Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

ecoli wrote: »
    Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Thursday PM|Hybrid session|13.55 miles||

Session:
    3.12 miles easy, 4 mile tempo, 0.3 miles jog recovery,
    3 x (5 x 150m w/ 250 jog recovery) 650 jog rec between sets
    3.13 miles easy

Splits:
    Tempo: 23.39 (5.55 mile average) (5.58, 5.55, 5.51, 5.55)

150s: (20,21,21,21,22) (21,21,21,21,22) (22,22,22,22,22)

Tough session tonight the tempo itself was nice and controlled then got back to the track and it was time to do a bit of work on turnover. A quick change into the spikes and away i went. These felt good and i was getting up on the toes with good form. By the last set however the legs started to tire and i could feel that any min the calves were going to start to cramp. Thankfully this never came though I can feel these sessions are really benefit as i feel that slowly but surely I am getting that extra gear that i was look for and looking forward to coming back to racing as training can only tell you so much

WTD 51.35 miles (4/4 days)
    MTD 151.17 miles (12/12 days)
    YTD 151.17 miles (12/12 days)

Looked like a very good session. Good to put the legs through the reps while a little tired, but not tired enough to affect your form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Friday|Easy Run|9 miles|6.55 mile pace|1.02.18

First off apologies to the people i said I would run with today. Worked right through the night and as a result today was pretty much a right off as i was a complete zombie. Tried to get to sleep when i got home at half seven this morning but i was back up around 10 and then zoned in and out for a while more before i got up as there was no point because i couldnt get any proper sleep. I struggled to get out for a single let alone a double today and as such mileage will prob suffer a small bit this week

WTD 60.35 miles (5/5 days)
    MTD 160.17 miles (13/13 days)
    YTD 160.17 miles (13/13 days)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Given I often get about 3 or 4 hours sleep a night. Just coming out of a bad patch of insomnia at the moment. Whats your opinion on hard sessions after a poor nights sleep? Do you shuffle your plan, so as to get the quality session in when you're more rested?
    Or the type of run you should do if you had a poor nights sleep after a hard session?(In this case you'd probably be doing a recovery run anyway, are you just as well to rest though or shorten the recovery run?)

Obviously if you're not sleeping well for a couple of weeks on end, not getting into deep sleeps, not getting enough hours etc you're body isn't getting the chance to recover sufficiently. If I've a session planned and I've had a poor nights sleep the night before I'd be wary about going full throttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Given I often get about 3 or 4 hours sleep a night. Just coming out of a bad patch of insomnia at the moment. Whats your opinion on hard sessions after a poor nights sleep? Do you shuffle your plan, so as to get the quality session in when you're more rested?
    Or the type of run you should do if you had a poor nights sleep after a hard session?(In this case you'd probably be doing a recovery run anyway, are you just as well to rest though or shorten the recovery run?)

Obviously if you're not sleeping well for a couple of weeks on end, not getting into deep sleeps, not getting enough hours etc you're body isn't getting the chance to recover sufficiently. If I've a session planned and I've had a poor nights sleep the night before I'd be wary about going full throttle.

I'd say it depends on the sleep for the nights before, you can get away with it off 1 night's bad sleep (how often have you had less than ideal sleep the night before a race only to go out and run well).

I would be more concerned with sleep after a session rather than pre session as you should still be able to conduct the sessions but your benefits will be semi hampered by not being able to recover as much as it has a knock on effect on the following night also.

In taper before a race its always the penultimate night sleep that nearly more important that the night before a race simply because if you dont get sufficient sleep that night your body wont go into deep sleep the following night until it has caught up on the missed sleep meaning you are actually missing out on two nights of recovery as opposed to one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ecoli wrote: »
    I would be more concerned with sleep after a session rather than pre session as you should still be able to conduct the sessions but your benefits will be semi hampered by not being able to recover as much as it has a knock on effect on the following night also.

