Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

yeah all the good looking runners train there I heard
    Yep its a who's who of irish distance running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

yeah all the good looking runners train there I heard
    ecoli wrote: »
    Really? will most certainly be training there more often so:D Unless you are referring to Krusty?
    shels4ever wrote: »
    Yep its a who's who of irish distance running.

Sorry I should have clarified. There are a couple of ugly bastards (such as Shels and Krusty) who bring the overall hotness of Corkagh down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Sorry I should have clarified. There are a couple of ugly bastards (such as Shels and Krusty) who bring the overall hotness of Corkagh down.

Well lads im glad to join the ranks. Do we get our own support group to deal with our insecurities having to run side by side with all these good looking people:p

It's not how good looking you are it's how fast you can run....... ah pox you win that one maybe I should shout up...

Well lads im glad to join the ranks. Do we get our own support group to deal with our insecurities having to run side by side with all these good looking people:p
    I think that coudl be a good idea.

• Advertisement

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Wednesday AM|Track Session|9.20 miles||

Session: 3.19 miles warm up, 200-200-400-600-400-200-200 (rec: 100m jog after 200s and 400s, 200 jog after 600) 4.14 miles cooldown

Splits 34, 35, 72, 1.52, 70, 34, 35

This was a pretty light session with the last serious track race of the season coming up at the weekend. Despite this wanted to keep the volume up so stretched out the warm up and cool down a bit. Happy enough with the splits everything was quite comfortable. To be honest felt a little guilty this session went by so quick i hardly got to the stage where i felt i was really working

Wednesday PM|Easy Run|6.00 miles|7.05 mile pace|42.30

Had to get out on this double today. Busy weekend so need to get mileage in early this week if i plan on hitting the 70 mile mark. Wont worry if I am a little under but just need to keep ticking along with it especially with the race this week. Was a little tired on this run but i think that it was down to the fact that i had spent the day in the sun as once i got out legs were grand

Thursday|Easy Run|9.35 miles|7.28 mile pace|1.09.55

Kept this one fairly handy with the race on saturday so just bout getting in the miles as easy as possible. Legs were a little heavy from yesterday anyway so was a welcomed easy day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Kept this one fairly handy with the race on saturday so just bout getting in the miles as easy as possible. Legs were a little heavy from yesterday anyway so was a welcomed easy day

Ecoli,

I have enjoyed following your log this season.
    What are you running this weekend, is that the end of the track season for this year?

dna_leri wrote: »
    Ecoli,

I have enjoyed following your log this season.
    What are you running this weekend, is that the end of the track season for this year?

Thanks,

Yep this will be the end of the track season regarding aiming for track times so hopefully I can add a 3000m PB to the list for the year. I may be called up for the National League finals if needed but i think they are trying to rope in all the bigs guns from the club so hopefully I might be off the hook with that one. Plan slightly changed over the course of the season as the u23s was scrapped due to slip in fitness and motivation. From there i decided to focus towards the National Seniors but both the coach and myself decided that still a year away from being at the level to compete in this so we knocked it on the head.
    Will spend August keeping the mileage up and getting stronger and then come out and race in September before I hit a XC season. Have a 10k and 5k in mind for Sept as I would like to tackle the 5k PB so that I can end the year with the following PBs: 1500 (attained already) 3000 (hopefully tomorrow) 2 mile (attained already) 5k (hopefully Sept) 4 mile (attained already) and 10k (attained already)

• Advertisement

Friday|Recovery Run + Strides|4.58 miles|8.10 mile pace|37.26

Bad night sleep last night but thankfully came last night rather than this evening s hopefully good night sleep tonight and be fresh for the race tomorrow night. Did six strides 2 @ 5k pace, 2 @ 3k pace and 2 @ mile pace just to waken the legs up and get the blood flowing

