Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Sunday PM|Easy run|6.73 miles|7.38 mile pace|51.27

Met up with tRR for this one. Nothing too eventful and the pace was handy enough as the legs were still heavy especially after the 12 miles this morning.

All in all absolutely delighted to break the 100 miles for the first time. It was also nice that it came on a week where I had no intention of going near it the last two weeks have been more about getting consistent but due to better time management with regard to my doubles this was very manageable without having to live like a hermit

Weekly Mileage 100.48 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

10% RULE OUT THE WINDOW :D
    Good sessions with those miles there.
    When you racing next?

10% RULE OUT THE WINDOW :D
    Good sessions with those miles there.
    When you racing next?

Its only a guideline:D I stick to the 20 mile rule myself:p

Running in the National Leagues (Mazdas for the old heads :D) next weekend making my usually appearance in the Steeple then will prob hit a 10k in a few weeks time just for a run out before the National half but to be honest given the fact that I have only 5 weeks before ease off for that I probably wont be having a stab at one for a fast time and rather just train through for Athenry

Congrats on your races this week. Where was the 5k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ecoli wrote: »

Seriously I don't know how you do it. Any old punter can run a 100 miles a week if they put their mind to it. However, you have some serious sessions in there, not just junk miles. I'm suitably impressed and worried ;) Must remember to give you a kick in the knee next time I see you :D

TRR wrote: »
    Seriously I don't know how you do it. Any old punter can run a 100 miles a week if they put their mind to it. However, you have some serious sessions in there, not just junk miles. I'm suitably impressed and worried ;) Must remember to give you a kick in the knee next time I see you :D

Knew there was a reason you were looking to get the head down in training you want to be able to catch me to kick me :D

Ah well hopefully I can keep it up and remain consistent though I am starting to sleep like a baby as you said got 9 hours last night (normally about 6-7) and woke up feeling like I got hit by a shovel but hopefully that will pass:D

• Advertisement

Monday AM|Easy run|6.06 miles|6.55 mile pace|42.00

The clock reset for another week so it started all over again :D

Last night threw on the compression socks just to help freshen up the legs and seemed to do the job. Two smaller runs today just to allow the lads to recover properly given the fact I did 3 sessions in 4 days last week and have 2 sessions and a race this week. The tenderness of the hip after the dry needling on fri was finally gone and felt 100% so hopefully now address the cause of the problem to hopefully reduce any risk of injury in the future as the last thing I want is any sort of setback while training is going well

WTD 6.06 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Serious running there E.coli ! Great stuff.

Monday PM|Easy run|6.27 miles|6.49 mile pace|35.59

Just a handy one tonight to freshen up the legs. Pace was starting to drop a biit too much for my liking so I actively attempted to slow down as run went on thankfully though the wind helped me with this on the way back:p

The last mile ended up on the track where i decided to do a little bit of light turnover work. This is usually part of my warm up for sessions but none the less it was striding the straights and jogging the bends. I dunno what it is about the track but you just dont feel comfortable running easy on it so I felt good and strong during the strides

Tuesday|Tempo run|9.5 miles|6.37 mile pace|1.02.52

Session: 2 miles easy, 6.5 miles MP, 1 mile easy

6.5 miles in 40.31 (6.13 mile pace)
    splits:
    3.09 (.51 miles)

This was one of those days which didnt wanna go my way:rolleyes:. Will start with the self inflicted, about 4 hours sleep last night had me fairly wrecked today, though this was the least of my worries as I had to contend with warm humid windy conditions also.

First mile and already had a thirst in the back of my throat though despite this didnt feel too bad. The first two miles were fairly routine kept the pace nice and handy. Next two miles were another matter altogether. Normally these are tough miles anyway because they are climbs coming from Tymon park up through Kilnamanagh, it didnt help that on these miles I had the wind bang smack in my face. Despite this I managed to hold the pace fairly well though that voice which had been quiet all last week was now telling me to pack it in and that today is just not my day but I pushed on. Kept thinking if I managed to push past the wind it would be alright.

