Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

when i stop doing the long stuff and want to concentrate on the faster races i will be getting plenty of advice from ya about the sessions you do,savage sessions your doing,fair play to ya,keep up the great work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Friday |OFF|||

Foot a little swollen again so took the day off and alot of icing. I am in a bit of an awkward spot at the moment. I know taken a bit of time off and icing etc would clear this fully but being so close to National Half I have to maintain fitness till then and then focus on healing up the week after. It is not stopping me running but let it get bad and could ruin the race

Saturday |Easy Run|6.12 miles|7.15 mile pace|44.54

Just a handy one to loosen out the legs for a long session tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

oof, a fine line alright. Is the national half a A goal race? If not its perhaps a dangerous game to play. Lot of stress on the foot in a raced half....

Hope it behaves itself so that you can keep it under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

ecoli wrote: »

Foot a little swollen again so took the day off and alot of icing. I am in a bit of an awkward spot at the moment. I know taken a bit of time off and icing etc would clear this fully but being so close to National Half I have to maintain fitness till then and then focus on healing up the week after. It is not stopping me running but let it get bad and could ruin the race

Is a few days biking an option?

oof, a fine line alright. Is the national half a A goal race? If not its perhaps a dangerous game to play. Lot of stress on the foot in a raced half....

Hope it behaves itself so that you can keep it under control.

Its a fairly important race not a personal A goal race as it was a short term target to keep me focused and get me back in full training after a May and June which were terrible in terms of training (which it has as there was a huge improvement as the last 10 weeks have been a solid improvement and even got an unexpected PB in the process)
    This race is more to do with club team. I know health comes first but it is only a mild discomfort rather than a an out and out unbearable pain and doesnt affect my running too much I just took the odd day this week to ice it and ease off without compromising training too much if that makes sense. Again not ideal and it probably would have cleared had I been icing it the week I took off before I saw Vinny but I had convinced myself that it was bone related rather than muscle inflammation

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Is a few days biking an option?

I have done this before it the build up to my first half and managed to get away with it as it was a few weeks out however I think that it is not specific enough this close to the Race (2 weeks). If I were to do that I know myself that the legs would take a few days to adjust back to running off the bike which would be in the week leading up to the race which is not ideal.

• Advertisement

Sunday |Long Tempo Run|15 miles|6.37 mile pace|1.39.32

Session: 3 miles easy, 10 miles tempo, 2 miles easy

Splits:

10 miles in 60.53 (6.05 mile pace)

Got home from work today absolutely exhausted (With the football back this week meant we were flat out the last two days) so after the dinner I said would watch a bit of tv while the food was digesting. 2 hours later woke up and had nearly slept out any chance of getting out for a run. Headed out and felt groggy as hell. Legs felt crap during the warm up I was convinced there was no way in hell I would get this session done. I considered changing it to 2x5 miles with recovery in between and even 3 x 5k instead but I knew that I hadn't had a sustained long tempo in a long while so I just said I would see how it went.

The target pace was 6.15 (roughly MP effort) and I have a 4 mile loop with very little stoppages for traffic lights so said I would do it on that as it meant I was never too far from the house either (Yes I really was feeling that lazy and bad at the start:o). Took off on the first mile and half way through the watch was still reading in the 6.30s I knew I was feeling bad but I was shocked I couldn't even get the legs going enough to hit one mile at MP. About half way into the mile though and turned a corner (both literally and figuratively). With all the worry about how I was feeling I had completely ignored the head wind and the pace shot down and I was running comfortably. From here I was starting to feel good and the legs loosened out. As I went on the pace was feeling very comfortable and slowly started to increase without too much extra effort.

I felt like I could go forever at 6.10 pace. Then after seven I was in such a rhythm and with less light I didn't see the pace on the watch. It was only when I came under a street light was shocked to see 5.45. Admittedly I felt there was an increased effort hear so eased off a small bit but decided to aim to maintain sub six for the last three. Was delighted with the effort on this one and happy that the foot had no major ill effects so very positive session will ice and stretch anyway though just for precaution

Weekly Mileage: 63.27 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Monster of a run!

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Monster of a run!

Cheers I am in two minds though as to my race shape. Though sessions have been going very well the last few weeks I am wary of the fact that my fitness is based off the last 8 weeks and before that had feck all so part of me is thinking that come race day I could be lacking a bit but I guess will see in two weeks I guess

whats the goal? 75min or so?

whats the goal? 75min or so?

I dont think in shape to hit that if I am honest with myself though would be happy with anything under 77 (PB). At the end of the day this race was always just a short term target to get me back on track after 2 horrific months of laziness

• Advertisement

that session must give you a good bit of confidence though. ~13sec a mile off HMP (77min) for 10miles?

that session must give you a good bit of confidence though. ~13sec a mile off HMP (77min) for 10miles?