Bit late with this as havent had access to computers since saturday afternoon so here goes.
    This was the last race of track season for me so i was hoping for a good run out and hopefully take down the PB as my last attempt was a bit of a disaster. The B and C races were ran together so this time i would not be fighting for my life at the back as i had been with the A race last time. Gun went and i took the first 200 quite conservatively in 38. It felt very comfortable and was making sure that i wasnt goin out too hard. First lap was hit in 76 which was slightly quicker than had intended but nothing that would affect me later in the race. Even still the next lap i slotted in with a little group around me and clocked an even slower 79. This was probably a little too slow so started deciding i was gonna have to make sure that i didnt repeat this again. Thankfully i was not the only one as i little young lad (bad sign when I am calling people that but he was only 16 or 17) started taking off like a hare and i followed suit.
    The lad helped me push on as we were a few metres off the next competitor and was a bit fearful of going after him and being exposed however i chanced it and started working on my own. 76, 77, 78 were the next three laps and i was running well with a good bit left in the tank. The lads had folllowed and had started to push on themselves and we were catching runner after runner. One the runners who was working well around me was none other than our own gmurran. Another 75 followed after this and the lads had taken lead from me. I worked hard but they pushed on ahead. I was beginning to thik i was in a little bit of trouble. With another 77 i came through 2800m in a time of 9.03. Given the fact that my last 3k i closed in 38 i was gonna need to pull something out of the bag. I was accelerating but would it be enough. Came around with 100 to go and I saw the familiar Blue and yellow singlet of my old college and one the lads who had been there same time as me. I pushed on hard and gave it my all. Managed to blow past him and checked the watch......

Official Time9.35.25

A new PB by 6 seconds I was delighted especially given the fact that i had closed in 32 high

This was the 6th PB in the last 6 months so had to be happy with how the season has progressed this year has seen a big change in my range of PBs

Distance|PB (pre 2011)| Current PB
    1500|4.22|4.21.51
    3000|9.41|9.35.25
    3000 S/C|10.50.47|10.46.23
    2 mile|10.43|10.33
    4 mile|22.23|21.48
    10k|36.15|35.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Great running. I checked the results and didn't see your name (may have just missed it) I thought you may have had a disaster. I thought you had ran a few too many miles in the lead up to your race but it seems I was wrong and it did you no harm what so ever. Nice way to finish track season with another PB

Great running. I checked the results and didn't see your name (may have just missed it) I thought you may have had a disaster. I thought you had ran a few too many miles in the lead up to your race but it seems I was wrong and it did you no harm what so ever. Nice way to finish track season with another PB

It seems they have a Dunboyne runner in twice and first of them is actually my number (had been using same one all season so knew it fairly well). The mileage doesnt seem to affect me that much and the only one of the PBs which wasnt set off a 60+ week from what i remember is the 1500. Back to strength work now though and sustained efforts so this months should be interesting

Sunday|Easy Run|12.36 miles|7.14 mile pace|1.29.53

Was down the country for a wedding so had to get this in early so 6.45 up and out of the bed (suprised how easy it was considering it was after 12 by time i got down after driving straight after the race). The roads were empty and the route i took (knew the roads pretty well due to it being at the grandparents house for the night) was empty at that hour and nice loop of rolling hills the whole way. Was happy to get this in and keep the mileage up close to 70 for the week

Monday|Recovery Run |4.54 miles|8.45 mile pace|39.45

Kept very slow though this was involuntary given the fact that was at wedding the night before and lets just say that at 8 am when people were coming down for breakfast I was only heading to bed so this was put off for as long as possible but needed to get out

Tuesday|Easy Run |5.21 miles|7.25 mile pace|

A night in westport and the wedding celebrations continuing Monday night meant this was kept short. Given the track season was over needed a bit of a blow out and then get it out of the way and get the head back down.

