Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Woddle wrote: »
    Watching you tonight and last Tuesday, you definitely need a training group or partner.
    You looked superb form wise doing your 150s.

Chatting to that 10k runner I met last night I think we gonna arrange easy runs. May even try to hop in on his sessions if they fit with my plan (obviously trying to adjust the paces)

Other than that most my training between odd work hours etc I am used to training on my own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

2 questions about Waterford half

1) What's your time goal. May need to alter my training ;)

2) Most importantly, are you staying down in Waterford Saturday night? Thinking of arranging pints and was going to do it in Waterford initially but thinking of heading home after race and hitting somewhere local instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

2) Most importantly, are you staying down in Waterford Saturday night? Thinking of arranging pints and was going to do it in Waterford initially but thinking of heading home after race and hitting somewhere local instead!

There is an Idea afloat to organise the Boards A/R/T christmas night out in dublin the night of the wateford half....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

menoscemo wrote: »
    There is an Idea afloat to organise the Boards A/R/T christmas night out in dublin the night of the wateford half....

I second this, and suggest L.Mulligan, Grocer in Stoneybatter. Loads of lovely craft beers :D

I second this, and suggest L.Mulligan, Grocer in Stoneybatter. Loads of lovely craft beers :D

Craft beers for crafty runners :)

• Advertisement

2 questions about Waterford half

1) What's your time goal. May need to alter my training ;)

Only seeing this last few days have been less than ideal:o

Time wise sub 75 is the target. If you are around for a few sessions I reckon we could try sort something over the next few weeks seeing as goal is the same

In terms of post race hydration I was in a good position that I have alot of holiday time that has to be used up in the next while so I have the Wednesday to the Wednesday off and as such am flexible for either Waterford or Dublin as the Venue.

In terms of craft brews love the way people think dont mind where we go (though I do have a fondness for the Porter house on Parlament St. though as long as there is a good selection I am as happy as a pig in $h!t

Back to training

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Friday|Easy Run|7.10 miles |7.05 mile pace|51.39
    Saturday| Hill Session|10.3 ||
    Sunday|Off| ||
    Monday|Easy Run|6.79 miles |7.24 mile pace|49.28
    Tuesday|Easy Run|5.55 miles |7.14 mile pace|38.10

Session: 3.5 miles easy, 8x90 sec hills (0.2 miles) 2.30 min jog down rec, 3.5 miles easy

Solid effort on these into a stiff enough headwind

Mileage has been down a bit the last few days with a little niggle in the glute and back tightness (excuses, lack of motivation has been a bit of an influence to)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

ecoli wrote: »
    Mileage has been down a bit the last few days with a little niggle in the glute and back tightness (excuses, lack of motivation has been a bit of an influence to)

If your looking for motivation, how about a tenner says you don't beat TRR with a 90 second headstart in Waterford? :)

If your looking for motivation, how about a tenner says you don't beat TRR with a 90 second headstart in Waterford? :)

Ah I was just having a few days where tiredness etc was getting to me Head is screwed on enough not to let it slipp with only 4 weeks solid training after this one for Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

who was it ???:confused:

• Advertisement

who was it ???:confused:

What?

After a less than ideal week I finally snapped out of it and got back on track this weekend after a few days off

Saturday AM|Easy Run|6.02 miles |7.17 mile pace|43.54
    Saturday PM|Easy Run|9.59 miles |6.59 mile pace| 1.06.58
    Sunday|Progression Run|18.00 miles |6.50 mile pace|2.03.04

Progression
    5 miles @ 7.30 pace
    5 miles @ 7.00 pace
    5 miles @ 6.30 pace
    3 miles @ 6.02 pace

Seeing as I hadnt done any sessions this week i decided to change the long run into one and kinda wing it so I thought a progression would be a good option as it could be combined into a long run.
    This was a solid session and was happy enough with how it went. The first mile or so in every segment was a bit of a shock to the system but after that i got into a nice rhythm and they werent too bad. The easiest segment was actually the 6.30 pace I felt very relaxed and in control. Even the 6 min paced segments werent too bad and was never forcing they pace so I was happy enough with the strength I showed. The fact that I had a few days off this week though means Ill probably feel this one tomorrow but have a recovery day (just out of weekly schedule not because i need it so much after last week) Hopefully the missed days dont come back and bit me in the a$$ but I dont intend on missing a day between now and the Half so praying it was far enough away from the race that I dont live to regret it.

On a scary note when I finished looked at the time 18 miles covered in 2.03.04. After seeing NY marathon today it got me thinking about G Mutai (race winner). In Boston if he had given me a 8.2 mile head start in that he still would have beaten me by two seconds. Pretty scary thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Not quite as good as Mutai but still a great session! Last 8 miles are savage, finishing the last few miles faster than marathon pace must be a real confidence booster.

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Not quite as good as Mutai but still a great session! Last 8 miles are savage, finishing the last few miles faster than marathon pace must be a real confidence booster.

It would be if I was running a marathon however I still need to get 17 secs per mile to hit my HM target:D

All in all though I am happy with the session as I felt I could have hit the 5 @ 6 min pace without too much difficultly which is a sign that I am strong however the few days off meant I was rested so can cloud this a bit so just need to keep the head down the next few weeks and should start to get an indicator though all the signs are there for a PB its just a case of whether there enough to hit my target:p

After a less than ideal week I finally snapped out of it and got back on track this weekend after a few days off

Saturday AM|Easy Run|6.02 miles |7.17 mile pace|43.54
    Saturday PM|Easy Run|9.59 miles |6.59 mile pace| 1.06.58
    Sunday|Progression Run|18.00 miles |6.50 mile pace|2.03.04

Progression
    5 miles @ 7.30 pace
    5 miles @ 7.00 pace
    5 miles @ 6.30 pace
    3 miles @ 6.02 pace

Seeing as I hadnt done any sessions this week i decided to change the long run into one and kinda wing it so I thought a progression would be a good option as it could be combined into a long run.
    This was a solid session and was happy enough with how it went. The first mile or so in every segment was a bit of a shock to the system but after that i got into a nice rhythm and they werent too bad. The easiest segment was actually the 6.30 pace I felt very relaxed and in control. Even the 6 min paced segments werent too bad and was never forcing they pace so I was happy enough with the strength I showed. The fact that I had a few days off this week though means Ill probably feel this one tomorrow but have a recovery day (just out of weekly schedule not because i need it so much after last week) Hopefully the missed days dont come back and bit me in the a$$ but I dont intend on missing a day between now and the Half so praying it was far enough away from the race that I dont live to regret it.

