Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Wednesday PM|Easy Run|7.67 miles| 6.50 mile pace|52.29

Nice run home from work tonight. I am gonna try to do this out and back atleast once or twice a week just to kill two birds with one stone between training and the commute. We are in recessionary times after all. Its interesting i calculated how much I would save in petrol costs by doing leaving the car at work once a week and running home and then running back the next day and was surprised to see that it would save roughly between 300 and 500 euro a year:eek::eek:. The only problem with seeing running as the cheaper option is the fact that that doesn't cover Vinny's costs for the year with the weekly massages:rolleyes:

It helps though:D

WTD 26.98 miles (3/3 days)
    MTD 298.2 miles (25/25 days)
    YTD 298.2 miles (25/25 days)

Thursday AM|Easy Run|7.73 miles| 6.43 mile pace|52.03

Nice run into work today. Was great seeing people stuck in peak traffic and sailing by them. Because of my hours in work if I was driving I would have been caught and quickest I would have got in was 40 min so by running only took an extra twelve min and got the morning run out of the way early enough with session tonight

WTD 34.71 miles (4/4 days)
    MTD 305.93 miles (26/26 days)
    YTD 305.93 miles (26/26 days)

Thursday PM|Tune up session|9.35 miles||

Session:
    2.17 miles easy, drills, 1 mile jog bends/stride straights,
    4x200m, 2x400m, 800m, 2x400m, 4x200m all off 70 sec rec (jog 200m)
    1.68 miles easy

Splits:33, 36, 35, 36, 77, 77, 2.25, 78, 76, 37, 36, 35, 35

A light session just to get the legs moving for the race at the weekend. The idea is to keep the 200s and 400s nice and controlled and push it on the 800. Had company for this one. Wind was a bit of a nuisance especially on the 800 as the effort was there for a 2.20 but strong headwind really hampered the time. Still happy with the session and felt fairly relaxed the whole way through roll on the weekend now

WTD 44.06 miles (4/4 days)
    MTD 315.28 miles (26/26 days)
    YTD 315.28 miles (26/26 days)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

Fair play your getting in great training, what you aiming for sub 27:30? or lower?

Fair play your getting in great training, what you aiming for sub 27:30? or lower?

Thats the plan ideally I just want to PB (27.41). Its very early in the season and all about track in the summer however I am in the best shape of my life at the moment so I am confident of hitting that target other than that I am not gonna limit myself and just gonna run hard and see how it goes.

I reckon I could run anywhere from sub 27 - 27.30 on the day the way I am feeling

• Advertisement

Friday|Rest|||

Disaster day nothing went right and after work, having to find out why my account was overdrawn (airlingus charging me for a flight twice) then trying to get my money back from Air Lingus and everything I only got back into the house at 12.15 am after been gone since 8 that morning so my streak for this year came to an end. Have to regroup now and make sure that days off dont become a habit now I have one on the card for the year.

Saturday|Pre race shake out + strides|5 miles|9.15 mile pace|46.17

met up wit the boards weekend crew in the park for this one was good to have the bit of company and meet few new faces along with the old guard have to say legs feel good looking forward to tomorrow

WTD 49.06 miles (5/6 days)
    MTD 320.28 miles (27/28 days)
    YTD 320.28 miles (27/28 days)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good luck out there tomorrow dude. I reckon you're gonna crush that PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Good luck tomorrow. Anything but 27:41 :D

Good luck tomorrow. Anything but 27:41 :D

If I run that time I will never run another 5 miler in my life:p Drop me a PM tomorrow when you finish the race as I wont have access to my work mail till Tuesday morning because I am off the next two days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

ecoli wrote: »
    If I run that time I will never run another 5 miler in my life:p Drop me a PM tomorrow when you finish the race as I wont have access to my work mail till Tuesday morning because I am off the next two days

I'll text RK and Meno after i finish, they'll let you know.

