Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

ELFOYZER wrote: »
    Just a quick word of thanks for this morning. Great run for us and good for the confidence too. Nice meeting Dr. Q and the brown fella too! Best of luck in your final.few weeks training guys.

Thought I would give you a comparison and show you difference between this year and last year

Last year

8:06, 6:49,
    8:03, 8:04, 6:51, 6:46,
    8:21, 8:05, 7:59, 6:48, 6:45, 6:56,
    8:26, 8:07, 6:56, 7:17*,
    8:51, 6:58

This year
    8.16 - 6.49
    8.04, 8.12 - 6.53, 6.51
    7.44, 8.18, 7.50 - 6.51, 6.47, 6.41
    8.03, 7.42 - 6.48, 6.44
    7.53 - 6.36

Look at the difference in the second half of the session and this will show you the improvement big time you well on for a good time this year

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Almac06

Cheers for session today, legs not talking to me now but they will get over it. Those sneaky detours up the hills were uncalled for.:D

Cheers again and good luck to the lads for DCM, looked like a stroll for them so should not be a problem for their targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

That's a great session lads. Bet the miles fly with all the pace changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Good spin; great to mreet the lads and chatvthrough the miles. Thanks to ecoli for the pacing- top job!

Big time cwgatling, we were actually saying that after the run. As the run was broken into different segments we were just focused on that particular segment at that time and before you knew it we were into double figures. Mentally a lot easier than heading out for a full on 18 miler. Also bit of banter on the easy parts with the lads made it go even quicker. Only negative was while we were talking Ecoli was trying to find another hill.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Thanks guys- esp Ecoli for pacing was good fun....

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Monday| Easy Run| 7.64 miles|7.10 mile pace| 54.44

This was what I would call an interesting run to say the least. Woke up and had intended on getting running in before work as I knew I wouldnt have time in the evening however when I woke up the throat was a bit dodgy so I didnt really wanna risk it so didnt run.

The throat was my own fault as rushing to work after the session yesterday i got into work with 10 min to spare opened kit bag to find no towel. Thankfully had a face clothe so quick cleaning job with that. Worse still no spare runners so I was stuck in my running ones. Thankfully i took out the orthotics and change of socks and no smell so even though the shoes were kinda wet didnt stink out the office.

Anyway back to the run and a friend was up from the country after work so I wouldnt get out running after. This was gonna be my first day off in exactly 4 weeks. By some fluke however got a phone call just before leaving work saying they missed the bus and would have to get the next one. This had bought me a small window so decided a 20 min easy jog would suffice as a recovery from yesterday.

Got home and decided to bring the phone out with me to keep track on where they were. They had to get the luas after the bus so i knew once they had got there i had exactly half hour. Headed out on the run staying very local. 1st mile went by and they were on the bus. Second mile and they were about maynooth. It was at this point I said I would push the boat so ended up adding mile here and there. Kept waiting on the call but nothing so far 2.5, 3 hit four and I had the text meaning i had 30 min but I was in a good stride and the pace was naturally progressing I reckoned I could get in a decent easy run just under an hour.

All in all got the sneaky unexpected run in and had 15 min to spare for a shower. Job done:D

There's dedication for you.

Glad I don't share an office, mind!:)

brownian wrote: »
    There's dedication for you.

Glad I don't share an office, mind!:)

3 Essentials for ecoli to remain in peoples good books in work:
    • face cloth for hygiene
    • body spray (shower in a can) for smell
    • a fan just in case the first two fail

Imagine how much of a wash you might have needed if you actually broke sweat during the run!!!:D

• Advertisement

Tuesday| Easy Run| 10.32 miles|7.11 mile pace| 1.14.18

After yesterdays rushed run it was nice to have the run at a little more of a relaxed atmosphere to this run. Chose a nice uneven route with a few climbs and drops, this coupled with the wind made this run comfortably challenging. Though I never felt like I was pushing it as you shouldnt be on th easy days I was still feeling the pace was honest

