Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

ecoli wrote: »
    Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Sunday|Long run |18.25 miles|7.06 mile pace|2.09.37

Hit the park this morning to meet brownian (pleasure to meet you), KrustyClown, TheRoadRunner and Tunguska. Even picked up a few extra heads on our way around. Was good to have a large enough group to make the run fly in. After the 15 mile mark though I was hitting uncharted territory this year. I did an 18 miler last year but aside from that one this was my longest run of the year by a bit. As such body started to fade a little and as there was only 3 of us left at this stage i began to just sit about 5m off Krusty and TheRoadRunner.
    All in all happy to get this in and nice way to round off a 70+ week

Total weekly mileage: 71.32

We were actually trying to drop you. We don't like carefree single men like yourself who obviously hate children and their parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Sunday|Long run |18.25 miles|7.06 mile pace|2.09.37

Hit the park this morning to meet brownian (pleasure to meet you), KrustyClown, TheRoadRunner and Tunguska. Even picked up a few extra heads on our way around. Was good to have a large enough group to make the run fly in. After the 15 mile mark though I was hitting uncharted territory this year. I did an 18 miler last year but aside from that one this was my longest run of the year by a bit. As such body started to fade a little and as there was only 3 of us left at this stage i began to just sit about 5m off Krusty and TheRoadRunner.
    All in all happy to get this in and nice way to round off a 70+ week

Total weekly mileage: 71.32

Just had a look at the now infamous "Child-hating" thread you started. You know its bad when woodchopper has your back.
    Think maybe you're off quite a few crimbo card lists now man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

tunguska wrote: »
    Just had a look at the now infamous "Child-hating" thread you started. You know its bad when woodchopper has your back.
    Think maybe you're off quite a few crimbo card lists now man.

Best of luck with your 16 mile tempo run this week icon9.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Monday|recovery run |4.74 miles|8.13 mile pace|39.01

Legs were very heavy today glad to get the recovery day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Are we a go for Thursday morn?

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    Are we a go for Thursday morn?

Sorry did i not mail you back? Yeah thursday same time?

Sorry did i not mail you back? Yeah thursday same time?

Great stuff see you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Best of luck with your 16 mile tempo run this week icon9.gif

Ah now Woody dont be like that. We'll have to get a saucer of milk for you if you keep it up:).
    Anyway apologies if my comment caused you offense, was meant tongue in cheek thats all.

Tuesday|Easy Run (9.56 miles) + 8x100m strides |10.06 miles|6.59 mile pace|1.06.49

Woke up this morning feeling fairly wrecked (bad night sleep last two nights) so I took an executive decision to push double had planned today to later in the week. Legs were still pretty heavy from weekend but despite this was tipping along at a nice pace and felt easy. Decided to include strides after as I have neglected this over the summer somewhat and given I am doing hills and tempos whole time at moment with the higher mileage need to keep the legs in touch with a bit of speed so I was pushing these a little (4.20ish mile pace) with a full walk back recovery. Hopefully doing this kinda thing once or twice a week will keep the legs in touch with some speed so not a shock come Rathfarnham

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You must be very tired. Today's Tuesday!

• Advertisement

You must be very tired. Today's Tuesday!

:mad:Forever copying and pasting the table without updating the day. You really on the ball today busting chops on all the logs (first poor brownian now me:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Woddle wrote: »
    Great stuff see you then.

What's going down on Thursday? I may be around!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I heard they were meeting in the Furry Glen...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

:mad:Forever copying and pasting the table without updating the day. You really on the ball today busting chops on all the logs (first poor brownian now me:D)
    This is what happens when you do your run at lunch-time. Lots of spare time to go picking holes in other people's training logs. :)

2.5 miles of a warm up
    then either a mile or 3km time trial for myself in which ecoli is going to pace me
    2.5 miles cool down
    meeting at the track at 10:30am if you're interested.

Wednesday|Session |11.03 miles||

Session: 2.98 miles easy, 16x400m off 30 sec (jog 100m rec), 3.05 miles easy

Splits: 81, 78, 79, 79, 80, 78, 79, 79, 79, 81, 80, 82, 81, 81, 79, 77

At first looking at the times for this session I was not too happy with it. Legs felt tired throughout the run. In hind sight however this was not too bad for a few reasons:

1) Couldnt find flats so this was done in normal trainers
    2) recovery was 15 sec shorter than i used to have.

