Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Friday AM 45 min spin class
    Friday PM 6 miles easy

Still no watch as I don't plan on using it for the week but rather just get a few miles back under my belt. Plan to slowly build back up the mileage but in the mean time trying to supplement it with cross training in order to a) get me in the routine of doubling and getting consistent training and b) boost the aerobic base without risking a relapse of injury

A few niggles I need to get sorted out this week nothing major but I wanna be fighting fit for training so I have no excuses if I plan to be in anyway decent shape to be able to handle the training load when marathon training starts at the beginning of Oct

Saturday AM - 90 min gym work

Managed to get last min tickets to the Dublin match tomorrow so rather than trying to fit a run and gym session in tomorrow I decided to gym work this morning, run after work and just the long run tomorrow.

All in all a solid week with hopefully 50 miles, 2 spin classes and two weight sessions. Building the mileage slowly over the next 8 weeks but its not stopping me from supplementing this work to make sure I am in good nick by time I do actually get the mileage up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Any races planned for the winter?

pa4 wrote: »
    Any races planned for the winter?

Will look to the Dublin intermediate XC as a short term target and a few XC races. Its roughly 10 weeks from now so enough time to get in reasonable enough shape to score for a team but not a main target.

Will add a few in here or there just to keep an eye on how I am progressing but main thing is just getting consistent in training again and logging some decent mileage over the winter to get ready for Rotterdam next Apr

ecoli wrote: »
    Will look to the Dublin intermediate XC as a short term target and a few XC races. Its roughly 10 weeks from now so enough time to get in reasonable enough shape to score for a team but not a main target.

Will add a few in here or there just to keep an eye on how I am progressing but main thing is just getting consistent in training again and logging some decent mileage over the winter to get ready for Rotterdam next Apr

Bit of XC won't do you any harm anyway, will give you good strength base too. You could always just take it in as part of training. As you said the main thing for you is to get in a good block of consistent training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Bit of XC won't do you any harm anyway, will give you good strength base too. You could always just take it in as part of training. As you said the main thing for you is to get in a good block of consistent training.

At this moment in time any sort of running related training wouldn't do him any harm ;)

That's the plan. The next 8 weeks is just gonna be 1 tempo and 1 XC session a week and gradually bring the miles up so hopefully should be in half decent nick though if my last year of running is anything to go by I have viscous cycle to break :D

That's the plan. The next 8 weeks is just gonna be 1 tempo and 1 XC session a week and gradually bring the miles up so hopefully should be in half decent nick though if my last year of running is anything to go by I have viscous cycle to break :D

Just take it one week at a time, time will go by quicker that way and before you know it you'll have a nice few solid weeks of training in the legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Id recommend some hilly 1 mile Munich laps, maybe 4 with 90 secs recovery. they were my bread and butter for the last 2 years of autumn winter training. The 1st half of the loop is hilly for strength and the 2nd is flat which keeps the speed in the legs,,

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Id recommend some hilly 1 mile Munich laps, maybe 4 with 90 secs recovery. they were my bread and butter for the last 2 years of autumn winter training. The 1st half of the loop is hilly for strength and the 2nd is flat which keeps the speed in the legs,,

I have them and a 1 mile loop on the Tymon intermediate course which I use for the XC (similar enough climb at the start and a faster second half)

• Advertisement

Saturday PM - 4 miles easy

A handy one after work. Got out the door before I had a chance to get comfortable and sit down

Sunday - 12 miles easy

Early start for this one as got last minute tickets for the match and was out for the day

Monday - 5 miles easy

Despite a little bit of overindulging yesterday was actually gran by the time I ran

Tuesday AM - 8.5 miles easy
    Tuesday Afternoon - 45 min spin class
    Tuesday PM - 90 min gym session

Made the most of a day off. Into PP to meet up with tRR and drquirky in the morning. First time since I have been back training that I have worn a watch thou despite this just displayed the distance covered as its too early to get bogged down with paces. Best I have felt in a while and considered pushing on but being sensible about gradually building the mileage back. Did a few hills strides at the end but to be honest the psoas spasm hindered any faster running. Need to try get in with someone to release it asap so I am able to push on with sessions.

