Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Tuesday AM|Easy Run|8 miles|7.24 mile pace|59.13

Finally beat the laziness and got an AM run in pre work for a double day....... well beat the laziness is probably wrong choice of word as I left the car in work last night on purpose so had no other choice. Still played a good game of seeing if I could catch cars over a mile stretch giving them a 200m head start. ecoli 2...... Morning rush hour traffic 0 :D I think i preferred shift work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I always hate running on a road with loads of traffic. Maybe it's because I grew up on the pure air of the Kingdom, but the fumes are rank!

Don't have much of a choice up here sometimes though!

I always hate running on a road with loads of traffic. Maybe it's because I grew up on the pure air of the Kingdom, but the fumes are rank!

Don't have much of a choice up here sometimes though!

Born and raise up here though admittedly today i did notice it moreso than usual but this was probably just as a result of bumper to bumper traffic on the roads towards where I work. I really should run in more to work to get my morning runs but working +10 hour days without travel time is still taking a while to get used to aim to build the mileage up over coming weeks to get back to where I was and try and maintain that hough cross at around 70-80 mpw

Time to finally start to update this as I haven had a proper chance to over the last week not that it makes for much of a read…….

Tuesday PM|Easy Run|4 miles|7.29 mile pace|29.56

This was a failed session. The plan had been to do k reps however had to work through my lunch and was starving by the time I got out none the less I gave it a lash. Just had no energy started the first one and tried to get the legs going, fail, tried again, failed again. The plan had been to aim for around 3.20 pace on these yet I was so weak from hunger that I couldn’t manage steady pace let alone HM pace or quicker. In the end ran a k in 3.55 and left it at that. Need to plan better and always have back up food in case I don’t get out for lunch in the new job

Wednesday|Session|6.55 miles| mile pace|

Session: 3 miles easy, 3 x .85(approx 1300m), 2 miles easy

Splits 4.46, 4.42, 4.47

Session attempt 2 and followed a similar pattern as yesterday however I decided not to make the same mistake twice so when I finished work up to the canteen for dinner killed a bit of time to let the traffic die down and headed for Tymon Park . I was pushing it in terms of how long I left for the food to digest but I didn’t really have much other option. Got to Tymon park exactly one hour after I took the last bit of the dinner (which in hindsight probably should have only ate half of but there were no sandwiches and I was starving. I took the warm up as slow as needed in order to try and help speed up the metabolism. By time I got to the session I wasn’t too bad. The loop was dark in places but thankfully the majority was under the floodlights of local soccer astro so headed off. Pace was moderate enough on the first one, Pushed it the second one and was feeling good. Half way through the third one and I was going well again until BANG! Off went the floodlights. Managed to finish the rep but was dangerous enough and I knew after that I wouldn’t be able to get in any more without breaking my neck.

All in all this week was going to pot and anything that could did transpire against me

Thursday AM|Easy Run|3.75 miles|6.55 mile pace|25.55

Short morning run and was supposed to get out for another run in the evening but was completely exhausted after work so opted for an early night instead

Fri Off

Busy enough day in work but I was determined to get out after until I got a phone call with about an hour to go in work from family regarding problem that needed to be sorted ASAP so had to head home and sort that which by the time I managed to get to the bottom of was 11 o clock so again a poor day training (becoming way to frequent at this stage which I am not happy about at all)

Sat OFF

Sheer exhaustion from the week figured today would be better spent recovering considering I was racing the next day

More to follow.... (When I get a chance)

Didn’t know what to expect from this race as I was 50-50 as to weather the lack of quality training was going to leave me sluggish or well tapered. Got down and admittedly my race day prep was as poor as my week. Between chatting to Woddle, my ex coach, Travers and a few others I left my warm up pretty late. A handy 2 mile warm up with tRR and a few last min drills and I was on the line. I figured I would loosen up a bit over the first mile.

