Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

drquirky wrote: »
    Any interest in a "no watch" showdown on Tuesday night? I'm starting to come around to TRR's thinking in this regard (esp for 5k and shorter)

Looks like it could be some dull race reports but might be worth a try alright:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ecoli wrote: »
    You talk a fair amount of sh!te most of the time but for once you hit the nail on the head.

ha ha. ya fecker ya. Last time I'll give you some of my magnificent insight!

drquirky wrote: »
    Any interest in a "no watch" showdown on Tuesday night? I'm starting to come around to TRR's thinking in this regard (esp for 5k and shorter)

listen men, it's the way to go. Pick out somebody faster than you and hang on their shoulder for the first half and then try to nang on or pass them in the second half. A watch only acts as a distraction and when you feel the burn can mess with the mind telling you to ease off if the average pace looks too fast or destroy your finish if the average pace is too slow.

It's a fcuking race. If you want a time trial save yourselves the travel and entry costs, hold hands and run a time trial around Tymon park.

TRR wrote: »
    ha ha. ya fecker ya. Last time I'll give you some of my magnificent insight!

Last bit of advice you gave before this was tempting me to stuff my face full of biscuits. Ya were like the witch in Hansel and Gretel trying to plump me up just so you have a bit of company :D

Last bit of advice you gave before this was tempting me to stuff my face full of biscuits. Ya were like the witch in Hansel and Gretel trying to plump me up just so you have a bit of company :D

Well I hadn't realised you'd eaten a mars bar and 2 cans of redbull before you called up to chez TRR. Would have been breaking out the fruit for you!

• Advertisement

Well I hadn't realised you'd eaten a mars bar and 2 cans of redbull before you called up to chez TRR. Would have been breaking out the fruit for you!

You can't be giving away them nutrition secrets......

...... It will affect the sales of my nutrition book to be released later this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Hey ecoli, I was a bit surprised too to hear you settling into mid pack in the C grade. To be honest, from some of the sessions that you've been nailing (which look incredible to someone like me), I would have thought you would be in the B grade. I can see if you're not feeling confident, that "dropping down" and racing at the front of the C grade looks sensible. Just catching up on others comments and you know yourself that they make sense. Just remember that you ARE nailing some incredible sessions and should and will be hitting a low 4:2x before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

listen men, it's the way to go. Pick out somebody faster than you and hang on their shoulder for the first half and then try to nang on or pass them in the second half. A watch only acts as a distraction and when you feel the burn can mess with the mind telling you to ease off if the average pace looks too fast or destroy your finish if the average pace is too slow.

It's a fcuking race. If you want a time trial save yourselves the travel and entry costs, hold hands and run a time trial around Tymon park.

You sound like my very effective and talented swimming coach from way back when. Great advice.

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Thursday|Easy run|5 miles|6.45 mile pace| 33.43

I dunno whether a race just gets the body used to working or that but I felt good today and the legs felt decent so just went with the pace, didn't push it but didn't curb it either.

Cleanman wrote: »
    Hey ecoli, I was a bit surprised too to hear you settling into mid pack in the C grade. To be honest, from some of the sessions that you've been nailing (which look incredible to someone like me), I would have thought you would be in the B grade. I can see if you're not feeling confident, that "dropping down" and racing at the front of the C grade looks sensible. Just catching up on others comments and you know yourself that they make sense. Just remember that you ARE nailing some incredible sessions and should and will be hitting a low 4:2x before long.

I ended up in Grade B in the 800m and was trailed off the back for the majority of it (including a 27-28 opening 200) so I figured that it was the sensible move especially with one of the club runners (a 4.12 man at best) doing the race I knew I would not be out in front. I settled into mid back as I felt the pace was where I wanted as I was afraid to go out too hard and die again. Not wearing the watch in this race so was on feel. Admittedly some of my sessions have been good in isolation but its the in betweens that has been a bit lack lustred and havent strang consistent heavy training for a while so most of the time I am probably fairly fresh going into the sessions

• Advertisement

Friday|Easy run|10 miles|7.08 mile pace| 1.11.22

Absolutely perfect evening for running. Being so good I was a man on a mission to take full advantage of it by using the park to its fullest. This is probably the most running I have done on grass in a few years as the majority of my runs are on the road. Managed to even find a few new little fields and loops where I don't normally run.

Its nights like this evening that make training easy

Saturday|Easy run|6.01 miles|7.32 mile pace| 45.22

Dozed off after work and once I got up I knew I was gonna have company on this run; the training mind and the lazy sh!te body who has taken up occupancy over the last 9 months.

9pm and was dying to get out the door, the body a little more reluctant.

