Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Monday|Easy Run|10.75 miles|8.02 mile pace|1.00.20

This run was a bit of a joke in that weather. Miles with the wind were low sevens and I was trotting while others into the wind were practically race effort to hit 8.20s. Met up with TRR for this one and was good to have the bit of company. Legs have a major case of DOMS from yesterday but it will susbside. Start proper sessions this week so now that I have built the foundation of a routine rather than try and ramp the mileage up I am going to let that come naturally and focus on the other aspects such as nutrition, flexibility and that in the hope of improving them to aid training and let the miles creep up naturally

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|57.98 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny| 28.39
    Run every day|27/28

WTD|10.75 miles
    MTD|242.02 miles
    YTD|242.02miles

Tuesday|Session|10.25 miles| mile pace|

Rather than focusing on ramping up my mileage I am gonna let that come naturally and focus on overall well being. As a result of this I have made efforts to work on nutrition and flexibility this week so have tried cutting out the canteen food in work (not dreadfully bad but chips and sweets are not helping) so woke up with a bit of extra energy so made use of it. Slow roasted some veg and turkey for lunch and while it was cooking cracked out the P90x to do a bit of flexibility work.

What I learned this morning is that I am horribly un flexible at the moment so very much something I will aim to tackle over the next few weeks

Then on to this evening..........

Session: 1 mile warm up, 1 mile stride straights/jog bends, 20x400m w/ 100m jog rec (40-45), 2 mile cooldown

Splits
    78, 78, 81, 78, 79
    78, 80, 79, 81, 81
    80, 80, 80, 80, 80
    80, 81, 80, 82, 77

Was good to be back to in full training again and nothing better to start training than one of my favourite strength sessions. Met up with drquirky for this and was good to have company for a good chunk of this session. Wind was not as bad as I was expecting though they did get tougher as the session went on. The last 4 the legs were heavy as hell so I was digging deep to try an maintain the pace. Legs swimming the last 2/3 but dug in. Times were slow but this was just an indication that there is still a long way to go but if I can keep the sessions ticking over and keep the consistency for a few months and ill be sucking diesel :D

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|47.73 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny| 28.39
    Run every day|28/29

WTD|21 miles
    MTD|252.27 miles
    YTD|252.27 miles

Wednesday|Speed development|6.75 miles| mile pace|

2 miles easy (7.24 mile pace)
    20 min form drills
    2x200m flat out w/9 min active recovery
    4.5 miles easy (7.36 mile pace)

Splits: 27.5, 28.1

This is something new I am trying to incorporate into my training. This is in line with focusing on the supplementary aspects of training outside of just miles and letting the miles build up naturally around a good solid program. Was pleasantly surprised with the splits as I honestly didn't think I had anything more than 30 sec speed at the moment.
    The second one felt alot more smooth though this could be down to being a good bit slower none the less I was flat out again here. Was then on to the easy run. Legs were heavy here from the faster stuff but this was still technically a recovery day (given the a lactic nature of the reps its was strictly for neurological benefits for muscle recruitment hence why these were done before the run rather than after to maximise fast twitch fiber recruitment while fresh) so the mileage was kept low

Aim is to build this up over the next 12 weeks in prep for the track season to make sure that the legs have a bit of speed in them before the middle distance sessions start

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|40.98 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny| 28.39
    Run every day|29/30

WTD|27.75 miles
    MTD|259.02 miles
    YTD|259.02 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

ecoli wrote: »
    Wednesday|Speed development|6.75 miles| mile pace|

2 miles easy (7.24 mile pace)
    20 min form drills
    2x200m flat out w/9 min active recovery
    4.5 miles easy (7.36 mile pace)

Splits: 27.5, 28.1

This is something new I am trying to incorporate into my training. This is in line with focusing on the supplementary aspects of training outside of just miles and letting the miles build up naturally around a good solid program. Was pleasantly surprised with the splits as I honestly didn't think I had anything more than 30 sec speed at the moment.
    The second one felt alot more smooth though this could be down to being a good bit slower none the less I was flat out again here. Was then on to the easy run. Legs were heavy here from the faster stuff but this was still technically a recovery day (given the a lactic nature of the reps its was strictly for neurological benefits for muscle recruitment hence why these were done before the run rather than after to maximise fast twitch fiber recruitment while fresh) so the mileage was kept low

Aim is to build this up over the next 12 weeks in prep for the track season to make sure that the legs have a bit of speed in them before the middle distance sessions start

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|40.98 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny| 28.39
    Run every day|29/30

WTD|27.75 miles
    MTD|259.02 miles
    YTD|259.02 miles

Not bad 200m splits! Not bad at all. I like the look of this new bout of training you're doing. I've no idea how you did 20x400m off 45 secs the last day though....crazy! Keep up the good work anyway, if you could flip the switch on that sort of speed at the end of a 5k/10km you'd be hard enough to beat!

