Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Thats a great HM result!! Ya must be well chuffed. Would loved to have done it too but was away. The whole pre and post race atmosphere is brill, esp when a good result comes your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Way to bounce back. Glad to hear it went well, super running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Time to come back down to earth after the weekend and get the head down. Between a late night Sat night (out after work but stayed sober) and legs not being back to normal took Sunday off to give the legs a day to recover.

The new job is starting to settle down now and I am able to get my training in. Gonna take a while till I get used to it fully and get back to normal training as in doubles but for now happy to just get solid mileage through mainly singles and try push on for XC

The only concern is that for the forseeable future I wont be as flexible about getting sunday's off for races so my racing schedule will be dictated by work. First casualty is Rathfarnam this weekend which will be the first time I have missed it in god knows how many years. So I will just have to keep training away as if I am racing and get the races in when I can and hopefully get a bit lucky.

So back to training.......

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Monday|Easy Run|9 miles|7.02 mile pace|1.03.23

Felt easy throughout this one though after about 5 miles I could tell there was still a bit of heaviness from the race at the weekend so continued to keep it handy

Tuesday|Fartlek Session|9.47 miles|7.10 mile pace|1.07.53

Session: 3 miles easy, 4 x (2 min on/2 min off), 3 min rec, 5 x (1 min on/ 1 min off), 2.19 miles easy

Splits
    2 min paces:
    (5.15/7.02) (5.17/6.58) (5.22/6.52) (5.20)

1 min paces:
    (4.59/7.17) (5.07/7.21) (5.12/7.18) (5.14/7.43) (5.17)

Legs were still a bit heavy from the weekend so wasnt expecting too much from this one however its one of the advantages to Fartlek in that you are solely aiming to base it on effort. To avoid the rush of traffic which has been the theme of my training since I started the new job I did this one out in UCD. Great spot for Fartlek and on my warm up I came across three potential site for fartleks sessions here for over the winter months that I will look to alternate.

At the start of my warm up I saw the UCDAC group beginning their fartlek session and I was gutted the timing had been wrong. I hadnt got out of work till around 6.20 and by that stage they had already begun the session and I was only starting my warm up so unfortunately couldnt even try hop in for the company so I decided to push on.

The loop I chose was fairly flat bar one little undulation in between the two fields I was running in so I decided to do a figure of 8 style loop of the two fields with this little rolling hill in between for a nice fast loop but challenging enough perfect for XC. Battery on the mp3 was dead so just went for this. The fact that there was so many people around while I was doing this session solo kinda made it more lonely than usual on my runs none the less I was happy with the effort. Tired in the latter parts but all in all the effort was solid and happy enough with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Congrats on an awesome race and a super report! Very well done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Cracking comback and report !

Question: Do you run your fartlek sessions with a plan/structure or is it completely ad lib ?

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Cracking comback and report !

Question: Do you run your fartlek sessions with a plan/structure or is it completely ad lib ?

Fartlek is actually fairly structured within my plan (guess this is part of my nature)

The overall plan for these sessions is as follows:

1) build volume (target 20 min "on" and 20 min "off"

2) once volume has reached this level aim for progression off the off periods rather than the ons (effort of on periods wont change too much but my off periods will go from easy pace to closer to steady/MP as I progress)

The sessions themselves will be different variations but a few examples are below

1x4 min, 2x3 min, 3x2 min, 4x1 min on/off (total 40 min on/off) and also reverse 1s-2s-3s-4

1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1 (total 40 min on/off)

3x2 min , 8x1 min, 3x2 min

5-4-3-2-1-5 mins (on/off) and inverted 5-1-2-3-4-5 (on off)

Effectively here I will play around a bit but the aim will be remain at 20 min of quality work and vary the durations

These are sessions where I wont be worried about time and will all be based around effort. Other sessions I have planned are along set loops where I can track progress via times but for these it will be about the effort being maintained as the recovery quickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ecoli wrote: »
    Fartlek is actually fairly structured within my plan (guess this is part of my nature)

I'd be the same as yourself but without being pedantic, isn't fartlek meant to be a bit unstructured? The reason I don't like the unstructured nature of it is you can wimp out of a session so I like to put some manners on it.

TRR wrote: »
    I'd be the same as yourself but without being pedantic, isn't fartlek meant to be a bit unstructured? The reason I don't like the unstructured nature of it is you can wimp out of a session so I like to put some manners on it.

