Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

nice targets! best of luck with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Thursday |Easy Run|7.6 miles|7.13 mile pace|54.12

Handy run into work today

The external factors which were affecting training got a bit prolonged and realistically only got sorted this morning but thankfully behind me and got a bit of work done the last few days so really have to get the thumb out if I intend on salvaging something from this track season

Wednesday |Easy Run|3.65 miles|7.17 mile pace|26.37
    Very handy one just to get the legs moving again

Thursday |Steadyish Run|7 miles|6.39 mile pace|46.37

Handy enough run into work though I was slightly more laboured than I would have liked by the end but could be a result of having bag on my back as this was on way to work

Friday |cross training|||

Had alot to get done before work today and as I didnt have a car had to cycle so good bit of cross training done as it resulted in nearly 20 miles of cycling in the morning. Its amazing how much more you feel hills on a bike (mainly because it was a crappy aul raleigh bike with two buckled wheels:D). Legs felt it by the end and then had another 45 min spin after work to get home. Would have liked to get a run in but all in all still something is better than nothing

Saturday |Steady Run|6 miles|6.21 mile pace|38.06

Picking up the car today decided to push this one a little to get into a transition back to full training from today now that everything has been resolved and I can start getting the head down properly. I have alot to make up for

Sunday |Easy Run|9.22 miles|7.12 mile pace|1.06.30

Met up with dr quirky for this one in the Park. Kept it short enough as neither of us have been in full training the last while so I was gradually building back up to full mileage

Monday |Steady Run|6 miles|6.28 mile pace|38.49

Didnt intend this one to be as fast but progressively wound it up without too much effort. Given that the mileage is still very low I need to keep intensity high enough. I am flying out to Vegas on Friday so no point doing a full heavy week pull back next week and jump again when I get back it is an injury waiting to happen so mileage will be low this week and plan to do a bit next week then back to the heacy slog for the summer and get some PBs

Tuesday |Session|5 miles||

Session: 1 mile warm up, 3x1 mile w/5 min rec, 1 mile cooldown

Splits:

First long session in over 6 weeks so I didnt know how it would go. I have been doing a good bit of work on the glutes the last while to address the weakness issues which had cause the hamstring issues so the steady run plus glute work had me fairly sore today so I didnt know how this session was gonna go.

Met up with cwgatling and Tunguska for this one and found out the recovery was longer than I was expecting so I could push the pace faster than the original intended and see how it went.

1st one tucked in behind Tunguska and said I would see what happened. First lap was 75 so I knew I was on for more 3k-5k pace so I was gonna get a good Vo2 max session provided I didnt blow up. I was expecting as the rep went on to start to hurt but never really came too bad I was able to run relatively comfortable though did trail off in terms of pace the last two laps (I think I was concious that this was the first rep so didnt wanna push too hard and not be able to get whole session in).

Second one I let Tunguska pull away from me early on but dug in second half and come the last lap had managed to plug the gap a bit which I was happy about

Third one and I was beginning to hurt but nothing too bad. I knew this was my last one (even though lads were doing 5) simply because I haven't done a longer session in so long

All in all very happy with how I felt on this one it was alot more comfortable than I was expecting though this could just down to being alot fresher than I usually am in full training

All the same though maybe can salvage the summer and scrape some PBs at the shorter distances

Really motoring there on the mile repeats fair play!

• Advertisement

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Really motoring there on the mile repeats fair play!

Thanks but considering I am fresh from the reduction of mileage over the last few weeks coupled with long recoveries I wouldnt read into the figures too much

It also helped to have someone to chase (in Tunguska) rather than training solo as per alot of my sessions

Any time you can hit ~5min miles consistently is a good workout really. Just string a few of em together now and you'll hit some sersious times! no bother to ya. maybe hire out Tunguska more often as a rabbit.

Wednesday|Easy Run|5 miles|6.59 mile pace|34.55

Nice handy one today nothing too drastic got it in on my lunch break. Fairly content to just keep ticking over this week with low mileage and two good sessions before board the plan for Vegas on fri.

The tough part will be to try keep something up while over there but even if I dont get out in the mornings before the temps sore I will get creative with the treadmill and sessions (though quirky has gave me a link to a public track so optimistically will keep that in mind)

Been a good while since I updated this for the simple reason that I have been doing sweet F%^k all training wise. Between a boys week in Vegas followed by a week where the most I got in was a single 30 min run at effectively recovery pace.