In taper before a race its always the penultimate night sleep that nearly more important that the night before a race simply because if you dont get sufficient sleep that night your body wont go into deep sleep the following night until it has caught up on the missed sleep meaning you are actually missing out on two nights of recovery as opposed to one

For a race I wouldn't mind as you've been tapering anyway so your sessions aren't as intense/long in the days coming up to it and you're more rested in general. But if I've done an evening easy, longish run, then don't sleep at all/sleep for an hour or so with a session planned for the following morning. There's no chance I can do that session properly. Even an easy run after feck all sleep can just seem counter productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

For a race I wouldn't mind as you've been tapering anyway so your sessions aren't as intense/long in the days coming up to it and you're more rested in general. But if I've done an evening easy, longish run, then don't sleep at all/sleep for an hour or so with a session planned for the following morning. There's no chance I can do that session properly. Even an easy run after feck all sleep can just seem counter productive.

You seem to be mentally weakicon10.gif

Saturday|Easy Run|4.75 miles|6.45 mile pace|32.01

Major upheaval in work today as we are moving to new premise and as such between moving files etc the commute and all that stuff it was a fairly full day however the run streak thread kept me motivated so got out for a half hour run just to keep the legs happy. Calfs weren't feeling the best mind you it was as if i was running without the orthotics (got the same burning sensation) hopefully nothing though

WTD 65.1 miles (6/6 days)
    MTD 164.92 miles (14/14 days)
    YTD 164.92 miles (14/14 days)

Sunday|LSR w/ 6 MP miles|16.01 miles|6.58 mile pace|1.51.38

Splits 10 miles @ 7.25 mile pace
    MP miles 6.13, 6.16, 6.11, 6.13, 6.14, 6.08

Met up with one of the training partners who was running ten and took it handy enough then parted ways and went to put on MP3 but headphones were broke so i was solo on this. Felt very controlled on this and never really straining. The only complaint i had was a few times the calves came close to cramping up and the last mile or so felt a weakness in the hammy. I think these are just down to body adapting to the spikes again and the high speed stuff on track. Thankfully booked in with Vinny in the morning as well as being a recovery day so should be back to normal come Tuesday. Mindset really has changed when i felt that between the lost miles yesterday and Fri felt was not an ideal week mileage wise yet i still managed to hit 80 miles

Total Weekly Mileage81.11 miles (7/7 days) (14% decrease on last week)
    MTD 180.93 miles (15/15 days)
    YTD 180.93 miles (15/15 days)

Monday AM|Recovery Run|4.76 miles|8.58 mile pace|42.40
    Monday PM|Recovery Run|4.86 miles|9.01 mile pace|43.49

Today was all about getting the legs fresh again so two recovery runs and down to Vinny for a massage. The legs needed this badly as there was a fair bit of tightness in the legs especially in the calf. I think the calf tightness was a result of the spikes on Thursday so not too worried. wont be in the spikes too often just once or twice over next odd months just to transition for the track season

WTD 9.62 miles (1/1 days)
    MTD 190.55 miles (16/16 days)
    YTD 190.55 miles (16/16 days)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

You running indoors or is it for track outdoors but getting ready early?

You running indoors or is it for track outdoors but getting ready early?

Outdoors. The aim is to keep the mileage high and continue to run road races and some longer sessions but to transition better towards the track season than I have in the past and stay in touch with speed in the legs and getting up on the toes more frequently in the earlier season. I had considered indoors but i think i wont have the speed in time to have a few decent races in indoor and dont want to rush it

Tuesday|1500m session|12.01 miles||

Session
    3.15 miles easy, drills
    1 mile jog the bends stride the straights (2x 5k, 3k, 1500m, 800m pace)
    4 x (4x300m @ 1500m pace jog 100m rec (40 secs) ) jog 400m rec (4 min)
    3.16 miles easy

Splits:
    (51, 52, 51, 52)
    (50, 52, 51, 52)
    (53, 54, 53, 52)
    (52, 51, 52, 52)

This was a tough enough session. The short recoveries within each set meant i was really working. Aim was to keep relaxed and controlled though i took this a little too literal on the third set and kinda lost the head a bit and were to relaxed but i managed to recover it as the set went on. The last set however I was feeling it and had to dig deep. All in all happy with the session. Slight twinge still in the calf but nothing too major and didn't effect the session which was more high speed so if it was gonna go then it would have tonight.