Wednesday AM| Easy Run| 3 miles|7.21 mile pace|22.03
    Wednesday PM| Track Session| 10.10 miles||

Session: 3.10 miles warm up, 18x400m w/ 30 sec recovery, 3 miles cooldown

Splits:

79, 78, 78, 78, 76, 79, 78, 78, 77, 77, 78, 76, 77, 77, 77, 76, 77, 79

Quite happy with this session mainly because the times I hit were bang on what I wanted in the plan at this stage (average 78s) except I managed to do them even with a very strong wind. Admittedly effort was up due to the wind but I was recovering quickly. All in all a solid session and hopefully set me up for a nice race at weekend on what is a fast course after hearing the what the course is today finally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Any idea the route for this race on sunday? Absolutley nothing on the website. Doesnt look great when theres not even a map.

tunguska wrote: »
    Any idea the route for this race on sunday? Absolutley nothing on the website. Doesnt look great when theres not even a map.

Just posted on the Event thread was talking to Gary this evening and he told me the route so i did a map my run of it. Looks like a fast enough course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

tunguska wrote: »

Any idea where finish area is. Won't be running but will be down for a gawk.

Any idea where finish area is. Won't be running but will be down for a gawk.

Finish is just coming into the Westpark carpark. From what I am hearing small enough crowd entered so far however they see it as a long term project and would prefer to do things right for a small crowd and build from that rather than be stretched to point where quality of the race would be compromised (its rare I hear such sensible talk from our committee :D)

Thursday | Moderate Run| 5 miles|6.55 mile pace|34.41
    Friday| V Easy Run| 2.57 miles|8.15 mile pace|21.10
    Saturday| OFF| ||
    Sunday| 5 mile race| 9.miles||

Been a few days since I updated this and first thing I want to say is anyone who gets training off me look away now as this is NOT what you do on a race week:o

Basically Thursday night was a leaving due in work one which I couldnt get out of and against my better judgement a sickly amount of alcohol was consumed. Felt like death friday but managed to drag myself out for an excuse of a run but was physically as fast as I could run.

Come Saturday and hangover was gone but exhaustion still there and coupled with a long day in work which lead to my first day off in nearly five weeks and probably my worst week of training in about the same.

Which rolled on to sunday and a bad night sleep meant the exhaustion was still there. Regardless benig club race I couldnt actually bail on the race as I had to lend my support so I said I would still go for it.

When warming up I didnt know how the body was gonna react I reckoned my race was going to be decided in the first mile on whether this was gonna be a tempo run or an actual race. On start line body still not feeling good but I said feck it. No pressure as the field was of suprising quality for a first time race with relatively low numbers.

Gun went and we were off. Immediately i noticed a few of the juniors from the club blitzing off despite advising them to be very conservative as they are normally 1500 type runners (mind you they have some damn speed for their age). I was breathing heavy from about 150m in which was not a good sign at all. Took it handy enough and was in a bit of a rhythm but the breathing was still bothering me a bit and had a bit of a case of the beer sweats (really shouldnt be still having these couple of days later:D)

First mile and looked at the watch: 5.11:eek:. I knew first lap was a fast one no doubt especially with wind on my back but this would have been about the pace I would have hit if I was 100%. At this stage I was starting to pass some of the juniors but I was at a bit of limbo. There was one guy slightly ahead and then a big gap to the next group and we were starting to come into a headwind and also a decent drag so I could push on myself or slow the pace and work as a group. For some reason got the notion to push on and hope some would come with me. They didnt :( Still I was feeling strong and the next group had spit a guy out the back who I quickly caught up on. It was here when we started climbing I decided to be sensible and tooked in behind him and let him take the wind up the hill. This was evident in the next mile split: 5.41 For some reason thought that this was bang on my PB splits (dunno why I but I figured 5.40 was 27.40 pace though admitedly didnt check coming up to this race as wasn't sure I would even finish:rolleyes:)

In third mile a Raheny lad came by. It was at this point I realised I couldnt hid behind your man for ever as pace was starting to kill me so I then pushed on with the Raheny lad and began working together into the wind. The course was starting to feel alot trickier than I thought it was. Next mile we came out of the headwind about 400 before the marker but it had done its damage on the split another 5.41. At this point I am still convinced I have a 19 second cushion on my Pb so am delighted with myself. Not only this but I see the next Tallaght Athlete in front of me. This was a lad who had beaten me in Rathfarnham by more than 15 secs 2 weeks ago. Fact I was anyway in touch with him meant this was a very good run.