The 30 min were a slog to try loosen out the legs for planned session. Next began the inner monologue

Lazy Me: "Ah here I was happy enough in bed why did we have to go training"

Motivated me:"Shut the F%#k up we are doing this"

Lazy Me: "Ah here look at the pace, 8 minutes is feeling like a struggle no way you are getting down to sub 6s"

Motivated Me: "We are not leaving the park until you start working a bit"

Then I hit the session;
    "See this is not so bad"
    "Says you"
    "Come on we are only at 5.50 pace need to pick it up"
    "This is as fast as I can go"
    "What the fook do you mean its as fast as you can go?"

Eventually got to 5.40 pace but I was completely gassed at this and couldn't even last a mile before having to ease off. This pissed me off so on the way out of the park I took a sharp right and I was not going home until I got a few miles in. Tried upping the pace again and managed another 1200m at about 6.20ish pace before was gassed again and ended up coming home with my tail between my legs.

The only thing I can think of is the body needed time to adjust after dozing off so hopefully can just draw a line under it and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

everyone gets days like that every now and then. I usually do the same, convert the session to a longer run so its not a complete waste.

Better to have it in training than on a race day

Sunday|Long run|17 miles|7.07 mile pace| 2.01.01

Met up with Thirstywork2 for this one and headed off up to the waterworks. Absolutely scorcher of a day perfect for training and before I knew it looked at the watch and saw 50 min done already. This was gonna fly by and it did till about 15 miles at which point the legs started to remind me that this was my longest run of the year by a bit. Next two miles were bit of struggle but got through them

Monday|Recovery run|4.5 miles|8.46 mile pace|39.27

Just a very handy one to freshen up the legs for the race today. This will be an interesting one with no pressure, no expectations no time goal just simply a case of racing it and seeing whether or not the experiment works. If I blow up I blow up but with no team there is no pressure there either thankfully

Got about 1/4 of the way to race and that's as far as I would get due to unforseen circumstances. Got back to the house around half eight or nine and ended up just doing roughly 6 miles to clear the head.

Tuesday|Easy run|approx 6 miles| mile pace|

Being the genius that I am I also left the Garmin in the car meaning I had to do without it for a few days.

Wedneseday|Easy run|approx 5.5 miles| mile pace|
    Wednesday|Easy run|approx 5.5 miles| mile pace|

Without the car for a while so meant I was running in and out to work which is just a bit over 5. For some reason over the last week or so I have had no problem with early mornings as I am waking up at ungodly hours for no reason (4 and 5am)

Thursday|Easy run|approx 8 miles| mile pace|

Just a handy hour

Friday|Easy run|approx 8 miles| mile pace|

Just a handy hour

Saturday|Recovery run|approx 4 miles| mile pace|

On my course this weekend but got a call on the Saturday from the club. After weeks of deliberation about not having a team for the National Leagues there was one thrown in last min and they had no one for the steeple so I got roped in

Like I said this was last minute so I was not expecting alot. Being on my course the legs had alot of work done on them all day and come 2 o clock I ducked out of my course early and jogged up to Santry (only 3 miles away) with bag on my back. Got there with 20 min to spare before the race and picked up number and a few quick drills.

In terms of the body it was a very weird experience. As I said before sleep has been all over the place and last night was no exception waking up at 3am, 4am and 5.30am so I was living off about 4 hours sleep. The trigger point work done in the morning was fairly extensive so the legs felt loose as hell but just completely flat. I just kept saying to myself "just finish and score some points"

Toed the line with TW2 and a few other recognizable faces who seem be the annual sacrificial lambs to the event. Gun went and took it handy and slotted in near the back for the first 200m. Seeing some of the lads you could tell it was first time in the event so started pushing up gaining ground with each hurdle taken slotted in nicely and was feeling okay but just legs didn't have anything.

Came through 1600 in 5.38 but I was already flagging here. Technique was being affected as stride patterns were off and I clipped one hurdle with the heel but luckily I only grazed it. An awkward landing out of a water jump but a bit of pressure on the achilles but recovered fairly well finishing in

Despite this being over 30 sec slower than PB, it is faster than I usually run 1st rounds (last three years have been around the 11.15s) so I suppose I can't be too disappointed with it given how the legs felt going into it

Glad you are still alive
    For some reason over the last week or so I have had no problem with early mornings as I am waking up at ungodly hours for no reason (4 and 5am)

My youngest has been waking up at 5am for the last week. Must be something in the air for you young ones ;)

Before I start this I want to clarify this is still a running log, however due to circimstances beyond my control a bike is my only mode of transport for the next week or two

Monday|Cycle|approx 6 miles| mile pace|
    Monday PM|Cycle| approx 12 miles|mile pace|
    Monday PM| Easy Run| 4 miles| 7.36 mile pace| 30.24