Gun went and a bit of calamity as a car and an ambulance had failed to move and were right in the way of tRR and my race line. tRR veered off however I saw the car hastily sped of and cleared my line so stayed on course. Tucked in behind a nice group with one of the younger guys from the club on my shoulder. Last year he went out like a train and died badly. This year he was gunning for me and I knew this as he watched every move I made. Was feeling good so decided would be smarter to stick with this group than to fall off the back. First mile and I look at the watch :5.10 uh oh yet I am not that worried the first mile in this one is lightning fast.

Nice little group formed here and we had three Tallaght singlets in the group. At this point I took the foot off the pedal a bit as I knew I was too far up as I shouldn’t be on tRR’s shoulder. This coupled with the nasty drag I knew was coming next. But was still moving well. 2nd mile: 5.31

Turned onto the Greenhills road and knew here was where I was gonna be working again powered up the hill passing a few including one of the Tallaght lads who was hurting now. Was working hard enough but the pace was just not there and at this point I was on my own with my mind solely focused on the lads behind me rather than ahead of me which was an indication I was finding it tough. 3rd mile : 5.47

After this point another one of the younger club runners came powering by me at such a pace that I could not respond and go with him. This was a down hill so I thought he may have just gone too early and would come back to me on the hill. I was working here but again the pace was not there I knew this was not gonna be a PB day or anywhere close. 4th mile 5.42

Next mile and I had the lead lady as well as the initial younger club member who was with me that had managed to claw his way back (which surprised me as he is a speed rather than strength based runner) hill came again and I attacked it well with lead lady drafting off me. I saw the young runner who had powered past me at mile three hurting and looking around and even though there was a big gap I went after him and started really him in. Went from about an 140m gap to 100, then 60 he kept looking around so I shouted at the top of my lungs at him to get going as it was costing him 10s of seconds at this stage

Finished strong but to be honest time was pretty poor. At this stage I have resigned myself to the fact that it is going to take me a while to adapt to training with the new job and regulate my sleep patterns a little better. In the mean time I am just gonna try do what I can and use the races to maintain fitness before looking to my next target in the new year

Splits:
    5.38 .
    15 (dunno where 15 secs came from as no way I deviated that much from race line)

Finishing time : 28.05 chip (28.04 watch)

Followed this up with a short run with my old coach in the evening. Living in England these days it was a rare chance to catch up. Pace was handy (and must have been a crawl for him given he had ran 24.20 in the race) just 5.5 miles

• Advertisement

Monday|Easy Run|6 miles|6.50 mile pace|40.56

Got a lie in this morning with a glorious day off and I was gonna make use of it with a solid double to get the week started right and training back on track. This was short lived as was called into work and getting home at 9 in the evening I went out just to get something in. Was starving but just plugged through and getting this out of the way as quick as possible to without killing myself in order to get home for my dinner :D

Tuesday AM|Easy Run|4 miles|6.44 mile pace|26.54

Up early this morning and wasnt feeling too tired. This morning felt easy despite the legs being heavy (not recovering as quick these days either due to mileage or nutrition but legs alot heavier for alot longer after races/sessions

Tuesday PM|Session|7.86 miles| mile pace|59.44

Session: 2 miles easy, 5x1k w/ 2.30 recovery, 2 miles easy

Splits: 3.13, 3.09, 3.12, 3.14, 3.13

Today I was not letting anything get in the way of this session. Nutrition and hydration were paid attention to and a decent nights sleep last night so woke this morning with ease (think I finally getting these normal morning shifts down finally).

Given the absolute howler of a week that I had last week the target time was 3.20-3.25 for these as because I didnt know the condition of the pitches and also how I would feel.

Had set up the garmin to clock kms after the warm up but forgot to change the display so I was going off mile pace so I knew just aim for 5.20 or faster. Lap hit at 3.13 a hell of alot faster than I thought I was able to go tonight. At first I thought this session is gonna go to pot as a result but fought this attitude and it was soon replaced with "right gotta keep these under 3.15s"

UCDAC group were doing fartlek which was good just even to see them in passing made me feel like I was not so isolated in my training despite the fact they were doing completely different training (also good to see the addition of Mark English to the group)

By third one I was really working. Delighted with how they were going just dug in and held on for dear life. Thought I was done after four but said to myself just aim for an 800m and as I got close to that convinced myself to push on and that last 200m became the determinant between a successful or failed session..... I passed with flying colours:D