To be honest 77 is an afterthought at this stage. I was in shape to break it last year in Waterford (2nd every HM to race) but made a balls of the race (literally jogged at 8 min mile pace for 300m before realising the race had started and the next 1300m was @ 5.20ish pace) This hurt me big time and I suffered on the climbs as a result. despite that have pushed on again in terms of fitness but I am just a little wary given the early summer training. Ideally I think should be able to hold 5.45 pace and see from there depending on the course profile etc

Best of luck with it.

Monday |Easy Run|6 miles|N/A mile pace|N/A

It was only when I was getting ready for training that I realised I left my gear in work. Had to go rooting for old shoes to run in and didnt have Garmin so I just stuck to my known route and kept it handy

Tuesday |Session|10 miles|N/A mile pace|N/A

Session 2.5 miles, 4x1 mile, 4x400 2.5 miles (recovery average 4 min 30)

Splits:
    1 miles: 5.08, 5.11, 5.22, 5.19
    400s 68, 67, 68, 68

Did this with Tunguska and Cwgatling. As we came to the end of the warm up got caught in the most almightly thunder storm so took shelter and waited for it to pass when it did we had blazing sunshine and I ended up in a singlet (talk about crazy weather:rolleyes:)

First rep and I tuck in behind Tunguska as we went off. The legs werent fully loose and probably should have eased into the session more but with the long recoveries I wanted to push it hard. The second rep and after a lacing mishap costing Tunguska a few seconds I was out in front and it was here I was noticing the wind was pretty bad worked hard to try and maintain pace.

Next one and I managed to get to 800m on pace but as soon as I lost a few meters on Tunguska and the legs went. I struggled through to come across the line in 5.22 (the wind and effort had really taken there toll)

The next one was last mile so I dug in but it followed a similar pattern as the third. I was losing alot of ground in the third laps and the legs were gone. Thankfully the presence of the lads helped me to dig in to finish and was happy enough to hold the pace on the last one.

Legs were hurting at this stage but thankfully the hardest part was done as the 400ms had the same long reps it was just a matter of working on form while tired.

This was were I took the front having the bit more speed than the lads who are in marathon training. Took off on the first one and despite the legs being heavy I was going well. Hit the 200m in 33s though was unable to hold that and was battling hard into the wind on the back straight. Was talking to the lads after the rep and they were saying the same thing that they were losing about 2 seconds into the wind.

As these rolled on I was flat out on these working hard but the legs just having no more to give which was evident in the last rep when I went all or nothing and only managed to maintain the pace.

All in all happy with the session as it was a good blowout with all the more HM based stuff of last week. Fair play to the lads who were both flying on the session and held paces alot better than me

Wednesday AM|Easy Run|4.5 miles|7.12 mile pace|32.24

Really hating this crazy weather. Was an amazing day today until about an hour ago got hit with a shower. Held off the run till it passed and gave it a while and was beautiful again. When I left the garmin on the window sill to get signal feeling how hot it got thought singlet and shades would be a good move. Needless to say when I got about half a mile into my run I see another shower heading my way and knew I was gonna look like a right plank.

The mad looks I got for a person running in shorts singlet and shades in the lashings of rain were pretty funny and one old woman at the bus stop shouted some comment though with the headphones in didnt hear what it was. At about mile three sun came back out but still look like a tool being soaked to the skin like a drowned cat.

Would take constant rain any day at least then you can come prepared:D

Wednesday PM|Easy Run|6 miles|7.12 mile pace|43.16

Been a while since I doubled but with only low miles wasnt too bad just to help speed up the recovery from yesterdays session as I have my last key session tomorrow before Athenry and the one which will give me a good indication of what the target will be come next week.

Today was also a handy day as I have a 9 day stretch in work between tomorrow and next weekend. Its not ideal but to get the weekend off for the National half meant a monday to fri so I get the chance to rest up the day before.

Thursday |Session|15 miles|N/A mile pace|N/A

Session: 3 mile warm up, drills + 1 mile jog bends + stride straights
    3 x 3 miles @ HMP w/ 3 min rec (jog 400m rec)
    1.5 miles cooldown

Splits

17.07 @ 5.42 mile pace (5.43, 5.41, 5.42)
    17.09 @ 5.43 mile pace (5.43, 5.43, 5.42)
    17.07 @ 5.42 mile pace (5.43, 5.44, 5.39)

Last big session before the wind down for Athenry next week and had one of my favourite indicator sessions with this 3x3 mile. Recoveries were the same for the two miles so I knew it was gonna be tough but if I got through it this would have me ready for Sunday week. Also had to break in the Brooks T7s which I had bought down in B2R this morning from Thirstywork2

First one was relatively comfortable though the last mile was a little tough though that is normal given three miles and had to contend with a bit of a wind (when do you not have to on the Tallaght track in fairness.