Cycle in and out to work followed by up to the club for a handy run (in which the legs were like jelly) and cycle back. Needed to bike to the club to carry up massage gear

Tuesday|Cycle|approx 6 miles| mile pace|
    Tuesday PM|Cycle| approx 6 miles|mile pace|
    Tuesday PM| Easy Run| 8 miles| 7.29 mile pace| 59.55

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Just dont go for a swim ;)

• Advertisement

With the week that was in it I was going to knock this race on the head especially with the fact I would have racked up 15 miles on the bike by the time I actually got to the track however I had to go up anyway for a few reason so decided what the hell why not get a good effort out of the evening considering I can't remember the last session I have done (just been racing away for fitness as of late)

Met up with KC and introduced to KielyUnusual before and then did the rounds and it seemed like every time I got five min I got talking to someone else to the point where I nearly missed registration.

Short mile long warm up (given the bike I felt I had done enough already today so far :D). Toed the line and body not feeling great but was just gonna enjoy it

Gun went and I was off. Positioned myself fairly well with the top four and just sat in. When the dust settled I was in a lead pack of about 6 with me just in at the back. It was windy enough so I thought not a bad idea to let the lads do work and just tail the group. Had no watch but a quick glance at the watch saw we hit the 409 around 72-73.

Next lap saw me slightly tail off the group. Unless I got my act in gear I was going to be caught in no mans land. I closed to gap so I was still on the back. Third lap which I knew was going to be crucial and I was feeling good as some of the lads looked to be slowing and I felt in control. The group was tightly bunched and notions crept into my head about taking them in the kick FTW (hadn't seen the leader had already pulled away from this pack).

Last lap and fitness caught up with my and the legs went. The lads made a decisive break and I couldnt respond. No kick just digging in for dear life.

Official time: 4.54.39

Time while not the best I can live with. Ran a good race and it is relatively similar effort to my 1500m a few weeks back considering the the heaviness of legs from the bike.

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Just dont go for a swim ;)

Not a fear or next thing ya know Dory Dory and Kurt will try and put me in something like this :D

w._itu_tri_suit_short_distane-_pink.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good talking to you again, and well done on the mile. Sadly, your official time puts you just outside of my PB. ;).

Splits I have for you were:
    1:13.6
    1:13.2
    1:13.8
    1:13.4

Even with hand-timing inaccuracy, that's some very impressive consistency. Have a blast in New York, and don't forget to get out for some 400s in between the pints. :)

Good talking to you again, and well done on the mile. Sadly, your official time puts you just outside of my PB. ;).

Splits I have for you were:
    1:13.6
    1:13.2
    1:13.8
    1:13.4

Even with hand-timing inaccuracy, that's some very impressive consistency. Have a blast in New York, and don't forget to get out for some 400s in between the pints. :)

Knew I shouldn't have left early. Initial Reports suggest this guy was spotted attempting to tamper with results sheets. Victims include ecoli and KU (5.30 on results sheet ????)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ60Ryice3L1xNrl9eSYLy5MFyMVm1-mIm_Ab2BZGR2_VJVpYWZzA

Ah the speed is there, what I need is endurance so long reps (couple of blocks between each pub :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Meant to say, that the running bag I use is actually a cycling bag, but works very well. It's a Deuter 10L bag (10l is actually not that much space) and is currently 30% off on Wiggle, so €43 delivered. It'd carry:
    A rolled-up pair of jeans/shirt/socks/boxers (you can save space by going commando)
    Some fruit
    Wallet, mobile phone(s)
    Small (very small!) towel and small hygiene stuff
    Misc other small stuff (music, keys, that kind of thing)

It'll also take a hydration pack, if you ever decide to do the long trail stuff. Has water-proof covers, etc. You wouldn't notice it on the bike. You'd certainly notice the weight while running, but it's far better than any bag I have used before. They have bigger bags like this 12+3L, but you can expect to pay almost twice the price. I like the small size/weight. You just have to be prepared to compromise on space though.

