Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

ecoli wrote: »
    Day|Training|Distance|Pace

best I have felt running since I got back into normal running. Still a long way to go but just trying to get consistency back

I feel a bit stupid asking this but.......what's normal running???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Cleanman wrote: »
    I feel a bit stupid asking this but.......what's normal running???

Sorry what I meant by this was structured training (i.e the last two weeks) before this it was very much ad hoc with alot cycling involved

Saturday|OFF| miles| min mile pace

Sunday|Easy Run| 13.85 miles|7.20 min mile pace

Out last night and very little sleep so this was one where motivation was lacking. Once I got out however felt I could have gone forever and was happy to get a solid long run to get another solid 50ish mile week to build on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I saw a little video from last night :D

I saw a little video from last night :D

:eek:

Didn't even know that existed???

• Advertisement

Monday|Easy Run| 7.1 miles|7.55 min mile pace

Just a handy one with a few from the club tonight legs not feeling terrible but wanted to keep the pace easy as I am adding additionaly quality sessions as of this week as I have only been doing one a week the last two just to adapt back and take a sensible approach to training (for once)

Threw in 1200m after this of jogging the bends and striding the straights just to help with turnover

Tuesday|Tempo Run| 9 miles| min mile pace

Session: 2 miles easy, 5 mile tempo, 2 mile easy

5 miles in 30.01 (6 min/mile pace)
    Splits 6.01, 5.50, 5.58, 6.04, 6.07, 6.01

Warm one out there today. Warmed up with the club and then I was off then first mile was not too bad and the second mile I was having to slow myself down (a few declines so I just went with feel). Come the third mile the heat was getting to me, mouth starting to dry up but feeling controlled. Next mile had a bit of a climb though happily didnt slow too much. The next mile I retreated to the shade of the lane in Tymon park as I was overheating fairly bad. Last mile back out into the sun and battled on till then end. Happy enough as it was about the same pace and relative effort as 2 weeks ago except here I didn't have the luxury of people around me in a race enviroment

Wednesday AM|Easy Run| 6 miles|7.26 min mile pace

Very handy run and just kept it easy before work. Nothing major to report but the weather :)

Thursday|Session| 8.5 miles| min mile pace

Session
    2 mile warm up,
    14x400m w/ 100m jog rec (45 secs),
    4x60 accelerations
    2 mile cooldown

Splits: 80, 78, 80, 80, 79, 80, 79, 79, 80, 80, 80, 81, 78, 81

Tough enough session in the weather. I was sweating buckets on the warm up alone. Strategically place 2 750ml water bottles with Dioralyte at the 200 and 400m marks to make sure that I was never too far from a bottle given that dehydration would have ruined the session. Happy enough with the splits given the fitness I knew that these are the kinda paces I should be around so its a matter of just being humble and letting the fitness come back slowly but surely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

That's a solid, sensible session.

Are the accelerations there to work on turnover at the end of a race? I suppose they'd help work the lactic out of the legs as well after a session like that. If they're in there for pure speed development I'd be more inclined to do them before the intervals though.

Just a couple of thoughts!

That's a solid, sensible session.

Are the accelerations there to work on turnover at the end of a race? I suppose they'd help work the lactic out of the legs as well after a session like that. If they're in there for pure speed development I'd be more inclined to do them before the intervals though.

Just a couple of thoughts!

Agreed if they were for speed development I would do them at the start of the session but these are more for holding form when the body is in an already fatigued state.

Not going to run track races now till next summer just building strength now so very little maximum velocity work or "pure speed" for the forseeable future

• Advertisement

Friday|Easy Run|9.4 miles|7.33 min mile pace

Into Phoenix park for this one and met drquirky. Absolutely beautiful morning and nice way to start the day.

