about same distance from the other park i train in yet despite that it never crosses my mind to train there only for few people have mentioned it recently to me as an option so as i was in the area this morning so said i would do my run there. Have to say i like it as a park to train in and will be using it more often from now on to keep things fresh. Legs were a little heavy for the first few miles but began to freshen up as the run went on

Tuesday|Easy run|9.31 miles|7.15 mile pace |1.07.32

Despite being no more than 2 miles from it, today was my first time to train in Corkagh park. Its weird its about same distance from the other park i train in yet despite that it never crosses my mind to train there only for few people have mentioned it recently to me as an option so as i was in the area this morning so said i would do my run there. Have to say i like it as a park to train in and will be using it more often from now on to keep things fresh. Legs were a little heavy for the first few miles but began to freshen up as the run went on

yeah all the good looking runners train there I heard

• Advertisement

yeah all the good looking runners train there I heard

Really? will most certainly be training there more often so:D Unless you are referring to Krusty? (I remember you mentioning you were married but I have never asked was it happily married, could make for some awkward conversation on our next run;))

Advertisement