Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Friday PM|Steady run|5.22 miles |6.42 mile pace| 34.59

After work was ended up heading into town for the match. Brought the car as an excuse to stay off the gargle (plan to go six weeks off it in build up to Waterford) Straight home after and straight out for legs were feeling grand unfortunately the couple of pints of Erdinger (N/A of course) were sitting in the stomach and at 4 and a half miles stitch came into play. Fought it for as long as I could but ended up having to stop .8 miles short of the planned 6

Saturday|Easy run|10.81 miles |7.46 mile pace| 1.24.07

Out this evening with cwgatling took it fairly handy as I have had a fairly hard week and he is still recovering from DCM. Met one of the lads from the club after about 7 miles also so spoiled for company this week having company on 3/6 days this week which is a record in terms of the last 12 months nearly haha

Sunday|Long run|18.00 miles |7.08 mile pace| 2.08.39

Out this morning with TheRoadRunner. plan was to throw in 3x5k up pace which was probably a bit ambitious considering it was 4th session in 7 days. There was a strong headwind in the first one after 5 mile. first 5k split was 6.25 pace which was grand as there was a bit of a climb. 3 min @ easy pace and went again however this one was only 1.18 miles climbing a biatch of a hill up by Dundrum shopping centre into the wind but was working far to hard so reluctantly knocked session on the head. Think tRR's mind will be put at ease for waterford considering pulled up short on last two sessions with him this week:D After this was cut back to an easy pace though was tough by the end. I think the mileage in the legs is starting to take its toll as the are fairly heavy last few days

Total mileage 78.17 miles for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Thats some mileage for 1 week Ecoli, savage! There'll be no problem with your endurance for the half anyway..

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Thats some mileage for 1 week Ecoli, savage! There'll be no problem with your endurance for the half anyway..

Any time I am training for a distance I always want the endurance to be an after thought and this has been the same. I am happy I have been running alot of 70-80 mile weeks this autumn and I reckon that I should have enough to hit the target however the odd session cut short etc can always play on the mind. Guess we will see come race day

• Advertisement

Monday|Recovery run|4.88 miles |8.58 mile pace| 43.49

Legs were crying out for this run in terms of heaviness from last weeks training. I know its recovery working at its finest when I can feel the blood flow increased on these recovery runs by the end legs feel strong

Tuesday AM|Easy run|5.57 miles |7.11 mile pace| 40.00

Wednesday|easy run|9.1 miles |7.09 mile pace| 1.05.11

Legs seem to have got their spring back as had been feeling fairly flat for most part of the last week. Calves a little heavy but down to Vinny in a bit and hopefully that should sort them with a massage leaving me good for tomorrow's session which is one of the key sessions in the whole build up of the HM training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

you're flying lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

what's the session and what time you doing it at?

• Advertisement

Thursday AM|easy run|3.84 miles |6.40 mile pace| 25.37
    Thursday PM|Session|11 miles ||

Friday|easy run|9.28 miles |7.15 mile pace| 1.07.17

Session 3 miles easy, 5k, 3 min rec, 2k, 2 min rec, 800, 90 sec rep, 400, 1 min rec, 400, 3 miles easy

Splits
    5k 17.52 (3.32, 3.34, 3.34, 3.38, 3.32)
    2k 7.17 (3.37, 3.39)
    800m: 2.43
    400s: 78, 79

This session was knocked on the head early on. The plan had been 3 x 5k @ HM and this was supposed to be a key indicator for the Half. The session itself is as much for mental benefit as it is physical though I knew from my morning run the wind was gonna be a killer. Decided last min to do a progression style session instead as I was simply working too hard into the wind to get the right benefits from it even though I hit the first rep pretty much on target time (this was evident in the fact that the second one even though felt about the same effort was much slower). Not the worst session but again not to plan so I will give it another go next week as I have one session where I was still not fully decided on what session to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

Are you self coached Ecoli or is this a training programme designed by someone in your club?

Good luck with the half, Im sure you will beat roadrunner anyway.

Are you self coached Ecoli or is this a training programme designed by someone in your club?

Up until recently I was coached however due to their own personal circumstances we had to part ways for a few months but I do hope to go back to the arrangement in the next 6 months when things have settled again.

