Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Monday AM|Easy Run|9.04 miles|7.18 mile pace|1.06.00

Bad night sleep last night so woke up to a groggy text from Road Runner asking had I ran this morning. Quick phone call and I was out the door within 15 min before I had a chance to realise that I was feeling so lazy that I didn't actually want to get out of bed:D. Nice handy one around Corkagh Park and despite it being overcast was quite warm

WTD 9.04 miles

Monday PM|Easy Run|5.74|7.03 mile pace|40.16
    Monday PM|Weight Session|||

Just a very handy run tonight legs felt fairly good. Got back to the club to see an Olympic torch being batted around so after a quick photo shoot with it (hope they got my good side:D) it was off up to the gym for my strengthening work. Today I was adding two reps to each set of each exercise. Will do this for 3 weeks before increasing the weight and dropping the reps back down to 10 to start again and keep it progressive

Exercise|Weight|Reps|Sets
    Bench Press|40kg |12|3|
    Squats|10kg excluding bar|12|3|
    Lat Pulldowns|40kg|12|3|
    Calf raises (with dumbells)|10kg|12|3|
    Bent over row|20kg excluding bar|12|3|
    Quad extensions|40kg|12|3|
    Overhead med ball throws|6kg ball|12|3

WTD: 14.78 miles

Tuesday |Easy Run|3.75 miles|7.19 mile pace|27.24

Had to be out of the house before 12 and was planning on doing session in the morning before I headed out however plan became unwound as slept in:rolleyes:. Rather than not do anything I decided I had to get out and do what I could, if for no other reason other than mentally getting me back into consistent training.

Wednesday|Easy Run|6 miles|7.14 mile pace|43.27

Given the fact was in town for 12.30 yesterday I figured wouldnt be too late a night. How wrong I was. Even though I was pretty good in terms of drink (only had a few before the gig) ended up in the usual routine of Coppers etc after. 5am and its getting bright and we are only heading in to a taxi. Despite this when i woke up a couple of hourse later managed to get out easy enough for a run before work. Was supposed to double but sadly at that stage sleep deprivation (coupled with having to stay back in work) meant that this went out the window.

Just thankful I didnt really drink otherwise could have been alot worse:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ecoli wrote: »
    Coppers

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Coppers sober? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Coppers sober? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Its an experience to say the least:p

Thursday AM|Easy Run|4.8 miles|6.52 mile pace|32.58

Got a phonecall last night, basically saying I got lumped with a double shift today (8-11) so a well laid plan of a massage and a session before work went out the window. Despite this I am not going to let it interfere with training so quick change at lunch time and away I went for an easy run. Despite being very tired and the calfs being tight as a result of this I actually felt really handy and was shocked with the pace. Surprised with how nice a day it turned out to be given the torrential rain this morning on way into work.

Hopefully now will get out now for tempo after work as been over a week since I have done any quality work

Thursday PM| Progressive Tempo Run|9.2 miles|7.12 mile pace|1.06.18

Session 3 miles easy, 3.2 miles tempo 3 miles easy

Splits 6.15, 5.55, 5.44, 1.12 (6.02 pace)

After a 15 hour shift in work I was completely shattered and knew this was more about getting the session in than anything. I would have moved it to tomorrow only that meant back to back sessions so I said I would head out tonight and just base it solely on effort. Changed the display on the Garmin just to distance so I wouldnt even have any temptation to check pace. Headed up to the Grant Thornton 10k route as continual climb for alot of it and can be challenging enough exactly what you want when basing a session off feel.
    Though aerobically felt fine the tiredness had consumed the body so much so that I cut it from the original 4 miles to a 5k yet slightly overstepped the mark. All in all happy to get out and get it done. Today proved to me how lazy I have been over the last few months and how possible it is to get in training despite life's curve balls

Friday| Easy run|6.07 miles|7.40 mile pace|46.32

Just a handy one with the RoadRunner here. Between the 15 hour shift and the session last night the legs needed just a handy one and he wasn't much better

Saturday|OFF|||

Best intentions of getting up for a session before work but the week has takenn its toll on me and as a result slept through the alarm and nearly slept out work but thankfully made it in time. In hindsight probably not a bad idea to listen to the body this once and take the rest day

Sunday AM| Easy Run|4.87 miles|7.05 mile pace|34.28

Just a short one on my lunch break to loosen out the legs felt good and strong with pace very easy

