Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Monday PM|Easy Run|7.63 miles|7.18 mile pace| 55.45

Tuesday|Easy Run|9 miles|7.18 mile pace| 1.06.30

Bit of DOMS in the legs today after first double and highest mileage day in a few months though nothing major just kept this one nice and handy building back the strength. Through in a few strides at the end just to keep the legs ticking over. Over the next month wont have any fast sessions more just tempo based stuff and rhythm running so the strides will be to just keep the legs in touch with some faster running so that Raheny is not a total shock. I know by then I wont be fast but hopefully should be strong

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|291 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|1/1

WTD|22.74 miles
    MTD|9 miles
    YTD|9 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ecoli wrote: »
    Thats the plan 4 months not enough time to prep properly for a decent marathon attempt so just gonna focus on national 10ks hunting down you and the other lads cant be beaten by an old foogie like yourself. After today's results looks like age is catching up on ya old man:D

Today was your best chance of the year :D DrQuirky was chasing me down the home straight as well today. We should have a good team for national at this rate, although Myself and tunguska may run as masters as we will be both over 35. Give the young whippesnappers like yourself a chance to score on the senior team ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

TRR wrote: »

Today was your best chance of the year :D DrQuirky was chasing me down the home straight as well today. We should have a good team for national at this rate, although Myself and tunguska may run as masters as we will be both over 35. Give the young whippesnappers like yourself a chance to score on the senior team ;)

35= Masters? Sweet I turned 35 2 weeks ago. Guess it does have some benefit. We should get some sort of consistent training group going- Think Luke tried to set one up last year but it fizzled a bit? (I know I flaked out)

Pretty pissed my negative kick deprived me of the glory of taking a TRR scalp (would have been a pretty bs one tho in fairness)

drquirky wrote: »

Pretty pissed my negative kick deprived me of the glory of taking a TRR scalp (would have been a pretty bs one tho in fairness)

I'm delighted it did :) hen I've beaten somebody I like to remind them no matter what bs excuse they have

Myself and tunguska may run as masters as we will be both over 35. Give the young whippesnappers like yourself a chance to score on the senior team ;)

Ah yeah ducking the competition. Are zimmerframes on the IAAF banned list yet for performance enhancing? If so your screwed old man:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Not a chance. As far as Athletics ireland are concerned I'll be 34 for the next 10 years. I'd rather gouge out my own eyes with a rusty spoon than compete in an age category.

tunguska wrote: »
    Not a chance. As far as Athletics ireland are concerned I'll be 34 for the next 10 years. I'd rather gouge out my own eyes with a rusty spoon than compete in an age category.

I'm with you. No interest in age categories. The 35 age category is absolute bull as well. Hard luck ecoli. Looks like you'll have to doctor your birth cert to get back onto the junior team :)

Looks like you'll have to doctor your birth cert to get back onto the junior team :)

Now that I am getting back into training I am beginning to think I would be lucky to make that team especially after session tonight:D

Wednesday|Broken Tempo Session|11 miles|7.14 mile pace| 1.19.35

Session 3 mile easy, 1 mile tempo, 1 mile easy, 2 mile MP, 1 mile easy, 1 miles tempo, 2 mile easy

Splits:
    3 mile easy:7.55, 7.28, 7.29
    1 mile tempo: 6.06
    1 mile easy:7.23
    2 mile MP:6.23, 6.22
    1 mile easy: 7.40
    1 mile tempo: 6.09
    2 mile easy: 8.01, 8.33

This was the first session in a long while I knew I was not going to be able to bluff since a) I have more miles in my legs this week than I have ran in a full week since October and b) it was a strength session with all continuous running.

Legs were still suffering from DOMS but it is just a case of sucking it up as I know that will subside and running on it wont make any bit of difference. The first few miles were handy though didnt loosen the legs out as much as I would have liked none the less started into the first tempo mile and was tipping along nicely the first half of it running sub 6 and feeling comfortable enough; Happy days I thought until turned a corner and had a solid wind in my face which knocked seven shades of sh!te out of me. The pace started creeping up and looked at the watch to see 6.06. First thought was game over too early for any sort of session so I would just jog it in. Decided to take a last min turn just to make up roughly an 8 miler so atleast it wouldnt be a total waste of a night.