Last time I did this session looked like this

16x400m off 45 secs

Splits: 79, 78, 80, 79, 80, 79, 80, 79, 81, 80, 81, 79, 79, 79, 79, 77

So I have managed to hit the same kinda times with 15 sec shorter recovery so this is a sign I am progressing even if the legs were still feeling the long run from the weekend (or perhaps yesterdays run was tiny bit too quick)

Thursday|Race simulation | 3 miles||

Agreed to pace Woddle this morning on his TT so managed 1 mile warm up strides and drills then 1 mile tempo @ 5.53 and one mile cooldown. pace was a bit uneven as ran 89, 2.55 after this was trying to keep Woddle on my shoulder as best as possible so i could push him on in the last two laps. Happy enough and looking at the time it only slightly slower than my steeple race pace which is kinda ideal considering there is a small possibility of me being called up to race this at the weekend so nice race paced mile to freshen the legs up a bit

Thursday PM|Easy Run | 10 miles|7.30 mile pace|1.15.04

Legs are as heavy as hell but kinda expected that this week as I have pushed it since monday pretty much with the intention of taking it handy this weekend as I am off on a lads weekend down the country and as such only plan on getting very easy 5-6 milers in just to keep mileage around 65+

Right been avoiding this for way to long so I said I would finally get around to updating it. Basically after 10 days off I was back trying to get in shape to pace the Dingle half (a battle which I lost) but I have managed to get back on track and suprisingly the fitness returned quicker than expected

Tuesday |Moderate run| 6.08 miles|6.52 mile pace|41.48
    Wednesday |Easy run| 9.69 miles|7.14 mile pace|1.10.04
    Thursday |Easy run + Strides| 10.09 miles|7.18 mile pace|1.13.42
    Friday |Very easy run| 4.46 miles|7.45 mile pace|34.32
    Saturday |Easy Run| 12.02 miles|7.19 mile pace|1.27.59
    Sunday AM |Easy run| 6.09 miles|7.22 mile pace|44.47
    Sunday PM |Easy run| 7.39 miles|7.24 mile pace|54.38

Total Mileage this week: 55.82

Tuesday was to see whether I could hold the pace for Dingle given the effort it took though pacing the sub 1.30 was not on the cards. Didnt help that had a bit of a cold all week that did my best to shake but has been hanging on for dear life

Monday AM |Easy run| 5.09 miles|7.13 mile pace|36.44
    Monday PM |Easy run| 7.10 miles|7.12 mile pace|51.09
    Tuesday AM |Easy run| 3.22 miles|7.46 mile pace|24.59
    Tuesday PM |Track Session| 10.19 miles||
    Wednesday |Recovery Run| 3.89 miles|9.09 mile pace|35.32
    Thursday AM |Diagonals| 4.16 miles|6.56 mile pace|

Track Session: 3.08 mile warm up, 20x400 off 2 min cycles (target 80 w/ 40 rec), 2.14 cooldown

Splits:82, 79, 79, 80, 80, 79, 79, 78, 78, 80, 80, 79, 80, 79, 79, 82, 80, 80, 80, 79

Killer of a wind on this one so rather than my usual jog 100 recovery i was static. The idea was this way i could monitor splits better and was hitting the wind at the exact same spot on each rep. Have to say the the walking recovery rather jogging made this very do able I effort was not too bad and a nice way to ease back into sessions after the last two weeks. Wind hit after three hundred so I spent the last 100m really working on form driving the arms and knees.

Diagonals: 1 mile warm up, 2.16 diagonals (Stride from corner to corner of GAA pitch and jog width as recovery) 1 mile cooldown

This was a session really working on form. With the recoveries being so short also managed to get a bit of aerobic work in too but kept this short as was only a light session to help focus on form rather than actually be killer as will be my third session this week). Also used it as a chance to get into the XC spikes and slowly get the body used to them again

Happy enough that I seem to be back to myself. Calf is niggling me a bit but nothing major will get that sorted out with a massage early next week. On course for highest mileage week ever if i stick to the plan (80+)

Change of thread title for two reasons:

Think I had a copy cat fan which was confusing as nearly posted my training in another log:D

Come Jan I am a full fledge Senior so I am not sure whether or not I will have any more u23 races before then.

• Advertisement

Thursday PM |Easy run| 9.19 miles|7.05 mile pace|1.05.14

Went out and bought new runners today. Found a never heard of brand with runners reduced from 120 - 30e. Said to myself that will do fit the orthotics in and tried them on seems grand so in and out in 15 min, forget all this gait analysis etc this has always been my approach to buying running shoes. It was only in work updating my log that I realised that my last pair had lasted 6 months and over 1100 miles:eek: perhaps it was needed at this stage for more than just the side starting to rip:D.
    Have to say the run in the new shoes felt so good. Effortless and felt light as a feather. Was clipping along at 7 min pace for the first 2 miles which was quicker than usual as normally my first mile or two are 7.30 - 7.40 till the legs get warmed up. Met one the lads after this and the pace slowed (though I was almost figiting with the drop in pace just wanted to let loose. left him with 2 to go and pace picked up slightly again while still feeling very easy

What a difference a pair of shoes make (Despite the Half truths in Born to Run which I have just finished reading....... very entertaining but dunno where to begin with some of the stuff in it on barefoot running:rolleyes:)