Next mile and I was gaining on him again and again the distance was narrowing. This mile was faster again 5.34. I figured PB in the bag and giving how bad I was feeling I still felt on good day I am in 27.20 shape at the very least not to mention the weather conditions or the course which I was now seeing was not as "fast" as I had initially thought.

Last Mile I knew was gonna be slow given I was on my own climbing into the wind and this kinda knocked the stuffing out of me a bit (the weeks adventures were starting to catch up on me) Finally caught the Tallaght Athlete and figured I had him as he is not known for his speed in a finish. Passed him with 200 to go but was slightly too early and he fought back. As soon as he went by me I was done and couldnt respond.

Came around the corner for another blow. The clock ticking away towards 28. Pushed hard and even though I just got under on the watch the chip time gave me 28 flat.

If you woud have given me 28 at the start of the day I would have chopped your hand off and maybe even would have settled for that being in decent shape but fact I was not 100% means I know I am in much better shape than I have ever been in.

Kinda sick I didnt take this more seriously as a key race but I suppose positives to be taken from it. The one mistake I wont make again is ever drink again the week of a race. Need to get the head back down now next week and push on from this and let this blow out keep me mentally strong for next 8 weeks atleast

Finishing Time:28.00

Splits:5.11, 5.41, 5.41, 5.34 5.51

Average pace 5.33 for 5.05 miles

Super, look forward to the piss up on the Friday before the DCM as per your guidance.

Great running, who needs lucozade sport. Alcohol is the way to go from now on.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ELFOYZER

Well ec, new twist on the beer mile. Great run all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Great running on a tough day. What's the next race for you, cross country?

Jesus, 2.57 @ 8:15 that's not your style at all. Must have been a serious night!

• Advertisement

cwgatling wrote: »
    Great running on a tough day. What's the next race for you, cross country?

Jesus, 2.57 @ 8:15 that's not your style at all. Must have been a serious night!

Next race I have on the cards will be the race pix 5k think this winter gonna stick to the roads and only do an XC race if they nee me for a team

Haha serious indeed open bar and i gave into peer pressure early so that run was probably the hardest I have done all year:o

Lesson to be learned is stick to my usual no drink the week of a race

Wednesday |Easy Run|9.96 miles|7.14 mile pace|1.12.03

I could give the excuse that the legs were in bits after the race for some reason as a reason why I took the last two days off but to be honest I was using that and tiredness as an excuse to validate a few days off the fact is I needed a good kick up the back side and today had a major HTFU speech to myself and got back out the door and back on track in terms of training.

I find once I get into a good routine that training comes easy enough as a second thought though that first day off and the mentality goes out the door and I have to really dig in to get out following that unless i feeling good so tiredness from work etc seem to become amplified. Maybe once the body gets a taste for time off it learns quick to like it and dont wanna go back to the grind.

Anyway its for this reason I am putting up my winter plans so that once there out there it means I will get the head down for the next 8 weeks and not have little slips like last week. I have mentioned to a few people that the thought had crossed my mind to aim for another half but I hadnt fully decided but now I am putting it out there........ The plan is to hit Waterford and weather depending try and crack 75.