Sunday PM| Session|10.10 miles|7.23 mile pace|1.14.31

Session: 4 miles easy, 5x1k w/2.30 jog rec, 1.46 miles easy

Splits: 3.22, 3.22, 3.19, 3.23, 3.19

Finished work and out for the session I was supposed to do last night. Given the plan has a solid strength week next week I could afford to forgo the long run all the same I said I would extend the warm up and keep the session as all continuous running just to keep the strength element. Conditions were windy enough so rather than an out and back stretch of road I usually us for the k reps I decided to suss out a solid 3 mile loop which was relatively flat to do the reps on.
    Happy enough with how this went as though I was pushing out of my comfort zone between the wind and the few climbs I was never balls out and though I was ready to give up a few times I pushed through

(It has to get easier as I get fitter right:D)

Weekly mileage 65.65 miles

Monday AM|Easy Run|4.78 miles|7.13 mile pace|34.37

Just an easy one this morning to flush out the legs a bit after the session last night. Off to Vinny then for my first massage in a couple of months (a habit I need to get back into)

Monday PM|Easy Run|5.58 miles|6.51 mile pace|38.13
    Monday PM|Weight Session|||

Legs were heavy which was to be expected as that is how I normally feel any time I run anything quicker the day of a massage. Despite this the pace felt really comfortable. This was followed by weekly strengthening session and happy enough with how it went had to work hard mind you. Next week is the last week of increasing reps though and after that will drop back down and increase the weight and start back all over again

Exercise|Weight|Reps|Sets
    Bench Press|40kg |14|3|
    Squats|10kg excluding bar|14|3|
    Lat Pulldowns|40kg|14|3|
    Calf raises (with dumbells)|10kg|14|3|
    Bent over row|20kg excluding bar|14|3|
    Quad extensions|40kg|14|3|
    Overhead med ball throws|6kg ball|14|3

Tuesday AM|Tempo Session|11 miles|6.42 mile pace|1.13.48

Session 2 miles warm up, 4 mile tempo, 90 sec rec, 3 mile tempo, 2 mile easy

Splits: 4 mile 24.44 (6.11 average)

3 mile: 18.20 (6.07 average)

The plan called for this to be straight through but I knew I was still not up to the fitness levels required to do that so I decided to break this up with a short recovery so that I was still getting over 40 min of work without letting the heart rate drop in between the reps.

The first two miles were relatively comfortable. First one was a little slow down to the fact that I got held up crossing a road so i lost a few seconds there but altogether not too bad. The last mile I probably pushed it a little too hard even though the pace was in line with the rest this was up a slight hill into the wind so the effort was definitely up.

Come the second rep I felt fine starting it off but soon into it the hurt I was feeling come the end of the first rep. Dug in the second mile but by the third I was hurting legs were like lead and I was digging in hard.

All in all happy with how the session went as I would have been happy with anything between 6.15-6.20 so all in all exceeded expectations. Still a long way off where I need to be but a solid 8 weeks should get me in half decent shape for the National half

WTD: 21.36 miles

• Advertisement

Tuesday PM|Easy Run|7.5 miles|7.25 mile pace|55.37

Left the car at work tonight and headed home to get in a double. Legs were heavy from the session but despite this I felt aerobically strong. The route home from work has some nice climbs so I was glad to get them in. This is one thing that I have actively aimed to do differently in the build up to Athenry compared to Waterford and my last marathon is to include more hills. This doesnt so much mean hill sessions but rather more in Long runs/ Steady Runs, long reps and tempos. I think this was a downfall with Waterford as I had not done alot of hill work

WTD: 28.86 miles

Wednesday AM|Easy Run|8.3 miles|7.10 mile pace|59.37

Took this run very handy and given the fact that it is the same route as I did last night (Ran back into work this morning) meant that a good chunk of this run was down hill. Legs needed this one to be handy though as they are still heavy though I dont mind this as it is as expected for the next few weeks giving in full swing with training for Athenry

WTD: 37.16 miles

Wednesday PM|Recovery Run|4.76 miles|8.09 mile pace|38.46

Very handy one just the get the legs moving to try and flush out some of the heaviness as was still feeling it but that is probably just the way I will feel for the next few weeks till I get back used to the higher mileage

Thursday AM|Session|10 miles||

Session:
    3 miles easy,
    drills, 1 mile jog bends/ stride straights
    2x (12x200m w/ jog 200 rec (65-70 sec) 2 min rec between sets

Splits:
    (32, 34, 33, 33, 33, 33, 33, 33, 34, 33, 33, 34)
    (33, 34, 35, 34, 34, 34, 35, 34, 34, 34, 34, 32)

a Solid fatigue resistance session that I knew was gonna be difficult enough as the legs are still heavy but knew I need to start pushing through the mental barrier in sessions so I gave it good go.