4th mile 6.20 thinking to myself not too bad give the conditions and the fact that my body was telling me this was like 5.30 pace with wind and hills and wasn't too far off turned onto the Belgard road and the pace for the 5th mile at the start was reading 5.40 so eased off a bit. Managed to compose myself again and got into a comfortable rhythm. The sheer jubilation of getting out of that wind was overpowering till I was reminded that that wind was the only thing cooling me down:D. I was overheated and the legs were feeling heavy. I had obviously worked a little too hard to maintain the pace rather than effort (rookie mistake i know but sometimes the inner kid's enthusiasm wants to get out and play:p)

Came past the 40 min mark and felt I had given it a solid effort and with the race at the weekend in mind I didnt wanna over do it and had planned cutting the mileage back a bit with the race anyway (nothing drastic)

Sign of improvement though as the last time I did this kinda tempo run I had to break it up into to segments reaching 7 miles, here I managed to get 6.5 in one solid effort so have to look on the bright side. Cant have every session go amazing just have to take the good with the bad.

Followed this up with Gym work (log to follow)

WTD 21.83 miles

Tuesday Weights

Exercise|Weight|Reps|Sets
    Bench Press|50kg |10|3|
    Squats|20kg excluding bar|10|3|
    Lat Pulldowns|50kg|10|3|
    Calf raises (with dumbells)|10kg|14|3|
    Bent over row|25kg excluding bar|10|3|
    Quad extensions|50kg|10|3|

After not making this session last week it was back to the strength work after the session. Given the mileage has been high I can't afford to neglect the supplimentary training and the extra attention to detail in staying on my feet.

The last three weeks sessions had been increasinng reps but this was increase in weight where the reps dropped back down. This is the way I intend on doing my progressions over 4 week cycles increase (3weeks reps/1 week weight)

Main focus on these is overall strength plan addressing some weakness areas

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Go on ya good thing :D

Nice one man, loads of quality there too. Best of luck in the steeple.

• Advertisement

Wednesday|Easy run|9.5 miles|7.23 mile pace|1.10.09

Down to Corkagh Park for this one and thankfully I had waited out the ran so managed to stay relatively dry (I know I am a big baby :D).Legs were heavy today so was taken it very handy. Body been sluggish all week and I have narrowed in down to three possible reasons

1) Mileage last week just has me tired
    2) 3 7am shifts in work in a row have taken me a while to get used to as I normally work later shifts and as such getting less sleep
    3) The fact that this is a cutback week between 3 weeks of consecutive mileage increase (60, 80, 100) and that I have a race means last three days have been singles and could be a case that my legs arent reacting that great as the AM runs normally loosen out the legs

All the same not too worried about it and I am sure I will come around just a matter of getting through it when you go through these bad patches (feeling rather than running as I am normal paces and normal effort levels)

WTD: 31.33 miles

Thursday|Session|12 miles||

Session:
    3 miles warm up and drills
    1 mile jog bends/stride straights
    4x1 mile w/2.30 recovery (jog 400m)
    3 miles cooldown

Splits: 5.22, 5.20, 5.22, 5.23

Coming off a stressful day in work feeling fairly tired I wasn't feeling great for this one. Half of me was thinking to opt for a light kinda shakeout session for the race at the weekend (usually my go to session in race weeks is 2s,4s,8,4s,2s) but as I am not targeting track and training through I HTFU and went with original session

First one was by far the hardest legs took a while to wake up but none the less was happy with the time. Thought to myself "if this feels this hard when I am fresh what are the next reps gonna be like:rolleyes:". Despite this however felt grand after the recovery and was off again. From here on in I had a bit of an incentive. There were two groups on the track running roughly 85 second laps so on a few occasions they started just before I came around so I ended up having someone to chase.

Finish the session happy enough. Left the last rep simply because I didnt wanna over do it with the race on Sunday as even though training through it Club is still relying on me so I dont wanna be pure flat on my feet and lose out on points

WTD: 43.33 miles

Friday AM|Easy Run|6 miles|7.31 mile pace|45.06

Very Sluggish and handy one this morning legs tired after the session last night so kept it handy

WTD: 49.33 miles

Saturday|Recovery Run|4 miles|9.07 mile pace|36.27

Just a handy one to loosen out the legs for tomorrow

WTD: 53.33 miles

The last round was the catalyst to getting back into shape so the last four weeks of solid training was a stark contrast the to abysmal build up to the first round. Having said that the legs had been sluggish all week despite two solid sessions so I think it was just down to tiredness from last weeks mileage.