A bit worse for wear today so didn't plan on getting out before work. That damn sun taking its toll by drawing me to the beer garden :D

Sunday|Easy|13.2 miles|7.41 min mile pace

Just a handy one thankfully gotten in before work as given everything than was going on I may have been hard pushed to get out the door after

Monday|OFF| miles| min mile pace

Head in the books for the morning and completely lost track of time meaning I missed to opportunity for a run so took this as the rest day for the week which has seemed to become ingrained once a week since I started back structured training

Tuesday|Steady Run|6 miles|6.35 min mile pace

Been on evenings for the last few days and headed out after I got home for a handy 5 mile except the legs were telling me different. Given I don't have a session till thursday (Supposed to be tomorrow but had to push it back as I am doing massage at Morton Games) I decided there was no harm in letting the legs work away with it and just went with the pace. Its been a good while since I saw that sort of average pace on the watch for a non-session day

Wednesday|Easy|5.2 miles|7.35 min mile pace

I knew today was going to be limited simply because I had a 7am start in work followed by sports massage at the Morton Games for the evening meant that 11pm was my first opportunity to actually be able to run.
    Despite the time however there was no stopping me going out. Despite the slightly smaller crowds there was still a great buzz about the place and the fact I got a chance to work on a host of athletes (both domestic and International)- NCAA champions, World Student Game finalists, Olympians and one or two who have booked there ticket for Moscow next month, there was no way I was not getting out to train.

A Great night of races (even if I didn't get to watch to many outside of popping my head out every now and then when I had a chance) and some amazing performances. A pity that a well run event like this doesn't get the support it deserves as was a great night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

You were giving free massages? You could have been the one who gave me mine so after my 800, small world!

pa4 wrote: »
    You were giving free massages? You could have been the one who gave me mine so after my 800, small world!

Not me I am afraid only 800 runners that I did were not from round this neck of the woods . I was the guy in the white top.

How you get on?

Thursday|Session|7 miles| min mile pace

Session:
    2 miles easy,
    1600, 1200, 800, 400, 1000 w/ 3 min rec (jog 400m)
    2 miles easy

Splits: 5.31, 4.08, 2.39, 70, 3.25

Always hate these kinda sessions. They progressively get faster but you dont mind because they get shorter but the last slightly longer rep catches you off guard. The recoveries were quite generous though so was ok. The 400m surprise me a bit as I was running quite relax but it put a bit of hurt into the legs for the 1k which was more focused on just holding steady pace. Not a spectacular session but it will do the job for today and good to get a bit of variety in the session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Session:
    2 miles easy,
    1600, 1200, 800, 400, 1000 w/ 3 min rec (jog 400m)
    2 miles easy

Splits: 5.31, 4.08, 2.39, 70, 3.25

I see I am still the club 1200m record holder ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    I see I am still the club 1200m record holder ;)

Outdoor possibly but I am afraid you will need to make up another minute and change if you wanna take the indoor one from Anto:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Outdoor possibly but I am afraid you will need to make up another minute and change if you wanna take the indoor one from Anto:D

I was only dawdling when I set that record. Didn't have the competition to push me any faster :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Not me I am afraid only 800 runners that I did were not from round this neck of the woods . I was the guy in the white top.

How you get on?

Alright I think the guy I went to was wearing an orange tshirt, can't really remember to be honest. I was very happy anyway got a PB :)

• Advertisement

Friday|Easy Run|6 miles| 7.24 min mile pace

Just a short one before work as I managed to wrangle a free ticket to longtitude and was heading straight after work

Late night + Full day on course + massages booked for the evening I knew I wasn't getting out today but for the time being the one day off a week is how I have been operating so didnt mind in the slightest

Sunday|Easy Run|12 miles|7.36 min mile pace

Just a handy one in beautiful weather

Monday|Steady Run|6.09 miles|6.34 min mile pace

Didnt get out till close to eleven and had been kept going all day so wasn't expecting much. The legs on the other hand didn't agree and tipped along just going with the pace. I am getting away with these higher paced runs every now and then for the moment simply because the mileage is on the low side

Tuesday|Session|9 miles| min mile pace

3 miles easy, 4x1 mile w/ 1 min rec, 2 miles easy

Splits5.39, 5.41, 5.41, 5.41

Said to myself 5.45 would be a grand target but didn't feel too bad here and was in control. Legs were heavy by the end but was never forcing the pace so happy out just keep quietly ticking along and the mileage will come

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Rock and Roll Half, eh?? Glad to hear you enjoyed it....even if the goody bag was crap and water was in cups. Unfortunately that's the American coming out in the event. We could learn a few things from you folks in that regard. Well done. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Rock and Roll Half, eh?? Glad to hear you enjoyed it....even if the goody bag was crap and water was in cups. Unfortunately that's the American coming out in the event. We could learn a few things from you folks in that regard. Well done. :)

Was supposed to be a fitness indicator and help make up a team for the club however in order to have a fitness indicator you have to be actually working on fitness :D Slowest Half ever (excluding pacing duties)

Still no interruptions now for the forseeable future and no more excuses just trials of miles, no drink, balance between course and running

(Wouldn't do to have a coach you surpass with your own training the way you are going ;))

Right suppose no time like the present to get this back up and running as I have been avoiding it for far too long. So an update of the last month or so.

