Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Tuesday|Taper Session|5 miles ||

Session: 2 mile warm up, 2 mile @ HMP, 3 min rec, 4x 30 sec steady (10k pace), 1 mile cooldown

Splits: 11.25 (5.42, 5.43)

This session was supposed to be done on the track just to help keep the effort perfect along with the splits for most mental and physical benefit from this session (physical as not to push to hit pace with elevation an wind). Only problem is when i got to the track that I realised they were doing work on the infield and as such 300 was the most could be done on the track. Didnt affect too many others but for me it meant I was pushed out n the roads, not ideal but didnt bother me too much. The efforts themselves were very comfortable and it was more a case of getting the legs used to the pace rather than actually being physically challenged in this session. With this last little light session time to shut down for the next few days and just do enough to keep the legs awake between now and then

Wednesday|Easy Run|6.51 miles |7.43 mile pace|50.19

Met up with Thirstywork2 again tonight and just trotted along nothing too major. When I booked the next few days off work to rest up for waterford I thought it would be a good idea but starting to go a little crazy (well moreso than usual:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Best of luck ecoli. Hope the wind plays ball

Thursday|Rest|||

Nothing planned for today just up to Vinny for a rub. Thankfully he was positive in how the body was feeling. The Drop in mileage over the last two weeks and getting back into my stretching routine had me nice and loose when I went to him so he was just Ironing out any of the kinks

Friday|Shakeout Run + strides|3 miles |9.27 mile pace|28.21

Usually on my recovery runs they breath life back into the legs after some heavy training though not really today, probably been down to the legs not being tired out this week. I am straining at the leash feeling good and the wind seemed to have died down a good bit today was manageable so hopefully can get a day like today or even better for tomorrow and will be perfect. Raring to go at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck ecoli. Hope everything lines up tomorrow for a cracking result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

good luck in the half....

The background to this race was that this was my second ever half to race. My first was 2 years ago when I was training myself and ran 77.06 out in Spain. Since then I had been with a coach and improved my times significantly especially over 10k. In September my coach and I parted ways due to logistical and time issues. He had me focusing on the shorter distances before stepping back up to halves and marathons. Since my split I decided about 8 weeks ago to run this race as training had been going well and I was very strong. This was gonna be a short term target during my strength building phase over the winter.

Training had been going pretty well bar the odd slip up so was full of confidence going into this. Had tapered up pretty well this week and waking up today was delighted to see that conditions were ideal. The wind which I had been dreading for the last two weeks had died down.

Got down in plenty of time however was trying to hold the warm up till the last min. Given it was a half I wanted to keep the warm up much shorter than my usual. We got ushered down to start and here i got changed down into shorts and singlet but now the masses had starting to gather so I was gonna have to try push my way up nearer the front as I was down by the 2hr pacers. Next thing people started jogging and I was thinking "perfect we jogging down to the start now I will be able to get to the up the field". It was at this point saw one of the lads who came down in car with me today. He turns and goes what you doing back down here? I told him we were just jogging down to the start and he was like no I am pretty sure the race has started. At first I didnt believe him till I heard saw a lead group had already broke off way up in the distance. I had spent the first three hundred trotting along (in what I later found out was 90 secs:eek::eek::eek:)

Hit the Garmin and took off up the field and my race begun (only 300m after everyone else:rolleyes:) I had made the rookie mistake of panicking and taking off like a hare running close to 5.20 pace (way too quick). As went up the field heard a puzzled BriandeRunner as I passed him. Managed the first mile in 5.58 but damage was done 75 was off the cards but hopefully PB still on the cards. As I had missed the start I had missed the first 300 on the garmin so would have my exact time till the finish so was just going mile by mile. After the first mile I passed the leading lady meant I was in around where I should be. There was a nice group up ahead who looked to be on for about 75-76 so I thought if I could start to reel them in a bit would make things a bit easier.

Next two miles were flat. Had a rathfarnham guy on my shoulder who was looking like making me do the work i didnt mind though. Next two miles were where I should have been 5.43, 5.44 at this stage we hit a drag and time suffered a bit, 5.52, then drag started to turn to a minor incline and rathfarnham guy started to pull away. I was not running great this point the inclines were hurting the time (6.05 mile). Then turned off to a minor road and the first hill. Alot worse than people were making out before was now thinking this course not as fast as everyone makes out. Maybe it was the frustration of the start or whatever but I was in a very bad place. Next two miles were 6.12,6.14. At this stage my heart sank I would struggle to break 1.20. Creeping doubts were coming into my mind and I was considering dropping out.