First few reps were grand and got into a good rhythm rattling off 33s which were difficult but not killing myself to hit. As I came to about 8 I was starting to get to the fatigued state. The weather was warm humid as hell so i was suffering a bit. Decided at this point to split these into sets to give me a chance to get a drink and off with the sleeveless which was saturated at this point

Managed to keep the recovery short enough so I wouldnthave a chance to recover properly so that I could still get the benefits I was looking for from this session.

The second half were hard no doubt about it and the pace showed that but even though I was hurting and the thought of dropping out crept in a few times (In second set had considered calling it at 8 reps, then 10 again) but fought my demons and pushed on through.

Was happy enough as the plan had these to be around 35-36s so the fact that I was able to do them off slightly quicker pace is a good sign

All in all very happy with how the session went and the week in general so far getting into a nice flow with training that hopefully can continue now for the next 7 weeks to get race ready

WTD: 51.92 miles

Thursday PM|Steady Run|4.65 miles|6.41 mile pace|31.08

Wasn't feeling too bad after the session so went with the mentality hard days hard and easy days easy so I pushed this to a steady one. Was going grand till I started to get a twinge in the ankle that was getting worse so I levelled off the pace. Was manageable though so hopefully nothing prob just overdid it slightlt

Friday AM|Recovery Run|6.05 miles|8.35 mile pace|51.57

Just a very handy one this morning after the hard day yesterday just to allow the legs to recovery. Ankle was at me for the first two miles but loosen out big time as run went on so hopefully that will be the end of it and the easy day will clear it up.
    Today also saw the death of my runners. Ended up standing on a broken bottle by accident along my run. Thankfully between the shoe and my orthotic (which wasnt damaged) my foot was protected but the shard of glass is deeply embedded in the shoe so I will have to look at picking up a new pair this week

Been so focused on consistency that I kinda forgot about the mileage but only starting to realise now that starting to add up to decent chunk for the week

WTD: 62.62 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

ecoli wrote: »

Today also saw the death of my runners. Ended up standing on a broken bottle by accident along my run. Thankfully between the shoe and my orthotic (which wasnt damaged) my foot was protected but the shard of glass is deeply embedded in the shoe so I will have to look at picking up a new pair this week

Ouch! Luckily you were not wearing some of them barefoot vibram type runners.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Ouch! Luckily you were not wearing some of them barefoot vibram type runners.

Shove that in all them pro barefoot runners faces:D

I believe this actually happened to Thirstywork2 a while back in a XC race also so what ever about barefoot running in Africa i think urban sprawl and increase in anti social behaviour in Dublin is not a factor which is taking into account in studies on barefoot running :D

Saturday AM|Steady Run|13.16 miles|6.50 mile pace|1.30.07

Splits: 6.44, 6.41, 6.54, 6.54, 6.43, 6.45, 6.52, 6.44, 6.35, 6.55, 6.59, 7.16 (Stopped to pick up stragglers), 6.54

Killed two birds with one stone on this one and paced the 90 min Half out in Clontarf with this one. Though it was a little slower than the prescribed steady pace i figured with the extra effort on the beach, the wind and the few seconds under I per mile I would have to be to make sure I accounted for the race line I figured it would compensate and have me working at the right effort.

Because the course was in km I had to make a trade off so I put the average pace on the Garmin in KM but set the auto lap for mile splits that way I could manage to appease both audiences within the pacer group. The ankle was still causing me a bit of bother so I didnt know how it was gonna hold up and in the first 2 mile it immediately was at me to the point where I was semi limping with my stride. The pace itself was grand and I was hitting the splits a bit quick but nothing too major and perfectly to account for race line (having said that with such a narrow course there was very little deviation so km markers were bang on)

We hit the beach after about 4km and at this point the foot had started to numb up so I wasn't feeling the tighteness in the ankle so was all good. Had to work a bit on the beach even though I had heard before that the beach is usually quite compact there is no doubt that it definitely costs you a good few seconds on this course. Came off the beach and looked behind to see a great group still with me (my largest to date) Once we got to the turn about traffic became an issue. Between walkers and the fact that the promenade wasn't closed off I was shouting warnings about people, dogs and prams so much that there was very little time to shout words of encouragement but still I did my best (can't be known as the "anti social pacer" :D) Back on to the beach and the group with me were flying I knew we were on for about 1.29.20/30 so I encouraged the lads on and started working my way back through the group to try and keep the few who were struggling to hang on or were a few metres off the back to try and get them through things.