As the easy mile went on the pace started slowly returning to normal and I wasnt feeling too bad, it was at this point the old me long lost finally decided to reer his ugly mug to remind me to dig in and dont wuss out of the session. So coming the end of the easy mile and was ready for the next hard segment of the session. Eased into this part with the aim just to get under 6.30. in the end some very even splits which was happy about but I was hurting. This session is designed to be a very light session and here I was hanging on for dear life.

Dug deep on the last hard mile but no matter how hard I went the pace wouldnt drop as much as I thought it should have with the effort being put in. In the end just happy to get it done

By the time the easy miles at the end came along I was flat on my feet and could barely stand the last mile which seemed longer than Moses' Exodus in the desert

Though I am disgusted with myself for letting myself get to this level of fitness happy to get this session done and hopefully onward and upward from here. It can only get easier right:(

A sub 28 is not gonna be as straight forward as I though for Raheny but all the same this month is just about getting the strength back so just gotta dig in deep

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|280 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|2/2

WTD|33.74 miles
    MTD|20 miles
    YTD|20 miles

Thursday|Easy Run|6 miles|7.27 mile pace| 44.45

Just a handy one tonight legs were heavy from the session the last night and the calf was a little tight (due to cramping I got on the cool down last night). Despite all the grumblings though there was light at the end of the tunnel. The DOMS is slowly starting to subside:D
    Threw in 6 hundred metre strides at the end just to keep up turnover.

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|274 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|3/3

WTD|39.74 miles
    MTD|26 miles
    YTD|26 miles

• Advertisement

Friday|Easy Run|8.48 miles|7.04 mile pace| 1.00.00

Felt good on this one was stuck for time so decided to just get as much done in the hour without pushing it. Felt good to be getting back to normal paces even though the effort was a little higher than it should be however I can get away with more steady efforts in this phase of training due to the fact that I have yet to start anything more than tempo runs. Legs still not 100% in terms of DOMS but the will get there and I reckon come recovery run Monday I will be 100%

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|265.52 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|4/4

WTD|48.22 miles
    MTD|34.48 miles
    YTD|34.48 miles

Saturday| Tempo Run|11.75 miles|7.16 mile pace| 1..25.20

Session 4 miles easy, 4 miles tempo, 3.75 miles easy

Splits: 4 miles in 23.21
    5.52, 5.51, 5.50, 5.48

Down in Galway on a course for the weekend so one of the lads showed me a solid three mile stretch along the coast around Salt Hill which was perfect for tempos. Very happy with this and felt comfortable enough the whole way through. It helped that had a nice little massage earlier as part of the course which set the legs up nicely for this one

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|253.87 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|5/5

WTD|59.97 miles
    MTD|46.13 miles
    YTD|46.13 miles

Good running- stole your tempo w/o myself and used it this morning. Similar times/ you running anything quickish on Tuesday?

drquirky wrote: »
    Good running- stole your tempo w/o myself and used it this morning. Similar times/ you running anything quickish on Tuesday?

Afraid I wont be running anything quick until after Raheny just gonna spend this month building a base so its all tempo work and odd strides thrown in after easy runs however if you are interested I will be doing cruise interval miles on thurs at the track of 1 mile reps roughly 5.45ish pace off short recovery if thats any sort of use to you?

Sunday| Easy Run|4.75 miles|7.54 mile pace| 37.34

After the massage yesterday on the course had assessment today which meant that as well as me being assessed on my sports massage skills I was also needed as a body for someone else so all in all alot of massage work over the last few days had the muscles overworked and as a result quite fatigued so I had no choice but to just keep this as a recovery run and flush out the muscles. Probably a blessing in disguise to curb the mileage given its my first week fully back and also will prob feeling great in a day or two as the legs been given so much treatment I will have ironed out kinks I didnt know I had:D

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|249.12 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|6/6

Weekly total|63.92 miles
    MTD|50.88 miles
    YTD|50.88 miles

Just stop asking for the happy endings and you won't feel as run down ;)

Just stop asking for the happy endings and you won't feel as run down ;)

Have to get some perks from the course:D

Monday|Easy Run|6.04 miles|7.54 mile pace| 47.43

Just a handy one tonight with menoscemo, pace was very handy but was a bless in disguise as legs still not 100% from the weekend

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|243.08 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|7/7