In the afternoon down to the gym for a cycling class just to keep working on the aerobic base without overloading the body and causing another over use injury through weight bearing. Was a solid class and exactly the kinda one I need with high intensity emphasis rather than a more resistance based workout.

A few massages then booked in and then back to the gym. I was tired at this stage but dug in and banged out a decent session

All in all happy with the day

Wednesday - 8 miles easy

Just a handy one this evening. Body felt grand after the heavy day yesterday despite a very short sleep (new house mate moved in and couldn't really be rude and go to bed early)

Thursday - 6 miles easy

Just a handy one today. Had half intended hitting gym this evening but had 4 hours solid treatments so opted to push it back to later in the week as the upperbody wasn't 100% fresh for a solid workout

Slowly but surely ticking along

How many days a week would you do gym work?

How many days a week would you do gym work?

Doing two at the moment. Its more just general conditioning circuit type work for muscular endurance at the moment. Ultimately though running will always take precedence so if I need to drop this later in the plan I will. Its good to supplement the running but should not replace in my opinion running is always the best sport specific action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Wednesday
    (new house mate moved in and couldn't really be rude and go to bed early)

:D:D:D:D

drquirky wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D

To this one. :D

Friday - 9.5 miles steady (6.53 mile pace)

7.24, 6.58, 7.02, 7.15, 6.57, 6.48, 6.41, 6.25, 6.44

Haven't had a look at paces since I have started back from injury and just running on feel. To be honest even on the shorter runs I had felt I had been working hard but just assumed it was lack of shape. This run I just put the distance covered screen on and again ran by feel. Tonight had a wintery feel to it yet rather than be disheartened by it I was absolutely flourishing. The first three miles I was puffing and panting and really not feeling good at all (despite these being probably the slowest miles) after this the feeling past and I felt good.

Couldn't resist having a gander at the splits after the run and was pleasantly surprised starting to regain some bit of my long lost fitness. Just have to keep it going and keep building on it now

Saturday - 5 miles easy (7.07 mile pace)

Hip a little sore again today. Nothing to stop me running but strides/ speed sessions are out of the question till I get it fully sorted during the week. Got a little bit of work done on it last night but I know I need a proper treatment to fully sort it out.

(Decided its finally time to start revealing paces again :D)

Sunday - 9 miles easy (7.30 mile pace)

The plan for this one was a longer run however the hip got worse as the run went on despite feeling very good for the first 5 miles. Booked in for a treatment on Friday in the mean time just try tick away the miles. Its funny I can actually pinpoint this niggle from the RnR half as that is when it first cropped up. A lesson on going from 0-60mph regarding training is never a smart move

Monday OFF

After the hip acting up yesterday I gave myself the day off to play it safe (atleast until I get it sorted)

Tuesday 8.9 miles (6.48 mile pace)

Ended up making up this route as I went along. Ticking along nicely and upped the pace the last few mile. Hip didn't start acting up till about 7 miles but never too bad

• Advertisement

Wednesday 8.6 miles easy (7.07 mile pace)

Met up with drquirky and tRR for this one. Hip was at me from the get go but bearable (roll on friday and hopefully get it sorted and can start running pain free for first time in a while). A little tired come the last two mile so was happy to finish up when I did

Thursday 3.5 miles easy (7.20 mile pace)

Just a handy trot to loosen out the legs this morning. Didn't feel the hip too much at all which was a good sign. Aim to try and get out after work again today

Thursday PM - 6 miles easy (7.37 mile pace)

Good to get the double little niggle in the hip but nothing drastic

Friday - OFF

Saturday - OFF

Sunday - 45 min easy

Friday was down with Vinny getting the hip sorted. No one muscle causing it but a culmination of a few causing it to lock up with a but of joint mobility compromised so he lashed into it ending up in probably the sorest I have ever been from a treatment (and thats not even counting the needles :D) Was told to take the next two days off which was grand as I was at the ChampionsEverywhere workshop Friday night after treatments followed by course all weekend (where managed to get a bit more light treatment just to try and shake this once and forall)

Sunday was just a very handy run before the course with no watch. No real issue but still a bit of tenderness from treatment.