Come the 400m jog recovery I was almost feeling it was a little long and was ready to go again after 2 and half min but curbed the enthusiasm as I knew the second rep was where it was gonna get difficult. Was working hard enough to hold the pace but thankfully was managing to hold the pace without having to run flat out.

Come the last rep and I was getting tired. This is where this session is great as it replicates the tired legs in the later stages a race. The usual doubts crept into my head and trying to barter with myself in cutting it short to a 2 miler in this rep and how that would give me the same distance as last weeks session. I dug in and come the last eight hundred made an effort to start winding it up. Not a finishing kick per say just simply winding it up in a long sustained kick. Was delighted with the fact that the last mile was my fastest of the day.

All in all I am delighted with how the session went and how strong I feel. I think this session confirms my target of a sub 76 in Athenry hopefully all things going well the aim will be to go for 5.45 pace.

The only worry I have now is that the foot was quite sore after the session though given that I have had 3 sessions in 5 days could have contributed to that and the fact that I am winding it down now with no big sessions between now and then hopefully should give it a chance to rest up a bit and hopefully be grand on the day. Will also be back to Vinny to get a bit of a rub before the race and can get the foot checked out again

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SamAllardyce

Great session should be well able to give that pace a lash in the half :)....any races planned following on from this throughout the winter months?

Great session should be well able to give that pace a lash in the half :)....any races planned following on from this throughout the winter months?

Will look to XC for the winter and have a few races in mind (Star of the Sea, Dublin Novice/intermediate/senior)

Friday |Easy Run|6.12 miles|7.35 mile pace|46.46

Was out last night for a leaving due in work. First time drinking in a while so even though only had a few drinks I was groggy enough today. Thankfully I had agreed to meet Travers and Vinny for a run at 10am so dragged myself out of the bed and out the door. Was not a pretty one but had to be done and glad of the company for motivation.

• Advertisement

Saturday |Easy Run|5.5 miles|7.03 mile pace|38.44

Back entirely on the grass for this one. With the way the foot has been the last while the last two days I have made an active effort to do all my running on grass. As I am starting to wind things up I am focus on the little things to allow by body go into next weeks race 100%

Sunday |Easy Run|12.01 miles|7.09 mile pace|1.25.55

Decided to throw this on a hilly loop just so the legs didnt get a shock next week on any climbs. Last thing I want is for the legs to panic and work too hard too early. Despite this the run was very handy and felt I was toddling along for most of it. Legs are starten to freshen up nicely now and light session tomorrow night and then a taper session Thursday will be the only two bits of quality this week the rest will be very handy

Total Weekly mileage: 65.17 miles

Monday|Session|8 miles| N/A mile pace|N/A

Session
    1.5 miles easy, drills + 800m jog bends/stride straights
    2 x (4x1k @ HMP with 200m jog rec (55 sec) ) 3 min rec between sets (600m jog)
    1 mile easy

Splits:
    3.31, 3.32, 3.33, 3.35
    3.35, 3.32, 3.34, 3.35

Everything about this session was lax. Started off with my drills in a torrential downpour which was just what I needed to turn the session into a bit of a resistance workout as by the end of the shower my t shirt had been turned into a weighted vest so after a quick ringing of the t shirt I was off. Took these really handy though to be honest I was a bit lazy with hitting the splits. There are a few bits of bobbing and weaving on the track but too be honest I wasn't too worried as I was just doing this session to keep the legs in touch with race pace

Havent been near this in a few days because I decided to wait till I had got my head around things and calm down a bit so time to fill in the build up week

Tuesday|OFF|| N/A mile pace|N/A

Wednesday|Easy Run|4.47 miles|6.51 mile pace|30.37

Handy run to loosen out legs. The body feeling sluggish but it is just taking a few days for the legs to freshen up am sure it will come good

Thursday|OFF||N/A mile pace|N/A

Down with Vinny to get the foot checked up and the just a rub to prep the legs

Friday|Easy Run|4 miles|6.47 mile pace|27.07

Took this one handy and threw in one mile at race pace feeling handy enough banging out a 5.42 for the third mile

Saturday|Recover Run|2.5 miles|8.39 mile pace|21.35

Just a very easy one to get the legs going feeling good. Not quite the two days relaxing as last min went for a new position in work so between meetings getting applications forms filled out a signatures etc meant spent Fri and Saturday morning like a blue ar$ed fly but body feeling good

Woke up feeling good for this one. A little nervous but other than that I was ready to go. With the very handy week I had it gave the foot a chance to clear up a fair bit so didn't really feel any discomfort.