Two things happened at this point which saved my race somewhat. First was lead lady passed me (this helped cop me on) the next was a downhill back to the main road. This showed in the pace 5.43 for mile 8. At this point race turned around and got some mental strength so began to push on. The next mile was a climb but I worked hard up it. (6.10) from here there was a slight downhill for next few miles and I worked hard though the pace was not exactly amazing (whether I was suffering as a result of the first mile or just not running well but 5.58, 5.54, 6.02. At this stage I was down to the last while and feeling strong enough. The foot had numbed up in the last few miles (I presume lace to tight)

Coming into the stadium I heard the the lead lady (who had again passed me about mile 10 but couldn't go with her) being announced with her time 77.24 (or there abouts) my heart sank. I knew I was outside the PB but hearing that made it real now. Pushed hard the last two hundred but couldnt dip under the 78 mark finishing in a time of 78.02

Splits
    5.58, 5.43, 5.44, 5.52, 6.05, 6.12, 6.14, 5.43, 6.10, 5.58, 5.54, 6.02, 5.50, 29

All in all in disaster day but to be honest regardless of the start I think sub 75 on that course today was not on the cards. Alot of people consider this a very fast course. While its not the slowest the first half of that race between the climbs and the drags it does make this course challenging enough

So where do I go from here?
    Despite bad race today their is optimism as the training is there and I have had a successful winter in terms of building strength. From here the aim will be to transition back into speed and maybe hit a few indoor races come January

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ELFOYZER

Aw that really sucks. Id read that this was usually a very well organised race. Doesnt read like you were totally to blame for the mix up at the start. Full marks for having the kahunas to go after it and not drop out. Still a great time (by my standards) - well done. No doubt the celebratory few scoops were had later...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Hard luck on the start e.coli. You did well to tough that one out. Still great running even though i know you might be disapointed. It's definiately on sooner rather than later for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

It feels strange to be saying hard luck to someone who has just run a 78 min half but it sounds like it was just one of those days. I'm sure you will learn teh lessons and bounce back stronger.

• Advertisement

Right time to finally catch up on this as have left it for a while so here goes.........

After waterford took a full week break from unstructured training and just mentally recharged the batteries. This week involved short runs of around 15 to 20 min jogs without a garmin few xmas nights out and bit of five a side here and there and then after this started back Saturday with more structured training though still not full just yet just to keep ticking over during the xmas break

Saturday|Easy Run|4.76 miles|7 min mile pace|33.26

Sunday|Easy Run|4.73 miles|6.56 min mile pace|32.47

Monday|Rest|||

Tuesday|Steady Run|4.8 miles|6.35 min mile pace|31.36

Wednesday|Speed development|4.55 miles||

Session:
    2.75 miles easy (6.52 mile pace)
    6x approx 80m hills @ max effort (11 sec) w/ 2 min rec
    1 mile easy (6.52 mile pace)

Mileage is down at the moment because I am keeping the xmas for a bit of down time but as a result the effort on the lower mileage is a little higher than usual especially with Work being fairly busy not to mention X mas parties and festivities I am taking some down time while still trying to maintain. Feels good not worrying too much about training/diet/mileage for a week or two while still maintaining fitness somewhat

Thursday|Easy Run|7.46 miles|7.05 min mile pace|52.51

Finally broke my 5 mile duck with the longest run since Waterford. Out with TheRoadRunner this morning. Kinda funny both of us being shadows of our former selves of runs a few months back but we will get back to it. Also Met Abhainn near the start and racked up a few miles with him.Dunno if it was the hills last night or fact is was longer than I have done in a while but with a strong wind the last mile I was feeling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ecoli wrote: »
    Thursday|Easy Run|7.46 miles|7.05 min mile pace|52.51

Finally broke my 5 mile duck with the longest run since Waterford. Out with TheRoadRunner this morning. Kinda funny both of us being shadows of our former selves of runs a few months back but we will get back to it. Also Met Abhainn near the start and racked up a few miles with him.Dunno if it was the hills last night or fact is was longer than I have done in a while but with a strong wind the last mile I was feeling it.

How fat has The Road Runner gotten or is he just exaggerating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

menoscemo wrote: »
    How fat has The Road Runner gotten or is he just exaggerating?

