Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Sunday PM|Easy Run|4.73 miles|7.40 mile pace|36.17

Pace for this one I have to admit was enforced by the body. Dont think I could have ran faster even if I wanted to as the body was pretty beat up from session this morning though hopefully this run will do me world of good in feeling better tomorrow.

All in all happy with this week. Started off badly with two days off but still managed a 60 mile week roughly so picked up as week went on and was topped off by a solid session today

Total Weekly Mileage: 58.91 over 5 days

Monday|Long Run|17.79 miles|7.28 mile pace|2.12.54

This was by far one of the most miserable runs I have been on in a very long time. I could see the direction of the wind before i left the house and knew how this was gonna effect my run as first 8 miles out wind would be on my back then long loop back to the house with a hell of a wind was not gonna make this pretty. The only thing i kept telling myself is I always get into my running on the second half of a run so hopefully I will be able to go okay in the wind.

First 8 mile went off without a hitch was 7.18 pace and feeling easy than turned off just before Milltown up towards Windy Arbour and Dundrum. The wind was bad but pace was't too bad till I came by Wesley College. Here is where I was pretty much fought to a near stand still by the wind. Battled on up to the M50 and then turned to head down by Balinteer and Nutgrove. It was here I got caught in an almighty downpour. I was soaked to the skin and then the wind started to cut through me. By 12 miles I was frozen to my core. I felt miserable and losing feeling in the fingers which were pretty much numb at this stage. I got to the stage where my whole body started to seize up with the cold.

I was struggling big time and the pace was dropping back as far as 8 min pace not because I felt bad on the contrary i felt strong but the cold had got to the bones and did a number on my body. I couldnt stop because it was an out and back loop so there was no other way home so I started to dig in though I had lost the interest in running at this point it was now just a means to get home into a hot shower. I was so demoralized at one stage I had the head down coming down through Firhouse, looked to my side in to a grassy area to see an ostrich staring back at me. Was I delusional from the cold? Thankfully not as I quickly saw the animals were part of a circus in the area (thank god). 3 miles to go and effort told me I was moving nicely however the body being seized prevented any real pace and I was up around 7.40ish and it was as fast as I could go without pushing too hard to justify it as an easy long run.

So glad thats over and a (well earned if i do say so myself) recovery day on the cards to look forward to tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

ecoli wrote: »
    Monday|Long Run|17.79 miles|7.28 mile pace|2.12.54

This was by far one of the most miserable runs I have been on in a very long time. I could see the direction of the wind before i left the house and knew how this was gonna effect my run as first 8 miles out wind would be on my back then long loop back to the house with a hell of a wind was not gonna make this pretty. The only thing i kept telling myself is I always get into my running on the second half of a run so hopefully I will be able to go okay in the wind.

First 8 mile went off without a hitch was 7.18 pace and feeling easy than turned off just before Milltown up towards Windy Arbour and Dundrum. The wind was bad but pace was't too bad till I came by Wesley College. Here is where I was pretty much fought to a near stand still by the wind. Battled on up to the M50 and then turned to head down by Balinteer and Nutgrove. It was here I got caught in an almighty downpour. I was soaked to the skin and then the wind started to cut through me. By 12 miles I was frozen to my core. I felt miserable and losing feeling in the fingers which were pretty much numb at this stage. I got to the stage where my whole body started to seize up with the cold.

I was struggling big time and the pace was dropping back as far as 8 min pace not because I felt bad on the contrary i felt strong but the cold had got to the bones and did a number on my body. I couldnt stop because it was an out and back loop so there was no other way home so I started to dig in though I had lost the interest in running at this point it was now just a means to get home into a hot shower. I was so demoralized at one stage I had the head down coming down through Firhouse, looked to my side in to a grassy area to see an ostrich staring back at me. Was I delusional from the cold? Thankfully not as I quickly saw the animals were part of a circus in the area (thank god). 3 miles to go and effort told me I was moving nicely however the body being seized prevented any real pace and I was up around 7.40ish and it was as fast as I could go without pushing too hard to justify it as an easy long run.

So glad thats over and a (well earned if i do say so myself) recovery day on the cards to look forward to tomorrow

Now thats something you don't read often on here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

You should have knocked in, I had the heating on and everything :D
    In all seriousness I would have given you a lift home.

Woddle wrote: »
    You should have knocked in, I had the heating on and everything :D
    In all seriousness I would have given you a lift home.