At this stage the main group (which was about 12) were pushing on and I was trying to get a group of 5 to keep going and managed to keep three on course. came off the beach and there we started picking up a few lads who were labouring from going out too hard Seemed to work and the lads as a group pushed on and were still safely on for the sub 1.30.

At this point I see a guy struggling big time so rather than finish safetly under 1.30 with the lads a couple of seconds ahead of me I stopped and waited for your man. By hook or by crook I was gonna get him over the line to. Fair play to him as he got a second wind and we began working together and he kept pushing and managed to start chasing down the guys ahead. I see another lad hot on our heels and try pushing him on however as we come to the line and he begins pushing past me I see the clock tick over the 1.30 and he finished at 1.30.04 with me closely behind in 1.30.07

So all in all I am an utter failure having not finishing under the target time :p having said that I am probably the happiest failure of the day:D as this was the largest group I have ever had with me in the 90 min group and managed to get every one of my group over on time (and even two stragglers not including the one that I couldnt get in at the end) and also it was the one were i felt I was most influential in getting people to the time

Decided to opt out of the evening run and give the ankle a bit of time to rest up and be smart as even though the run today proved running on it wouldnt make it worse I want it to heal up so that it doesnt interrupt training and sessions next week

WTD: 75.78 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great stuf Ecoli, you had a nice bunch of runners about 20-30m in front of you when I saw you and did well to get that lad in the red and white stripes behind you got to catch up. I'm amazed you got him over the line as he looked dead on his feet.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great stuf Ecoli, you had a nice bunch of runners about 20-30m in front of you when I saw you and did well to get that lad in the red and white stripes behind you got to catch up. I'm amazed you got him over the line as he looked dead on his feet.

There were a few alright had a lad in black stop with 500m to go and sat down:eek:. Needless to say he quickly got dragged to his feet and finished under the time. I had the tough love attitude yesterday my pacees were getting over the line whether they liked it or not:D

Sunday AM|Easy Run|6.11 miles|7.20 mile pace|44.51

Thankfully the ankle had improved a good bit today. There was no soreness yet it was still quite tight and stiff so forwent my plan of a long run and kept it short and easy. The fact that I dont have another session until Wednesday I should be grand by then.

All in all I am happy with the week I had two good sessions. Initially the consistency in the training took over and had put me on for a 100 mile week by Thursday however played it cautious and safe with the leg yet still got in a solid 80 mile week running every day so i cant really complain. If I can keep this up between now and Athenry I will be confident enough about me being in decent shape

Weekly Mileage:81.89 miles

• Advertisement

Monday AM|Easy Run|11.9 miles|7.20 mile pace|1.27.17

Out to Maynooth for this one and met up with tRR for what was planned to be about 8-10 miles. Calves/ ankles were a little bit looser this morning as I spent a good amount of time last night stretching and massaging and seemed to help. When I got out on the run though it was the similar pattern of tightness first 2 mile, feet numbing up after this for a few mile and then at about 7-8 miles they loosen out. The fact that the pain from last Thursday and Fri being gone and now it is just being stiffness and improving daily despite running means that I am not making it worse so will just be a case of manage it with stretching myself all week till massage on Friday with Vinny.

Happy with this going longer than expected and no sign of tiredness just a nice handy run starting to get back into the semi tireless state when running at easy paces which is a good thing and can focus on really pushing myself over the next few weeks in sessions

WTD: 11.9 miles

Monday PM|Easy Run|4.79 miles|6.38 mile pace|31.45

Slipped out on my lunch break from work. The morning run seemed to have loosend the legs out a good bit (so much for my last few days of singles to try and rest up turns out doubling probably would have been better). was ticking along nicely aroun 6.45 average pace and the last mile decided to put in a bit of a surge nothing dramatic but just a solid mile as was feeling good.