Finally though I have no excuses no plans coming up no nothing so come tomorrow I can finally get the head back down and get in some serious training. Before that however there was the small matter of the National Leagues. I had committed to this long ago as I do every year. By a stroke of luck every really good session I had over the last few months the organiser of our League team saw and always gave the same comment "Great session you are flying. You available for the Leagues?" To which I always replied going well which up until about 6 weeks ago it was till it went horribly wrong. Still the team was stretched so I was committed to run the 3000m S/C

The idea was to have this race scare the beegeebus into me with how unfit I am and get me back on track and body did it. Had Timmaay in the race two who has recently picked the event up so I little added incentive to try and beat even though we are in different division we would be racing each other. Weather was hot as hell which was gonna make things a little more difficult.

Gun went and off I went. Being first year in Premier Division was expecting to have it tough yet here I was tucking in behind the leaders (though admittedly it went off slow) Came through the first lap in 87 which was okay under the 11 mark which surprised me (though they missed on barrier on first lap so could account for being slightly quick).Coming around the second lap recieved a nasty wake up call on the water jump in the form of a flailing hand square between the eyes courtesy of Timmaay (in fairness he had warned me about his technique prior to the race :P ) At 1k I was at 3.30 which surprised me but I was already hurting and knew I would slow it was only a question of by how much.

By 2k I was done and was feeling like 3k was more like a Marathon and I had hit the wall. I was barely moving. My legs were fine but the breathing was gone (I guess a sign of how unfit I was as its usually legs to go and never have the breathing go)

As the laps ticked on Timmaay was coming back to me but I was so tired I had nothing in me to go after him and finished in a lack lustered.........

Though it was a poor time and I am shockingly unfit it was still 4 seconds quicker than I ran in same race last year (Similar situation was coming back off a few down weeks including a rough stag weekend) so hopefully I can bounce back and still have somewhat of a season and still try crack PBs

Focus now will be on heavy training and plan to race myself into fitness. Next stop is a 5k next Sunday and normal training come tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Hi ecoli, was up at the league myself. Were you the runner wearing the Tallaght singlet in the SC? It looked like a tough old race and a fair few seemed to be struggling, fair play to you for sticking it out in tough conditions. If it makes you feel better I was dead last in the 1500m! :o

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Hi ecoli, was up at the league myself. Were you the runner wearing the Tallaght singlet in the SC? It looked like a tough old race and a fair few seemed to be struggling, fair play to you for sticking it out in tough conditions. If it makes you feel better I was dead last in the 1500m! :o

Yup that was myself though not one of my better days :D

Fair play to you for getting in there that was a high quality race wouldnt have envied you running against some of them lads. PB??

ecoli wrote: »
    Yup that was myself though not one of my better days :D

Fair play to you for getting in there that was a high quality race wouldnt have envied you running against some of them lads. PB??

Yeah those boys were lightning quick, felt a bit out of my depth. First ever 1500m so at least it was always going to be a PB!

pconn062 wrote: »
    Yeah those boys were lightning quick, felt a bit out of my depth. First ever 1500m so at least it was always going to be a PB!

Nice. I remember seeing you in a nice pack of three near the start. You manage to get a good race going with the boys?

Nice. I remember seeing you in a nice pack of three near the start. You manage to get a good race going with the boys?

Nah, I could have kept going with them but I would have killed myself. The lads were gas though, laughing joking about how quick the boys upfront were going then they went and put the boot down and left me standing!

Monday |Easy Run|6.07 miles|7.07 mile pace|43.16

Back into routine starting today. The body was in ribbons after yesterday but that was to be expected due to my activity recently coupled with the shock of the race yesterday. Took it handy enough today as wasn't gonna fight my lack of fitness levels as there would only be one winner (and that was not gonna be me:D)
    Rather than jump straight back into a double today gonna replace my usual second run with flexibility work. I am trying to get back into the mentality that I had in the early parts of last year where the discipline and consistency is there which is something I have severely lacked this year

WTD: 6.07 miles
    Consecutive days running: 2

Tuesday AM|Easy Run|3 miles|7.11 mile pace|21.34
    Tuesday PM|Session|7 miles||

Down to Corkagh park as was supposed to be meeting theRoadRunner (yes that elusive character who used frequent these logs:D) however unforseen circumstances meant I was on my own for this one which was probably a blessing in disguise as legs were still screaming from DOMS so cut this short to an easy 3 mile to loosen out the legs for Session in the evening.

PM SESSION

3.12 mile warm up, 12x400m w/1 min rec

Splits: 74, 69, 70, 71, 73, 73, 69, 73, 73, 73, 72, 73,

Met up with cwgatling for this one. Was really apprehensive about this one as I knew I was not in shape so wasnt expecting too much. Half of me considered trying to do more reps at lower intensity but I stuck to my guns and decided that would be the easy way out and need to get back into full training and top making exuses.The weather was torrential so i knew that if I could get the head down for this one it would help me get back the mental strength I have been suffering with.