As they say "he's triving well"

He'd probably say I'm a fat xxxx too :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I'm still a handsome devil. I an always loose weight :D

Friday|OFF|||

Saturday|OFF|||

Sunday|Easy Run + Goal Mile|5 miles||

Monday|Easy Run|4.8 miles|7.02 mile pace|33.28

Unfortunately no such "holiday" time from work at the moment so have been fairly up to my eyes between that and the family stuff. After a few drinks wagers started flying X mas eve in the pub between myself and the younger brother regarding the Goal mile. So woke up the morning little worse for wear but not too bad so set off with himself with a short run for a warm up down to the track. Suprisingly 7 min pace was relatively comfortable despite the few drinks the night before.

When got down to the club saw one of the younger middle distance lads and was talking of going for sub 4.45 and aim for a PB so I said I would pace him for a lap or two and see would I hold on (pending how bad the hangover was) We then took off and I immediately took the lead to give him shelter as was windy enough. Hit the first lap in 69 and was feeling alright. Next lap was similar enough. The lack of anaerobic work in a long while was beginning to catch up but none the less came through second lap in 2.18. Looked around at this point to see the kid had dropped off and was gone. Dunno whether it was a mental or a physical thing after seeing he was no where to be seen and the brother no where near our two bets (me beating him and him breaking 5) but i completely shut down at this point and hangover kicked in. Came through a km in 3.09. Legs were wobbly at this point and almost considered leaving it at 1200 but remembered the bet so had to finish and jogged in the last lap to cross the line in 5.17 with the young club runner coming in the 5.30s and the brother despite being a good man for the drink and not too sporty with a solid 5.46.

Still not back in full training but intend doing a bit more this week than the last two

Tuesday|Easy Run|10 miles|6.59 mile pace|1.09.49

This was very much a go with the flow day. Met up with TheRoadRunner in Corkagh park and he was looking to do an hour so I said I would go with that. At first we aimed to keep the pace slow but just wasn't happening run felt easy and even though we were making an active attempt to slow the run down just wasn't happening. Got to about 6 miles and I heard a "wanna make it a ten" which was grand with me. Happy enough with this run I seem to be mentally fresh again and itching to get back to full training so may end up doing a little more than originally thought this week

Wednesday|Easy Run|4.12 miles|7.45 mile pace|32.00

Short chilled run today. Was out with a 400m guy doing his "long run":D and one of the lads from the club. Training still unstructured and light at the moment until Sunday and then will start back in full training. Today did mark a bit of significance though as it was the day I broke the 3000 mile mark for the first time in a year so happy enough with that. Aim next year will be to make a stab for four:D

Thursday|Speed development|6 miles||

Session: 2.75 miles easy, 6 x approx 80m hills @ max effort, 2.75 miles easy

Friday|OFF|||

Saturday|Steady Run|4.38 miles|6.23 mile pace|28.00

Last run of the year and also last run of unstructured training as today marked three weeks since waterford and my planned "down time" normally I kinda fall off the rails around Christmas but this year I worked it so that I would have some down time and bit of a mental break so just did a few shorter runs to keep me ticking over. The reduced mileage meant that the pace of the runs were quicker than usual but it was good to get a break from being too serious with running and give the body and mind a bit of a break without compromising my fitness. Hopefully this will stand to me in making sure the hunger is there in training over the next while as I have been straining on the leash a bit this week to get back which is exactly where i want to be at the end of down time just hopefully i dont get over enthusiastic and overdo it. Next race will be in 3-4 weeks time either Raheny or am considering on the week before aswell but I will wait to see how I am running back in normal training to make that call

Wishing everyone a happy new year

Sunday |Easy Run|5 miles|6.46 mile pace|33.51

Got called into work early this morning so rather than the planned run with RoadRunner ended up having to get out for a small run this morning and will have to wait till after work to get in my longer run today. Worked out well as I left the car at home and jogged into work to avoid having the worry about checkpoints which will be everywhere today I say

• Advertisement

Monday AM |Steady Run|6.11 miles|6.37 mile pace|40.29

YTD: 11.11 miles

Seeing as it is a new year and a new training block after a bit of down time now seems like a perfect time to list a few goals for the year

Goals:
    800m 2.02
    1500m 4.15
    3k: 9.20
    5k:Sub 16
    10k: Sub 34

Mileage:4000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

ecoli wrote: »
    Seeing as it is a new year and a new training block after a bit of down time now seems like a perfect time to list a few goals for the year

Goals:
    800m 2.02
    1500m 4.15
    3k: 9.20
    5k:Sub 16
    10k: Sub 34

Mileage:4000

I'm curious, why the very high milage (77 mile per week av), for such short distances? Two runs a day?