All in all thrilled with this session but I am not going to get carried away as its easy to have one good quality day out of the last four. Need to focus on getting the consistency back and hopefully put a few of these together back to back

Wednesday AM|Easy Run|4 miles|7.24 mile pace|29.36

Legs felt good today none of the soreness I have been feeling after hard efforts over the last while so I am putting this down to nutrition as the I have missed meals frequently enough with work (working through lunch breaks etc.) but seem to have finally gotten into a routine where I am managing training and all other aspects of life a bit better

Race schedule has been amended for the next two week also as follows:

Dublin Novice XC - At the race last Sunday I was told that we were struggling for a team. Between the change to the ages coupled with the majority of the lads doing Dublin means we were short so it was looking like I was going to be running solo, not great considering I am not running well at the moment. This was followed by last minute being told that there is a family christening on Sunday after 12 o clock mass so I have made the decision to give the Novice a miss and opt for the BHAA on Saturday. I will still get a good race in but pity to miss out on a championship race though there is always next year and gives me a few more weeks to get in decent shape before a Championship race

Gerry Farnan Finally got the dates for Sports & Remedial Massage Therapy Course which starts next weekend so it means I wont be able to race this one as the course is on all day Saturday and Sunday. This was something I decided I wanted to a while back but to be honest hadn't heard much back until I got the dates today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Man, I got my spikes back, someone handed them in at the race and I picked them up earlier. Thanks a lot for your offer though dude, really appreciate it.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Man, I got my spikes back, someone handed them in at the race and I picked them up earlier. Thanks a lot for your offer though dude, really appreciate it.

No problem man glad to hear you got them anyway

Wednesday PM|Easy Run|7.5 miles|7.10 mile pace|53.49

Nice manageable day in work today was finally getting on top of things, ten min till quitting time and one of the bosses comes over looking for a report to be done before I go.... 2 and a half hours later report complete and a nice 12 hour day done:( Despite this was actually not too tired and still managed to get out for the second run of the day happy enough. Met up with one of the lads from the club who I havent ran with in a very long time (he spent a couple of months abroad) so was nice to have company however this was short lived as he was having calf problems so turned off after about 20 min and was left on my own.

Despite these post becoming less frequent I am still doing a bit (although admittedly not as much as I would like but here goes)

Thursday|OFF|||

Friday|OFF|||

Two crazy days in work coupled with tiredness/laziness meant didnt get out

Saturday|OFF|||

Up all night with tooth ache so hit the bed as soon as work finished

Sunday|Easy Run|11.4 miles|7.11 mile pace|1.22.04

Just a handy one this morning was good to get out

A Brand new week

Rather than stress about trying to get the mileage in for now I am just gonna do what I can but keep the intensity high enough to maintain fitness and try throw in a session or two a week

Monday AM|Easy Run|4 miles|7.13 mile pace|28.52
    Monday PM|Easy Run|6 miles|7.18 mile pace|43.48

Limited time so just kept both of these runs short before and after work

Tuesday PM|Tempo Run|6 miles|6.14 mile pace|37.22

Again limited time but decided to take this one steady. One thing led to another and I was down at MP without too much difficulty so I just went with it. Happy enough with this and can afford to deviate from the plan (given that there really isn't one at the moment)

Mile splits 6.28, 6.06, 6.10, 6.15, 6.11, 6.11

Wednesday PM|Steady Run|7.5 miles|6.24 mile pace|48.01

Planned on a morning run but for the second day in a row woke up 15 min late which effectively made the difference between getting into work with an hour to spare and making it into work with 5 min to spare. Planned on six miles after work and was tipping away nicely so went with it and threw on a small loop at the end was never really pushing it too much though the legs were little heavy from the last two days

Thursday AM|Easy Run|3.5 miles|7.06 mile pace|24.52

Got up on time thankfully just a handy one today to loosen out the legs and will keep tonight easy enough to and a late start in work tomorrow so a chance to get a sneaky session in