My preparation for the Rock and Roll half reads more like one of them magazine stories where someone is spiralling towards rock bottom. A heavy weekend of drinking at Springsteen coupled with a few days of very little sleep meant I didn't actually recover from it till about Thurs or Friday properly. From here lazy logic kicked in thinking that a week off meant that if I started running again it would only leave the legs with a case of DOMS for the race so went into race day with 10 days of no running :o

Despite this I optimistically thought that I should be good for a 1.21-1.22. Lined up beside claralara at the start and set off. Pace was reasonable hit the first 2 mile in 6.15ish pace which was ideal however once came into the park up chesterfield avenue pace climbed and never seemed to be able to get it back. Shock and horror ensued as started seeing 6.40s becoming a coming thing and despite every fibre of my being wanting to drop out I laboured home to a 1.25 roughly 9 min slower than I was running same time last year. Despite bad race it was a good start to training week and the plan was just beat myself into shape and never run as bad again.

This mental attitude was what I had been missing for the last while however the body was not on the same wave length and was not ready to come back from hiatus. Doubled next day but on the evening run I started getting pains outside of the usual DOMS. I knew straight away what it was and spent the next week unable to run (or weight bear on the foot) Vigourously rehabbed it and cross trained. Got a few massages to start to ease it out so come monday I thought I was good to go

Monday tested the foot and felt ok so I did 5k very easy. Took tuesday off as a precaution and then Wednesday I hit the park with tRR and drquirky for a run however after about 7 mile familiar pain was back. Back on the bike the next few days and also got treatment Saturday and then dry needling on monday (the advantage of doing sports therapy meant I had an array of therapists able to get regular treatments to fit around work schedule).

The Sunday I also signed up to the gym and since have been regularly cross training there so despite the injury I was actually training more than I had done in a long while. Started back last week around wednesday with 1 mile run, then 2 mile, three mile and then a big jump to five :D. This week went back to proper running but rather than make the same stupid mistakes I am building it slowly and my doubles have been including cross training so the week went as follows

Monday PM - 6 miles easy

Tuesday AM - 45 min spin class
    Tuesday PM - 6 miles easy

Wednesday AM - 90 min gym work

Thursday AM - 7 miles easy with tRR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

At this rate you may need to change the title of your log from

Rotterdam full speed ahead at a whopping 0.5 mph

To

Rotterdam here i come at a whopping 0.000000000000001 mph.

He's officially the laziest mod of the A/R forum and second on the all time list only to Woddle (sorry Woddle) ;)

TRR wrote: »
    He's officially the laziest mod of the A/R forum and second on the all time list only to Woddle (sorry Woddle) ;)

Repeating the same joke over and over does not make it funny ;)

Its all gonna click into place just in time to go into my marathon training plan just you watch :D

Repeating the same joke over and over does not make it funny ;)

Challenge accepted. Must come up with new daily slagging about ecolis training or should I say lack of training ;)

Challenge accepted. Must come up with new daily slagging about ecolis training or should I say lack of training ;)

The jokes won't last too long. Unlike some I have youth on my side so its not quite my last hurray.:pac:

My mission now is to run the fastest Marathon in the club next Apr 13th (both races are the same day as far as I am aware)

My mission now is to run the fastest Marathon in the club next Apr 13th (both races are the same day as far as I am aware)

It's on like donkey kong. You do realise I'm a sore loser, so will use excuses such as Rotterdam is a faster course etc etc. Shouldn't have to worry about that though ;)

• Advertisement

It's on like donkey kong. You do realise I'm a sore loser, so will use excuses such as Rotterdam is a faster course etc etc. Shouldn't have to worry about that though ;)

Your smug attitude is more than enough motivation to get the finger out and do things right. The last year will be soon forgotten once I am back in full swing:D

Advertisement