Ah the plan was for a +16 mile run so I couldn't cop out as missed long run last week with the race. Will make me mentally stronger in the long run (no pun intended):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Looking up from my keyboard to see what the Typhoon Devils had sent to visit Dublin, I was glad enough not to be out in that. Savage weather. You were lucky not to be hit by a flying ostrich - with wind like that, nearly anything can fly!

Well done - tough session - a bit of rain on a race day will seem like light relief.

brownian wrote: »
    Looking up from my keyboard to see what the Typhoon Devils had sent to visit Dublin, I was glad enough not to be out in that. Savage weather. You were lucky not to be hit by a flying ostrich - with wind like that, nearly anything can fly!

Well done - tough session - a bit of rain on a race day will seem like light relief.

If Saturday (or indeed waterford for that matter) is as bad as today I am rolling over in bed and giving the finger in the general direction of the race:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

ecoli wrote: »
    If Saturday (or indeed waterford for that matter) is as bad as today I am rolling over in bed and giving the finger in the general direction of the race:D

Waterford couldnt possibly be worse than it was last year, time to HTFU i think :p

Waterford couldnt possibly be worse than it was last year, time to HTFU i think :p

Well that what I hoping as the only Half I have ever properly raced was in Spain in Feb on a completely flat course So had perfect conditions now have to improve on that time:(

Tuesday|Recovery Run|4.5 miles|8.43 mile pace|39.15

Nice recovery run after a couple of hard days between Football Fri, Session sunday and yesterdays Long run just to freshen the legs up a bit

• Advertisement

Wednesday AM|Easy Run|5.03 miles|7.16 mile pace|36.24

Legs feeling good and strong again after the recovery day yesterday so just an easy run out this morning to get ready for session tonight after work

Wednesday PM|Session|11 miles||

Session: 3 miles easy, 8x1km off 90 sec rec, 3 miles easy

Splits:3.29, 3.25, 3.23, 3.22, 3.23, 3.19, 3.22, 3.15

As the track would be closing by the time I was off work I was back on the roads for this session. To be honest I am kinda glad I am avoiding the track for sessions over the last while as should stand to me racing the half as I not on a perfectly flat track but rather roads (even if the road I use is pretty much as flat as your gonna get).

Was freezing out tonight and I was kinda worried as this kinda weather increases risk of injury. Was wrapped up pretty well though (first time since snow last year I was in hat and gloves).

The odd number reps (1,3,5,7) were into a very slight wind and the even the wind was on my back though to be honest it rarely was too noticeable. The first one I took conservative for two reasons. 1)I wanted to make sure the body had warmed up properly as I was afraid of my life of pulling something in the cold and 2) being first rep my body took a bit of time to get into rhythm of running at the correct pace. After this I was in my running and feeling pretty good throughout.

The session was tough but I was still running within myself which was a good sign especially as anything between 3.25 and 3.30 was the aim so exceeded expectations. On the even number reps usually found first half was a little quick due to slight dip in the road but this levelled out in second half and usually the time balanced out between the dip.

On the last one I was slightly quick as per usual but decided to up the effort to maintain the pace in the second half which is why last one was a little quick. Sets me up nicely for what is going to be an interesting weekend of racing. Not looking for PBs but would like some solid strong runs as I have one more race after this weekend before nearly 4 weeks of solid Half training

Thursday|Easy Run|6.67 miles|7.18 mile pace|48.47

Massage md day to iron out few niggles (and there was a few) had the legs heavy but kept this one easy

Friday|Pre Race Shakeout + strides|3.3 miles|8.33 mile pace|28.13

Legs not feeling as good as usual on one of these recovery type runs but its probably the fact haven't had a massage in a good while that taking an extra day to get the full benefits from it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

just catching up on your log, nice 8x 1k.....going nicely indeed. ill follow with interest

2 miles easy, 5k race, 2 miles easy

This really is a weekend when runners are spoiled for choice in terms of races. When first looking for a race to do this weekend there were three which popped up this, the Bram Stoker 5k and Gerry Farnan. Given I am training for a half and have done no specific XC stuff stayed clear of that and thought the Bram stoker 5k would be a micky mouse race (that is till I heard the prize money that was on offer and how it has attracted very high quality field). That left this which was on a loop I have raced before so I knew was fast.

It was only earlier this week that i found out there is a 10k tomorrow which would have been more ideal (and as a result I am doing it to). Despite the strength focus i though this would be a good blow out.