I'm curious, why the very high milage (77 mile per week av), for such short distances? Two runs a day?

Few reasons for this. Aside from the 800 all the events are predominantly aerobic based events. 70-80 miles is not uncommon for a 1500m runner and definitely not for a 5k runner.

There are man coaches which advocate this. If you look to Lydiard who coached Snell to 800m Gold in Rome and 800/1500 gold in Tokyo the aim was to have him training for marathon conditioning until he specific phase. The idea is to have a runner strong enough to be able to kick harder than the field come the last 150-200m of a race

The coach whose principles I am basing alot of my training around this training block is a guy called Joe Rubio who is similar to Lydiard except for trying to keep in touch with speed from an early stage in his training

Here is a link to his book which may be of interest:

http://img.runningwarehouse.com/pdf/middle_distance_guide.pdf

On a personal note I have found that I am coming off my best year to date as a result of consistent higher mileage and managed to PB at 1500, 3000, up to 10000 as a result of this.

Also the higher mileage allows you to add volume to your sessions i.e more quality work. This will allow me to conduct alot more race paced work within my training and I will be hoping to carry out three sessions a week so I think the mileage is needed

Another anecdotal bit of evidence is my ex coach PB'ed in the mile shortly after he debuted in the marathon this year (4.02-4.00) and also a club mate broke 1.50 for the 800 for the first time after running higher mileage winter and his first half marathon

Yes I will be doubling many of the days rather than longer runs however I will still be doing a long run once a week

I should have asked this over on the 10 Round Numbers thread. I'm conditioned to believe marathon training=high miles, so 5k training should mean a lot less miles. Just looked at your week 7 build-up phase for the 3k-10k program, there's about 50 miles listed there. Throw in morning recovery jogs, and I can see where the high milage comes from. My mistake, I've a lot of reading to do.

I should have asked this over on the 10 Round Numbers thread. I'm conditioned to believe marathon training=high miles, so 5k training should mean a lot less miles. Just looked at your week 7 build-up phase for the 3k-10k program, there's about 50 miles listed there. Throw in morning recovery jogs, and I can see where the high milage comes from. My mistake, I've a lot of reading to do.

There are other coaches who would advocate low mileage such as some of the following and have great success

Peter Coe, Frank Horwill, James Li (Lagats coach)

There is a notion that high mileage produces long slow distance runners because when they see high mileage they assume that the majority of these miles are slow but personally I think the mileage shouldnt change too much between 1500-10k running the main difference is the emphasis of sessions. in season however this might be reduced a bit more due to the nature of the high intensity sessions a person needs to be fully fresh therefor they may need to cut out a few maintenance in order to achieve this for sessions.

I read a quote from one of the Kenyan coaches at the Atlanta
    Olympics who said there was not a real difference in the training
    between their marathoners and their 800 runners. Those who had
    the best kick ran the 800, those with the least ran the marathon.
    Everything else in their training program was surprisingly similar.

^From your pdf book linked above. I know kiwirunner was saying that there was no huge difference in training between the 800m and the marathon guys in Iten, they all ran together, and then ran some more.

^From your pdf book linked above. I know kiwirunner was saying that there was no huge difference in training between the 800m and the marathon guys in Iten, they all ran together, and then ran some more.

I think marathon marathon running has slightly changed over the last few years since its publication but in general terms yes majority of the work is the same aside from sessions in specific and race phases (Remember Kiwi runner was there in January when many of them were only beginning to transition from strength building in the winter phase to specific work for the track season in the summer_:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WObrt...ature=youtu.be

But ultimately yes I think its important that people start to learn that just because you are training for shorter events doesnt mean that you are able to train less in fact I think 800/1500 runners probably have to put in more work between mileage and supplimentary work (weights/plyometrics/drills etc)

But because these events do have an element of aerobic energy expenditure they are highly trainable i.e 90% of people can develop themselves into decent (sub 5 milers) middle distance runners with the right training and it not just something you are born with or you are not

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was chatting to a guy during the summer who used to do 100 and 200 metres and told me he'd do 70 mile weeks. :eek:

• Advertisement

I was chatting to a guy during the summer who used to do 100 and 200 metres and told me he'd do 70 mile weeks. :eek:

Would have loved to have seen his idea of marathon training:D Most the sprinters I know would struggle to hit 10-15mpw and we are talking 21-22 200m runners:D (admittedly there sessions can last anything from 2-3 hours between drills warm ups and recovery etc)

Advertisement