After drills we jogged four hundred before getting into them, little did I know though this mean going straight into them so as I was taking off the jacket cwgatling was gone so took off after him. First rep I was very much up on my toes and felt fairly uncomfortable (probably down to the lack of fitness). Next one I felt a good bit more comfortable and it showed in the pace it suprised me how quick it was though I was working a hell of alot harder than I would have liked for the pace.

As the reps went one I hurt more and more though managed to hold the pace. On the 7th rep a few of the lads from the middle distance group were starting a four hundred rep and I heard the coach say no faster than 72 so I though I would tuck in with them. I used this as motivation and began to chase them down. At 200 I passed the first lad and was feeling good. Came through with another 69 showing that even though I felt like I was hurting I could still dig in.

Finished the session alot happier than I thought I would have but still not in great shape as this time of the season I really should be in alot better shape and these should be averaging closer to 67-68 but hopefully a few weeks down the road I should be in semi decent shape

Wednesday AM|Easy Run|3 miles|7.10 mile pace|21.30

Got out just to flush out the legs this morning as I didnt get a cooldown in last night. Legs starting to shake the DOMS thankfully and should be back to normal hopefully by the weekend

WTD: 19.32 miles
    Consecutive days running: 4

Thursday |Easy Run|5.2 miles|7.15 mile pace|36.27

Short run during lunch as was meeting the lads after work for the match nothing too major

Friday|Easy Run|7+ miles|N/A|N/A

Left the car at work yesterday and didnt have the garmin so just an easy run into work. Tiredness was a killer for this one as although I was good in terms of drink (had stopped drinking by end of the Ireland match) between one thing and another it was a 5am job with Coppers and Colossus.

Saturday|Recovery Run|3 miles|N/A|N/A

Easy shake out for the race to loosen out the legs for the race plus a few strides

WTD: 34.32 miles
    Consecutive days running: 6

Slightly better prepared for this one as it was the first full week that I have managed in a long while and even though mileage was low and am in horrible shape I was down for this one for the team because it incorporated the Dublin Novice.Few late nights the last few days meant I was tired but body was grand simply because mileage (although its best in a few weeks) has been muck all week.

Are team was good on paper for this but few (like myself) coming back to fitness and as such I didnt know where we stood. We were told on the start line that due to flooding on the course there was a slight detour and the course was approx 5k. I was happy with this as it meant I would not be worrying too much about the time if the course was out (though in my heart I though around 17 min was were I reckon I was around about that shape (a long way from where I should be but what can you do)

Gun went and I took it conservative enough feeling not too bad. After few min though I was laboured but nothing too major though. Came to the detour to see we were up on the grass for a bit of summer time cross country:D. At this stage began to settle about 5-10m off the first 15 or so in the race. Was not doing the worst but I was slow. Came to first k mark @ 3.26 which was slow but I optimistically thought that this was just due to the detour and that I would make it back.

As I went on it was me and a Raheny guy running together. This kept me focused as I reckoned they were the main rivals for the team title so I kept working hard enough. The second k was good bit slower on the watch with a 3.38 (it was at this point I gave up on the watch).

3k came along and cwgatling was hot on my tail and it looked like I was in a battle to be 3rd scorer on our team. He passed me and began to push on. I was feeling reasonably comfortable though despite the lack of fitness and began pushing to get back up on him from about 800m to go. With 400 to go I was on his shoulder. I attempted to make an all out sprint but knew I wouldnt last so just started to crank it up. Finished strong taking 4 or 5 scalps in the last 100 to finish in

Possibly my slowest 5k in years however given my fitness levels I knew it was never going to go well. Only consolation is alot of people I talked to were in agreement that the course was not a fast one and reckon it was about 20 secs slow which makes the time slightly better but still a bad day. The main point of today was to get out for the team for the Novice Championships and we ended up winning the team event for this

While the weeks mileage was low I got out so was an improvement and a stepping block to heavy training which I intend to do over the next few months. Starting Monday week ill be working off a set plan though this week I am still deliberating another race to try help boost fitness

WTD: 42.32 miles
    Consecutive days running: 7

Monday AM|Easy Run|7.5 miles|7.31 mile pace|56.27
    Monday PM|Easy Run|6 miles|7.25 mile pace|44.31

After a light mileage week to get me back into things last week it was back into full swing today. This morning met up with theRoadRunner for an easy run. pace itself was very handy but given shape I am in and the big jump back into normal mileage this was not a bad thing to keep it easy until the fitness comes back