I have been very strong in my last few races I have solid mileage base all year and mileage has been up the last few weeks with a few 80 mile weeks so i feel its a doable target. Also in work I was strongly advised to take holidays before x mas as currently I have 2 weeks worked up and they wont carry past Jan (dunno how I managed that much time as I figured I have been taking a few holidays here and there) so I am gonna use them around waterford to have a few days to rest up before and get extra few days down there hopefully

Plan is to hit 2 more races one next week and one in 2 weeks followed by 4 weeks heavy training and come out ready to go

Go for it! I'll ring Waterford and warn them now :)

You've got a great fitness level going, and now a clear short/mid term target...stay away from drink, women, nice food, couches, entertainment, and comfort and you'll storm along:)

brownian wrote: »
    Go for it! I'll ring Waterford and warn them now :)

You've got a great fitness level going, and now a clear short/mid term target...stay away from drink, women, nice food, couches, entertainment, and comfort and you'll storm along:)

Thanks I am not quite sure how it is gonna go I know I am in better shape than I was going into this training but the fact its only 8 weeks means I may not have enough specific work. Also looking at my times through my logs I was training much harder (perhaps too hard) but even though I am running better now some of the times/ session are intimidating somewhat

having said that here is a rough guide of what I am doing over the next 8 weeks. It will change somewhat in terms of moving around days etc to fit with work/life commitments

If anyone is training for Waterford and would like to hope in on any sessions during it they more than welcome (even shortened versions or what ever depending on their own targets) Drop me a Pm and we can arrange to meet up for some (company appreciated especially on the tougher sessions :D)

Thursday |Tempos Run|9.33 miles|6.56 mile pace|1.04.38

Session:2 miles easy, 5 mile Long tempo pace (MP), 2.33 miles easy

Splits 6.13, 6.07, 6.04, 6.14, 6.15

The plan for today was 10 @ MP effort however given yesterday was my first day back training this week i knew today the legs would be sluggish and they were so I said I would play it by ear and see how i felt and only managed half the session. Slightly disappointed with this however I dont mind a light session to get back on track and not over do it.

Friday AM|Easy Run|7.31 miles|6.50 mile pace|50.00

I think yesterdays light session got the legs back on board. pace felt fairly comfortable on this one hopefully will be the same on this evenings run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Some nice running recently- good luck w/ the HM Ecoli!

Friday PM|Easy Run|4.26 miles|7.32 mile pace|32.07

Against my better judgement ended up out with the work lads for an hour 5 aside on my lunch break. Probably not the best in terms of injury risk but a decent enough workout. I was fairly sore after so I knew I had to get out for a few easy miles after work just to get the blood flowing so I will be grand for training tomorrow. Plenty of stretching now

Saturday|Easy Run|11.36 miles|7.23 mile pace|1.24.01

Despite thorough stretching last the body was very much worse for wear from the 5 a side. Rather than risk an injury I decided today to make a judgement call to push session planned for today to tomorrow and long run to Monday. The fact that I have the next 2 days off work makes this alot easier and by changing doesn't really make much difference in the grand schemed of the schedule as If i double tomorrow I will still get in the same mileage as planned this week with recovery day moved to Tuesday will be grand for the session wed

• Advertisement

Sunday AM|Fartlek Session|11.96 miles||

Session: 3 miles easy, 20 min fartlek (1 min on/one min off), 1 mile easy, 20 min fartlek (1 min on/one min off), 1.96 miles easy

Fartlek Splits 2.97 miles in 20.01 and 3 miles in 20.01

Woke up this morning and legs still as sore as hell so I was not looking forward to training this morning. The only comfort I had was I could tell this was DOMS from the football moreso than a potential injury so by running on it I knew I wouldnt make it worse.

Seeing as I had the day off I decided rather than run from the house and do this session on roads as per usual I would change it up. The fact that it was fartlek also meant effort rather than paced based session meant I could move off road and hit somewhere different for a change so decided to do this session up at the Hell Fire Club. At top there is a 1 mile loop roughly with plenty of rolling hills on it which made it perfect for a good solid fartlek session.

Happy enough with how I went the pace was strong even on the hills I was getting down around 5.20 and lower paces even during climbs. Was expecting to struggle big time on the second set but to be honest I was even stronger on the second one. Really happy with it even though body is sore as hell now

Advertisement