Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Monday AM 3 miles easy (7.15 mile pace)
    Monday PM 8 miles w/ 1 mile hard (7.08 mile pace)

First run was just an easy one to loosen out the legs this morning. Most of my runs recently have been late night (10pm or later) so I think the legs weren't used to the easy morning stuff as I was a little sluggish. Kept this on the shorter side to break in new shoes (Brooks Ghost) heavier than I have been running in the last while but I think it will help me long term

Between massages, starting coaching in the club and more massages I was pretty much flat out till eleven this evening and legs were like lead so kept this one handy. Decided to throw in a hard mile the last one to see where I am. Though not quite all out this was slightly higher than tempo effort but happy enough to clock 5.48. Still in base mileage at the moment so no sessions but may look to do this once or twice a week just to give the legs a slight change of gear every now and then to keep from going stale

Tuesday - 9.5 miles easy (7.07 mile pace)

Legs starting to get that cumulative heaviness you get from full training again (can't believe I am saying this but god I missed that feeling). I reckon I am gonna be like this for the next few weeks but will just push through as its all base miles with just the odd sprinkling of quicker miles for the next month.

Run was fairly uneventful bar about miles six which was a tad on the quick side (6.33) kinda became entranced with the wheel of a bike in front of me (don't worry I am not going tri in case anyone is worried) ended up slowly reeling him in for about half a mile as he saw me chasing I think he got slightly alarmed (after all someone chasing you in the pitch dark around Tallaght is usually not a good thing). Suddenly snapped out of it and went back to easy pace.

Wednesday AM 6 miles easy (7.32 mile pace)

Just a handy one to loosen out the legs this morning, thankfully tRR had the same mindset and headed off around Tymon for a quick discussion to resolve some of the finer details of global issues :D

Wednesday PM - 6 miles easy (7.05 mile pace)

After getting a little carried away and spending a small fortune on Start Fitness in work this evening I would have felt guilty not doubling tonight :D
    Picked up a pair of Brooks Ghost early in the week and big difference to what I am normally wearing in training (a hell of alot more cushioning) so I decided I would chance these without the orthotics and glad to report no ill effects. Was fairly phuket during this run but got a bit of a second wind after about 4 miles

Thursday AM - 7 miles easy (8.05 mile pace)

Very easy one in the park with Drquirky. To be honest this was exactly what the legs needed as legs were fairly heavy. Followed this up with a 90 min gym session in the afternoon. Was the first time in the gym in a few weeks as it had fell off a bit with the increase in miles but with the day off work today I had a chance to get it in. Happy enough with it, did a 2x(10 exercise circuit w/ 3 sets of each exercise) First set was not too bad but was working to failure on the second one and really had to dig in.

• Advertisement

Friday 8 miles/w 1 mile hard (7.12/5.40 mile pace)

Didn't get out before work today simply because I was knackered. Ended up out for Arthurs Day with the housemates last night. Though I was sensible and stayed off the drink (not even a cheeky Guiness to appease the Diageo marketing gods) it still ended up a late night/early morning (depending on what way you wanna look at it)

Finished work and thought to myself even get out for a handy five or six and will not be a wasted day. About a mile or two into the run and I had woken up so decided to crack on with the originally planned eight and even one hard mile at the end even though the calves were screaming (a feeling I have always got with lack of sleep even the days after I used to do night shifts)

Though the hard mile was not all out it was still tougher than I would have liked it to be. This was a major tell tale sign of the work I am going to have to put in over the next 30 weeks if I am to have any hope of coming within an a$$es roar of my ultimate target as I will have to string 26 of them together back to back

Saturday AM - 5 miles easy (7.27 mile pace)

Woke up this morning and felt as if I had been used as a speed bag by the Klitschko brothers body wise felt grand but was just wrecked so ended up trying to go back to bed for an hour or two and felt slightly better. Just a few handy miles on a lovely morning. Wish I didn't have work as felt like I could have ran for hours

Saturday PM 6.5 miles easy (6.56 mile pace)

Legs felt good tonight and after a fairly modest first mile I was in cruise control. Another run I didn't really wanna see end but came to the realisation that with this I would be done and dusted with the run and time to spare and still get to bed by one (even better as I am not stuck for time in the morning so I will get a bit of a lie in before the start of Berlin)

Happy enough with how the week has gone though it is one thing to get things done at the start I just have to string another 30 weeks of it together and dig in when I don't have the exuberant enthusiasm as the legs rack up the miles (as well as the addition of sessions)

Sunday AM 7 miles easy (7.22 mile pace)

