Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Monday|Recovery Run|5.29 miles|7.52 mile pace|41.36

A bit of a mixed bag on this one ended up running with two of the lads I used to train with. We had a 400m sprinter just coming back from injury, a distance lad a little worse for wear post Paddy's day, and myself who was feeling the hills from the race the day before big time so was good to keep this one handy

Tuesday|Time Trial|miles| mile pace|

See report previous

Wednesday|Easy Run + Strides|9.5 miles| 7.06 mile pace|1.07.27

Into next phase of training now and working back a bit of strength as I know this has been lacking somewhat however the focus had been on developing raw speed the last while so I am not too worried and I know this will come back to me quick enough. Kept the pace handy despite this being a probably one of the hillier routes I have found since moving to the new house. This was replacing my speed development sessions had been doing previously but to keep in touch with speed I plan on doing frequent strides after easy runs as the mileage climbs a bit

A day of bad choices

Thursday|Session|10 miles| mile pace|

Session1.5 miles easy, 1 mile jog bends/ stride straights
    8x1km w/ 75 sec rec (200 jog recovery)
    1.5 miles easy

Splits: 3.25, 3.28, 3.28, 3.28, 3.28, 3.28, 3.29, 3.26

This was one of those sessions which after your cool down before any sort of post workout recovery is done you should be getting a psychological evaluation to question why on earth anyone would be attracted to this sport :D

On the warm up my initial reaction was "body doesn't feel good today" and was wondering was it better to push this back till the next day (Body seems like a sensible chap in hindsight). The thing that kept me going was the fact that my former training partner is getting back into shape and as such I said I would meet him for the session as it was his first session back. (1st bad choice)

In the end we also had one of the Middle distance guys hoping in doing sixes. The set up was perfect for me as I had one of the lads running the first 800 with me and then the other lad jumping in at 400m to push me when I started to hurt.

I dont know whether it was ego or just habit of starting at the usual spot but end up running into the wind for three of the 200ms as opposed to having the wind on our backs for majority (2nd bad choice)

The target time was 3.25 but in hindsight after the first one I knew that with the wind wasnt gonna be possible to maintain that.

Rather than have the lads as a way of blocking the wind though I felt the stupid compulsion to control the pace so even when I wasn't leading I was on the shoulder of one of the guys pushing the pace to ensure I was hitting consistent splits and working into the wind (The trifecta of poor decisions for the day)

All in all the decisions made throughout the course of the night made this a b!iatch of a session still all in all I am really happy with it and the manor I ran them. Given my recent race history of going off too fast it was good to start more moderately and pushing the pace in the second half of these reps.

Im now off to find the least windy country in the world to start planning a racing tour there for the summer.I think I have had enough wind this year to last me a life time (environmentally as opposed to personal :D)

Weekly mileage|31.79 miles
    MTD|119.16 miles
    YTD|592.63 miles

Friday|Easy Run|6 miles| 7.23 mile pace| 44.18

Pressed for time with this one after work to get into town to watch the match

Saturday|OFF| miles| mile pace|

Sleep deprived from a late one the night before I said I would get a nap after work. 4 hours later and it was nearly 11 :o

Sunday|Easy Run|8 miles| 6.50 mile pace| 54.48

This one was kept short simply because I was wrecked. Was down at the Craughwell 10 miler doing massage work for the day. First time doing post event work and was a killer on the body as you didnt have a break as the conveyor belt of athletes kept coming. I think I would have been less tired today if I actually had raced the 10 miler :D Great race mind you and well organised

Weekly mileage|45.79 miles
    MTD|133.16 miles
    YTD|606.63 miles

Monday|Easy Run|8 miles|7.30ish mile pace|

Met up with tRR for this one. Was good to have the company. Battery died about 5 miles in so exact figures out the window but all in all just a handy one

Tuesday |Session|7 miles|mile pace|

Session:
    2 mile warm up,
    drills + 1 mile jog bends/ stride straights
    3x800, 3x600 w/2.30 recovery