On the warm up ended up heading out with lad from the club (who was eventual race winner) and another lad who is about the same level (but was supporting the OH rather than racing) it was as a result of this the warm up was a little hotter than should have been (7.01 mile pace)

Race went off and shot straight up with the lead group (knew with a fairly small field this would not be a secondary group which would be around my level). I felt I was working harder than I should have been and knew I wouldnt stick with this group and was shortly about 5m off the group.

Hammy's felt very heavy after the first km (3.20) a sensation I shouldn have been getting this early in a race (perhaps as a result of the warm up) At this stage I was running off the back of the group and was quite exposed to the wind (thankfully the course was somwhat sheltered otherwise this would have felt even worse)

Second km was 3.19 but even though I wasn't feeling tired I did feel I was working too hard for what pace it was.It was in this km that lace came undone. The shoe was tight enough knew it wouldnt come off yet the lace whipping my leg was a bit of an annoyance.

Next Km was into the wind and the pace reflected this with a 3.27. I wasn't too far off Timmaay and had him in my sights for the race but never seemed to make up ground needed to have an attack on him yet there was one or two who had also been spit out the back of the group who were coming back to me. It was at this stage though that congestion on the course started to become a bit of an issue. We were catching up on the back of the field and now starting to past the stragglers at the back.

3.24 for 4th km and with one to go I knew an improvement on my last 5k was not gonna happen. I was bobbing and weaving through runners here and there and knew that there was a runner on my heels (was one of the runners who I had caught off the back of the group). My effort did go up slightly in the last two hundred but to be honest I was just doing enough to hold him off and was kinda running within myself.

Watch time 17.00
    Spilts 3.20, 3.19, 3.27, 3.24, 3.29

Looking at the time at first I was not really happy with the time or the performance however since then I have had a chance to actually reflect and examine it and it is alot more optimistic for a few reasons

1) the time was 16 secs slower than rathfarnham but given the wind I looked at Timmaays times in the two races and mine and it looks like we were both roughly 15 secs slower so in fact the performance I reckon is similar to my one in rathfarnham (no wind)

2)comparing the weekly mileage I am on target for +80 week this week compared to just over 50 in build up to rathfarham

3) my 8x1k and 18 mile run monday meant that the there was alot more intensity in this weeks training also

Looking at all these factors and the fact I am in heavy HM training as of this week meant that it was actually a better performance than I initially thought.

This race is also a two parter this weekend. I found a 10k tomorrow so The idea is that I will do an easy run to flush out the legs tonight but legs still should be slightly heavy for tomorrow and run the 10k hopefully in sub 35.30. This will be target HM pace so the idea is to sustain this pace on tired legs will be good race simulation training (though if I can run a little quicker all well and good)

Official Result: 16.59 (that one second makes a big difference:D)

Saturday PM|Recovery run|4.73 miles|8.33 mile pace|40.28

Long day between the race this morning and heading to work after but knew I had to get out for this one or the race wouldnt happen in the morning. Few miles to flush out the legs so they only heavy but not sore tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great running today. The leader was slowing, I think you would have got him if you hadn't ran yesterday.

5 miles easy, 10k race, 3 miles easy

After the race yesterday this was always more a tester of endurance for the half than anything else

When gun went 3 dashed to the front and I tucked in behind. First guy looked to be a solid runner in good shape and let him off the next two I knew were gone out to hard and would pay for it however I said to myself might as well use them as a wind shield as i knew after first k you had a head wind so hopefully they could last that long.

Sadly they didnt and i pushed past with ease from here I was essentially on a TT the leader I had let get too far ahead as I was focused on hitting close to HM pace (was actually slightly quicker)

As this was a three lap race congestion was gonna be an issue:

Lap one: walkers and mammy's with the prams
    Lap 2: half jog half walk people
    Lap 3: fun runners

It was only in the last lap that it became a bit of an issue though thankfully the roads were wide enough that (for the most part) I could bob an weave through the traffic.

coming into the last lap and I was gaining on the leader so upped it slightly though not too dramatically as he was slowing i was slightly speeding up but in the end I had left too much to do in the last lap

Finishing time 34.27 (5.36 mile pace/ 3.28 km pace)

Sadly the course was slightly short and as such no PB today though given i ran the race at 34.40 pace according to the Garmin i reckon I could have hit a sub 35 if I ran the extra bit on a accurately measured course (got 9.91 on the Garmin)

Happy enough with this considering the race yesterday the strength is definitely there for a sub 75 so still on the
    cards

Edit: Legs are fairly heavy and given two races in two days I am opting out of the five miler tonight as it would be doing miles just for the sake of it so I will leave the week at that

Total Weekly Mileage 74.36

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

2 great results back to back. Well done.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great running today. The leader was slowing, I think you would have got him if you hadn't ran yesterday.