Was down in Tullamore for this one and conditions were warm and windy. I didnt really know how this was gonna go especially given that I have not raced while fit in a few months. The plan was to go out in 85s and see how long I could hold on for and try get as close to 10.35 (my PB as possible)

Toed the line to see a large field of quality runners (Timmaay and a few other lads I ran with in college as well as a few other strong runners that I recognised) First lap went oout and I sat in around 7th place for the 1st 100m however didnt feel comfortable in a bunched group so went to the outside and pushed up the field to behind the leading group. Over the first barrier to receive a flailing arm to the face (for the second race in a row:rolleyes:) however didnt phase me and pushed on behind the top two. I was feeling good and didnt mind taking the wind.

Hit the 400 mark to hear the splits called out "80-81". A bit fast I thought to myself however given the first 200m there are no barriers the first lap is always gonna be naturally a bit faster. My hurdle technique was pretty good and I was positioning myself well coming up to each barrier (running a little wide so I had a good line of sight on the barriers). 2nd lap and I was 2.40 so managing to keep strong. The mile rep session from Thursday came to mind thinking that If I could do 4 miles at that pace with shorter recoveries why not 3k over barriers.

1st km again even split at 3.20 and I was delighted it was 10 seconds faster than I had been the previous round at this point. Also kept reminding myself that with the miles putting in I had the strength in my legs, that was my weapon so I needed to just keep churning out high effort level to try outlast the others behind me and hopefully gain on the leaders. At 1200 again the splits were perfect, 4 min on the button.

After this though the inevitable happened, 10 min pace was just not sustainable. Started slowly hitting 1600m at 5.23 but the next lap I started hurting. A few from field were starting to pass me. I was slowing but not drastically as I had 4 weeks before. Came to 800m to go and as I lined up my jump a Leevale athlete cut across me in mid jump. I thought I was gone as I was about to hit the back of him but natural instinct kicked in and the foot came down on the barrier. It completely broke my rhythm but kept me in the race so its all I could do. Came to the next barrier however and wasnt letting him try it again and passed him coming up the to barrier.

With 400m to go Timmaay passed me. Half of me was thinking okay he is a 4.10 1500m guy recently dont be too upset and the other was saying "DONT YOU DARE LET HIM BEAT YOU" competitive nature seems to always crop up more with friends and (ex) training partners

200m to go and I pushed hard. Had a good last water jump and drived on from there to try and make up for the positions I lost. Thought I had Timmaay but he had gotten away from me. Looked down at the watch to see...................

Delighted with this as it was a 45 second improvement on this race from just over a month ago (willing to take doping tests just in case anyone wants to get skeptical:D)

Not only this but it is an 8 second PB which was really surprising as I didnt think I would be anywhere near it despite having some really good sessions of late. 3rd PB of the year and 1st track one (and probably only one as I doubt I will have another track race this year) Back to the heavy slog now for a month block of heavy training before easing up for Athenry

Weekly mileage 61.33 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Awesome race ecoli, well done on that pb. Great report to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Over the first barrier to receive a flailing arm to the face (for the second race in a row:rolleyes:)

I'll take credit for the 1st flailing arm :D! But yep, well done yday, it was a fun race, I was not confident at all beforehand and took it fairly easy 1st few laps, I really didn't know if I would get back to ya, thankfully my hurdle technique seems to be improving (well I'm not wasting as much energy over them at the very least!), all the 15/800 training was always going to leave me with a decent kick at the finish, but still, I laid all the cards on the table at 500m to go and kicked by ya hard enough hopefully that I could break you early, it only just paid off, it was a long 500m with 5 barriers to lug myself over!

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'll take credit for the 1st flailing arm :D! But yep, well done yday, it was a fun race, I was not confident at all beforehand and took it fairly easy 1st few laps, I really didn't know if I would get back to ya, thankfully my hurdle technique seems to be improving (well I'm not wasting as much energy over them at the very least!), all the 15/800 training was always going to leave me with a decent kick at the finish, but still, I laid all the cards on the table at 500m to go and kicked by ya hard enough hopefully that I could break you early, it only just paid off, it was a long 500m with 5 barriers to lug myself over!