Splits:2.29, 2.31, 2.34, 1.54, 1.54, 1.56

Tough session today as the plan was faster work but the weather conspired against me. Strong head wind and a freak blizzard half way through meant the effort was far too high at the start and ended up cutting the last three reps shorter.
    Not the greatest session but given the weather we are having it is better than nothing just getting it in

Wednesday|Easy Run|8 miles|7.20 mile pace|58.03

A handy one with drquirky in the park today. Day off so had a good sleep last night which helped recharge he batteries. Legs felt beter for it today

Thursday|Session|8.5 miles| mile pace|

Session
    2 miles warm up,
    5x1 mile w/ 2 min rec
    1.5 miles cooldown

Splits: 5.29, 5.32, 5.31, 5.33, 5.36

What used to be my bread and butter type of sessions have now become a struggle. With the focus change this season I know the strength I usually have is not going to be present however it is taking my mind a little longer to realise this.
    Again met up with dr quirky for this one and it was good to have the company but the legs never felt comfortable throughout this. I dunno whether it was just the fact I didn do my usual longer warm up and drills, or walking the recoveries instead of jogging, or just simply a bad day but this was tough enough.
    I reckon the GIR should be okay strength wise provided that I dont do anything stupid but I just need to keep the focus and realise this season is not one where I will be to compare to my normal approach so I need to stop trying to evaluate my fitness of previous years and just focus on developing my ability over more middle distance paces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

ecoli wrote: »
    I dunno whether it was just the fact I didn do my usual longer warm up and drills, or walking the recoveries instead of jogging, or just simply a bad day but this was tough enough.

Maybe it was just that you ran 5 mile reps at 5.30 mile pace :rolleyes:. That's some going. Best of luck in the GIR. I had a look at the course this morning and the second half looks very tough.

Maybe it was just that you ran 5 mile reps at 5.30 mile pace :rolleyes:. That's some going. Best of luck in the GIR. I had a look at the course this morning and the second half looks very tough.

Sorry should have clarified it was my legs that were feeling like it was tough. I didnt really get into my stride. The pace then kicked in later :D

Yeah from what I know (haven't ran this race in a few years) the first 5k is pretty quick so I think for me and fact I am lacking in strength I will try take first half handy enough and after that dig in for dear life:P

Getting way to lazy with this so needed to update. Will give you the main highlights of the last two weeks. Mileage not amazing (averaging 50s)

Tuesday|Session| miles| mile pace|

Session
    2 miles warm up,
    5x400 mile w/ 90 sec rec
    2 miles cooldown

Splits:67, 68, 69, 70, 71 36*

First one of these I went out way too hard the first 200m (31) which effectively ruined my session and pulled up early. Speed is definitely there but this trait has ruined a few sessions now and is something I will have to be more disciplined about

Thursday|Session| miles| mile pace|

Session
    2 miles warm up,
    2x2k + 1 mile w/ 3 min rec
    1.5 miles cooldown

Splits: 6.53, 6.58, 5.39

Again another failed session this was supposed to be 4*2k but legs just felt like crap

Tuesday|Session| miles| mile pace|

Session
    2 miles warm up,
    24x200 mile w/ 200 jog rec (70 sec)
    1.5 miles cooldown

Splits:
    31, 35, 35, 33, 36 ,34, 34, 35, 34, 35, 34, 34,
    34, 34, 35, 35, 34, 35, 35, 34, 35, 35, 35, 31

This was a handy enough session just about rhythm running but did the job as kept me disciplined as I went back to my old methodology of training for it just to boost the confidence a bit (mission accomplished)

Thursday|Session| miles| mile pace|

Session
    2 miles warm up,
    4x200, 2x400, 800, 2x400, 4x200 (200 jog between all)
    2 miles cooldown

Splits:
    34, 35, 33, 33
    75, 74
    76, 76,
    34, 35, 32, 32

Had the middle distance group jump in with me for this one. Really happy with how it went as it is the fastest I have ever managed to both, do this session and fastest ever 800m in training so gave me a bit of confidence for the weekend.