WTD|6.04 miles
    MTD|56.92 miles
    YTD|56.92 miles

Tuesday|Steady Run|6 miles|N/A mile pace| N/A

This was just one of those days that was conspiring against me. Started on the way home from work when I realised I left the Garmin in work, "not to worry" I thought to myself and just hit the 6 mile loop by the house as I knew the distance.
    Plan was to head as soon as I get home as I was fairly flaked and was a chance to get an early night. When I got home I found the brother hobble to the door to greet me. Day one of his training for the Hell and Back and he decides to go over on his ankle very heavily so I had to take a look at it. Its amazing when I first started my sports therapy course and needed bodies to practice on he was no where to be seen despite constantly begging and pleading now all of a sudden I am first port of call. After a bit of treatment to try and reduce the swelling I grabbed a bit to eat and flaked out while digested it only to doze off.
    Woke up warm and cozy which was a contrast to the cold night it had turned into outside. I had resigned myself to the night off as it was too late at this stage I just said if I am well rested can try do morning run and double tomorrow (with an 8am start in work though deep down I knew this wasn't happening but saying it was going to ease the guilt).
    All of a sudden a long forgotten voice cropped up in my head effectively giving me a Mickey-esque style "get up you son of a b!tch" speech and before you know it I was out the door and feeling great the power nap had helped big time so I pushed it to the point of comfortably hard without having to force the pace. Finished it up with 6*100m strides just to keep the turnover back. After tonight it appears that I have my mojo back which I am delighted with and managed to keep the yearly running streak alive

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|237.08 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|8/8

WTD|12.04 miles
    MTD|62.92 miles
    YTD|62.92 miles

Wednesday|Easy Run|10 miles|7.16 mile pace| 1.12.39

Cold night out there tonight. First few miles was feeling crap but after a while got into the run and after about 4 miles was over it and feeling great. Pace was quite handy but happy to get a solid run in tonight before a few faster miles tomorrow morning with a few cruise intervals

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|227.08 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|9/9

WTD|22.04 miles
    MTD|72.92 miles
    YTD|72.92 miles

• Advertisement

Thursday AM|Cruise Intervals|8 miles|N/A mile pace| N/A

Session 2 miles warm up, 5x1 mile w/1 min rec, 1 mile easy

Splits:5.44, 5.44, 5.43, 5.46, 5.40

Had the morning free today so a chance to get down to the track and break up the monotony of base training with a few cruise intervals. Met up with dr.quirky for these and was good to have company for this one simply because it kept me honest in the middle parts of the rep.
    All in all the session was very controlled and it was only in the last two reps that the legs started to get the heaviness that meant you were coming out of your comfort zone to maintain the pace without actually forcing the pace.
    Strength is coming back slowly but surely so a few more weeks and I should be strong enough

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|219.08 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|10/10

WTD|30.04 miles
    MTD|80.92 miles
    YTD|80.92 miles

Good session today there - glad we got it in early as this day just seems to be getting more miserable!

Friday|Easy Run|6 miles|7.12 mile pace| 43.12

Handy one with Meno for this one. Cant find the Cradle for the Garmin and have a sneaking suspicion I left it in Galway so had to order one in the mean time gonna make tempo style sessions awkward however just push on. I honestly thought I would get a bit more mileage in over the last two days but between study groups, shadowing and treatments and sports massages I have been alot busier than aniticipated. Not to worries as it could be a blessing in disguise to prevent me ramping up too quickly.

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|213.08 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|11/11

WTD|36.04 miles
    MTD|86.92 miles
    YTD|86.92 miles

Saturday|Easy Run|12 miles|N/A mile pace| approx 1.25.00

Still no sign of the Garmin Cradle so I have one ordered in the mean time its back to basics so tonight I went old school. No Garmin, No MP3, no watch of any sorts just my gear shoes and a 100 ideas/thoughts to keep me busy. In terms of figuring out distance went by memory here and did a known 10 mile loop followed by a mile into another loop and back (Its amazing how much running same routes you become in tune with where exactly the mile marks are). pushed on about 100m further just to compensate to make sure I wasn't cutting it short.