Solid 20 min stretching in the afternoon as I had the day off work followed by an evening run which again was nothing to dramatic. Legs are not too bad but will feel the jump in miles probably tomorrow (which probably not great as I have a session down in the club)

WTD: 13.5 miles

Tuesday AM|Easy Run|3.65 miles|7.31 mile pace|27.23

Nice easy one to loosen the legs out for the session

Tuesday PM|Session|10.5 miles||

Session:
    3 miles easy, drills, 800m of jog bends/strides straights,
    8x400m w/400 jog recovery (2.30-3.00)
    3 miles easy

Splits: 70, 67, 67, 69, 70, 71, 72, 76

Met up with Tunguska and Cwgatling for this one in the afternoon. The recovery was generous enough so I decided to push the boat out and see where I was with this one. Admittedly the legs were alot heavier than last week due to the fact that I am back in full training and it is gonna take a few weeks to get back used to it.
    First one went off and I was shocked when i didn't see Tunguska not fly out the front though he was a little weary of an injury playing up which been bothering him. The second one I had no such luxury as Tunguska put the boot down so I attempted to follow suit. The fact that someone was there to push me out of the comfort zone was a good thing and I was working though in hindsight was probably working a little too hard. Evidence of this was in the split of 67 which was not fast enough to take Tunguska who finished a second ahead of me.
    Third one and we were side by side for the entire rep and finished in 67 again. Was happy enough with these. The next one Tunguska was struggling with the leg and I think with no one to push me I was finding it hard. 69 proved this and from here it was a tough slog as Tunguska was finished. I was killing myself to try hold the pace but they were getting progressively slower.
    Came the 8th one and I was struggling. Worked hard to try and maintain the pace for 200m but after this the wheels came off and finished in 76 with Cwgatling closing with every stride. I knew I was done at 8 even though the plan was to do 12.
    Not too worried as it is still early days with training and still got in a very good days training/mileage

Tuesday PM|Weight Session|||

Given the fact that I had the day off and no plans for it I thought I would make the most of it in terms of training so few hours later (dinner consumed so was re fueled and ready to go) I was back down to the club to do a bit of strength and conditioning work. With jumping back into training I want to make sure that I iron out any weaknesses and imbalances so I am making a point of getting the supplementary work in as well as the miles now that I am back as given my fitness levels I can't afford a lay off with injury

I plan on keeping a record of my weight sessions for the first time to allow me to keep track of what I am doing and also the progression in this training (again something I have not done to well in the past)

Exercise|Weight|Reps|Sets
    Bench Press|40kg |10|3|
    Squats|10kg excluding bar|10|3|
    Lat Pulldowns|40kg|10|3|
    Calf raises (with dumbells)|10kg|10|3|
    Bent over row|20kg excluding bar|10|3|
    Quad extensions|40kg|10|3|
    Overhead med ball throws|6kg ball|10|3

WTD: 27.15 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

The next one Tunguska was struggling with the leg and I think with no one to push me I was finding it hard.

Sorry I had to abandon ship, thought I was ok but then the calve gave me a jolt and I had to knock it on the head there and then. Shame, was enjoying that session and I think we would've gotten them all at 66/67 had I not pulled up. Marathon training from next week on but there'll be a good few sessions like yesterday so we'll nail it next time.

tunguska wrote: »
    Sorry I had to abandon ship, thought I was ok but then the calve gave me a jolt and I had to knock it on the head there and then. Shame, was enjoying that session and I think we would've gotten them all at 66/67 had I not pulled up. Marathon training from next week on but there'll be a good few sessions like yesterday so we'll nail it next time.

No worries man. Hope the leg is a bit better today. I start Half training myself anyway so will be doing 1 mile - 5k paced stuff early in the week and Tempo paced stuff as second session with Long runs alternating between easy and steady at the weekend so I am sure that we can manage to sort out the plan to suit everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

No worries man. Hope the leg is a bit better today. I start Half training myself anyway so will be doing 1 mile - 5k paced stuff early in the week and Tempo paced stuff as second session with Long runs alternating between easy and steady at the weekend so I am sure that we can manage to sort out the plan to suit everyone

Its ok, just a bit tempermental at the moment, will be ok in a day or two.
    I'll e-mail you the schedule week by week so you can take your pick as to what best suits you.

tunguska wrote: »
    Its ok, just a bit tempermental at the moment, will be ok in a day or two.
    I'll e-mail you the schedule week by week so you can take your pick as to what best suits you.