Nothing like the morning that was in it. Woke up to the Berlin marathon and just caught the end before popping down to Rathfarnham to have a gander at the race (Apologies to those who I missed). Dunno if it was just me but a bit disappointed to see the mid packers fairly light in this race in comparison to previous years.
    Over to work and took in one of the hilliest routes I have done in a good while. The legs were very heavy (a result of the mileage starting to rack up in the legs). This week is a decent starting block I suppose and hopefully can continue to push on from here

Sunday PM - 6.1 mile steady (6.28 pace)

Finishing up in work and every fibre of my body was not looking forward to this run (though not running never crossed my mind). I was too busy this morning to prepare food for work (well couple busy and bad time management skills) and had intended on popping out at quiet stage in the evening to pick up something from the shop but I got stuck with a conference call at the worst time meaning I didn't get out so I hadn't eaten since half one (just after early run) and the legs were very heavy.
    Despite this I just kept telling myself get out and just tie up the 70 mile week so off I went with the intention of a handy one. First 300m and the legs were shuffling, but they were shuffling quickly. Managed to actually start lifting the legs and running proper then. Normally my first mile is just easing into it around 7.40 pace however when the mile split popped up on the watch I saw 6.44, WTF I thought my body had made it perfectly clear all day it was tired. Next mile even quicker so I said what the hell just go with the pace as long as I wasn't pushing it. Got into a comfortable groove and was happy enough that I could hit these paces without really forcing it. Maybe the body sensed I had a recovery run in the morning:D.

All in all happy with this 1st week of proper niggle free base building but remind myself that the mileage clock has just reset and it starts all over for another week in the morning so can't afford to get complacent over one semi decent week (out of roughly 40 so far this year :o)

Week 1 mileage|71.1|7/7 days

• Advertisement

Monday AM 5 miles recovery (9.14 mile pace)

Getting back in the habit of these runs to help keep me ticking over as the key for the next while is consistency. Legs were kinda glad of this after last nights run but really do sometimes find it more challenging to run slower than your normal pace than you would trying to up the pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Had one of those runs today where I felt stiff all day and starting off, was gonna pick it up near the end but saved it for the strides afterwards. Felt great, like I was barely touching the ground!

pa4 wrote: »
    Had one of those runs today where I felt stiff all day and starting off, was gonna pick it up near the end but saved it for the strides afterwards. Felt great, like I was barely touching the ground!

Always great to get them sessions. Always makes me wonder how often it is that the mind rather than the body is the thing holding us back

Monday PM - 8 miles easy (7.36 mile pace)

Just a handy one after work. Aimed to keep this one pretty easy along with the morning run just to recharge the legs for the week

Tuesday AM 6 miles fartlek (6.52 pace)

8.15, 6.29, 6.20, 6.04, 6.25, 7.08

Met up with drquirky for this one who was doing a relatively light workout this morning due to being in taper so I said would be a decent one to jump in without compromising the plan of base building. Took a mile before and after as warm up and cooldown. Happy with this one didn't look at paces or times just did what I was told and ran fast when I needed to :D

Tuesday Afternoon Gym work - 2 x (3 sets of 8 reps x 10 exercises)

Nothing like the arrival of a package from Start fitness today to lighten the mood on a miserable afternoon. Happy enough with this session definitely one of my better gym ones and really was working by the time the second circuit came around. Definitely a chilled afternoon now though before evening run (Sometimes I think I am better off not having a day off work :p)

Tuesday PM 4.1 miles easy (7.36 mile pace)

Just a handy one to flush out the legs tonight body fairly fried after a fairly productive day training wise

Wednesday AM 5 miles easy (7.40 mile pace)
    Wednesday PM circuit work, Plyometrics and hip mobility drills
    Wednesday PM 6 miles easy (7.28 mile pace)

My AM run was more afternoon but just out with the housemate keeping this one very handy. Followed this up with down to the club to help out with coaching the sprints group however the weather seemed to keep most away so got thrown in with the older sprinters doing there session. circuit work was fine as they are only back off their break and I have been doing gym work for the last number of weeks so nothing too bad, the hurdle and bound stuff however was a different kettle of fish. Fairly fried after this but had a small breather before two massages booked in. After they were done every fibre of my being just wanted to go to bed but got out the door and managed to get the run in so a fairly productive day

Thursday AM 9 miles /1.5 miles steady/hard (7.24 mile pace)

Met up with drquirky for this one and feeling grand. He had planned a taper MP session so had agreed to do this however once we got into it I was a bit all over the place pacing wise (to hard one min too slow the next) hit the first mile in 6.19 and was on pace the next half mile but still couldnt get into a steady rhythm so decided not to ruin his session and ushered him on and just ran easy back to the car. Dunno what it was (possibly a little groggy as I had only jumped put of bed 15 min before the session started)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

ecoli wrote: »
    ..the hurdle and bound stuff however was a different kettle of fish. Fairly fried after this ...