I know I dont have my usual strength but I think its probably a good thing I am slightly under cooked and if I run the right race I feel a low 35 should be doable

• Advertisement

Was looking forward to this one. Had a friends birthday last night but was really good and stayed on the water for the night and was home by twelve so felt good waking up this morning.

This was the first race in a long while where I had got the general race day nerves that I normally get running through my usually race morning routine of french toast a coffee and a few select you tube clips

Was in Phoenix park in plenty of time and bumped into drquirky just in time to see the elite mile. At this stage I had evaluated the wind and thought it was mild enough and could actually work to our advantage on the course.

Then warmed up with quirky and TRR and soon reevaluated that as we got into the open and felt the full wrath of the wind it was almost comical and it was at this point we all knew we would probably be better off leaving the watches in the car

A few drills then and I was ready to go. Given my propensity recently to going out to hard I made it a point to go off conservatively.

Gun went and I was off and true to my word I took it very conservatively slotting in behind people to shelter from the wind up chesterfield avenue and I was hitting 5.38ish pace and though to myself perfect I was feeling really comfortable turned then and had the wind on my back and this even crept down slightly but still running very handy. Mile 1: 5.35.

Next mile more of the same and I was feeling pretty good. We turned into the wind then and did my best to slot into a group and try and shelter from the wind and to an extent it worked but I think this was more down to it being a cross wind moreso that the group breaking the wind. Mile 2 : 5.35

At this stage the mind was getting a litte greedy and started to realise that I was on PB pace. Even though this was the easier half of the course the fact that I was feeling controlled and relaxed let the mind start to think this was a bit of a possibility. This mile we had the downhill on Kyber where I would have thought I would have made some decent time however the wind was stopping that from happening and despite the downhill the pace actually slowed a bit as a result of the wind. Mile 3: 5.39

Turned then up Military hill and I pushed up fairly well. Alot of people were starting to hurt here so I was passing left and right however it was as I came over the summit of the incline my body started to remind me that the speed that I have been developing over the last while has come at a cost. Facing into the wind the lack of endurance was starting to kick in. Mile 4 : 6.10

Next mile I was battling into the wind up the Upper Glen road and I was hurting. Thoughts of dropping out came into play but just kept reminding myself that I was still third scorer on the team. This was short lived as I caught the sight of DrQuirky coming barrelling up on my shoulder and passing me. Mile 5: 6.13

In the Furry Glen and I had somehow managed to omit a nasty little climb from my recollection of the course which nearly destroyed me. Came out the other side and noticed that despite quirky pushing ahead , not to mention the fact that I was hurting, he wasn't actually gaining any ground on me so I dug in and went after him. To my surprise he started coming back to me. Mile 6: 6.09

Last 400m I managed to crank it up a bit and put in a bit of a gap but not exactly a trademark strong finish to finish in

All in all a very terrible time but happy in the effort. I know I dont have the strength at the moment because the focus has been on speed and if I had track races I may have had a different outlook on results. Perhaps it could just be me getting used to mediocre performances of late though, I am not sure.

The training see's a change back to my more usual approach as of tomorrow though so hopefully that strength will return soon and I can bring the speed into translate to faster times in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭oldrunner

I think I was one place ahead of you. Exact same result in Raheny 5.
    Some coincedence given the numbers out.

oldrunner wrote: »
    I think I was one place ahead of you. Exact same result in Raheny 5.
    Some coincedence given the numbers out.

Will have to keep an eye out for you next time

Solid run today man I thought I had you in the last km but you were strong

I was supposed to update this last night but with everything going in it didn't seem appropriate.

Effectively I have a year now until the marathon debut in Rotterdam. The last few months I have been working on my speed in the hope to try and translate this improvement of basic speed to better performances over the longer distances. Looking at my PBs from distances there is very little drop off between paces for 5k to HM which means a) 5k time needs revising, but also b) if I can improve that 5k time I should be able to get strong enough to keep that relationship between paces closer together and crack a decent time over the longer distances.