WTD 21.63 miles (2/2 days)
    MTD 202.56miles (17/17 days)
    YTD 202.56miles (17/17 days)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Good work man, consistent to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Thats a lot of 300's there, great session ;) It'll deffo stand to ya pace wise. I take it the recovery between sets was 400m and 100m between reps?

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Thats a lot of 300's there, great session ;) It'll deffo stand to ya pace wise. I take it the recovery between sets was 400m and 100m between reps?

Yep the idea is that I get 1200m of 1500m paced work off short recoveries. This has been the aim of these 1500m paced sessions for this month and previous one being similar in that i was doing 6x200m off short recoveries so was getting the same effect.

This will be a progressive process and as the months go on the total quanitity per set will increase (from 1200m to 1600m per set) and distance of reps will increase also. The idea is to get the body used to running at 1500m pace to the point where I am not struglling and my form is relaxed. This is also supplimented by two other sessions during the week which will work on speed development and strength

Wednesday AM|Easy run|5.02 miles|6.49 mile pace|34.15

This was one that I struggled to get out for. Still adapting to a longer commute to work which means I am losing an extra 45 min - 1 hour. I will look to run in some days but with sessions it will make it hard as I cant do 2 x 8-9 mile runs out and back if I plan on getting in sessions in the evenings. Just means that my training is gonna take a bit extra planning in advance

WTD 26.65 miles (3/3 days)
    MTD 207.58miles (18/18 days)
    YTD 207.58miles (18/18 days)

Wednesday PM|Easy run|8 miles|8.08 mile pace|1.05.00

Given the job has moved and I wanted to avoid the traffic after work decided I would tag along with the UCDAC group for their easy run. Good to run in a big group once in a while. Was a quiet night compared to usual with only around 10 runners out (I presume due to it being results night for the students) The pace was alot easier than there usual as a result of many of them coming back after either x mas hols or intense warm weather training camps. Probably not a bad thing given a big session tomorrow for myself

WTD 34.65 miles (3/3 days)
    MTD 215.58miles (18/18 days)
    YTD 215.58miles (18/18 days)

Thursday AM|Alternation session|12.05 miles||

Session: 2.8 miles easy, drills 6400m alternation, 3 min rec 3600m alternation, 3 miles easy

Alternations: 400m @ 5k pace, 400m @ MP etc (all continuous)

Splits:
    6400m: 23.08 (86, 83, 91, 81, 91, 81, 91, 81, 91, 81, 93, 82, 93, 80, 93, 82)

3600m: 13.12 (93, 81, 94, 80, 93, 81, 92, 81, 96)

Down on the track for this one early enough this morning with work. Strong wind meant i took a small allowance for the times and went for 81/91 rather than the initial 80/90. Initially on paper this was supposed to be a 10k straight tempo but working out the times meant that it would have been a 10k in 35.31 for a "tempo" which to me sounded way too fast so i thought it best to break this up and still cover the same distance but rather as two reps.

The hardest part of this session was the pacing. Its handy enough on normal sessions to get into a rhythm and you can get the feel of whether you are slowing or picking it up too much but when you have to change the pace every lap it makes it a bit harder. This seemed to be okay with the faster segments but where I was experiencing the trouble was slowing after for the MP segment. Problem was a had to slow enough to get the benefit from the session (i.e improving efficiency in lactate removal) without slowing too much that I was getting a recovery. Often i was finding myself down on time after 200m into the MP segments which was not idea (i think some of them were even as slow as 49) and had to pick it up a bit more in the second 200m