... Dunno what it was (possibly a little groggy as I had only jumped put of bed 15 min before the session started)

Hmmm. That "hurdle and bound stuff" will do your legs in until you get used to them. Good to mix it up though.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Hmmm. That "hurdle and bound stuff" will do your legs in until you get used to them. Good to mix it up though.

True. I have always kept in touch with alot of that style of training as I do find it useful but it was a shock to the body alright as havent done in a few months (coinciding with lack of real training during that time) and starting to realise that now (Achilles a little tender yesterday so I played it safe by taking last night off just as a precaution)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Hey L, do you mind me asking what was the issue you were having with your hip? My hip has been giving me bother for a few days, I think it sounds like hip bursitis. This is not a request for medical advice or anything, I just remember you have some hip problems recently and wondered if some treatment got to the bottom of it.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Hey L, do you mind me asking what was the issue you were having with your hip? My hip has been giving me bother for a few days, I think it sounds like hip bursitis. This is not a request for medical advice or anything, I just remember you have some hip problems recently and wondered if some treatment got to the bottom of it.

For me it was muscle issues. Took a while for me to get to the bottom of it as doing muscle tests myself and having other therapists look at it I was not displaying an issue in one particular muscle so couldn't isolate a particular treatment. I got dry needling and deep massage on my rec fem tendon, sartorius, tfl and my adductor mag and then a couple more soft tissue therapy treatments after this and seemed to clear it up to the point where I am not feeling it however it definitely wasn't bursitis.

My advice would be get it looked at bursitis can be treated pretty effectively

Friday - OFF

First one in a while, this one was precautionary. My over exuberance with the plyo's the other night in hindsight probably not my best move, slight niggle which started as a random shooting pain in the achilles on Thursday's run and was a little worse that evening. Geared up last night and got 100m out the door only to realise it wasn't right so played it safe and turned back.

20 min foam rolling and (as deep as I could work on the calf myself) massage followed by stretching

Should iron it out but given the two recent injuries I have had I knew best bet would be to play it safe.

Saturday 6 miles easy (7.22 mile pace)

Back on my feet and no real ill effects. The odd darting pain but I think half this might have just been in my head worrying

Sunday2 miles warm up, 16.2 miles steady (6.46 mile pace)

Down to Kilcock this morning for pacing duties. Happy enough with this as it was a solid session and hit the splits needed in all bar one mile (a doozy of an uphill) and got into a nice rhythm around the 7 mile mark. Came the last 2 mile and the pacee decided they wanted to push on so end up having to up my own game just to stay in touch

Mile Splits:
    6.44, 6.50, 6.51, 6.49, 7.12,
    6.37, 6.43, 6.44, 6.41, 6.40,
    6.42, 6.42, 6.49, 6.42, 6.37,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Came the last 2 mile and the pacee decided they wanted to push

3rd lady? ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Saturday 6 miles easy (7.22 mile pace)

Back on my feet and no real ill effects. The odd darting pain but I think half this might have just been in my head worrying

Sunday2 miles warm up, 16.2 miles steady (6.46 mile pace)

Down to Kilcock this morning for pacing duties. Happy enough with this as it was a solid session and hit the splits needed in all bar one mile (a doozy of an uphill) and got into a nice rhythm around the 7 mile mark. Came the last 2 mile and the pacee decided they wanted to push on so end up having to up my own game just to stay in touch

Mile Splits:
    6.44, 6.50, 6.51, 6.49, 7.12,
    6.37, 6.43, 6.44, 6.41, 6.40,
    6.42, 6.42, 6.49, 6.42, 6.37,

Solid stuff Ecoli. Thats some impressive running by CL as well.

drquirky wrote: »
    Solid stuff Ecoli. Thats some impressive running by CL as well.

Cheers. She was flying to be fair. Was close to getting left for dead the last mile but kept picturing the abuse I would have got from himself for not doing my job right to the line :D

Cheers. She was flying to be fair. Was close to getting left for dead the last mile but kept picturing the abuse I would have got from himself for not doing my job right to the line :D

Be honest; according to the results you were chicked by a clear 2 seconds by your pacee :P;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Be honest; according to the results you were chicked by a clear 2 seconds by your pacee :P;)

Can I claim the usual token 2 second from precision timing? :o

• Advertisement

Can I claim the usual token 2 second from precision timing? :o

Yeah but CL will have to claim them too which leaves the same result :p

Advertisement