Not bad 200m splits! Not bad at all. I like the look of this new bout of training you're doing. I've no idea how you did 20x400m off 45 secs the last day though....crazy! Keep up the good work anyway, if you could flip the switch on that sort of speed at the end of a 5k/10km you'd be hard enough to beat!

Cheers man the 20x400 is a great 5k workout though mentally took a while to build up to. I was at 16 for a long time with the old coach before I pushed on. The session itself doesn't really start getting hard until the last 5 or so when you really have to dig in on tired legs. Given the pace the first few are actually very controlled

Yeah the last 4 weeks were about getting in shape to actually train (though admittedly probably not long enough for a base phase). The next phase of training is 6 weeks which compromises of 3 sessions a week (5k session, Hills, Tempo) coupled with a Long run and 1 Speed development day like today. I am still tinkering with exactly where to fit it in overall scheme of a week given. Had half thought of doing it on the day of a session (perhaps tempo) in order to keep easy days fully easy but because of the low reps and long recoveries I think I will get away with it while doing a short easy run after. Will just have to monitor this and make sure to keep my other easy days very easy

Aiming just to work on maximal velocity and ability to maintain it for when I drop down to 1500/5k training come may (in 6 weeks time the focus will be on 5k/10k) training. I wanna spend this summer really working on my speed at the shorter distances before I start building the strength up for Rotterdam next year come the winter

• Advertisement

Thursday|Hill Session|9 miles|7.28 mile pace| 1.06.33

Session: 3 miles easy, 8 x 1 min hills w/ 2 min jog back rec, 3.06 miles easy

Not the greatest night sleep last night however the body wasn't the worst for it. Ended up doing these out by work up by the Mount Merrion Pub and deerpark. The hill was a solid consistent climb which got steeper in the second half of the rep so it was ideal.
    Got lucky with a break in the weather as I finished work and headed straight out. Given that it was peak traffic time actually helped, with the hustle and bustle of traffic only metres away I was not given the chance with not being left a minute with my thoughts to realise how much I was hurting on these reps.
    The first few were not too bad but after four I was starting to hurt. Happy enough managed to keep the reps within roughly 5 metres in the difference between all reps so the consistency was there. Last one was just digging in to hold on but managed it. Well earned easy day tomorrow now :)

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|31.98 miles left
    Sub 28 Raheny| 28.39
    Run every day|30/31

WTD|36.75 miles
    MTD|268.02 miles
    YTD|268.02 miles

January Targets
    300 miles minimum|31.98 miles short|Fail
    Sub 28 Raheny| 28.39 (40 sec slow)|Fail
    Run every day|30/31 (1 day short)|Fail

Looking at the hard stats I didnt manage to hit any of the targets that I had set out however despite that I think the targets were effective in getting me back into where I needed to be mentally. It provided a base and from there I am to push on so I shall definitely be setting monthly targets as a regular exercise each month irregardless of whether I hit them or not it gives me the chance to highlight what aspects of my training that I need to work on and encourages me to work on that aspect so the targets will change month to month

Month|Miles Run
    January|268.02
    February|
    March|
    April|
    May|
    June|
    July|
    August|
    September|
    October|
    November|
    December|
    Total|268.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

You put in a fantastic month.

What's the Feb goals?

Feb Targets
    300 miles|
    Run every day|
    12 Supplementary Sessions|
    4 Speed Development Sessions|
    4 Recovery Runs|
    |

Targets this month are nothing too drastic.

1)Mileage one will show a bit of progression given that I have 3 days less to cover the mileage that I failed to hit in January. I am not to worried about this though as the mileage has been creeping up slowly and naturally.