Right time to start back with this I have been doing a small bit to keep ticking over but to be honest I was making far too many excuses for myself so I knew something was going to have to change. Thankfully work has changed shifts back to what I was used to so I am not getting caught in rush hour traffic which helps but ultimately I knew I had two approaches that I could take in the hope of getting me back on track:

1) get a coach - The idea was to have some accountablity to someone in terms of training more so than the actual plan however the only problem with this is I have grown accustom to training myself over last while and there was very few people I had in mind for this and conflicting training philosophies etc

2) Set a goal for the next few months to focus my training something big enough that I cant afford to miss training and keep going the way I have been

So I went with the second and have done up a plan for the next few months both in terms of training and goals. Will wait a few weeks to elaborate on these just until I have a few weeks of consistent training under my belt....

So 1st week started monday

Monday |Easy Run|4.41 miles|7.29 mile pace| 32.57

Knew the legs were gonna take a few days to adjust given been off for nearly a week with no running so despite straining at the leash kept this one slow

Tuesday AM|Easy Run|4.74 miles|7.07 mile pace| 33.44
    Tuesday PM|Tempo Run|7.65 miles|6.41 mile pace| 51.10

Tempo: 4 miles in 23.30
    Splits: 5.58, 5.58, 5.55, 5.39

This session was a bit of a mixed back. It felt very controlled, moreso than any tempo I have done in a long time (even the last mile) however I am not going to read in to the times as I had a favourable tail wind. Given it was the first session in a few weeks didnt wanna go too hard. All in all happy with the effort level being controlled and will focus on that rather than the paces. Long way to go yet but I have nothing but time

Wednesday AM|Easy Run|4.6 miles|7.06 mile pace| 32.39

Kept this one short as legs were feeling last nights run more than I thought they would. Not gonna push mileage too much this week more about getting out every day and building from that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

ecoli wrote: »
    Right time to start back with this I have been doing a small bit to keep ticking over but to be honest I was making far too many excuses for myself so I knew something was going to have to change. Thankfully work has changed shifts back to what I was used to so I am not getting caught in rush hour traffic which helps but ultimately I knew I had two approaches that I could take in the hope of getting me back on track:

1) get a coach - The idea was to have some accountablity to someone in terms of training more so than the actual plan however the only problem with this is I have grown accustom to training myself over last while and there was very few people I had in mind for this and conflicting training philosophies etc

2) Set a goal for the next few months to focus my training something big enough that I cant afford to miss training and keep going the way I have been

So I went with the second and have done up a plan for the next few months both in terms of training and goals. Will wait a few weeks to elaborate on these just until I have a few weeks of consistent training under my belt....

So 1st week started monday

Monday |Easy Run|4.41 miles|7.29 mile pace| 32.57

Knew the legs were gonna take a few days to adjust given been off for nearly a week with no running so despite straining at the leash kept this one slow

Tuesday AM|Easy Run|4.74 miles|7.07 mile pace| 33.44
    Tuesday PM|Tempo Run|7.65 miles|6.41 mile pace| 51.10

Tempo: 4 miles in 23.30
    Splits: 5.58, 5.58, 5.55, 5.39

This session was a bit of a mixed back. It felt very controlled, moreso than any tempo I have done in a long time (even the last mile) however I am not going to read in to the times as I had a favourable tail wind. Given it was the first session in a few weeks didnt wanna go too hard. All in all happy with the effort level being controlled and will focus on that rather than the paces. Long way to go yet but I have nothing but time

Wednesday AM|Easy Run|4.6 miles|7.06 mile pace| 32.39

Kept this one short as legs were feeling last nights run more than I thought they would. Not gonna push mileage too much this week more about getting out every day and building from that

I'd say you're after tapering without meaning to and are on a mini-peak at the moment! Up until a few weeks ago you were putting in some serious training, and didn't give yourself much of a break before starting into cross-country training. Then with the cut-back training over the past few weeks your body has had more recovery time but the sporadic runs are keeping it ticking over.

Could be completely wrong about this!