On a scary note when I finished looked at the time 18 miles covered in 2.03.04. After seeing NY marathon today it got me thinking about G Mutai (race winner). In Boston if he had given me a 8.2 mile head start in that he still would have beaten me by two seconds. Pretty scary thought

Feck, chill out don't overdo the training. Don't want to peak too soon. Take another few days off :pac::pac:

Feck, chill out don't overdo the training. Don't want to peak too soon. Take another few days off :pac::pac:

Just because you want an easy win will make me train all the harder:D

Just because you want an easy win will make me train all the harder:D

Seriously though I'd hate to see you over train and blow up ;)

Seriously though I'd hate to see you over train and blow up ;)

Just remember Thurs is a Tempo not a race so if I am beating you ya dont have to try sprint by me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Just remember Thurs is a Tempo not a race so if I am beating you ya dont have to try sprint by me ;)

Think you guys need to head down to the track and have this out some day.....

Monday|Recovery Run|5 miles |8.00 mile pace|40.01

As expected the legs were little stiff today

• Advertisement

Tuesday AM|Easy Run|7.64 miles |7.18 mile pace|55.47

Day off today so I said I would make use of it with a solid double. Met Thirstywork2 for easy run around Tymon this morning. Ended up doing slightly more than I had planned but it will stand to me:D. Good to have company and to stretch the legs for session tonight

Tuesday PM|Session|11 miles ||

Session: 3.1 miles easy, 20x400m off 30 sec recovery, 3.1 miles easy

Splits:
    79, 77, 75, 78, 77, 78, 78, 78, 79, 77
    76, 76, 75, 77, 77, 77, 77, 76, 77, 76

Extremely happy with how this session went was running very strong without killing myself and it is the fastest I have been in this session in a very long time and the fact that I am down to 30 sec recovery (expect after rep 3 had few extra secs fiddling with my headphones) shows that there is definitely improvement even in recent weeks

Splits from the last time i did this session (only did 18)

79, 78, 78, 78, 76, 79, 78, 78, 77, 77, 78, 76, 77, 77, 77, 76, 77, 79

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good stuff, you were looking very fast tonight. I still don't understand how you get away with hogging lane 1 though ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good stuff, you were looking very fast tonight. I still don't understand how you get away with hogging lane 1 though ;)

You notice Tony not down? I did:D

Have to make sure you're not ahead of me so :)

Wednesday|Easy run|6.10 miles |7.04 mile pace|43.08

Woke up today not feeling good at all. Yesterday I resumed core work for the first time in months after I was reminded I had neglected this for quite some time when someone brought this up the other day when chatting about training. As such today the body felt it. Didnt help that I also woke up with one of my glands quite swollen and sore. Thankfully today was an easy day so wrapped up well and headed out. Had the luxury of cutting this run a little short to as counting up my miles for the week I needed to cut back a small bit on one or two of the days to make sure i wasnt overdoing it as I would have been up around the 90+ bracket which is a big jump after last weeks low mileage better off not ramping up too quickly

Thursday|Tempo run|10.4 miles ||

tempo session: 3.08 miles easy, 4.32 miles tempo, 3 miles easy

Splits: 4.32 miles in 24.58 (5.46 mile pace)

5.40, 5.34, 5.36, 6.05* (uphill)

Met with TheRoadRunner for this one. Good to have some company on session for this one. First few were a little quicker than should have been on the climb was starting to work harder than I should have been. Coming up to four mile I knew that I was working too hard to get the benefits from this session. tRR managed to motivate me to keep going after the 4 mile point however this was short lived and soon ended up stopping for a min and then going back to easy pace. Still managed to get 25 min worth of tempo though so wouldnt call it a failed session. Few days now till my next which gives me a bit of a chance to shake what ever have as the swollen glad is still there

Friday AM|Steady run|4 miles |6.35 mile pace| 26.23

Was supposed to double yesterday but as I had been trying to shake that swollen gland and make sure it didnt progress any further decided to play it safe and push it back so spent yesterday dosing myself with herbal teas and honey and seems to have done the job. Woke up this morning and seem to be over it. Having said that the thoughts of getting a run in before work were a struggle. Alarm went off to give me plenty of time but motivation to get out was not there until all of a sudden came like a wave. jumped out of the bed and was out the door before i knew where I was. Pace was healthy but wasn't forcing it or pushing it ever which i suppose is a good sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Would it not be best to take a full rest day or two if you have a swollen gland??
    Maybe im just being soft in my old age :)

• Advertisement

Would it not be best to take a full rest day or two if you have a swollen gland??
    Maybe im just being soft in my old age :)

I had one swollen one but it hadn't set in to sickness if you get me. Took it handy Wednesday. Admittedly probably best to play it even safer but it worked out grand as I am back 100% now. Usually I have a fair idea whether pushing myself a bit more is going to lead to me getting worse or staying the same and to me just seems like the lymph nodes were fighting infection as opposed to me actually being sick if that makes any sense

Advertisement