WTD16.69 miles

Tuesday AM|Easy Run|7.45 miles|7.07 mile pace|53.00

Handy one around Tymon park this morning. Calves continue to loosen out each run they seem to be improving which I am happy about as it shouldnt affect sessions meaning that didnt actually hinder training at all thankfully

WTD 24.14 miles

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Tim6
    Tuesday PM|Easy Run|7.81 miles|7.15 mile pace|56.41

Nothing to major to report on this one. Left the car at work and toddled on home. A nice little route with a few nice little inclines along the way. Will make getting a morning run in tomorrow as I have no other choice.:D

WTD 31.95 miles

Wednesday AM|Easy Run|8.42 miles|7.19 mile pace|1.01.43

Woke up this morning and the reluctancy to get out of bed was nearly overpowering but my cunning plan of leaving the car in work meant I had no other choice:D Nothing will wake you up like a nice run on empty stomach with Skrillex blaring in your ear :D

WTD 40.37 miles

Wednesday PM|Tempo|10 miles|6.53 mile pace|1.08.48

Session: 3 miles easy, 4 miles tempo, 3 miles easy

Splits: 4 miles in 23.34 (5.54 mile pace)

With the calves being tight the last few days I had been playing it safe regarding sessions I pushed this one back from Tuesday to Wednesday but by the time it came around today I was itching to go (I say the fact I watched the Faster Higher Stronger documentary just before I left had me pumped also as was one the best running doc's have seen in a long while)

Headed back up to the loop I did my last short tempo on (the Grant Thornton 10k race route) as its a solid loop with alot of gradual inclines and funny enough it was back to the wind tunnel conditions it is famous for. Tempo itself was quite controlled and progressively got faster. The last 2 mile were fairly hard as I had turned into the wind and also faced a gradual incline none the less I felt fairly good. Big difference from when I ran this 2 weeks ago and was nearly flat on my feet by the end (and on that occasion it was only 3.2 miles :rolleyes:

Time to rest up as the way it worked out this week I have back to back hard says. Not ideal but for the sake of the extra day to loosen out the calves it was a compromised definitely worth taking

WTD 50.37 miles

Thursday|Session|11 miles||

Session:
    3.12 miles easy,
    Drills + 1 mile jog bends/stride straights,
    16x400m with 65- 70 sec recovery (jog 200m),
    1 mile easy

Splits: Average: 75-76 seconds

78, 76, 77, 75, 75, 75, 75, 74, 75, 75, 76, 75, 76, 75, 76, 77,

Feeling sluggish right through the warm up on this one and even the strides but given the tempo this was to be expected. To be honest I didnt know how this was going to go as its been a heavy week of training already so far none the less I was going to give it a bash. There was a healthy wind aswell which meant that I didnt know how realistic my targets of 75 was gonna be.

First rep was not great and wind did slow me a good bit. Hitting 78 I thought even if the legs did loosen out a small bit there was no way was gonna manage my target so I would just have to adjust for the wind however the next few weren't as bad and started working and times were coming down.

After about five however I thought I may have been working a little too hard none the less I plugged on and started focusing on remaining relaxed (after reading Tunguska's Race report on the national Seniors) seemed to work a treat as I was hitting my target and got into a groove rattled off the next few and even though I was working hard I was relaxed in my running and not fighting my own bodies mechanics and felt quite smooth.

Had to dig in on the last third of the session and even though the times slowed a bit the effort was very high. Fought on till the end and felt very satisfied with the mornings work. Ran a mile on the cooldown just to aid recovery but to be honest I am at the stage in the week where I am trying to shave a few miles off as I am on for well over a hundred and even though I dont feel half bad, I am weary though at the same time I am not going to cut out runs for the fear of a number. The body doesn't know when you cross a threshold defined by a number made up by man :D

WTD 61.37 miles

Friday AM|Recovery run|3.27 miles|9.10 mile pace|30.00

After the back to back sessions today was all about recovery so a very handy run in the morning. been a while since I ran so slow so took a while to actually feel comfortably running at that pace

This was followed up by a trip down to Vinny for a rub. This was my chance to get the calves loosened out after last weeks niggles though to be honest the more I ran this week the more they loosened out so I was not actually that bad at all. I was feeling a bit of weakness in the hip. This has been something that always seems to be an issue with me and IMO it is something that many of my niggles over the last two years have stemmed from and something which seems to have to be worked on fairly regularly so I ended up getting dry needle therapy for the first time. Getting it done was not too bad but very tender for the rest of the day so I decided to take the evening off as all I had was a recovery run planned again and I thought this would benefit more.