****THIS IS A TEST POST. PLEASE IGNORE. TRR IS JUST CHECKING TO MAKE SURE THIS LOG IS CAPABLE OF POSTING TRAINING UPDATES**** ;)

****THIS IS A TEST POST. PLEASE IGNORE. TRR IS JUST CHECKING TO MAKE SURE THIS LOG IS CAPABLE OF POSTING TRAINING UPDATES**** ;)

**TESTING, TESTING** hmmmm posting seems to be enabled!

This has been an all to common trend in this thread so I didnt wanna post anything until I had something concrete to post so I have been keeping the head down. The last month or so was very unstuctured. Lots of cycling a bit of running and no sessions so last week was the first structured training week

Day|Training|Distance|Pace
    Monday | Easy Run| 6.2 miles| 7.37 min mile pace

First run in a few days so kept it handy enough

Tuesday |2 mile easy, 5 mile tempo, 2 mile easy| 9 miles| 6 min mile pace

Mile splits: 6.01, 6.00, 5.59, 6.07, 5.42 (0.96 miles)

Jumped in the clubs summer race league for this one and they had a five miler. First mile was very slow and I sat in just behind the leader. drquirky at this point was itching to go and tore off. I stayed to my plan and just sat with the second guy as he was running fairly even 6 min miles which was perfect.
    Tipped along feeling nice and relaxed. 4th mile had a few little nasty climbs so I just kept the effort strong. At this point the guy I was with started to fall off while another guy accelerated past. I was tempted to go with him but first session back I didnt wanna ruin and just want to get the head down and get a solid block of training done so let him go and settled for 3rd. Happy enough with how I felt (except for a bit of cramping post race down to dehydration for the day) Will definitely use a few more of these for tempos over the coming weeks

Wednesday | Steady Run|9 miles| 7.01 min mile pace

Bit of DOMS from the tempo session yesterday but felt good and went with the pace

Thursday | Easy Run|4 miles| 7.41 min mile pace

Planned on being a longer run but after 2 miles completely bonked, a clear indication that full fitness is a long way away

Friday AM| Easy Run|4.5 miles| 7.34 min mile pace
    Friday PM| Easy Run|5 miles| 7.39 min mile pace

First double took the runs handy nothing too dramatic.

Saturday| OFF|miles| min mile pace

Doing event massage in the Park for the morning at the 5 mile and took the day off running simply because didnt wanna push it doing too much too soon getting back

Sunday| Long Run|11.5 miles| 7.28 min mile pace

Just a handy 85 min run. Anatomy lectures on the ipod and away I went so focused on the podcasts that most of this run was a blur. Handy way of getting on top of time management

An ok start to getting the mileage back up being just shy of 50 miles but still a long way to go to get into any sort of decent shape

Haven't been posting here as frequently as I have just been keeping the head down and getting it done as opposed to talking about it.

Monday|Easy Run|7 miles| 7.34 min mile pace

Headed out on this one tipping along nicely however about 4 miles felt like I was starting to bonk again. Slowed it down a bit and managed to get slighlty more than the originally planned

Tuesday|Easy Run|10.75 miles| 7.28 min mile pace

Summary:
    "Your heading out for an easy 8"
    "Maybe this route is a little longer than eight"
    "Ah sure tag on an extra mile here so take a left"
    "Im feeling good sure ill just loop back rather than turn back on myself"

Starting to get back to feeling slightly normal. Fitness not there but starting to get the the level where I am able to be back training

Wednesday|Session|9.35 miles| min mile pace

Session:
    1.5 mile warm up
    7x1km w/2.30 recovery (400m jog)
    5 min rec
    2x200m w/200 jog rec
    1.5 mile cooldown

Splits3.35, 3.34, 3.35, 3.30, 3.28, 3.32, 3.28 35,37

First proper session back today and to be honest I didn't have a clue how this was gonna go. I reckoned I was in about 17.40-17.50 5k shape so based splits off that and would have been happy with 3.30-3.35 for the reps.

First one started wayy too slow (a product of no hard sessions in so long) but worked into the rep and was happy with the finish. The next one rattled off the same so I kinda knew what shape I was in. At this stage sun broke out and the sweat was pouring so the poser in me kicked in and did the session WOW style (thankfully I had the track to myself)

At this stage I was getting into my running and the body started to remember what running that bit faster felt like and splits started coming down and was working but not all out.

Happy with the effort decided to tack on a couple of two's for turn over however after the second one I knew it was pushing too much to soon and called it a day as I was spent

• Advertisement

Thursday|Easy Run|9 miles|7.29 min mile pace

A few from the club were doing warm up for a session so I tagged along with them for a very handy first two miles. Given that I had a session the night made sense to just loosen out the legs and left them after two mile and pushed on. Pace dropped a little more than I thought it would but wasn't really looking at the watch and the pace just felt handy. Finished this up with 800m on the track of jogging the bends and striding the straights just to try and start getting turn over back in the legs as I feel that I am not as smooth as I used to be with my stride at the quicker paces but hopefully this will come back to me as fitness starts to return

Friday|Easy Run|7.2 miles|7.15 min mile pace

Scorcher of a day and just one of them runs I never wanted to end. Pace felt easy I felt strong and probably best I have felt running since I got back into normal running. Still a long way to go but just trying to get consistency back

Advertisement