Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

In fairness to ya lad you're working hard. Rio ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

BobMac104 wrote: »
    In fairness to ya lad you're working hard. Rio ?

Will be there (Provided there not the same difficulty in getting tickets :D)

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Sunday AM|Easy Run|4.75 miles|7.20 mile pace|34.50

Was working till half 12 last night. Three hours sleep and back up for an airport run with a fair bit of confusion was near 7.30 by time I got back to sleep for bit to wake up a bit before the Marathon (just in time to lose money on Keitany)

Out on my lunchbreak from work. Was worried as I have a bit of a pain in the midfoot which crept up in the easy 1hr yesterday but thankfully was grand while I was running today so I dont think it was what I initially feared. Will head out for a few more easy miles later to loosen out the legs after the athletics

WTD: 78.49 miles

Monday|Weight session|||

Tuesday|OFF|||

Wednesday|Easy Run|2.75 miles|7.17 mile pace|20.04
    Wednesday|Cycling session|||1.00.00

Session: 20 min easy, 2x8 min hard w/ 2 min easy, 20 min easy

Training has not gone to date since the weekend. Basically that foot problem has not gone away and given that I have a sneaking suspicion that it is a stress reaction I have had to limit my running big time. Booked in with Vinny Fri morning just to rule out muscular things first as I could be assuming the worst and getting it wrong though all the same I am quite worried so have had to take this serious and back off training. Gonna stick to the bike and pool as after testing it this morning after two days rest it was still there by the end of the run which not a good sign:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Pool and bike?? :D That's dark side talk. ;)
    Mind your foot....I hope it's better.

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Pool and bike?? :D That's dark side talk. ;)
    Mind your foot....I hope it's better.

Cross training dont worry I will never join the dark side even if I have to do aqua jogging:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I am enjoying your marathon training sessions - I like your approach to and logic about certain things. If I make it into Boston, I may have to have a closer look at your plan for my own purposes.

sorry to hear about the foot. hope it heals quick for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Sorry to hear that ecoli. Rest up and hopefully it will clear.

Thursday AM|Cycling|9.87 miles|4.59 mile pace|49.14
    Thursday PM|Cycling|9.78 miles|5.01 mile pace|48.32

Left the car at home and borrowed the bike for in and out to work (plus a little bit extra just to make up a bit of extra work). Kept the gears in the mid range so that I could keep the cadence high to give me a solid enough bit of cross training.

This morning was down with Vinny just to get it checked out and make sure its actually skeletal and not muscular problem with the foot before I forked out for a scan. The news was good :D Though he couldnt have been certain there no stress reaction without a scan he was fairly confident it was just inflamed fascia. Bit of dry needling and massaging and taped it up so now just have to ice it for the rest of the day and should be back training tomorrow. It is a relief to hear that Athenry is still 90% still on.

Also spent a bit of time trying to find the root of the problem and I think it was obvious enough that given I did a few more runs in my flats than normal last week (including a 20+ mile run) I think its safe to say that my T5 flats have run their course. In fairness I have had them a few years but they were just such a great racer I didnt wanna give them up. Will have to bin them now and probably try the T7s.

All in all positive news making it a very good day:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Ecoli, delighted for you thats its not as bad as you though...hope the run tomorrow shows thats its better for you...more dry needling:eek: ouch!!!

Younganne wrote: »
    Ecoli, delighted for you thats its not as bad as you though...hope the run tomorrow shows thats its better for you...more dry needling:eek: ouch!!!

I know I am a glutton for punishment:D

Tbh the pain was never that bad that it stopped me running it was just a case of me thinking it was a stress reaction that I knew any running was out even easy running if that was the case because it only would have made things worse and kept me off my feet for alot longer

Friday|Cycling|10.06 miles|4.33 mile pace|45.48

Hopefully the last of my cross training days:D. As I had the day off I decided to hit Corkagh park as there is a closed off cycle loop there that I have been meaning to measure out for reps to get off the track in terms of Tempo reps etc. Was great to not have to stop for traffic lights etc and the weather was amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ecoli wrote: »

Hopefully the last of my cross training days:D. As I had the day off I decided to hit Corkagh park as there is a closed off cycle loop there that I have been meaning to measure out for reps to get off the track in terms of Tempo reps etc. Was great to not have to stop for traffic lights etc and the weather was amazing

I have seen that track too and am curious. How much does it measure?

menoscemo wrote: »
    I have seen that track too and am curious. How much does it measure?