• Advertisement

I'll text RK and Meno after i finish, they'll let you know.

Just PM'ed you my number to save the middle man/woman:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

How did you go?

Given the way training has been going the last month I was looking forward to this one. I knew myself that I was in PB shape but it was just a case of how much and making sure I didnt go out to hard and blowing up to point where I ruined the race.

Kinda left the warm up a bit late and as a result didnt do my usual routine. A two mile warm up and a few quick drills was about all I had time for and as a result I didnt feel as loose as I usually do going into the race however the legs had been feeling great as a result of the day off fri and the recovery miles yesterday so I didnt really mind. Lined up beside Tunguska at what we thought was near the front however do to some ninja style people hopping fences ahead of us we were soon about 7-8 rows back so a slow start was inevitable

Gun went and off we went. First 400m was very slow I was on Tunguska's shoulder and was feeling very easy. Pushed on a bit to a group of the juniors from the club who had obviously gone off way too hard and tried to tell them to ease into it but was like talking to a brick wall. At this point I think Tunguska had the same thought as me that it was a slow start as he brushed passed so I decided to follow suit. Was trying to gauge the pace. He was talking of going out at 5.15 pace so me being off him I was closer to 5.20 which was perfect for first mile (little faster than wanted for average pace but the nature of race starts). An MSB lad I have raced against came by me just before the mile mark and I knew I was in the right pace frame till I looked at the garmin at the first mile split, 5.11:eek::eek: My first thought was oh crap way too fast but the way I was feeling it was actually really nice and controlled.

In the second mile there was a group formed just up ahead of me and I was tempted to tag on to it however given the pace of the first mile I didnt push it. There was relatively no wind so I didnt mind front running a group. Had two girls tooked in behind me Ciara Durkin and someone I later heard the name Dooley being shouted at (overall 3rd and 4th in female category by the end). Felt like I had a bit of an entourage as a result with the two girls around me:D. The pace had settled down bit on this mile but I was still running well and feeling very strong. 5.24.

From here I dunno what got into me but I put in a great surge and broke away from the girls and reeled in the few stragglers from the group. Mile three was another steady enough one of 5.26. This was a tiny bit short of the mile mark as a result of me running some wide corners but when I got to it I heard someone calling out splits "16.10" at this point it hit home. 10 days before the half marathon before xmas I ran a 3 mile tune up race in 16.59 albeit in windy conditions but this showed I was on for a good time and feeling very strong

Down along the coast road and we got luck there was only a small cross wind nothing to worry about. At this stage one of the girls had come back to me and was running well so she tucked in behind me. Anyone who tried to pass me i reacted to and I think this was a result of being sharper than normal with the shorter stuff recently.

At this point turned the corner for the only real climb in the race. This was an area I was slightly worried about not because I wasnt feeling good but simply because I had went out so hard I wasn't sure if it was gonna catch up on me and i would suddenly start to feel it. I dunno if it was the right thing to do or not but at this point a guy tried to pass me and I let him and just tucked behind him and matched his pace. His pace was slightly slower than what I had been running but i figured given the hill might not be a bad idea. Mile four split was 5.29. Once climbed the top of the hill me and the female who was on my shoulder tore off and left your man for dead. I was running well and she tried to pass once or twice but I just matched the pace. Up ahead I saw the second female who we were closing on and decided to myself that I my aim would be to close that gap and allow the girls to duke it out in a sprint. Coming around to the little park that you loop around before you come to the finish. I was running well but not in top gear. Once I came around the last bend I saw that I was well inside the PB. I think this was the worst thing that could have happened to me as I didnt put in my usually balls to the wall sprint finish but still crossed the line well inside the target in a time of

Delighted with this as I ran a 20 second PB without actually emptying the tank. Slightly annoyed for not pushing myself faster but I think this was as a result of only having a PB in target and no target beyond that and as such when that was secured I didnt have to worry too much

Mile spilts
    0.11 (0.04 miles)

Nice way to start the year and hopefully plenty more to come along with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great report man and delighted for you.