2) (5) Every day running will be about consistency but I need to be smart about this given that I am back in sessions I will be making more of an effort to put in an active recovery day once a week which couples with the last target

3)This is simply to improve on flexibility and staying injury free. I hope to get to a stage where I am doing Strength and conditioning, Flexibility, plyometrics or Yoga most days but gonna start modest with 3 sessions a week

4) I want to work on maximum velocity speed consistantly over the next 10 weeks before I go into specific track training to prepare my body to be able to run high speeds relaxed. This is one of the weaknesses which I want to work on over this summer in order to try an being me to a new level for when I build back up to the longer distances in the Winter in preparation for Rotterdam next April. Despite distinct short term targets and training phases there is always a long term target in mind and everything is working towards that

Friday|Easy Run|6.01 miles|7.19 mile pace|44.00

Just a handy one tonight body welcomed it though as I was heavy legged but despite this the pace was fine while being very handy

Saturday|Long Tempo|9.00 miles| 6.13 mile pace| 55.57

Session: 1 mile easy, 7 miles Tempo, 1 mile easy

Splits: 7 miles in 41.22 (5.55 min pace)

Was on sports therapy course all day which meant the legs were fairly heavy from treatment work so I was not expecting too much from this however despite being heavy the body was loose as hell so I felt good and what started at target pace of 6.15 turned out to be sub 6s without too much effort and always felt it control. Rolled on the last two miles and decided to crank it up without forcing the pace was was delighted to see them paces come so easy. All in all a good days work just hope that I can replicate this week and string a few back to back

Feb Targets
    300 miles|284.99 left
    Run every day| 2/2
    4 Recovery Runs|

• Advertisement

Sunday|Long Run|14 miles| 7.14 mile pace| 1.41.19

Another day on my course meant that the legs were loose but heavy none the less ticked on handy enough for this run. The miles rattled away so quickly I was delighted. Tough enough trip home however as it was out and back and the back consisted off a stiff enough head wind the whole way back

Feb Targets
    300 miles|270.99 left
    Run every day| 3/3
    4 Recovery Runs|

Weekly mileage|65.76 miles
    MTD|29.01 miles
    YTD|297.03 miles

Monday|Recovery Run|4.75 miles| 9.29 mile pace| 45.01

This one was just to flush the legs out and recover from last week and prepare for this weeks training. I took this very seriously. This is one aspect of my training that I did not address as much last year and I ended updoing without which probably affected the consistency so it is something I intend on making sure I get in once a week

Feb Targets
    300 miles|266.24 left
    Run every day| 4/4
    4 Recovery Runs|1/4

Weekly mileage|4.75 miles
    MTD|33.76 miles
    YTD|301.78 miles

Tuesday|Hill Session|10.65 miles| 7.31 mile pace|1.20.07

Session: 3.75 miles easy, 8 x 75 sec hills (approx 300m) w/ 2 min jog back down rec, 3.47 miles easy

Legs were alot fresher after the recovery day yesterday. Ended up over estimating the warm up slightly but c'est la vie. Felt good and strong but I was kinda worried that I went off too hard in the first rep but that was only the beginning as this was the shortest one of the lot.

By the fifth one the body was shot form was all over the place but as if by magic my MP3 answered my prayers in the form of a techno fairy spouting the words "get the f^*k up" followed by a heavy bass and I dug in and was back. last three were the furthest of the session so I was delighted that I was able to dig in and find that bit extra.

Feb Targets
    300 miles|255.59 left
    Run every day| 4/4
    4 Recovery Runs|1/4

Weekly mileage|15.4 miles
    MTD|44.41 miles
    YTD|312.43 miles

Out of interest, what 'type' of hill would you do this workout on, in terms of incline?

Out of interest, what 'type' of hill would you do this workout on, in terms of incline?

The hill I would do at the moment is up by Mount Merrion Pub/ St Teresa;s church near deerpark if you know that area. I run along North Ave in terms of direction

Always try to get these fairly steep working on form and strength so the effort is fairly high on these probably around 2k-3k effort

Other hills that I have used in the past which would compare to it would be ticknock (slightly steeper IIRC) and Bournabreena Church

To be honest havent a clue on elevation profiling stick to the idea if it looks steep and hard it generally will do the job for these shorter reps :D

Cheers! So for the Phoenix park, it would be something steeper than the Khyber?