Possibly or even been a bit more aggressive in my first lap but can't get hung up on if's and but's. All in all happy with the days performance (and even profitable as the second place more than covered my entry fee:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Wow...two good races back to back- I'd say these will be perfect training for your HM effort- takes good strength to run races two days in a row!

drquirky wrote: »
    Wow...two good races back to back- I'd say these will be perfect training for your HM effort- takes good strength to run races two days in a row!

Originally I was looking for a race this weekend and didnt know about the 10k it was only after i signed up to the race on Saturday that I found out about it. 10k suited my schedule better but as I had already signed up for the 5k I decided to make the 5k benefit the overall training for the half and I am happy enough with how it went was good to run the 10k on heavy legs it simulated the HM perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

great running E.Coli Inspiring stuff!

Monday|Recovery run|5.17 miles|8.17 mile pace|42.49

Down to Vinny on my lunch break for a rub. After the weekend I said that probably best just to have the once over make sure i didnt pick up any niggles which would affect training over the next 6 weeks.

When I finished work however it was a struggle to get motivated for the run. I was working after each race at the weekend so I was pretty wiped and wanted nothing better than to just chill for the night. The weather didnt help either. Its one thing to head out on an easy run in the weather or a session but recovery runs where aim is to slow you down as much as possible just made this run harder. Held off till later that night and thankfully by 9.30 it had stopped. The run was very much make up the loop as I went along due to roads being impassable due to flooding so had to double back a few times and find new routes

Tuesday|Easy run|4.68 miles|6.57 mile pace|32.36

This was an enjoyable run. It was the first run since last Thursday which hasn't been race pace or recovery so it was nice to have a change of pace to something in between. Felt really good on it the racing at the weekend prob got the body so used to paced running that this was slightly faster than my normal easy run still the effort was easy enough to loosen out the legs for session tonight

Tuesday PM|Session|10.2 miles||

Session 3 miles easy, 2x5k @ AT w/3 min rec, 1 mile easy

Splits

1st 5k: 17.51 (3.35, 3.34, 3.34, 3.37, 3.30)

2nd 5k: 17.56 (3.36, 3.35, 3.33, 3.35, 3.33)

Down to the club for this one tonight met menoscemo for the warm up. Doing these on track provides a little mental challenge also though the track was unusually busy tonight so a little bit of running in lane two.

Happy with how this session went felt quite controlled. The pace was a tiny bit slow (5-10 secs per 5k slower than target) but to be honest I am not too worried by this as the benefit was got from the session

Cooldown was cut short due to time constraints so just did a mile on the track with menoscemo after

Wednesday|Steady Run| 7.15 miles|6.42 mile pace|47.55

Didnt feel great heading out on this but i think the legs are just starting to feel the high mileage so was more sluggish than anything. Mp3 was dead so this this run I was stuck with the sounds of Nature (or atleast as close as you get in Tymon Park / Tallaght). It used to be that running with music i got carried away with the pace from time to time so the fact I have been running with music the last while I was expecting this to be slightly slower. I guess recently I have tended to hit more auto pilot on these runs and done at decent pace. Tonight I was tuned in and ended up being slightly faster than I would have liked though never felt like I was pushing it the pace was coming naturally

Wednesday|Easy Run + Speed development work| 11 (7+4)miles|7.24 mile pace|51.28

Speed development session:7 miles easy + 3x (5x150m off 250m light jog rec) 400 light jog between sets

Splits: (21,21,22,22,22) (21,22,22,22,22) (21,21,22,22,21)

Was down at the club for this one and was asked to show some guy who was looking to use the facilities around at first I didn't recognise him but after hearing the name i knew exactly who he was (a 31.30 10k man) showed him the are for his warm up for the session so the first two miles were very slow (7.40+ pace) after this pace dropped to normal and averaged off. I dunno whether it was the fact i knew I had the speed stuff after or what but i felt like i was straining on the leash to run faster but resisted the temptation

After this was the speed development work. Speed is something i definitely want to address next year and as such I want to keep in touch with high end speed right through the half training every few weeks. This session was perfect the recoveries are long enough that I wasn't getting large lactate build up but at the same time I was firing up the fast twitch fibres. The aim of these was target 800m pace and 22 was that pace so happy enough with how the session went was never straining

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Watching you tonight and last Tuesday, you definitely need a training group or partner.
    You looked superb form wise doing your 150s.

Advertisement