I'd say you're after tapering without meaning to and are on a mini-peak at the moment! Up until a few weeks ago you were putting in some serious training, and didn't give yourself much of a break before starting into cross-country training. Then with the cut-back training over the past few weeks your body has had more recovery time but the sporadic runs are keeping it ticking over.

Could be completely wrong about this!

Your probably right here. The taper for the National half back in September followed by a fairly hefty Race schedule (a 10k, HM, 5k XC and a 5 miler in the space of about 6 weeks) probably means that I accelerated a peak so hopefully the easing down over the last few weeks since has allowed me the break I needed and the next few weeks will be a build up to allow some serious winter/Spring training (hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I've been holding back but don't have me to go an unearth that antifamily/work thread you started a while back. Get the f-ing finger out ;)

if anybody can find that thread will they link it here, I tried but failed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

what, this?
    There are alot of people who use the excuse of work/family/social life for not being able to get out to hit high mileage

Also the notion that 2-3/4 is the most you can do successfully.

Personally I think this is a load of horse s"£t

HTH :D

To be honest I am surprised it has not been thrown in my face early in the log given the last few weeks however I did cover myself by starting the post with
    Right time to start back with this I have been doing a small bit to keep ticking over but to be honest I was making far too many excuses for myself so I knew something was going to have to change.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

RayCun wrote: »
    what, this?

HTH :D

Boo ya :)

• Advertisement

Thursday AM|Easy Run|4.62 miles|7.01 mile pace| 32.24
    Thursday PM|Easy Run|7 miles|7.28 mile pace| 52.16

Such contrasting runs. This morning was ticking away without a care in the world making sure to keep handy as I had planned on doing bit of quality however as the day progressed started to feel worse and worse and laboured to hit 7.30 pace in the evening. Just put it down to bad run and adjusting main aim this week is to get out every day and hit +50 miles as a starting point to drive on from

Fri |Easy Run|6 miles|7.07 mile pace| 42.40

Feeling slightly better today but still had the blah feeling that I was having from the last few days where the body felt like crap despite the pace feeling handy and the legs strong.This is a feeling that I have never experienced before half of me was thinking its just getting back into running and my body flushing out the system and another part of me thinks could be some sort of bug despite feeling grand around it so decided just to push back session and keep ticking on and see will it pass

Saturday AM|Easy Run|3.9 miles|7.42 mile pace| 30.00
    Saturday PM|Hill Session|8.62 miles|7.06 mile pace| 1.01.13

Kept the morning run purposefully slow just to make sure it that didnt end up feeling like total crap for the rest of the day and was actually able to attempt my session

2 things happened then in the afternoon which light a fire under me for training in the evening that had me raring to go

1) Woddle's exuberance and restored passion in running. I am telling you if that man could bottle his enthusiasm and sell it he would be a millionaire :D

2) Boiler broke in the house meaning that on a cold night like tonight the warmth of a nice cosy house was not a deterrent for going training so after attempts to restore the heating (failed attempts) headed out on the session

Session:
    1.55 miles easy,
    24x30 sec hills w/ 1 min jog back down rec
    1.55 miles easy,

Splits: Averaged 4.50-4.55 mile pace

Used a hill up near the house for this one with a gradual incline but nothing too drastic. Still feeling the bleh feeling from all week but had subsided and some major flexibility work to aid blood flow in an attempt to clear the feeling (like toxins in the muscles) over the last few days I wasnt too bad. First few were sluggish but after about three I was in my stride and feeling strong relaxed and controlled. Was happy with my form and was good to get the body back in touch with some higher speeds.

About half way though and the high volume of reps reminded me that this was an aerobic workout as I was starting to have to work hard. Times were plateauing but I was holding strong. By the end I was comfortably tired which is exactly where I wanted to be as this was a controlled session at the start of a tough plan. I know I will be sore tomorrow though but sure with running we are always glad of "the good kinda pain" :rolleyes:

Sunday|Easy Run|13.11 miles|7.05 mile pace| 1.32.59

Handy one after work tonight. Not feeling the soreness I thought I would after yesterdays session (in fact bar post session heaviness was feeling the best I have all week)

Took off at a very modest pace just to ease the legs in considering before this the longest run I did all week was less than eight miles and had felt terrible. Forgot to turn back on the auto split for mile pace so when I was running off lap pace for the first few miles it was more average pace so decided to break it up into 4 mile splits just to track the pace so as not to over do it and keep an eye on the pace. First 4 in the 7.20s which I was happy enough with, next four @ 7.10 pace and figured it was just down to the legs loosening out, next four 6.50s and I was feeling pretty good never pushing it and breaking up the run like that it flew in and didnt really feel it. The last mile I was in a good grove and decided to leave it at 6.40 and not try reel it in.