Cheers! So for the Phoenix park, it would be something steeper than the Khyber?

yes would be closer to military hill than kyber

Wednesday|Speed Development|5.5 miles| mile pace|

Session
    2 miles easy,
    speed drills,
    4x80m accelerations
    3x150m flat out w/ 6 min active rec
    2 miles easy

Splits:19.8, 20.0, 20.2

Morning ended up doing a bit of flexibility work. Had a study group for the sports massage group this morning so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and working on alot of facilitated flexibility work and post isometric relaxation techniques to try maximize flexibility work.

Back again for a bit of speed. Track was fairly empty tonight which was ideal. Effectively me a small group of juveniles and two other lads doing sessions with mind boggling splits (a sub 14 5k guy and another sub 31 10k guy so obviously I was a bit out of place).

Felt a bit of a wimp with the lads getting nearly getting two 400m reps for each of my 150s. Happy enough with the splits but still have a long way to go to drill a bit of speed into these slow legs of mine

Feb Targets
    300 miles|250.09 left
    Run every day| 6/6
    12 Supplementary Sessions| 1/1
    4 Speed Development Sessions| 1/1
    4 Recovery Runs|1/4

Weekly mileage|20.9 miles
    MTD|49.91 miles
    YTD|317.93 miles

Thursday AM|Easy Run|4.8 miles| 7.22 mile pace| 35.22

Hammys were a little tight from last night and the the weather was miserable between the ice cold rain and wind cutting through me. Despite the grunts and groans I was in good spirits as managed to get my ticket for Springsteen this morning :D

Hopefully this will loosen out the legs for session tonight

Feb Targets
    300 miles|245.29 left
    Run every day| 7/7
    4 Recovery Runs|1/4

Weekly mileage|25.7 miles
    MTD|55.71 miles
    YTD|322.73 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Seen Springsteen several times myself - including his current tour. He's old school - never an opening act (at least not here in the states) and he plays until he's basically thrown off stage. He gives it 110% - you'll have a blast! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Seen Springsteen several times myself - including his current tour. He's old school - never an opening act (at least not here in the states) and he plays until he's basically thrown off stage. He gives it 110% - you'll have a blast! :)

+1

I saw him in '09 at the RDS. one of the best gigs I've been to, despite the fact that I went with my mother! He played for 3 and a half hours and made up the set-list as he went along. Brilliant!

Dory Dory wrote: »

There supporting acts this year both the Sat and Sunday but I made sure to get the Saturday because its an amazing line up with Damien Dempsey and Glen Hansard (dont mind Imelda May but the first day more my cup of tea)

Its a full day thing though with gates opening at 10.30 am and him coming on stage at 12.30 so should be a great weekend (Think I may even have to schedule a rest weekend that weekend:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oooo...love Imelda May myself....I assume, then, she's on Sunday. You'll def get your money's worth....and I'm pretty sure he'll be grinding this tune out with all his heart....and Clarence Clemons' nephew Jake fills the big guy's shoes pretty well. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Agreed w Dory and Oregano- seen him 5 times now and amazing live good line up as well with Damo Dempsey etc.

Thursday PM|Session|13 miles| mile pace|

Session:
    3.25 mile warm up
    Drills
    1 mile jog bends/stride straights
    10 x 800m w/ 75 sec recovery (jog 200m)
    2.5 miles easy

Splits: 2.43, 2.43, 2.42, 2.43, 2.43, 2.43, 2.43, 2.44, 2.43, 2.38

Glutes and Hamstrings still feeling the effects of the Speed stuff last night so I knew this session was not gonna be fun. Usually its about half way through the session before the legs feel this fatigued but none the less knew it had to be done.
    Legs loosened out a bit with the warm up and drills. Very happy with the consistency of the reps and the effort was certainly there. They will welcome the easy day tomorrow though (something which is becoming a routine for Fridays now)

Feb Targets
    300 miles|232.29 left
    Run every day| 7/7
    4 Recovery Runs|1/4

Weekly mileage|38.7 miles
    MTD|68.71 miles
    YTD|335.73 miles

Friday AM|Easy Run|8 miles| 7.41 mile pace|

Up early this morning. The car is in getting the window fixed and I thought I would have it back last night however due to the the motor being gone in the window meant it needed a whole new part so I wont have it back till this evening which meant that there was an enforced unscheduled double day today so an early start this morning and a dragged out struggle to resist the lure of staying under the covers and. Pace was slow simply because legs were tired and stiff from last two days and body hadnt quite woken up yet none the less done and dusted now so a few hours before I have to make the round trip