.67 on the garmin around (got this on 4 different laps splits) there are a few inner loops that can add to that though and I reckon you can get close to a mile taking the additional loops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ecoli wrote: »
    .67 on the garmin around (got this on 4 different laps splits) there are a few inner loops that can add to that though and I reckon you can get close to a mile taking the additional loops

Nice one. I am sure you could also make a nice 1k loop out of it.

Saturday|Easy Run|6 miles|7.07 mile pace|42.23

While not quite pain free this was a good run. Hopefully this will subside in the next few days but thankfully i know that I am not making it worse by running on it but sure its all good just glad to be back running

Sunday|Steadyish Run|6 miles|6.40 mile pace|40.00

Solid run and felt pretty strong. Pushed the pace a little just to test the foot. The pain was still there a despite a bit of icing but it has improved a bit the last few days and it didnt get worse with the increase in pace which was an optimistic sign. Will resume full training again tomorrow though.

A grand total of 15 miles this week though despite this I maintained the cross training rather than sitting around on my arse for the week with close to 40 miles cycling (not that much but better than nothing)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

when i got injured i just sat around feeling sorry for myself but i could learn alot from yourself,keep up the great work your doing,respect

when i got injured i just sat around feeling sorry for myself but i could learn alot from yourself,keep up the great work your doing,respect

Likewise I could learn from your log instead of making excuses for "life" getting in the way of getting all training runs done.

• Advertisement

Monday AM|Easy Run|9.96 miles|6.56 mile pace|1.09.04

Headed out for usual 6 miler AM run with the plan in doing about 8 or so tonight got to three miles and decided it probably suit better to do 7 and 7. Came to five miles and again had this nagging voice saying ah sure you may aswell keep going so in the words of Robert Frost "I took the road less travelled". The little voice in my head must have missed running because normally he is the one telling me to stop or cut it short:D.
    Toddled along feeling quite comfortable and by the time I got caught with a shower that soaked me to the skin I was already content with the run so didnt bother me. The foot has also greatly improved and been reduced to a minor discomfort which is barely noticeable so I reckon with one or two more icing sessions should be all good.

Monday PM|Easy Run|4.55 miles|7.09 mile pace|32.34

Full day of athletics today as went down to the club tonight to give a hand out with the kids coach (though was more an observing role tonight) I have the level one coaching done so long its about time I finally put it to use. After this was straight home and out the door for my own run. It could have just been the fact that was first double and the run this morning was longer than I have done for a bit but got a little bit of a dizzy spell however this soon passed and was grand

Back to sessions tomorrow which should be interesting to say the least:rolleyes:

WTD: 14.01 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Fair play for getting out and starting coaching, you are just the sort of person that is needed.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Fair play for getting out and starting coaching, you are just the sort of person that is needed.

To be honest it has been my intention for a while however Shift work plays havoc with any sort of commitment which in one sense is not fair on the kids but am in the process of attempting to rectify the shift work problem over the next year hopefully

Tuesday AM|Session|11 miles||

Session:
    2.5 miles warm up,
    drills + 1 mile jog bends/stride straights
    5000m alternation (80-85 sec laps/ 90-95 sec laps), 3 min 30 rec, 3000 alternation

Splits:

5000m: 18.10 - 5.51 mile pace
    (92, 80, 93, 79, 93, 80, 93, 80, 95, 80, 92, 82, 44)

3000m: 11.09 - 5.59 mile pace
    (95, 84, 90, 81, 95, 84, 96, 40)

These are always a tough session simply because the aim is to try and tire the legs and work on lactate clearance. It didnt help that this was first session back and it was warm as hell on the track. I struggled a bit with the pace fluctations on the slower segments in the first rep but the quicker ones were pretty much spot on simply because I am used to running at this pace on track

In the second rep was where this really got tough I dug in as best I could but the rule with this session is if you fall outside the pace brackets you pull the plug and when I hit the 1.36 I knew I was done. I did the 200m extra just to make the 3000m. All in all I can live with that as first session back as its never an easy session at the best of times and the splits are hard to judge by simply because the pace changes can effect this so not always an indication of the fitness

WTD: 25.01 miles

interesting session, what kind of pace (5k 10k?) pace should the alternating 400s be done at?

what i mean is, what pace is 80-85 sec pace to you and what is 90-95 sec pace to you? does that make sense?