Hopefully will be grand for the weekend. That suits me down to the grand I dunno how far away you plan but even every 2 weeks would be ideal (give me a chance to try juggle work shifts around to make more sessions

Wednesday|Medium Long Run|11.04 miles|7.19 mile pace|1.20.24

Now that I am back training for the longer distances I aim to try push a mid length run midweek to couple with my long run at the weekends. This will build as the fitness builds but for now 11 was plenty. Made a point of trying to make this one as hilly as I could so decided to run up by St. Annes GAA club to Bournabreena church before heading into the waterworks.

The pace was nice and modest I thought anything under 7.40 would be grand and it was holding slightly quicker even with the first half of the run being more uphill than down. Around 6 miles saw a fella up ahead of me in the loop and I was feeling ok so said I would slowly try and bridge the gap and sure enough after about a mile caught him and ended up running with him for a while chatting.

Only lasted about 2 mile though as I turned back for home. I dunno whether the pace had slightly increased while running with this guy or whether it was just the down hill but the average pace dropped fairly rapidly. As the miles ticked on though the lack of fitness was taking its toll (the legs were already heavy from the increase in miles this week) I got to 11 miles and decided that was that and the body wasn't going any further and stopped about a half a mile from the house leaving me to walk it in

WTD: 38.19 miles

Thursday AM|Steady Run|4.58 miles|6.33 mile pace|30.00

Tired today and still had the heaviness in the legs but this will take a week or to to push through as my body gets back to the mileage. Despite that once I got out today I felt good. Day by day I have felt my fitness coming back and this morning I decided to push the pace a bit.

The idea was to do like one or two short runs a week back at the pace I was at. The last thing I want is for my body to become content with the very easy paces so by incorporating the odd one it keeps my body in touch with the speed I was at.Was shocked to see myself get to the pace that I did though tbh especially when it was steady but by no means all out.

Will keep it fairly handy tonight though. On another note this is now my highest mileage week since mid April (and very badly needed given two months of crap) still a bit to go yet but the main thing I need to focus on is patience and consistency now for the next few months

WTD:43.27 miles

Friday AM|EasyRun|7.17miles|6.58 mile pace|50.00

Handy run on this one. Wind on my back on the way out and though I didnt feel it must have helped because the pace was quicker than I was expecting. It was only when I came to the turn around I felt how bad the wind was. mp3 died at this point and looked at the Garmin to see battery low. Not what I wanted to see at all. Nonetheless I carried on and surprisingly held the pace as well as my battery held up with the Garmin.

Surprised that the pace has come back into my legs so quickly and though I am not as comfortable as I was when fully fit so still a few weeks away from the kinda fitness when the easy runs are an afterthought regardless of distance and pace. Still its a positive step especially when I am on for close to an 80 mile week.

Going in the right direction anyway:D

WTD:50.44 miles

Saturday|OFF|||

Took a day off as was tired and as precaution as the pace has come back quick enough just wanted to make sure I didnt ramp up the mileage too quickly

Sunday|Long Run|14.14 miles|7.04 mile pace|1.40.00

Got off work late enough tonight so was a bit worried about taking to my usual hill routes as light was fading so I decided to stay local enough and just make up the loop as I went along and try to get in as many climbs as possible. Took off up the Embankment Road taking it fairly handy. Felt good as I climbed the first few miles then looped back down around towards Kiltipper.

There is a nightmare of a 400m climb here that had me working hard and was breathing heavy by the time I got to the top but as it leveled off the legs got a major breather and I was feeling very strong. Where as Wednesday I came through 11 miles feeling fairly jacked today I came to 11 miles at a quicker pace feeling very strong and pushed on.

Was heading back up towards the house and last min decided to tack on another too miles. Still feeling very strong the average pace kept dropping and still running strong. Could have pushed on for longer but left it at that. Happy with how it went and gives me some confidence as tomorrow I start training for the National Half in 10 weeks time so the serious work begins

Weekly Mileage: 64.58 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Nice running there ecoli, always great feeling to finish strong; good weekly total too. Dont think Im anywhere near 50, never mind 64 miles! Am 50 50 for the half marathon myself, will have to decide soon enough.

• Advertisement

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Nice running there ecoli, always great feeling to finish strong; good weekly total too. Dont think Im anywhere near 50, never mind 64 miles! Am 50 50 for the half marathon myself, will have to decide soon enough.

Cheers big difference a week makes looking back in the log:D.Some people can perform better off lower mileage though as you highlight in your log with you huge improvement over the last few months. Should be a good one seems to be a fair few targeting it this year so hopefully a fast course.

Advertisement