Friday |Easy run| 8.26 miles|7.11 mile pace|59.24

Reluctant on this run as it was early and I was rushing all morning still got it in. One them days where it just about ticking off the mileage

Saturday |Easy run| 14.54 miles|7.04 mile pace|1.42.46

Met up with couple of boardsies (Tunguska, Brownian and theRoadRunner) and up to the waterworks. Eased into the pace but soon we were finding it hard to keep the pace down. Thankfully there between RR who was racing after the run and wanted to keep things handy and a voice of reason we held it at around 7 min pace. Kinda glad of this as I have a session tomorrow so should have been keeping this run as easy as possible anyway. Great to have the company. Finished the run up at the Race HQ for the BHAA 10k and was sick to be missing it driving by the athletes as they wer coming round first lap (Had work at 12 so no way i could have hopped in the race)

Sunday AM |Easy run| 4.48 miles|7.46 mile pace|34.49

Nothing major just a light run to loosen out the legs for session tonight. This wind is not gonna be pretty for it but I suppose nothing you can do to control the weather;)

Sunday PM |Long tempo Session| 13.32 miles|6.42 mile pace|1.29.08

Session: 2 mile warm up, 10 mile Long Tempo (roughly MP effort), 1.32 miles cooldown

Splits: 6.20, 6.17, 6.12, 6.16, 6.22, 6.06, 6.13, 6.03, 6.06, 6.10

Total: 10 miles in 62.13 (6.13 mile pace)

Really happy with how this went. Weather was not on my side and it seemed that no matter what direction I was going in I could always feel the wind in my face to some degree (some more than others). With the way the weather was I set the target on 8-10 miles @ 6.15-6.20 depending on how I was feeling with the weather and though I was pushing the effort hard on some stages between few hills and the wind I was feeling strong so decided to keep going after the 8 mile

All in all a good end to my first ever 80+ mile week

Total Weekly Mileage 83.44

Monday |Recovery Run| 4.47 miles|9.11 mile pace|

Was expecting to feel alot worse today after a heavy week but felt surprisingly good. Despite this took the recovery day seriously so dropped the pace big time and a massage later

Tuesday |Easy Run|8.22miles|7.06 mile pace| 58.29

First two miles into the wind it started to shower. Felt icy and wintery regretted going out in a t shirt and shorts. After got past that two mile my direction turned as I entered the park and from there was pretty decent weather sun even came out. Legs were a little heavy hopefully be as good as new for session tomorrow

Wednesday AM |Hybrid Session|10.8miles||

Session: 3.5 miles warm up, 10x 80 sec hills w/ 2 min jog back down recovery, 2.5 miles fartlek, 1 mile cooldown

Fartlek: 3min easy/(1 min hard)/2/(1)/1/(1)/1/(1)2/(1)/3/(1)

() = hard section

Fartlek Splits 5.35 pace, 5.28 pace, 5.39 pace, 5.35 pace, 5.11 pace, 5.18 pace

This was a session which took some motivation to get out and do. I kept trying to find a reason why I would be better off putting it off till tomorrow even though I knew I would be grand once i got out. Thankfully I couldnt find a good reason so headed off up to the usual hill in Bournabreena.

Felt better on this that I had done in a while yet all the same it was still challenging. was managing to keep pretty much around the same finishing point each time but as they went on it was becoming harder and harder to do. Got to the last one and was strugglin. Thankfully my MP3 saved me here as just as I was about to start this rep the perfect song came on. It was the Song from Rocky 4 montage (Hearts on Fire) in which he is training to beat Ivan Drago by running up the snowy mountain. There was no way on earth I was not finishing a hill session with that song playing so i attacked the hill. hit the half way point a second or two quicker than had done the few previous but was still controlled from here really pushed on and finished about 15m further than any of the other reps of the day.

Rather than strides after a session I thought I would keep the session going with a bit of flat paced stuff so I added on a light fartlek at the end as I was feeling well recovered from the hills pretty quick. Kept this around 10k pace and tried to hold it into the wind and the paces increased last few as I turned out of the headwind so the effort was roughly the same

All in all a good days work

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

I'm tired just reading that ...
    Nice Rocky montage that but my own Rocky song of choice would be 'Push it to the limit' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X8OWbHG0ww :-)

Patrick_K wrote: »
    I'm tired just reading that ...
    Nice Rocky montage that but my own Rocky song of choice would be 'Push it to the limit' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X8OWbHG0ww :-)

Have that one on the running MP3 also (I am a demon for cheesy eighties music when running:D)

• Advertisement

Wednesday PM |Easy Run|4.8miles approx|7.20 approx|

Got off work early tonight so said I would get in a sneaky double only problem is I hadnt put the Garmin on charge s just did a route I had fair idea of the mileage of. Felt pretty crap at the start but i think this was just down to the take away I had in work (didnt get lunch break as I was up to my eyeballs earlier in the evening

Advertisement