In the mean time I am training myself between a hybrid of their training approach which was very effective in my improvement over the last year and the elements of training which worked when I was training for the last half

The rivalry between myself and tRR is only a bit of banter and gives me a visual target in terms of similar targets

Saturday|Session|13 miles ||

Session: 3.1 miles easy, 6x1 mile jog 2 min rec, 2.66 miles easy

Splits: 5.32, 5.31, 5.33, 5.31, 5.29, 5.29
    Total mileage (including recoveries) 7.21 miles in 43.14 (5.59 pace)

Club was closed this morning so these were to be out on the road. Felt controlled on the first 2 but then started to have to work by the last one I was working hard but at the same time feeling strong which is the exact type of feeling I would want from this type of session. Delighted with how it went especially as my last few sessions haven't been according to plan

Sunday|Long Run|17.73 miles |7.09 mile pace|2.06.53

Tipping along handy enough for the first 11 miles or so of this with one of the lads from the club at roughly 7.20 pace though once he left after eleven the legs opened up a bit and dropped to sub seven pace, nothing drastic and was still comfortable and easy. Happy enough with this all in all a solid week training

Total weekly mileage: 76

Monday|Recovery Run|5 miles |8.58 mile pace|44.51

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Seriously Woodie you need to get over me. This online obsession with me can't be good for you. Constantly PMing me love poems and posting about me on boards :eek::eek:
    ecoli wrote: »
    The rivalry between myself and tRR is only a bit of banter and gives me a visual target in terms of similar targets

No its not, you bollix :D

Tuesday|Session|10 miles ||

Session: 3.3 miles warm up, 3x5k @ HMP w/ 4 min recovery*

Splits:

17.54 (3.35, 3.33, 3.35, 3.38*, 3.31)
    17.59 (3.36, 3.36, 3.36, 3.35 , 3.35)
    3.37*

This session was a bit of a mixed bag. In terms of the pace this was not a problem and felt relaxed and hitting the times without too much difficulty (the 3.38 was because I got pushed into lane 2 due to middle distance group coming by me on there 400 rep which had avoided bar this time.

In the second rep start to get a bit of a twinge in the hamstring. Was getting a little sore but I thought that if I could get to the end of the rep I could stretch it out would be fine. Unfortunately stretching didnt help too much. Started the rep and initially there was a little relief once I got going however this was short lived and rather than risk doing serious damage I gave in and decided to play it smart.

Though I didnt finish the session I got the mental confidence I was looking from this session so I am confident the sub 75 is within my capabilities if things go right on the day now all I have to worry about is shaking this niggle and prayin it nothing too serious so RICE on it tonight and booked in with Vinny on Thursday so if it hasn't been shaken will get him to get to the bottom of this.

This has a bit of de ja vu about it as the last time I was preparing for the half about three weeks before I had a calf tear and ended up not affecting the race so hopefully this will be the same and I will be grand in the morning (hopefully:()

Way too lazy with this over the last week (plus week off work meaning I avoided computers for the most part) So time to update

Wednesday|Easy Run|10 miles |7.25 mile pace|1.14.12

Woke up at 4.50am as had agreed to meet with theboyblunder. Hammy still at me a bit so had considered rolling back over in bed however managed to get out of bed and once I did was wide awake. Once got into the run was grand the Hammy even loosened out a bit. Forgot Garmin so had no idea what pace we were going at but was handy enough. on the way back with bout a mile to go however leg tightened a good bit. Finished the run but my stride was severely hampered

Thursday|REST| ||

Down to Vinny t get the hamstring checked out. Decided to play it smart and not to run before and wait on his okay to run. Confirmed I had a hamstring strain so thankfully nothing too major. Was probably the sorest rub I have got from him however and the tightness was evident in the hamstrings so alot of work needed. The fact that he went fairly deep on the muscles he advised me to give the run a miss. So close to the race I decided best to play it safe

Friday|Easy Run|8.07 miles |7.20 mile pace|59.15

Feeling very relaxed on this one decided to keep things nice and handy for a few days just to make sure I dont do something stupid

Saturday|Easy Run|6.06 miles |7.13 mile pace|43.42

Even though the body still had aches and pains was suprised just how easy this felt. Could just be down to the fact that I have had a relatively mild week in terms of training load

Sunday|REST| ||

Another day off just to shake these aches and pains once and for all so spent a good bit of time stretching

Monday|Moderate Run|4.43 miles |6.31 mile pace|28.56

As I had yesterday off and was starting to feel myself again decided to add a run with a little bit of pace but kept it short so as not to overdo it. Felt quite relaxed and fresh on this one

Tuesday|Recovery Run + 6x100m strides|4.86 miles |8.03 mile pace|39.09

Nice and relaxed run tonight as I have a tune up race tomorrow just to boost the fitness levels one last bit before the half. NOt looking for time but I would like to have a nice confidence booster provided the wind which has been around the last two days eases off. If there is wind like that come Waterford I can kiss a PB goodbye

waking up this morning I knew with the wind out there this was not gonna be a race for time which was perfect. The aim of tonight's race was one last hard effort just to boost the fitness before Waterford and being 10 days out I knew I would get the benefit from it come race day.