Wednesday|Tempo Session |10.24 miles||

Session:3 miles easy, 2 miles tempo, 1 mile easy, 2 miles tempo, 2.24 miles easy

Splits:5.34 (downhill), 5.58 & 6.06, 6.04

This was suprisingly hard I dont know whether it was the heat, lack of tempos over the last while and sustained efforts, or the weekends escapades but i found these tough enough hopefully they will get better over the next while as I start to look towards races in September

Thursday|Steady run |9.57 miles|6.54 mile pace|1.06.07

This run did not go as intended. One of the lads was doing a tempo similar to the one i did yesterday and I agreed to start off doing the 2 miles easy at the start with him and letting him go off from there for a 2 mile tempo. After the two mile at 7.30 pace I was feeling grand so decided to go with him so ended up popping out 2 miles @ tempo in 5,52 an 5.51. This felt a hell of alot easier than yesterdays run (think the down hill fast one put the legs into lactic or the humidity had me beat). After this we went our seperate was and i was feeling grand. Proceeded straight back to easy pace and last five miles were all sub 7.10 so didnt really take much out of the legs and was feeling grand. I know its not ideal but will stretch well tonight and get in good recovery

Friday AM|Easy Run |4.29 miles|6.52 mile pace|29.29
    Friday PM|Hill Session |10.80 miles||

Session: 3.5 miles easy, 10 x 80 sec hills jog back down rec (2 min) (distance covered 3.8 miles), 3.5 miles easy

Despite being a good bit fitter than the last time I did these they never get much easier. It was back up to my usual hill in Bournabreena which I use during strength building phases. I was kinda dreading this as last few days I have put my body through a bit of abuse in terms of training and starting to feel it a bit. Despite that the session went very well. Reps were nice and controlled with the focus being on form and good knee lift rather than speed. Last 2 or 3 reps began to struggle which is normal in this and the bodies tiredness kicked in as my finishing spot began to drop slightly from what I had been hitting in the earlier stages of the session. All in all happy with it and where I am comparing to this time last year

• Advertisement

Saturday|Easy run |12.24 miles|7.24 mile pace|1.30.44

Out early This morning with Tunguska and TheRoadRunner. Brought to a route that is near enough the area but have never actually been and great spot. Was debating pushing this out to 15 but have abused the body bit too much this week and said would just keep to the 90 min as mileage for the week will still be around the 70 mark (3rd week in a row roll on the consistency)

Sunday|Easy run |9.90 miles|7.29 mile pace|1.14.13

Was glad this was the end of the week i have put my body through fair bit this week and starting to take its toll so looking forward to my recovery day tomorrow.Was out on this run and was contemplating cutting this to 7 or eight thankfully i bumped into a group of runners i knew some of which down from the country for National seniors so tagged along with them to get the extra bit done. Now time to relax and unwind in the style only National Seniors nights out can deliver:D (I swear I am going strictly for research purposes for Krusty and Donothoponpops training book:p)

Monday|OFF |||
    Tuesday|Easy run |5 miles approx|7.20 mile pace approx|
    Wednesday|Steady run |6.05 miles|6.36 mile pace|40.00

Low mileage the last few days but will make up for it later in the week. Tuesday got out after toothache subsided for few miles and the Garmin dies about 2 miles in so took my usual five mile route but pain started to come back so left it at one lap. Wednesday finished work and was pushed for time so i said i would move session to Thursday and get in a steady run. The fact it was only 6 miles meant this felt quite easy which i am happy about as i want to get to stage where my sustained paces feel easy between steady runs and tempos. Will throw in 2 doubles to keep the mileage up this week as main thing I am looking for is consistency as this month is flying in

Wednesday|Hybrid Session |12.35 miles|6.42 mile pace|1.22.55

Session: 3 miles easy, 4 miles tempo, 1 mile easy, 10x 20 sec hill sprints, 3.15 miles easy all continuous running

Splits
    Easy Miles:7.21, 7.17, 7.21

Tempo miles: 5.43, 5.38, 5.52, 5.40 (average pace: 5.44)