The run itself was handy enough as sad as it is found a novel way of keeping myself entertained. Every time I felt a creak/niggle/tightness etc I proceeded to name the muscle, follow along the kinetic chain naming connecting muscles, the the action of the muscle, naming the anatogistic muscles and there actions. Its amazing how doing this you become so much more in tune with our body, mind you by the end I had become so much of a hypochondriac that I struggled to figure out how I am still walking let alone running with all the creaks:D

Last mile I threw in a hard one for good measure and felt fairly good for it

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|201.08 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|12/12

WTD|48.04 miles
    MTD|98.92 miles
    YTD|98.92 miles

Sunday|Easy Run|6 miles|N/A mile pace| N/A

Knew today was gonna be a short day simply because there was not enough hours in the day. Was working 8-5 then I had a bit of sports massage work down the country. Not ideal but starting off I just have to take work where I can get it. This meant jumping straight in the car after work and not getting home till around 11.30 (After leaving the house just after 7 that morning).

Despite this the thought never crossed my mind about not running. I think the fact that I was constantly on the go all day meant that laziness didnt have time to creep into the head. The run itself was not pretty. The dinner had comprised of ricecakes and flavoured pretzels in the car on the way home just so I had something in the stomach.

All in all a low mileage week however I am happy I got out every day and even if I can do that and remain consistent I should get into half decent shape to be able to go back proper training next month

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|195.08 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|13/13

WTD|54.04 miles
    MTD|104.92 miles
    YTD|104.92 miles

Monday|Easy Run|5 miles|N/A mile pace| N/A

Just a handy one with one of the lads from the club tonight was tempted to push further but I was flagging a bit between work and viewing a house so left it at that for the evening. Thankfully shels4ever came to my rescue also and gave me the lend of a Garmin charger just in time for a few sessions this week and hopefully this charge will get me through till the new cradle arrives.

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|190.08 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|14/14

WTD|5 miles
    MTD|109.92 miles
    YTD|109.92 miles

Tuesday|OFF| 0 miles|N/A mile pace| N/A

Wednesday AM|Easy Run|12 miles|7.04 mile pace| 1.24.39

A 15 day streak came to an end yesterday between work, treatments and study group it came 10pm by time I had chance to run but was wrecked so this time I made a judgement call to get an early night. Normally I try to get out every day simply because once I get in a routine I am set but once days off creep in I have a tendency to let them snowball and so 1 days off can sometimes become 2 or 3. This time however no such problem and the day off was exactly what I needed. My days off for the week now so Have a bit of extra time to get a bit of training and rest around massages so get in a bit of mileage. Happy with this mornings run was very handy on a solid course up around the water works with some decent climbs. Great loop for the base mileage.

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|178.08 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|15/16

WTD|17 miles
    MTD|121.92 miles
    YTD|121.92 miles

Wednesday PM|Easy Run|6.13 miles|7.59 mile pace| 48.56

Just a handy one with meno tonight. Legs were a little laboured from this mornings run but nothing too major

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|171.95 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|15/16

WTD|23.13 miles
    MTD|128.05 miles
    YTD|128.05 miles

Thursday|Cruise Intervals|11.34 miles| mile pace|

Session:
    3.12 miles warm up, 10 x 1k w/ 40 sec recovery, 2.22 miles cooldown

Splits: 3.36, 3.29, 3.30, 3.29, 3.29, 3.28, 3.29, 3.30, 3.30, 3.29

Down to Vinny this morning to get the foot looked at. Was a niggle that cropped up last week but nothing major all the same I wanted to get it ironed out before it got worse. Foot was a little tender after the work this morning so opted out of the morning run just to give it a chance to let the foot settle.

Was down in the club with drquirky again for this one for something similar to last weeks miles session. First one I had it in my head that started the first rep a little too fast last week and so I decided to pull it back a bit but over estimated the pace and was a little sluggish so first one ended up slower than the original planned target of 3.33-3.34. After this we got moving and new few were a little fast however they were still comfortable so we went with the pace. Remained steady and was going well the legs were getting heavier as the session went on so by the last few was getting tough.

Quirky was only doing eight but given the pace was still turning out to be a great session though I knew the last two were gonna be tough on my own but managed to dig in maintain the pace which I was delighted about.

All in all a good session which gives me confidence in getting under 28 in Raheny hopefully next week

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|140.61 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny|
    Run every day|16/17

WTD|34.47 miles
    MTD|139.39 miles
    YTD|139.39 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

You have some great sessions. This is another I'll be trying when I'm back on track. You're making a steady return

Advertisement