Being so used to the Raheny 5 etc I had it in my head that the club house was opposite the GAA club at Cara Hall however I was wrong so after a good bit of looking around (and a sneaky call to one of the lads who runs for them) I got to the club house to sign in but being lat meant a one mile warm up and short stretch

First mile went out and tucked in behind Mick Traynor for a bit which slightly helped into the wind however this was short lived and I knew I didnt have the 5k sharpness to stay for him. First mile was 5.17 happy enough but now came the hard part Mick had left me for dead so I was now on my own for the second lap fighting into the wind. Had a car come down towards me on opposite side of the road which was grand until the thick B!atch decided she was gonna dart for a parking spot and shot across the road making me have to jump out of the way and up on the curb. Frustrated by this I looked at the watch and the wind was taking its toll on the pace. Second mile 5.40.

Just after this two lads came shooting by me but could respond to tuck in behind them. Despite the wind I was feeling strong though didnt have extra gear to push the pace (or perhaps just got comfortable in the pace) another guy went by and kinda let him go but copped on and started to reel him back in crossing the line in 16.39

Splits

All in all happy enough with it though hard to judge exactly where I am at off a 3 miler yet I still was feeling strong as an ox so Hopefully the sub par time was just down to wind and lack of specific 5k work as I have not really ran a decent five k this winter but have shown the strength in sessions and longer races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

All in all, theyre still very solid splits. The first perhaps a little on the quick side which probably didnt help for the next 2 miles. But still 2 miles within the 5 40ish bracket is deffo far from blowing up! It'll serve you well as a tune up, thats for sure.

smmoore79 wrote: »
    All in all, theyre still very solid splits. The first perhaps a little on the quick side which probably didnt help for the next 2 miles. But still 2 miles within the 5 40ish bracket is deffo far from blowing up! It'll serve you well as a tune up, thats for sure.

I went out hard to try and use Mick as a shield from the wind which is why it was probably a bit quicker also as was behind him for a good bit of the first lap which was running into the wind. End of the day prefer to have a sub par race here and run well in waterford than the other way around:D

Thursday|Easy Run|6.08 miles |6.47 mile pace|41.21

This seems to be the theme of this weeks training. Mileage has dropped though intensity has been kept up. The drop in mileage has me fresh and feeling very very comfortable at the slightly quicker than usual easy pace. Almost feel guilty with the mileage drop though I know its the right thing to do between now and race day next Sat.

Friday|Easy Run|6.11 miles |6.45 mile pace|41.16

Another windy day another creeping doubt about the weather next week will be PB friendly. I know I am in PB shape and feeling as strong as an ox but after building a very solid base over the last few months it would be nice to validate the shape I am in with a PB before moving to shorter sharper work.

Saturay AM|Easy Run|3.5 miles |6.46 mile pace|23.42

Just a few miles to loosen out the legs before work to get ready for session tonight. Felt very easy on these and even had to let up a bit to curb the pace. This is exactly where I wanna be right now straining at the leash to get racing just hope all this freshness continues on to this time next week and hopefully the wind is favorable (although today wasn't drastic but still heavy enough)

Sunday |Tempo Session|11.86 miles |6.46 mile pace|1.20.19

Session: 2.16 miles easy, 6x1 mile @ HM effort with 90 sec jog recovery, 2.74 miles easy

Splits 5.52, 5.49, 5.43, 5.48, 5.49, 5.48

This session was supposed to be done last night after work however after bit of an emergency call didnt get home till well after mid night so a session was out of the question so pushed it to today and the fact that it was all continuous running it acted as my long run for the week also being in taper mode it was just about getting the amount of time on feet I would be for next weeks race as I haven't had it all week

Health wind tonight meant I knew not to chase HM splits but rather stick to the effort levels as no matter which direction i headed on my run there always seemed to be a part of the reps heading straight into the wind or a hill or both bar rep number 3 as you can probably tell:D

Very happy with this session it was very controlled and was not pushing it which is where I want to be for next week even though I was not on the splits I need to be hitting next week I was not too far off given the wind Ill take it no bother

Now all I have to do is pray for the weather gods to be kind as I have done all I can at this point :p

Monday|Easy Run|8.26 miles |7.16 mile pace|1.00.00

Met up with Thirstywork for this one just a nice little trot around to keep the legs awake. Mini session tomorrow and then shut down for Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ELFOYZER

All the very best for Saturday. Dont want to jinx it but its looking like cold but favourable conditions on Saturday. For insurance I will put the child of prague in the window on Saturday morning for luck for ya. ;-)
    Leave nothing out there dude.

ELFOYZER wrote: »
    All the very best for Saturday. Dont want to jinx it but its looking like cold but favourable conditions on Saturday. For insurance I will put the child of prague in the window on Saturday morning for luck for ya. ;-)
    Leave nothing out there dude.

Been looking at wind reports every day since Friday on the same site and wind speed and directions have fluctuated immensely so hard to judge still just will worry about the factors I can control:D

Cheers man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Best fo luck Sat man.

Advertisement