Got the bus down with the club so meant I could put the feet up and just relax. It was a warm day so was making sure to hydrate well on the bus and when we got down. Short warm up of a mile and a few drills and even though I didnt feel my normal looseness for a race I prefer this in a half and loosen out over the first mile or two. A brief chat with KC (still weird seeing him in a Sli Chuilann vest) and headed up to the start. Managed to get up about 6-7 rows from the front and immediately spotted Maria Mccambridge and thought crossed my mind to just track her and see how I went from there but because I was a few rows back never materialized (thankfully as she took off like a train)

Bang and we were off. I was taking it handy and settled into my pace of 5.40 very quickly and felt very easy at it. As the first mile developed I was on the shoulder of one of the club mates who would normally be around 75-76 pace so I was feeling good. I noticed there was a small gap forming in front of me, only a few metres but I knew that there was a nice group forming there so I made a call to push and latch on to this group.

Hit the first mile in 5.38. A little fast however being tucked in with this group of about 8 or nine I knew I was only putting in same effort I would have been running low to mid 5.40s on my own battling the wind. Course itself I was finding good. The few little climbs never lasted long and you always followed with a bit of a down hill so the legs got a break.

Next two miles and I was feeling great; 5.34, 5.37. Came around to a long drag at this point and hit it in 5.51 which didnt bother me as looking at the course the night before and the description from doctorchick so was expecting it on this mile. Next mile and I was back on pace 5.46.

First 5 miles was in 28.28 and things were going beyond expectation. It was at this point things started to unravel. Stomach started twisting and as I went on started feeling like a wet towel being rung out and stomach was in nots. Next mile was 6.02 a little slower but I thought if I could get through stomach distress I was still on a big PB however it didnt despite coming through the 10k mark with the clock still sub 36 I was slowing. A 6.10 followed

Came pass the finish line and was ready to stop but I thought it was just the fact this was an easy place to give up and if I could get through next mile I might come around; 6.16 and I was struggling. At this point I came off the course first time ever in a race. Thought maybe if I could get it out I would be okay to go again. Nothing came. Refused to give up however and started off again.

I saw KC up ahead once I started back again and decided to try go after him and if I could tag on to him hopefully I could manage a good time. Legs felt okay but stomach was in knots and I couldnt push pace any harder without the stomach tightening even further. After nine miles I stopped again and I was done. I turned off the watch, the only problem was I was out near the furthest point from the finish so I decided I would just keep going rather than walk back watching the the field run by me.

I ticked on in what was possibly the longest 4 miles ever being passed left right and centre all. I was feeling like a hot water bottle with water slushing around in the stomach. Came passed the clock which was at the 10k mark on the first lap and it was here that I realized just home bad things were. With roughly a mile to go I saw the clock ticking past the mid 76s. Even though I knew the PB was gone this was the first true realization of it.

At this point had one of the race I saw a Tallaght singlet hot on my heels and it was only in passing me that I saw who it was (one of the O50s from the club) I knew his PB was a good bit outside eighty so gave me an idea of where I was. From here on in did my best encouraging people who passed me to go after it in coming downhill to the finish. My legs wanted to go faster but any time I tried the stomach told me not to.

Crossed the line in 1.22.46 meaning that I went from 5.40 pace the first half of the race to 6.40s for second lap. It was the end of a bad day.

Post Mortem:

After I calmed down a bit started to look towards what went wrong. I was wondering whether pace was too hot and caused stomach problems or whether it was over hydration or what but looking back i think it was the latter. It was a rookie mistake to make but I guess you live and learn all in all was a disaster day however I have to try look at some positives from it. The first half of the race I was in control and felt great so I am quite confident of my shape. Half of me was considering getting out and racing another one as soon as possible but in hindsight gonna stick with my plan to hit XC though might look to have a good blow out in rathfarnham in three weeks.

Splits:
    (watch turned off after this)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Knew you were looking forward to this one, a tough day to have something like that hit you from nowhere :(

Sorry to hear that e.coli. your hard work and dedication over the last few months deserved better.
    I hope your training pays off in a great XC season for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Tough luck ecoli but put it behind you now. The first half of the race shows you're in great shape so I think hit a few road races and blow off a bit of steam and that will set you up for a cracking X country season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

hard luck ecoli. Sounds like you had an awful time of it. At least you know you are in very good shape - it wasnt the pace that got you.

I know I dont have a vote.......but my vote is to get out there and hammer another one in a week or two. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

You were in serious shape going in to this race. Pity you didn't get to see what you're capable of. We all have days where there's just something awry and we can't quite put our finger on what might be causing it. Disaster that this happened on the day of your target race.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. You have the work put in so the world of cross country racing will feel your wrath soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

hard luck ecoli. Sounds like you had an awful time of it. At least you know you are in very good shape - it wasnt the pace that got you.

I know I dont have a vote.......but my vote is to get out there and hammer another one in a week or two. :)
    +1,this will just put more fire in the belly

Advertisement