Congrats also to the lads and ladies today who went 3/3 for PBs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good stuff ecoli, congrats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done, a fantastic time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

great stuff ecoli. well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Nice going boss. Very solid, and clear potential for more of the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ecoli wrote: »
    Pushed on a bit to a group of the juniors from the club who had obviously gone off way too hard and tried to tell them to ease into it but was like talking to a brick wall.

Saw a couple of Tallaght juniors step off the road around half way through, looked like they'd gone out too hard all right. Think at least one of them passed me out later on though.
    Forgot you were running today, I'd have kept an eye out, but you were probably back home with your feet up by the time I finished anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Saw a couple of Tallaght juniors step off the road around half way through, looked like they'd gone out too hard all right. Think at least one of them passed me out later on though.

I passed one at the 2 mile marker and he was out on his feet. I passed another about half a mile later and he was walking on the footpath while puking:pac:.

Those lads would destroy me on the track. Exuberance of youth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done Ecoli, great PB and great report!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Nice running Ecoli- sets the stage for a good year from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Ya deserve that time with your consistent training, congratulations. Its a great feeling when ya pull it off! Id say you could go sub 27 considering you had that bit extra in the tank. I was half thinking of doing that race but I opted for training instead. Will be looking forward to some road running come Spring time, its pretty hard to get a pb in cross country! I think Ive a 5 mile pb in me this year too, hopefully low 27's too. Well done again!

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Ya deserve that time with your consistent training, congratulations. Its a great feeling when ya pull it off! Id say you could go sub 27 considering you had that bit extra in the tank. I was half thinking of doing that race but I opted for training instead. Will be looking forward to some road running come Spring time, its pretty hard to get a pb in cross country! I think Ive a 5 mile pb in me this year too, hopefully low 27's too. Well done again!

Seeing your log there no reason why you shouldnt be hitting them times to

WTD 56.10 miles (6/7 days)
    MTD 327.32 miles (28/29 days)
    YTD 327.32 miles (28/29 days)

Monday |Rest|||

Made the mistake of heading for one or two after the race on Sunday and 7-8 later closing time came around and I was still there. Not too bad the next day but laziness crept in and that became an excuse

Tuesday PM|MP Session|9.65 miles| 6.41 mile pace|1.04.31

Session: 2 miles easy, 5.5 miles @ MP, 2.15 easy
    Splits6.13, 6.10, 6.00, 6.12, 6.06, 3.00 (.5 miles)

A light session tonight after the race last week the legs were still a little tender especially given the fact that I had not ran since i did not wanna go overboard and end up injurying myself. Happy with how easy this felt

Wednesday AM|Easy Run|6.00 miles| 6.32 mile pace|39.15
    Wednesday PM|Easy Run|5.8 miles| 6.50 mile pace|39.36

Thursday AM|Easy Run|6.08 miles| 6.43 mile pace|40.49
    Thursday PM|10k pace session|13 miles| |

Session
    3 miles easy, drills, 1 mile jog bends stride straights,
    8x1km w/ 200m jog (90 sec)

Splits:3.24, 3.26, 3.24, 3.27, 3.27, 3.25, 3.25, 3.25

Was not looking forward to this session given the fact I was on a night shift the night before and given the fact I cant sleep during the day I was doing this on very little sleep. Despite tiredness however the session itself was quite controlled. Out in lane 3 for this with alot of traffic on the track meant there was a fair bit of bobbing and weaving to avoid people

Friday AM|Easy Run|6.07 miles| 6.46 mile pace|41.05

January Total 336.97 miles (29/31 days)

WTD 46.6 miles (4/5 days)
    MTD 36.95 miles (3/3 days)
    YTD 373.92 miles (32/34 days)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Fair play! I know how sh1t shift work can be.

Advertisement