To an extent the speed development has been successful and I do feel alot faster over the shorter distances than I ever had. This was made apparent over last few weeks when I have clocked some fast splits in training (in particular 200s and my fastest ever 800 in training and an optimistic 1500m time trial). The only issue is that around this I have been a bit on the lazy side regarding my strength, which is usually my strong point and as a result have had some of my slowest 5 mile and 10k times in races as of late. From here the plan is to build back up the strength while keeping in touch with the new found speed I have.

I will be racing track a good bit over the summer and hope to crack a few PBs at the shorter distances but always looking to the long term

Ultimate goal would be to break 2.30 and I will aim towards that till I get nearer the time and from there I can evaluate if it is realistic or not. In the mean time the 1st goal will be to get well under 75 shape for a half. I will need to be if I plan to maintain it for double that distance.

The title refers to the breakdown of mileage that I need roughly over the next 365 days so 4000 miles for the year which is roughly 75 mpw average, 10.5-11 miles per day hence the 0.5 miles an hour (roughly)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'm glad our horror stories on Sunday have managed to inspire you Ecoli!!:pac:

• Advertisement

Monday|Easy Run| 9.71 miles|7.12 mile pace|1.10.00

The plan was to get out on this one straight after work but ended up glued to the athlete tracker for a few of the boardsies in Boston so it was nearly 7 by the time I got out

Headed out for a very handy one. The pace surprised me as it was a hilly loop and I was taking it very handy due to abit of heaviness in the hammy's from the race the day before. Bumped into my house mate coming around the corner to the house to hear the news from Boston and was in total shock

Was relieved to hear many of the boardsies were okay but the more I thought about it the more I kept thinking the horrible inevitablity that somewhere someone was not going to hear the same news about someone they knew running there.

There is one image from which I saw pop up on facebook that will stick with me forever. A runner being wheelchaired away from the scene after losing lower part of his leg. Just made me think how any minute the passion we have for this sport can be taken away for what ever reason so to run every run like it may be our last.

Between this and the accidental bombing of the Afgan wedding yesterday really does make you think of the world we live in.

Mileage left: 3990.29 miles till Rotterdam

belcarra wrote: »
    I'm glad our horror stories on Sunday have managed to inspire you Ecoli!!:pac:

Ah Rotterdam was always the target. Will make sure to bring sun cream mind you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Ambitious goals, fair play. I look forward to seeing this plan in action! There's a whole track season to exploit first, though. Are you going to start the marathon training once after the track stuff is over, or are you going to start increasing the mileage straight away?

Ambitious goals, fair play. I look forward to seeing this plan in action! There's a whole track season to exploit first, though. Are you going to start the marathon training once after the track stuff is over, or are you going to start increasing the mileage straight away?

The next 24 weeks are aimed at getting stronger so the basic layout will be

Session 1 on alternating weeks - 1500 paced/ 3k-5k paced
    Session 2 on alternating weeks - HMP paced work/ MP paced work
    Session 3 on alternating weeks - Long run/ Steady mid length run

Previously I have ran 3 sessions and a long run per week which is probably a bit excessive so by alternating between a 2 session week and 3 session week it gives me a bit of leeway to add some speed development work once every two weeks so despite mileage going up I wont be marathon specific until end of October.

Very much based off Mark Hadley's (American coach) training approach and has worked well for me in the past (Last year went from shockingly unfit (17.34 5k and 11.12 Steeple) to PB in steeple in 10.27 and PB in HM by nearly a min in the space of 10 weeks )

Hadn't originally planned on doing a HM cycle before the Full training but speed has gone well and I feel that I just need to get myself back into a slightly more rigid setting as the general plan for speed devekopment was there but there was too much room for me to be flexible with the schedule that I dont think it led to a conducive training approach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

That's some target for a first marathon..... but one i have no doubt you will achieve. Best of Luck with the training for Rotterdam

Younganne wrote: »
    That's some target for a first marathon..... but one i have no doubt you will achieve. Best of Luck with the training for Rotterdam

Its an ideal target. The plan will be to aim big in an attempt to make me realise that I can't let up in training though at the same time it will be evaluated nearer the time depending on my shape and whether it is realistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

wow, I'll be following this with interest. best of luck.