Very true but there are no Swedes here to challenge my understanding of the word:D.My thoughts are exactly the same if I set out a workout atleast that way I cant change it up to make it easier when I am not feeling up to it (having saying this I was supposed to have 10 x 30 secs at the end of that session but legs still not 100% after weekend so hacked them off:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Very true but there are no Swedes here to challenge my understanding of the word:D.My thoughts are exactly the same if I set out a workout atleast that way I cant change it up to make it easier when I am not feeling up to it (having saying this I was supposed to have 10 x 30 secs at the end of that session but legs still not 100% after weekend so hacked them off.:o)

The legs or 10 x 30 secs? ;)

I've never done a fartlek, but it's on the list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

The flip side of this can apply too- before a fartlek session I'm looking forward to a bit of "speed-play" round the forest. Afterwards I realize those words have tricked me into doing a really hard session. Having variable terrain helps keep it unstructured but difficult (as far as I've found).

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    The legs or 10 x 30 secs? ;)

I've never done a fartlek, but it's on the list!

The 30 sec reps though came close to the legs last night on my run:D

Wednesday|Easy Run|approx 6 miles|7.15-7.25 mile pace|N/A

Another run after work around UCD (supposed the change of venue is refreshing from the usual haunts closer to home. After a mile saw Battery low on the Garmin which was strange because only charged it a few days ago so must have just been a case where I left it on. Legs were in a heap today and was feeling crap despite the pace being 7.15 including some solid hills. Battery went close to three miles but I was nearly back from a detour I had took from my usual loops around UCD. Ended up doing my usual 4 mile loop plus going up to deer park around the park and back to where I came into UCD so I reckon it was about 2.5 miles tacked on but left it at this as I had session the next day.

After the run I was worried that I was suffering still a bit from the race at the weekend but then it hit me that I had not had food after the session yesterday as I fell asleep soon after I got home (still adjusting to longer days with work). Guess this just brings home how important nutrition can be in terms of training

Thursday|Session|9.41 miles|7.51 mile pace|1.13.57

Session 3 miles easy, 4 x 1300m (.81 miles) Munichs w/ 3 min rec, 3 miles easy

Splits:
    4.27 (5.29 mile pace),
    4.28 (5.30 mile pace),
    4.28 (5.31 mile pace),
    4.29 (5.32 mile pace)

XC Training wouldnt be XC training without Munich's. These are pretty much a staple for any runner in the Dublin Area aiming to run Cross country. For those that don't know what Munichs are these are a loop in the Phoenix Park near the Magazine Fort (Dublin Novice/ Gerry Farnan XC races run here).

Though not exactly the traditional "Munich's" Coghlan did its the same course I do except come around the forest area as opposed to up through it. to describe this course you start at the back of the Magazine Fort (there is a tree to mark the starting point. You then proceed through two rolling hills back to back down a steep down hill through forested area looping around the back (uphill) where it levels off a bit till you come back on yourself and run the rolling hills again and back the where you started.

First one started out a little slow but by the end of the first two hills I was already feeling it. Finished the first one feeling quite tough despite the effort being comfortably strong as opposed to balls out. Had a quick glance at last few times I did these and saw 4.28 was my quickest, here I had just gone quicker. The only problem is before when I had done these I had always slowed dramatically so I thought I had blown it (especially when I am pretty sure previously I was cutting a corner where I couldnt today due to mounds of freshly cut grass everywhere bar where I had cleared a path on my warm up)

Second one and I was starting to get the searing lungs you get in XC and really fast track sessions. I knew this was coming and just dug in and fought what seemed to be an ever present head wind no matter what direction you were running. Again had hit 4.28. Shows that I was stronger than ever before.

Third one hurt and I was fairly fooked by the end of it at this point my mind was telling me to stop but I figured only one more and no matter what time I hit the main thing was just to finish the session and over the next few months can work on improving the time on the last one to hold the pace. 4.28 again for the third one.

Last one and I started out more conservatively simply because the legs were wobbly enough as is. Felt better for it after the rolling hills and just focused on relaxed breathing and arm swing (would say form but being an XC course form is pretty poor though I know this will benefit me as the training goes on because its great for working on bio-mechanical strength which will stand to me next year back on the road) coming back on the hills I dug in and once I got to the last stretch I went for it. Hit the watch as I passed the line and dropped to the ground as if I had just out kicked someone at the end of a hard 5k. Watch read 4.29 put the biggest smile on my face.

On the cooldown came across the legend that is Harry Gorman out on a run. Huge respect to the man, he really does eat breath and sleep running. Last time I unexpectedly bumped into him was in Spain at the World XC where he was the sole fan that had travelled from Ireland with the team of two (was on a warm weather training camp about an hour from the race which is how we ended up there).