Come the second rep I was deliberating about doing two reps of equal distance (6400m) which would have given me close to eight miles but said to myself as long as i can hold sub 95 i will keep going however this didnt last and after a 96 i knew i was done. Even though I was not completely flat out at this stage i knew there was no point flogging a dead horse. Tough session and was an interesting one to do. A nice hard session to set me up nicely for Raheny especially as I covered 10k in 36.20 pace excluding the recovery between reps. This time last year that was just off 10k pace so shows I have come a long way

WTD 46.70 miles (4/4 days)
    MTD 227.63miles (19/19 days)
    YTD 227.63miles (19/19 days)

Thursday PM|Easy Run|7.50 miles|7.12 mile pace|54.02

Decided to test out the commute to the new offices by running home to suss out the exact distance. To try fit in the mileage as well as avoiding driving in peak traffic and wasting time stuck in car I will try s few times a week either running to or from work or even both.

The route home is a nice challenging route as its pretty much alot of gradual climbs such as Darty road and along the luas from Ballymount up past Kingswood. Didnt help this the fact that had the headwind the whole way back meaning pace was a little slower than I was working

This run did not get off to the best start as after about a mile and a half i took a tumble on a tree root coming up from the path. luckily my past life as a ninja kicked in and instinctual as soon as my hands hit the ground i proceeded into a forward roll meaning i didnt do any damage except for small bit of a sting on the palms of the hands. Other than this was pretty uneventful run

WTD 54.2 miles (4/4 days)
    MTD 235.13miles (19/19 days)
    YTD 235.13miles (19/19 days)

• Advertisement

Friday AM|Easy Run|5 miles|6.39 mile pace|33.18

Fuelin has not been great the last two days. Didnt eat enough yesterday and felt fairly hungry on run home so today even though I had food before the run I was fairly weak. Will have to get a fair bit of food into me this afternoon now before my next run. Time to pig out :D

WTD 59.2 miles (5/5 days)
    MTD 240.13miles (20/20 days)
    YTD 240.13miles (20/20 days)

Friday PM|Easy Run|7.57 miles|6.48 mile pace|51.34

Dunno if its just a mental thing but the point to point runs fly in. Maybe its the fact that there is a point to the journey (i.e heading to work tonight). Felt a bit like the lads in Boston last year on this run with it being net downhill and the wind on my back. Nice comfortable run.

WTD 66.77 miles (5/5 days)
    MTD 247.7miles (20/20 days)
    YTD 247.7miles (20/20 days)

Saturday|Easy Run|8.91 miles|7.04 mile pace|1.03.05

On the night shift last night which meant today was always gonna be a tough day to get any decent training as I had roughly 2 hours sleep in so just did a standard run with one of the lads from the club. Hell of a wind out there which absolutely cut through me like a knife. Thankfully no late shifts next week with the race

WTD 75.68 miles (6/6 days)
    MTD 256.61 miles (21/21 days)
    YTD 256.61 miles (21/21 days)

Sunday|Long Run|14.61 miles|7.05 mile pace|1.43.35

A near 12 hour sleep today meant that I missed the run with Thirstywork and the lads. probably a good thing as I was having an easy run and them boys were moving. Despite the wind the legs felt good and I was never pushing at all. Headed up towards to Waterworks for this one just to throw in a few climbs nothing too major. Legs felt good today probably because only 2 sessions this week rather than three.

Total Weekly Mileage90.29 miles(7/7 days) (11% increase on last week)
    MTD 271.22 miles (22/22 days)
    YTD 271.22 miles (22/22 days)

2 Weeks off confirmed for Warm weather training at the start of March. Have a week in Spain with one of the lads getting back to fitness with great trails and an access to track and the second week over in Monte Gordo with the UCD athletic club with great facilities and a good core group of very fast 800/1500 runners who will drag me on big time so March will be a heavy month of training topped off with a race at the end of March

Monday|Recovery Run|4.89 miles|9.01 mile pace|44.08

Lowest mileage day in the last 23 but this week is a planned step back week being fourth week but also a race week I will probably hit around 70 or so.