Talking to Vinny and trying to get to the bottom of the problem and it started becoming clear what was causing it. Driving and sitting at a desk all day in work with a tendency to rotate my leg out (for a comfort reason) seems to be tightening the piriformis so it is something I am going to have to actively address over the next while just as a precaution

WTD: 64.64 miles

Saturday|Long Run Session|17.11 miles|6.35 mile pace|1.54.15

Session

2.63 miles easy (7.33 mile pace)

3 mile tempo: 16.29 (5.30 mile pace)
    Splits: 5.28, 5.31, 5.30

8.48 miles easy (7.14 mile pace)

3 mile tempo: 16.35 (5.32 mile pace)
    Splits:5.30, 5.32, 5.33

Had a 15 mile steady planned for this weekend but the lads from the club were doing a Daniels styled long run session so I decided to do it with the. Met up with Tunguska,Cwgatling and Krusty Clown for this one.

First section was handy enough just getting the legs loosened out then back to the track for the 3 mile section. The way it worked everyone seemed to spread out about 20m or so around the track so there was always someone near enough to use as a marker but effectively these were solo runs and as there was a solid wind these were tough enough. I slotted in 2nd behind Tunguska so was targetting him though never made up any ground on him.

Target had been 5.40s but to be honest I didnt even know whether this was realistic yet first mile came around and I was hit sub 5.30 I thought I may have been a bit too enthusiastic, none the less I dug in and manage to maintain the pace in the next two miles but I was working very hard to do so just kept focusing on relaxing my form and trying to expend the minimum amount of energy as it was still a very early in the session. Came across the line and was delighted with the time I felt very good managing to hold the pace.

Then took off into Tymon Park for an hour easy running. KC and Tunguska pulled away at a tasty enough pace considering Tunguska was about 15 secs ahead of me in the tempo park. I held back a bit but kept it at a reasonable pace. Me and Cwgatling ran along and about half way through the legs were starting to get heavy (not surprising as we were coming onto 8 miles at this stage with 3 hard ones) I knew by the time we got back to the track I would be struggling (Fair play to Cwgatling as he was doing the easy running section a good deal faster than his normal easy pace in the middle of two hard tempo sections).

Got back on track and Tunguska was having a few stomach problems so was planning to hop in after a lap or two. This basically meant that I was running out in front with no one to target so was gonna be harder though after the first lap I heard his voice behind me so I was expecting him to come by me so kinda lit a fire under me by having the thought of chasing pack hunting me down which made the pace similar to first rep.

2 laps in and he hopped in beside me. This really helped and I was able to maintain the pace first mile in 5.30 which was perfect, then second slightly off but still better than I expected. By the third mile however the legs were giving up on me. Pace slowed slightly and Tunguska took the lead. Had considered dropping out with 800 to go but began the bartering phase of training "Just make it to 1k (had been taking lap splits each mile so this would have been 4200m into the rep)" made it to there and was like "okay over half way it will get easier from here just make it to 1200m". 1200m came along and I was in the last lap so couldnt give up.

The pace had slowed a little but I was still on for roughly 5.35-5.40 so I was happy though none the less I started digging in and cranking it up. Surged a bit and just as began to pass Tunguska he would match me and I wouldnt be able to pass, I made a few attempts but to no avail. With 100m to go I was striding out and going as fast as I could within going into a sprint and managed to gain 2m.

Crossed the line and to my dismay heard Tunguska shout "1 more man come on" I started double checking the watch and thought for a second he was right but he had miscounted how many laps I had done before he started (though he finished the full rep himself fair play especially when he matched my surges in his 3rd last lap)

All in all really happy with how the session went the pace was a bit quicker than expected but trying to convert that Pace to the roads for a HM I would definitely lose a few seconds though none the less it was nice to be able to hit better times than expected. Had to leave for work straight after this section but fair play to the lads who had to continue on for another mile or two after

WTD 81.75 miles

• Advertisement

Sunday AM|Easy run|12 miles|7.11 mile pace|1.26.14

Just an easy one this morning. Legs were heavy from yesterdays session but I have a bit of time till my next session on Tuesday so will be grand come then. Headed up to Bournabreena waterworks for this run. Seeing as yesterday was purely flat was nice to throw in a few climbs in this run. Legs loosened out a bit as run went on but still fairly tired. Misjudged the distance of the loop slightly so ended up being 2 miles longer than I had planned but not to worried as will just account for that in this evenings run

Looking like my 1st 100 mile week also which is surprising as hadn't really planned it. I made two conscious attempts back in march to try and get that high but both failed despite being on training holidays and here I am back in work and I managed to hit it without even really trying. Main thing now is about maintaining training over the next few weeks though

WTD 93.75 miles

Advertisement