I was just about to call it quits after a 2 mile cooldown but thankfully I bumped into one of the DSD lads I run against and helped drag me along for another mile and a chat so all in all job done today and now time to enjoy a day off work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

This is a great log.

Just learned what 'Munichs' are, and consequently 'Khybers'.

Will give them a go soon, and will keep reading this.

This is a great log.

For one so young he is "old school" :)

This is a great log.

There definitely a good one for building strength and even though you are a more 400/800 type the hill work is good for strengthening the legs in terms of injury prevention come the spring for the harder track work.

You will usually find the weekends around 10 or so these have loads of runners during the winter so always good for having people to work off and having company doing them. I know many clubs as well as other running groups tend to have a weekend session here

Friday AM|Easy Run|10 miles|7.02 mile pace|1.10.24

Today was a day off work so a chance to get in my only double of the week. Plan this morning was just an easy 6 to get the legs ticking over and then 10 this evening but despite the legs being heavy from the session yesterday this run felt very handy and decided to push on and get the longer run done while was bright out and relatively nice weather. Run felt very handy and just plodded away nicely.

Can start to feel the winter breezes coming in and I think will have to make a bit of a shop on start fitness before long for a bit warmer gear as mine seems to be disappearing strangely:confused:

For one so young he is "old school" :)

Its from hanging round you old fogies too much bad influences I tell ya :D

Saturday|OFF| N/A miles|N/A mile pace|N/A

Took this off woke up feeling more tired than I should have been and body feeling generally crap and sore throat. Normally not one to let that stop me I played it safe and took the day to fight it off before it go bad

On the good news got my rota for the the next month and it favourable to a nice little stint of racing so plan to race the next Four weekends:

30th - Liz McDonnell 5k XC
    7th - Tallaght 5 mile
    14th - Dublin Novice XC
    21st - Gerry Farnan XC

Sunday|Paced Run| 11 miles|6.50 mile pace| 1.15.20

Session: 8 miles easy, 3 miles @ MP

Was feeling a good bit better today. Few minor aches but no sore throat so I reckon I managed to fight what ever I thought I was starting to come down with thankfully. Despite this though decided to keep things very easy tonight (this was after earlier half considering trying to make up for missed session yesterday) The dinner was sitting heavy in the stomach so I wasnt pushin it too much and was ticking away handy enough until mile 7 when I glanced at the watch to see the mile pace dropping ; sub 7, 6.55, 6.50. This was not a deliberate thing and my legs seemed to just have a mind of there own and wanted to run at pace so I said I would go with it and throw in a few 6.40 miles to finish slightly steady. The only problem was the legs continued to crank it up and started into the next mile in the 6.20s and still dropping. It was at this point decided to hell with it and just tack on a few MP miles at the end for good measure so last three clocked:

This was unexpected and quite controlled so while not a full session was nice to throw in considering I missed session yesterday though in hindsight missing tomorrow has probably saved me considering I am going into a very heavy race period and training block (many of these will train through for)

Total weekly mileage: 54.88 (probably one of the harder low mileage weeks I have done for some reason)

Hope to start back doubles tomorrow....

• Advertisement

Monday AM|Easy Run|4 miles|7.35 mile pace| 30.19

This is my third week in the new job and I am finally getting my body used to the routine. For the last few years I have been doing shift work but this work sees (atleast for the first while anyway) me do a 9-6 routine. Though at first it was a bit of a pain when working on weekdays with traffic I have slowly come around slightly and this week managed to get back into a routine where I was able to get out of bed early enough to avoid traffic and get in an easy run. Pace was slow but I was not awake yet so I will allow it :D

Dunno how the morning warriors (theboyblunder, zooming and the likes) manage to do it regularly at an even earlier time :eek:

Monday PM|Easy Run|10 miles|7.08 mile pace| 1.11.29

I now know we are officially in XC season. The week of my first XC race of the season and its been pissing down constantly all day, a few more days and should be a good old fashioned mud bath I remember as a kid during XC:rolleyes:.
    Ticked along handy enough never really pushing it and just going with the flow. At one point saw one of the girls from UCDAC who was going at a pace not too much slower than mine and thought had crossed my mind to slow down slightly and run with her for a bit of company however given that she only joined the year I left and she didnt really know me bar the odd brief conversation creep radar kicked in and I said I would avoid the risk of pepper spray to the eyes and a rape whistle being blown so I push on myself:p