BobMac104 wrote: »
    interesting session, what kind of pace (5k 10k?) pace should the alternating 400s be done at?

what i mean is, what pace is 80-85 sec pace to you and what is 90-95 sec pace to you? does that make sense?

It would be 5-10k pace for the fast sections and just under to MP for the slower. The aim is to dip over and under your lactate threshold (i.e generate more lactate and then your body tries to clear it quicker) aiming to make your body more efficient

Here is an article which might help explain the idea behind them a bit better

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=22359

Wednesday |Easy Run|6.08 miles|7.17 mile pace|44.47

Was very late getting this one in so kept it short and handy as had a session with the OAP (tRR) Thursday morning.:D

Thursday |Session|11.26 miles||

Session: 2 miles easy, 4x2 mile @ HMP w/ 3 min rec, 1 mile easy

Splits:
    11.14 (5.34, 5.39)
    11.26 (5.41, 5.45)
    11.32 (5.45, 5.47)
    11.35 (5.46, 5.49)

Met up with tRR and a few others out in Maynooth for this session. The lads opted out so it was just the two of us. Ended up doing them along the canal. First one was handy enough though this was probably down to wind on our backs a bit (well from what we could gather as it took alot to figure out as was swirling a bit)
    Second one and we were still in a good rhythm. Second mile was slightly slower due to having to double back on ourselves. Things were going well in the session but that was the easy part as now we had turned back and had the wind on our face.
    Just before the end of the first mile on the third rep I was thinking to myself "these are flying in" and even though I was not too bad however I was soon to be proven wrong. We amended the route taking in a sharp little climb up onto the bridge and headed for the South Campus. We made back time lost on this climb though by the time I got to the Campus I just kept looking at the watch waiting for the rep to end (which never seemed to be getting any nearer).
    Last rep and i knew this was gonna be hard. Get started and surpisingly the pace was not too bad at the start but the legs were heavy. tRR made the decision that he was only doing one here and I was half thinking to myself ah sure might as well do the same but I decided to push on. After he dropped off though I struggled but time and I saw the pace creeping its way up into the mid 5.50s. Thankfully at this stage saw someone I actually knew and decided to dig in. Was practically at a sprint to get the pace back down (its amazing how much energy you can find when you dont want someone to see you dying a death) finished and a very very handy run back to the campus.

All in all happy with the session and is exactly what I need 2 weeks prior to the Half

WTD42.27 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Hey Ecoli, I notice that you'd get 2 sessions done in a day (am and pm). Do you find that it has brought you on? Would doing doubles involve just 2 normal runs or would ya do an easy+hard session in 1 day? Am toying with the idea of running to work and running home(both easy runs) 1 day a week and seeing how it goes....

• Advertisement

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Hey Ecoli, I notice that you'd get 2 sessions done in a day (am and pm). Do you find that it has brought you on? Would doing doubles involve just 2 normal runs or would ya do an easy+hard session in 1 day? Am toying with the idea of running to work and running home(both easy runs) 1 day a week and seeing how it goes....

What I have found is that your body recovers alot better after hard sessions. since I have started with the doubles I have found that I very rarely am sore the day after a session (though you still get the heaviness depending on the session)

I started off just adding 3-4 miles in teh mornings but got to the point where can now do full hour runs as doubles and is beneficial. I would say that 1 day a week and buld from there is a good approach. This week has been bit lower with mileage but this was down to coming back from injury last week.

The days of sessions I often find a morning run loosens out the legs bit time also and feel better for it in the session

Advertisement