All in all first week in a while that I am happy with. I got out every day, exceeded the (albeit modest) mileage target and two solid sessions. From here I should be able to push back into full training and start getting myself back to proper shape (though mind you I have kept ticking over so not coming from woeful shape thankfully)

Weekly Mileage|64.65
    Days running|7/7

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭DJS

Guess who is back, sorry I didnt reply to you man but good news. I start a new job, 9-6 full time in Runworx next week. So that means more time to train, more flexible in terms of getting time off and basically just a better lifestyle.

Are you interested in a training camp in January to Grand Canaries ???

DJS wrote: »
    Guess who is back, sorry I didnt reply to you man but good news. I start a new job, 9-6 full time in Runworx next week. So that means more time to train, more flexible in terms of getting time off and basically just a better lifestyle.

Are you interested in a training camp in January to Grand Canaries ???

Glad to hear it man thats exactly what you want. How is the form. Hearing you going well down the club if reports are to be believed.

Sounds appealing as I think a this stage would be pushing i to try and tag onto the Monte G crew:D

As long as it doesnt conflict with course dates I would be interested anyway. You have many in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭DJS

Glad to hear it man thats exactly what you want. How is the form. Hearing you going well down the club if reports are to be believed.

Sounds appealing as I think a this stage would be pushing i to try and tag onto the Monte G crew:D

As long as it doesnt conflict with course dates I would be interested anyway. You have many in mind?

Ah I wouldn't say I am going well, I need a bit more consistency. But know I have a pro training work schedule it should go better, and with Gran Canaria in January will help going towards indoors.

Yeah I think your years with the UCDAC Monte G crew may be limited so join us oldies in hotter weather with altitude, you would enjoy this place more anyway here is the link anyway. I went ahead and booked it for 9days anyway

http://www.professionalwarmweathertraining.com/

Monday AM|Easy Run|5 miles|7.14 mile pace| 36.09
    Monday PM|Easy Run|6 miles|7.13 mile pace| 43.19

Would have never got out this morning only for I had the motivation of company with the only man I know crazy enough for 6am runs (cheers theboyblunder). Was all the better for it though and wasnt even too tired as the day progressed.

Out again tonight and all indications seem to be that I have brushed off the feelings I was getting last week and am back to myself and bar a little residual soreness and tightness which I know I will shake off as I get properly back into I am pretty much good to go again

Tuesday|Long Tempo Run|10 miles|6.30 mile pace| 1.05.00

Session: 1 mile warm up, 8 mile tempo, 1 miles easy

Splits: 8 miles in 49.15 (6.10 mile pace average)

Said to myself before this one if I could hit 6.15 average pace I would be doing well. Did this session on a 3 mile loop which had a pattern of 2 miles steady and one mile fighting a headwind. The miles into the wind were tough but held the pace and was never really racing it which was a good one. Felt I could have done a few more miles if needed which is a good sign. Happy enough that the strength is still there since the half and I am starting this block of training with a solid bit of strength so hopefully can get consistent quality work and do some damage on the PBs come the New year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

What PBs are you targetting for the new year?

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »
    What PBs are you targetting for the new year?

Looking at early race schedule its fairly sparse with Raheny 5 in January being my first chance at a PB. Ill be running the Jingle Bells 5k in a months time but given its only 6 weeks back consistent training I am not expecting too much this is just a chance at a bit of a lung buster tbh. Race Specific training phase wont start around Febuary however and has yet to be decided whether it will be 10k or marathon yet

Advertisement