This weeks Sessions
    24*200m w/200 recovery (1.10 jog)
    4 mile tempo
    13 miles Steady

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cracking target ecoli, and one which will require much dedication and hard work. No better man for the job. So, do you want us to berate you, if we notice you slacking off in training? ;)

Cracking target ecoli, and one which will require much dedication and hard work. No better man for the job. So, do you want us to berate you, if we notice you slacking off in training? ;)

Oh don't worry G I fully expect people to though you may have to fight tRR for the pole position there, that man is always good for a bit of abuse. There has been far too many excuses over the last 8 months on this thread and though there was a bit of improvement over the last few months, and I have been getting the sessions in, there was still a good bit of laziness and lack of conviction that I used to have so I need to get that back

Besides really have to step it up if I am to keep within an asses roar of the current crop of boardsies between yourself drquirky, Kiely, tRR, smoore,ronnie085 and the many others leaving me in there wake :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ELFOYZER

Best of luck e-coli. Will be following your journey with envy and great interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Besides really have to step it up if I am to keep within an asses roar of the current crop of boardsies between yourself drquirky, Kiely, tRR, smoore,ronnie085 and the many others leaving me in there wake :D
    Flattering to be listed among that group of youngsters (except tRR). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Thats a serious goal, looking forward to reading about your adventures on the way there....and then the Gerry Duffy style book and speaking tour :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good stuff- you're gonna get some great times out of this- psyched to see what you can do in the marathon...

Flattering to be listed among that group of youngsters (except tRR). ;)

Someone has to keep the whipper snappers in line (Which includes tRR who is a kid trapped in an old mans body :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Best of luck with the goal , a few of the raheny lads showed how its done over the weekend, No its upto Tallaght to respond...

shels4ever wrote: »
    Best of luck with the goal , a few of the raheny lads showed how its done over the weekend, No its upto Tallaght to respond...

tRR looking like he has it on the radar and who knows if Tunguska gets fit we could get a few heading over there for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

In fairness, there were a fair few Sportsworld singlets up near the top in the Great Ireland Run at the weekend. You'll have some good company to train with going for your 2.30 target. Really looking forward to seeing how you approach this goal. Always some good information in your blog and I've no doubt that now you have a tough goal to aim for, you'll work hard and get it.

In fairness, there were a fair few Sportsworld singlets up near the top in the Great Ireland Run at the weekend. You'll have some good company to train with going for your 2.30 target. Really looking forward to seeing how you approach this goal. Always some good information in your blog and I've no doubt that now you have a tough goal to aim for, you'll work hard and get it.

Next 16 weeks will be about Fundamental running fitness so while building strength I will not ever stretch too far away from any one speed or focus on one too much so sessions will be roughly as follows (pending races etc);

1500-3k pace
    24*200 w 1.10 jog
    20*400 w 1.15 jog
    24*200 w 1.10 jog
    16*300 w 1.45 jog
    12*400 w/ 1.45 jog
    20*400 w 1.15 jog

3k-5k paced
    7*1000 w 2.30 jog
    6*1600 w 2.30 jog
    6*1200 w/ 3.00 jog
    6*1600 w 2.30 jog
    8*1000 w 2.30 jog
    6*1600 w 2.30 jog

HMP
    4 mile tempo
    5 mile tempo
    7x1 mile w 1 min rec
    5 mile Progression
    3x2 mile w 2.00 jog
    5 mile tempo

MP
    8 mile tempo
    10 mile tempo
    4*2.5 mile tempo
    10 mile Progression
    2x5 mile w 5 min jog
    10 mile tempo
    4x 2.5 mile tempo

Steady State Running
    13 miles steady
    15 miles steady
    15 miles steady
    15 miles steady
    15 miles steady
    15 miles steady

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Oh don't worry G I fully expect people to though you may have to fight tRR for the pole position there, that man is always good for a bit of abuse.

Abuse? I call it constructive criticism!

How many of them went sub 2.30 though ;)

Advertisement