Monday - 5 mile easy (7.17 mile pace)

Bit of a distaster Sunday night (non alcohol related before some posters jump to conclusions). Just a handy one but to be honest I was too tired to care about pace or pain so didn't really feel the hip and if I did I was too tired to care

Tuesday - 6 mile easy (7.18 mile pace)

Still a bit of a niggle in the hip so will probably have to book back it. No pain but I knew if I did any longer it would start as I was feeling it from about mile 3. My own fault for letting my body get in such bad nick over the last year

Wednesday - 5 mile easy (7.22 mile pace)

Thursday -11 mile easy (7.36 mile pace)

Met up with drquirky for this one and like the similar patterns started feeling the hip around 5-6 miles but pain only kicked in around mile 8. Despite this it isn't as bad as it was last week so I suppose atleast it is going in the right direction. Gonna try and get a bit of treatment on it tonight

Friday 9.8 miles easy (7.12 mile pace)

Got a small bit of light work done on the hip last night and this morning it didn't feel the worst. First few miles of this run I was waiting for it to kick in and got a little bit of a feeling it was coming on about mile 4 however for the first time in a while actually felt like it was loosening out around this point. A little sore after mile 9 but not half as bad as it has been especially given that this was the longest back to back runs I have been able to manage with the pain in a few weeks so ill take it as a mini victory :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

A little sore after mile 9 but not half as bad as it has been especially given that this was the longest back to back runs I have been able to manage with the pain in a few weeks so ill take it as a mini victory :D

you're starting to get old ecoli.

TRR wrote: »
    you're starting to get old ecoli.

Never old man. I am still a child hating spring chicken :p

Saturday - 9.5 miles easy (7.24 mile pace)

This was a long day. Was in the park for half eight to set up for massage only to find out that I was the only therapist working at it due to one of the lads having to work the display's. Basically flat out till half one when I had to shut up shop and get over to the main job (no rest for the wicked:rolleyes:)

Falling asleep at the desk due to a late night last night making an appearance at the brothers 21st (designated driver due to the sports massage commitments) I just had to keep telling myself after work not to think about it and just get out and run so didn't give myself a chance to sit down. Once I was out just set the legs on autopilot and thankfully started waking up a little as the run went on. I dunno was it the fact that I was coming off a 15 hour day or just the fact that the last three days were the highest back to back culmulative mileage in a long while but the legs were heavy as hell.

Now for my bed:D

• Advertisement

Sunday = 6.21 miles easy (7.22 mile pace)

A bit of a step back day for a few reasons today. The last two nights I have been living off 5 hour sleeps due to commitments so I decided to cut it back a bit and get a decent night sleep (off tomorrow thankfully so a small lie in hopefully), The second was that I had done 30 miles in the last three days which is probably the most consecutive higher mileage days I have done in recent memory and given my recent injury history decided to play it smart. While I am spending the next 5 weeks just base building for marathon training it doesn't mean I am going to get away with being stupid with my training.

Bumped into an old friend this evening who I had seen couple of months back doing the exact same thing. A well dressed man (suit and tie) sitting by a local park at 10.30 in the evening drinking..... wait for it...... a flask of soup (I am not being naive here I could actually smell that it was soup). The last time I saw this he had me baffled, this time wasn't any different though I suppose it beats the usual sight of teenagers (and tRR) skulking around the streets of Tallaght with their few tinnies of dutch :D

Advertisement