With your 1500m speed and a bit of technique you could certainly do damage in the steeple hope to see you back out there next year at it:D

Fair play again man great running yesterday

Monday AM|Easy run|9.03 miles|7.46 mile pace|1.10.19

Back to business this morning as I enter a heavy block of training for next few weeks before tapering off for Athenry. Met up with TRR for this one but after the race yesterday plus a new core workout I havent done in months last night the lower and upper legs were definitely feeling it so the pace was slow. Didnt help having such a strong wind heading around there today

WTD: 9.03 miles

Tuesday|Session|13.5 miles||

Session:
    3.12 miles warm up,
    1 mile jog bends/stride straights + drills
    24x200m w 200m jog (65 sec)
    3.12 miles cooldown

Splits:
    33, 33, 33, 33, 33, 33, 33, 34, 33, 34, 33, 33,
    33, 33, 33, 33, 33, 34, 33, 33, 33, 33, 33, 30

Session 3 weeks ago
    Session:
    3 miles easy,
    drills, 1 mile jog bends/ stride straights
    2x (12x200m w/ jog 200 rec (65-70 sec) 2 min rec between sets

Splits:
    (32, 34, 33, 33, 33, 33, 33, 33, 34, 33, 33, 34)
    (33, 34, 35, 34, 34, 34, 35, 34, 34, 34, 34, 32)

This was the most enjoyable run that I have had in I dunno how long. Don't get me wrong its not as if I wasn't enjoying my running but usually it was a case of enjoying running well or focusing on training hard. Today I was in a childish mood. The warm up flew in and during the drills I was practically dancing in between drills despite body feeling like crap and weather matching how the body felt. Despite this I could not think of a place I would rather have been I was enjoying just the essence of running and the sport as cheesy as that sounds. I spent years focusing on enjoying improvement was nice to take a step back and enjoy the sport in its purest form

Come the reps despite the carefree attitude it was down to business. Was delighted it went really well first 5 or 6 reps were comfortable. By half way though I was working hard to maintain the times. Was delighted with the consistency.

As these sessions have gone one week after week that small voice in my head that is usually telling me to quit is getting quieter each rep and even today was only a half hearted attempt to get me to stop. By the last three I was tired but still working well. Come the last one I was gonna dig in to run sub 33 as that is what I was averaging so worked hard off the bend and the last 100m I let loose and was surprised to me able to manage a 30 split. Its a solid improvement both in strength and speed compared to the same session I did 3 weeks ago

WTD 22.53 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What kind of distance/event is that training suitable for? Presumably more aimed at shorter/sharper stuff?

What kind of distance/event is that training suitable for? Presumably more aimed at shorter/sharper stuff?

Tbh this is more HM based. Though it it short reps the short recovery and qhigh reps means that it is working on fatigue resistance.

Currently working off alot of Mark Hadley's methodology

Wednesday|Easy run|4.71 miles|7.26 mile pace|35.00

Was out Tuesday night and despite having a few drinks and being wrecked got out in the morning was shattered in the evening. In hindsight getting out early was probably a bad idea because once the tiredness kicked in in the evening with work and everything the next day became a write off and from there had a bit of a snowball effect and didnt get out for the next few days:(

After giving myself a kick in the backside though got started back this week and hopefully that blip will get it out of my system and get the head down for the next month after which taper off for Athenry

Monday |Easy run|6.08 miles|7.16 mile pace|44.12

Legs Fresh after the few days off took the first few miles very handy and from there dropped the pace a little in the second half of the run

Tuesday AM |Easy run|6.11 miles|7.02 mile pace|42.54

Tuesday PM |Session|11.45 miles|6.59 mile pace|1.20.00

Session 3 miles easy, 5x1 mile w/ 1 min jog rec, 3 miles easy

Splits: 5.37, 5.39, 5.33, 5.48, 5.45

Was supposed to do this in the morning but with the swimming on this morning decided to fit in a short run and I would run home and cover the session killing two birds with one stone however after work realised I had forgot my runners at home so had to drive home and then head out taking up an extra half hour so it was 10.30 by the time I got out. Decided to do this on a 3 mile loop by the house which is relatively flat with some very subtle climbs. The first two reps were into the wind and in hindsight I was probably working a little too hard to hit the paces. Next one had the wind on my back and had to force myself to slow down as I was in the 5.20s. Last two and was back into the wind and I was hurting. The subtle inclines were not feeling as subtle this time still I dug in and managed to keep them under 5.50 which was my bail out pace (effectively this is my previous HM PB pace but as I plan on going under this I was making sure to stay under it. All in all happy with this as I averaged about 5.42 which is decent considering the wind. These next few weeks are going to have alot of HM work thrown in so still a way to go yet to get the strength to hit 13 of these with no breaks in between

WTD: 23.64 miles

Wednesday AM |Easy Run|4.5 miles|7.26 mile pace|33.26
    Wednesday PM |Easy Run|4.18 miles|7.30 mile pace|31.20