Monday PM|Easy Run|10 miles|7.08 mile pace| 1.11.29

I now know we are officially in XC season. The week of my first XC race of the season and its been pissing down constantly all day, a few more days and should be a good old fashioned mud bath I remember as a kid during XC:rolleyes:.
    Ticked along handy enough never really pushing it and just going with the flow. At one point saw one of the girls from UCDAC who was going at a pace not too much slower than mine and thought had crossed my mind to slow down slightly and run with her for a bit of company however given that she only joined the year I left and she didnt really know me bar the odd brief conversation creep radar kicked in and I said I would avoid the risk of pepper spray to the eyes and a rape whistle being blown so I push on myself:p

I was wondering why women pointed and screamed when I run with you. I thought it was because of my devilish good looks but now I know the real reason :)

Tuesday|Fartlek|11.72 miles|6.51 mile pace| 1.20.29

Session:
    2.5 miles easy,
    4 min on/ 4 min off
    2 x 3 min on/ 3 min off
    3 x 2 min on/ 2 min off
    4 x 1 min on/ 1 min off
    2.5 miles easy

Paces:
    4 min: (5.20/6.40)
    3 min: (5.18/6.39) (5.20/6.42)
    2 min: (5.14/6.51) (5.20/6.49) (5.20/7.03)
    1 min: (5.02/6.44) (5.16/7.05) (5.24/7.17) (5.12/7.42)

Total Fartlek: 6.72 miles - 40.01 (5.56 mile pace average)

This was a tough session. Unfortunately due to getting out of work a little late I missed the UCD group who were doing a similar session but were half way through by the time that I started this session. Despite the rain the last two days the grass was flooded in places but not trudged on that much at the start so was not really muddy however given that the UCDAC group of about 20 were doing there session on the same roughly 1200m loop it got cut up more and more as the session went on.
    The 4 min was faster than I had expected so I was happy with this and the long recovery had me ready to go again. The three min reps again were tough enough but the recoveries were not too bad. I was surprised how easy the steady pace felt in the recoveries. By the time the two mins came along I was working hard but still feeling strong.
    Then came the 1 mins I wanted to really work on form on these and push and perhaps I went a little too fast in the first one but the form was good in each of these I was working on being relaxed while running hard. I dunno what happened on the third one, the effort was there the form was relaxed and felt strong but the pace was not just there. Managed to reel it back in the last one but I was wrecked by the time the session finished.
    All in all really happy with how this session went and hopefully a few more of these should have me in good nick for the XC season

Wednesday|Easy Run|5 miles|7.24 mile pace|37.04

Woke up this morning and had a planned recovery run however given it was the last day in a 5 long day stretch in work and the bucketing down I wimped out and rolled over for an extra hour in bed (badly needed). Decided to keep today short and handy to recover in between sessions and as the next few days are alot more favourable hours wise with work decided to fit in the longer miles later in the week. Was shocked that i was hitting this pace with what felt close to recovery effort but I am sure will need every ounce of strength for a killer hill session in the morning

Thursday|Hills|8.14 miles|n/a mile pace|n/a

Session: 3 miles easy, 3x2 min hills w/ jog back rec (3 min), 1 min hill, 3 miles easy

Paces:
    6.43 pace (.30 miles) ,
    6.57 pace (.29 miles) ,
    6.54 pace (.29 miles) ,
    8.48 pace (.13 miles but 1.08 time)

Before anyone says it the paces are right. This is a killer of a hill which I have not done in a long while and today made me realise that the name of the hell fire club has nothing to do with the aristocratic meeting pace for debauchery which it claims, its about the feeling in your legs after hill sessions here:D

Thankfully being first proper long hill sessions back and with having a race at the weekend I decided to keep the volume low enough on this one even though it isnt a target race its just a chance to get the legs accustomed to racing XC again.

I knew this was gonna be tough as I went on the warm up and was slightly breathless at would be normally recovery pace having said that my initial thoough was okay we say 5.40 pace on the hills should be good hard pace on hills like this :rolleyes:. After about a minute of the first rep I got the lung seering that get when you are working past Vo2 effort and this was just to struggle to get under 7 pace. Once again as always when I come back to this hill I underestimate it.

By the third rep the legs were like jelly form went out the window and I just dug in my hardest to keep going and prayed to god the clock would wind down quicker :D

Last one was only supposed to be a minute but I was hurting so bad I forgot about the watch and slipped ended up doing it a little longer than planned but I was no where near where I had been on other reps (there is a telephone pole that I had been hitting around 1.06/7 in the other reps)

All in all a tough session but I hope over the winter I can build up both the volume and duration of the reps and will have me in good nick

Friday|Easy Run|4.5 miles|7.07 mile pace|32.02

Saturday|OFF|n/a miles|n/a mile pace|n/a

Not too much to write home about I could use the excuse of things coming up and work as happened but tbh even with them I should have got more done

First XC race in over 6 months and the first one I have actually done while specifically training for XC in about 2 years. New the field in this one wouldnt be too deep. A few good local runners supporting the race but bar these few not too many travel for this race. Having said that the ones that did show up were few lads I knew to very solid runners coming out of the Junior ranks.