WTD 4.89 miles (1/1 days)
    MTD 276.11 miles (23/23 days)
    YTD 276.11 miles (23/23 days)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Hi ecoli, I have been following your log and you're getting some savage training in. What's the target for Raheny?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Hi ecoli, I have been following your log and you're getting some savage training in. What's the target for Raheny?

The main target is sub 27.41 and this is a must. Naturally this is my PB and I want to break it but that is a time that has been bugging me for quite some time, why? I have run 5 5 milers in my life and of them 3 of them I have run exactly 27.41 so its becoming a bit of a monkey on my back. Thought it is still very early in the season and I am looking to this race as a stepping stone to the season as it was last year but I feel I am in good shape to comfortably get under it anything beyond it will be a bonus

Tuesday AM|Easy Run|4.34 miles|6.55 mile pace|30.00

Down to Vinny after this one. Had a fair few area's of tightness though most of this is just to do with the faster stuff on the track which the body is adjusting to. Nothing of major concern though he is now using kinesio tape dont know if it works but seems to be a fair bit more science behind it than i used to think. I will try it anyway and see how it works can't hurt sure

Tuesday PM|Anaerobic Session|4 miles||

Session 2x (4 x 400m off 90 sec recovery) 4 min recovery between sets

Splits: (65,65,65,65) (64, 67, 72, 30*)

For this session I was out to Irishtown to meet up with a group. There were 15 other runners (14 lads and a girl) who all had better 800m PBs than me and as far as I know 1500 to so it was a session where I would be dragged along and should help me running with a group as speed is not my strong point. there were 3 off us who due to bus man getting lost arrived late to the session so we were hopping in with the rest for there second set when we were starting then it was up to us to manage on our own for the second set.

First one I tooked in at the back just to see where I would be. Was doing my best to not get chicked :D. First two hundred and I was feeling nice and relaxed and my strength started helping me in the second half. Surprised to clock 65. What was more surprising was the fact that on each rep i was feeling nice and relaxed and was pushing on in the second half keeping up with Timmaay and a few others so I was not out of my depth. The front lads were a bit ahead running low 60s but I was sitting just about mid pack and the 3rd one I was worried I had pushed on too much but I think it was just that the lads coming to the end of the session were starting to tire

Delighted with the first set and was not feeling too bad at all coming into the mid session. The next set was gonna be alot tougher as there was a sub 4 1500 guy me and another guy so didnt have anyone really to tuck in behind. Went off and tried tucking in behind and for the first two hundred I was on his shoulder which was probably not the smartest idea. He pulled away at this point and I seems to ease off a little myself which was probably a good thing because I was running way too fast if I was sticking with him (hitting around 60s for the session)

By the end of that rep I knew the lactic was starting to catch up with me. the next one was tough enough though I managed to hold it together well enough to come through in 67. It was at this point that the wheels came off though and the next one hit a 72:eek: (Normally I would be happy with this for close to 1500m pace but the way that session was going the huge drop off meant the legs were gone) At this point I was ready to forget the last rep and so was the other guy (not the sub 4 one). At this point got some encouragement from the one lad still going and he asked me and the other guy to do a 200m each to pace him through the last rep so we agreed. I took the first one and came through in 30. the thought had crossed my mind to try finish it out but it was futile as after the 30 I probably wouldnt have been able to finish in under 75 which is no use for this session and would have been just flogging a dead horse

All in all delighted with this session as its similar to the one I did 2 weeks ago and the recoveries were much shorter as well as the reps being consistently faster. Over time these should progress to the point where I will be able to carry out the 8 with no break of sets without the wheels coming off but it is still early season so it is all about progression

WTD 13.23 miles (2/2 days)
    MTD 284.45 miles (24/24 days)
    YTD 284.45 miles (24/24 days)

• Advertisement

Wednesday AM|Easy Run|6.08 miles| 6.40 mile pace|40.32

WTD 19.31 miles (3/3 days)
    MTD 290.53 miles (25/25 days)
    YTD 290.53 miles (25/25 days)

Advertisement