I dunno whether it was not eating enough today or dehydration (lots of coffee with little water) but the evening run I got very light headed. Was supposed to do a fair bit more but to be honest I struggled to get the half hour in. Was one of the hardest runs I have ever had to do

Thursday AM |Easy Run|6.01 miles|7.15 mile pace|43.33

A pig out of Peanut butter on toast last night and alot of water seemed to have me back to normal so I put it down to just not monitoring nutrition enough yesterday. Felt back to normal this morning and toddled along with a run to loosen out the legs before a session tomorrow. Had to fight the temptation to hop a fence and confront a group of scumbags who proceeded to launch rocks at me for second time on the same stretch of road in recent weeks :mad::mad: (KC if you are planning on doing any sessions along the new road up by the Luas stop that is the one I am talking about so keep an eye out as the rocks being thrown are about the size of your fist so would do damage if hit)

WTD: 38.33 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Had to fight the temptation to hop a fence and confront a group of scumbags who proceeded to launch rocks at me for second time on the same stretch of road in recent weeks :mad::mad: (KC if you are planning on doing any sessions along the new road up by the Luas stop that is the one I am talking about so keep an eye out as the rocks being thrown are about the size of your fist so would do damage if hit)

That was me and my mates. Don't warn KC it was him he were waiting for, we just used you as target practice :)

Yeah some right dodgy gits down that way, the stories I could tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for the tip ecoli. I thought you'd know all the dodgy gits around that area! Haven't been out that way recently, as haven't been doing many interval sessions, but I'll have a few coming up. The new'ish road up towards Adamstown (from 9th Lock Road) seems like a good alternative. Just shy of a mile, very quiet, no junctions, and a good smooth unused cycle track. Just don't tell TRR and his scumbag mates. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Had to fight the temptation to hop a fence and confront a group of scumbags who proceeded to launch rocks at me for second time on the same stretch of road in recent weeks :mad::mad:

WTD: 38.33 miles

Little scrotes are everywhere. Roll on September.

Thursday PM |Session|9.5 miles||

Session:

3.12 miles easy
    Drills + 1 mile jog bends/stride straights
    2x1200m + 600m with 3 min rec (400 jog rec)
    3.12 miles easy

Splits: 4.01, 4.01, 2.04

Got down to the track late enough due to a delayed airport run for the family and paid for it in terms of the 1st two lanes being blocked off and with sprinters from lane 5 out and a recoveries being jogged in lane 4 meant it was a bit of a disaster.

Knew the distances was gonna be off so I adjusted the time expectations and was figuring around 4 flat would be solid but to be honest after the first one I was feeling that it was tough between the wind and the bobbing and weaving. After two I was done completely fried and struggled to hit 2.04 for 600m in the third

A bad session but just have to put it behind me as a blip

WTD: 47.83 miles

Friday|Easy Run|4.91miles|6.49 mile pace|33.51

Planned on doing a second run today but to be honest body wasn't feeling great and it would have served no purpose other than tack on a few miles for the log and got more benefit from resting up and getting a good night sleep after work

Saturday |Long Run Session|21 miles|6.49 mile pace|2.23.14

Session:

4.67 miles easy (7.22 mile pace),
    2 x 2 miles Tempo w/3 min rec, (10.56 - 5.26, 5.30) (10.55 - 5.24, 5.31)
    7.31 miles easy (7.09 mile pace),
    3 mile tempo (17.16 - 5.39, 5.52, 5.45),
    1.73 miles easy (8.11 mile pace)

Met up with KC and Tunguska for this one similar to last time. This was tough no doubt about it. Wind was a nightmare and by the time I got around to the second tempo section the legs were tight. Dug in and just aimed to keep the second ones under previous PB pace and thankfully managed to dig in the last mile to find something else when I was fit to call it a day.

I wouldn't be able to handle Daniels training week in week out but its great to throw this kinda session in once every few weeks as its great for strength

WTD73.74 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Session:

4.67 miles easy (7.22 mile pace),
    2 x 2 miles Tempo w/3 min rec, (10.56 - 5.26, 5.30) (10.55 - 5.24, 5.31)
    7.31 miles easy (7.09 mile pace),
    3 mile tempo (17.16 - 5.39, 5.52, 5.45),
    1.73 miles easy (8.11 mile pace)

:eek::eek::eek:

Jeez that's some session fair play, should get some benefit from that.

Advertisement