Did a nice long warm up which included a lap of the course. Unfortunately even though this was an XC race there were certain areas which were gravel paths meaning that I started considering whether to forget the XC spikes, however only had my training shoes no racers so was caught either way. By the end of the lap of the course however I knew that I would need the XC spikes for some of the hills in the latter part of the race simply because the underfoot was way too soft (one hill took two attempts to get up on the warm up as I slipped back down the first time :o)

Nearly had a season ender before it started then as I was doing my drills and went over heavily on my ankle. Took about 10 min before I was able to put pressure back down on it (a little swelling now but thankfully doesnt seem to be any major damage)

Lined up beside a few familiar faces at the start. Two lads from UCD and another and I knew that there were about 5 or six of us lined up together that would be in the mix for the win. Gun went and we were off. Not the usual all out sprint usually associated with an XC start but still took off to the front with a lad from Donore up ahead of me. He was really eating up the ground and went off himself and then there was a group of three of us a few seconds off him. This was exactly what I wanted from these race a chance to actually race people rather than the clock for once.

I sat in 2nd in the group with another lad on my shoulder breathing heavy I knew he wouldnt last long. I decided the guy in front of me looked like a younger club runner which meant he probably wouldnt have the strength I had coming off HM training so I moved on to his shoulder and started pushing it but he was wanting to stay in front of me so I knew I would out last him if I kept attacking him.

Hit the first K in 3.23 which given the footing and a mud bath of a dip in this km I was happy with as it was heavy enough effort. After 1k I then moved off the runners shoulder and started running side by side. At this point of the course we turned into the gravel path with only a narrow very uneven grass margin to one side which I went for as I thought would be less severe on the legs that the spikes on gravel. 2km split: 3.27

The third k we were back to grass and mud and here we hit the courses hills. This was where I decided to make my move and I made a surge. It worked and I broke away putting about 5 seconds on the lads and now lay in second. First had a sizeable lead but I was closing. 3km Split: 3.31

Next mile and was out on my own in a flat field the fear of the guys on the back was keeping me going but the surges from the last k hurt a little so I was hoping I would gather my strength for the last km. 4km split: 3.35

There was a turn at the 4km mark and then we proceeded again up a very narrow uneven margin beside a path. Also had to contend with a very strong head wind and we were out in the open so being on my own here hurt big time. I was hurting bad and this became apparent as a guy (not the two I had ran with in the group) had come through strong and passed me with ease. I dug in but didnt feel comfortable until we finally turned out of the wind to loop around a field to the finish.

I was worried the others would be hot on his heals so dug in and started to make a bit of time back on the guy that passed me but to be honest he had put way too much distance between us for me to make it back in the final 400m so crossed the line safely in

3rd place in 17.46 watch time (17.48 Official)

All in all happy with this race I ran well and was a good chance to get some XC experience in before the championship races start. The only bit that I was disappointed with is how easily I was beaten for 2nd but it will be something that I can work on over the next few weeks and months hopefully

Splits

Great race and great to see a mass participation XC race I think races like this one should be a more regular feature on the calendar as there is obviously a demand for them with 250 finishers of all ages

Also nice touch having Kenneally presenting the prizes afterwords. A highly recommended race for anyone looking to try something new next year

Total Weekly mileage: 47.48 miles

Monday|Easy Run|9 miles|7.50 mile pace|1.10.37

The hardest run in a long time. Body was in a jock today after the race yesterday. Ankle was sore from going over it in the drills before the race yesterday (and again on trampoline after race:o) thankfully I dont think there is any major damage done and it was not sore putting pressure on it so I could still run thankfully though I had it in my mind all day and I knew that it was going to become an excuse to cut my run short tonight, but I had a plan to beat my lazy attitude.

Finished work threw gear in the car changed into running gear and I was off. This way I couldnt cut a loop short because it was my way home and was point to point so no excuse. Despite taking this one really handy between the body being in ribbons and a good net uphill climb on this route and a stiff headwind this was the hardest 7.50 pace run I have done (barring hang over runs) ever. Just glad to get this one completed to be honest and hopefully body will feel better after the easy day today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

3rd place is not a bad way to mark the return to XC - nice one!

Advertisement