Feb Targets
    300 miles|224.29 left
    Run every day| 8/8
    4 Recovery Runs|1/4

Weekly mileage|46.7 miles
    MTD|76.71 miles
    YTD|343.73 miles

Friday PM|Easy Run|7 miles| 7.40 mile pace| 53.46

In the spirit of having purpose to every run this was the most purposeful run I have done in a long while. The purpose; simply to make it home. The legs were like lead today and the early start did not help though I battled on and just didnt give up. I had to barter with my body offering it every treat under the sun; Take away pizza, few beers anything to get it to get me home (I didnt stick to my word though dont worry:D)

Feb Targets
    300 miles|217.29 left
    Run every day| 8/8
    4 Recovery Runs|1/4

Weekly mileage|53.7 miles
    MTD|83.71 miles
    YTD|350.73 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

ecoli wrote: »
    I had to barter with my body offering it every treat under the sun; Take away pizza, few beers anything to get it to get me home (I didnt stick to my word though dont worry:D)

Had to laugh when i seen this, add in a couple of episodes of band of brothers and you had my friday night down to a tee, guess some people have more will power than others ;)

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Had to laugh when i seen this, add in a couple of episodes of band of brothers and you had my friday night down to a tee, guess some people have more will power than others ;)

Work weekends so tends to keep me honest as most of the time my days off dont coincide with the Mon-Fri brigade so it helps to keep me disciplined somewhat (most of the time)

Still have yet to see that its on my to watch list (Which is becoming endless at this stage with how busy work and sports therapy course keeps me)

• Advertisement

Saturday|OFF| miles| mile pace|

One of those days which just conspired against me. Started with running a little late in work. Got a call about meeting up to try and finalize details for moving into a new house this week. I kinda had to show up to this but in the end it was very unproductive. This had me late for a family meal which had been arranged so by the time I eventually had a chance to run it was 11.30 and the gut was stuff from a pretty epic meal. I had to admit defeat on this occasion and end my streak which has been going about 3 and a half weeks. Still not too worried about it and forcing a run in the end would have been counter productive so I chose the sensible option and got a good night sleep :)

Sunday|Easy Run|6 miles| 6.51 mile pace| 41.12

Given the missed day yesterday the plan was to do a steady long run so out the door and immediately kicked into around 6.40 pace. Was feeling good and the pace was handy though the calves were yet to loosen out. Next few miles rattled off in the 6.30s without too much distress expect the calves were getting worse. I thought it could be laces tied too tight so stopped and redid them, but no joy. By mile 5 the foot was actually asleep and I knew I was gonna do damage by going over on it or something because foot was completely dead so any sort of uneven landing could put me in trouble so I ended up cutting it at 6.

A good bit of stretching after and finally the legs came around. I think I will have to put this down to the day off coupled with no easing into the session, this was just my bodies way of telling me it doesnt react that quickly and punishing me for the day off:D

Given the weekend the mileage was a good bit lower than planned yet it was still consistent with the mileage this year (roughly 60-65 mpw) though this will start to have to increase over the next few weeks I reckon

Weekly mileage|59.7 miles
    MTD|89.71 miles
    YTD|356.73 miles

Monday|Sprinter Circuits| miles|mile pace|
    Monday|Easy Run|6.12 miles| 7.10 mile pace| 43.56

Went down to the club last week and happened to notice the work the sprinters were doing included alot of the kinda work I should be doing in prep for the track season so decided to try and hop in once a week with the sprinters to do there circuit work so tonight headed down and jumped in.

Started off with a 12 conditioning circuit with 30 sec at each session. We ended up doing two circuits of this with 4 min rec between sets. This was only us getting started however as we then moved on to another circuit comprised of hurdle work for hip mobility and plyometrics. 90 min later and we were coming to the end and the legs were feeling it but was holding my own and hanging in.

Finished this up and off for a short run where they legs felt heavy as hell yet surprisingly energetic.

Felt it today mind you but it will definitely stand to me and I really do need to make this a weekly thing

Feb Targets
    300 miles|204.17 left
    Run every day| 11/2
    12 Supplementary Sessions| 3/3
    4 Recovery Runs|1/4

Weekly mileage|6.12 miles
    MTD|95.83 miles
    YTD|362.85 miles

Advertisement