Easy mile: 7.05

Hills: 5.20 average, with recovery jog back down average pace 6.29

Easy miles:7.25, 7.16, 7.09

Today was just one of them sessions that went right. When i finished in work I had been putting this off for an hour or two and eventually dragged myself to put on the runners and get ready when suddenly I could hear a downpour. An excuse to put it off a little longer however it was short lived and i dragged myself out. The first few easy miles were very handy I was like a dog straining at the leash to push the pace. Perhaps the moderate paced miles last night had woken them up but i was ready to go.
    Hit the first tempo mile still holding back didnt wanna go out too hard and suffer as I had last week so i kept it nice and relaxed. Pushed it a little on the next one in the early stages of the mile bit was still feeling good. It was at this point i decided to push the tempo slightly. Plan originally was 20 min but i decided when not keep it simple and base it on miles so i decided to hit four. The third mile was tough enough turning into face a head wind straight on as well as a slight climb but i managed to dig in and work hard. Time was a little slow but the effort was probably higher than the other miles. Next mile then pushed it again.
    Was happy with the tempo part and then on the easy mile i could not keep the pace down the legs had recovered within 3 min or so. mapped the run fairly well to as only had to make up .2 beside the hill before I was to hit the hill sprints. At first these were by far the toughest part of the session. As they went on though they started to get a little easier. I was roughly getting to 100m in the 20 seconds working hard enough. After this just over three mile home. Legs heavy from the session but not too bad as still managed to hit the easy miles at average pace without any difficulty
    Really Happy with how this session went so good day at the office also suprised than manage to make up a bit of extra mileage which was lost in the early part of the week

Friday AM|Easy Run |9.8 miles|7.21 mile pace|1.12.08

Calves were tight after yesterdays session plus the breakfast despite being light wasnt sitting right so the first few miles were slow got into running after this though and felt nice and relaxed after that. Was kept amused around Corkagh park by all theZorbing Events on around the park even for the first time saw water zorbing in which a girl in a zorb was running along the top of water on the lake though seemed to be more like torture to the kid as she ended up falling at every third step and landing flat on her face. Would love to do something like that if i see an adult version around:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Friday AM|Easy Run |9.8 miles|7.21 mile pace|1.12.08

Calves were tight after yesterdays session plus the breakfast despite being light wasnt sitting right so the first few miles were slow got into running after this though and felt nice and relaxed after that. Was kept amused around Corkagh park by all theZorbing Events on around the park even for the first time saw water zorbing in which a girl in a zorb was running along the top of water on the lake though seemed to be more like torture to the kid as she ended up falling at every third step and landing flat on her face. Would love to do something like that if i see an adult version around:D
    there is an adventure centre in blessington where they used to do the Zorbing , went there before for a hen , however i would check it out first cause loads of the stuff was out of action the time we went down

Friday PM|Steady Run |5.48 miles|6.32 mile pace|35.49

Out after work for this one nothing like having the streets to yourself without (bar the couple of taxi s out) pace was quicker than I was expecting for the thought. Might not be the most sensible to have couple of moderate runs especially nights before sessions but i think the emphasis on strength at the moment as opposed to speed i can get away with pushing the pace of some of the shorter runs around sessions as they are less intensive based and more tempos and hills

Saturday|Hill Session |9.44 miles||

Session: 3.5 miles easy, 8x80 sec hills w/2 min rec (jog back down), 3.5 miles easy

Legs were very heavy from the start of this session. Despite the legs not feeling great aerobically i was recovering quicker than last week on the bournabreena hills which is a good sign. Think the steady pace was in my legs though as began to struggle in the second half of this session and cut the session from 10-8. The fact is this is a form session and as form started to go out the window it became pointless continuing. Not too worried though as still have more hills done this week than last with thurs session

Saturday PM|Recovery run |4.95 miles|8.56|44.14

Very easy run tonight just to flush out the legs as were feeling the weeks miles. I will have to get in for a massage next week at some stage as I havent been in a few weeks and with the mileage back up the last few weeks the body prob needs it

• Advertisement

Sunday|Long run |18.25 miles|7.06 mile pace|2.09.37

Hit the park this morning to meet brownian (pleasure to meet you), KrustyClown, TheRoadRunner and Tunguska. Even picked up a few extra heads on our way around. Was good to have a large enough group to make the run fly in. After the 15 mile mark though I was hitting uncharted territory this year. I did an 18 miler last year but aside from that one this was my longest run of the year by a bit. As such body started to fade a little and as there was only 3 of us left at this stage i began to just sit about 5m off Krusty and TheRoadRunner.
    All in all happy to get this in and nice way to round off a 70+ week

Total weekly mileage: 71.32

Advertisement