Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Tuesday AM 5.5 mile easy (7.16 min mile pace)

Very handy one this morning to loosen out the legs. Absolutely beautiful morning for running wish work didn't get in the way could get used to these morning runs:D

Tuesday Afternoon 40 min gym session

A fairly lack-lustred affair. Never really got going with this one and felt more like I was just going through the motions for the most part. Only ended up doing one set of the usual circuit.

Tuesday PM 10 miles easy (7.17 min mile pace)

By the time I had finished massages and coaching for the evening I was only ready to get out the door around ten and in a fairly foul humour by the time I got out for a few reasons but thankfully the run helped clear the head and body felt fairly good from the start

Wednesday 7.5 miles easy (7.22 min mile pace)

Just a handy one tonight which was grand because body was not feeling the may west - general aches and pains I think it was just down to a heavier day yesterday. Proceeded tonight to actively hunt out every hill I could find in the UCD proximity for some reason on this run, Fosters Ave (reverese marathon direction), Mount Anville, Taner Road, Orwell road, Milltown so by the end of this legs were heavy enough but good to get a few undulating loops as there will be no hill sessions in the training plan I will be doing so will try to incorporate them into some of the easy runs

Getting to the stage where I am itching to get out of base phase and on to sessions again (may not feel the same way after a couple of them mind you :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

When are you starting your sessions? Before you do I think it would be a good idea to do a couple of parkrun 5ks to determine your baseline. Run them all out with no watch. Just a thought

TRR wrote: »
    When are you starting your sessions? Before you do I think it would be a good idea to do a couple of parkrun 5ks to determine your baseline. Run them all out with no watch. Just a thought

The sessions start exactly 24 weeks out from Rotterdam so day 1 of the plan is 28th of Oct :D

Not a fear of me getting a Park run in the weekend of the marathon as I have nearly been blocked up fully with massage stuff outside of work hours but I was half considering heading up to Marlay this weekend possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Care to share your plan at a macro level?

ecoli wrote: »
    The sessions start exactly 24 weeks out from Rotterdam so day 1 of the plan is 28th of Oct :D

Not a fear of me getting a Park run in the weekend of the marathon as I have nearly been blocked up fully with massage stuff outside of work hours but I was half considering heading up to Marlay this weekend possibly.

I think you should and maybe do a couple more in the coming months just to keep focus and track progress etc. Have you decided on a couple on intermediate targets? 24 weeks training for a marathon is a killer. I know it won't all be marathon specific.

I think you should and maybe do a couple more in the coming months just to keep focus and track progress etc. Have you decided on a couple on intermediate targets? 24 weeks training for a marathon is a killer. I know it won't all be marathon specific.

Only 10 weeks will be marathon specific but I have been eyeing up a few races over the course of it;

Waterford Half
    Raheny/ Dungarvan 10
    Enniscorthy 10k
    Torrevieja Half

( bold ones are definites)

Like you said it will be a few races to break up the plan into roughly 6-8 week blocks for the most part. However will probably include a few park runs just as forms of sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

what's the date of the Torrevieja half? We holiday near there...

Clearlier wrote: »
    Care to share your plan at a macro level?

The overall plan revolves around 3 meso cycles during the fundamental phase (roughly a race every 5 weeks pending race calendar and my schedule so a slight bit of wiggle room)

After this its a 10 week specific phase broken down into 2 cycles. These will be broken up by a Race simulation session/Race.

In terms of the weekly schedule I will be doing one session every three days so while there may not be the same amount of intensity in a week the aim will be to do this to allow a greater consistency over the 24 weeks.

I have done this once before under a previous coach (Wed/Sat sessions) and worked quite well

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »

Usually last weekend in Feb not sure if dates have been announced just yet though

RayCun wrote: »

Yeah I'm interested in this too but flight times are a bit crap I think. I think it's the start of Feb

oops just seen ecoli's post above

Thursday AM 6.5 miles easy (7.07 min mile pace)

Felt sluggish throughout this one yet at the same time it was easy, all my night time running recently not to used to mid day runs it seems:D

Friday 4 miles recovery (7.57 mile pace)

Another midnight run after a disaster day in work kept this very handy even though the body felt great to be honest. If I am awake enough to get out the door will probably jog up to Marlay in the morning for the Park run

Friday 4 miles recovery (7.57 mile pace)

Another midnight run after a disaster day in work kept this very handy even though the body felt great to be honest. If I am awake enough to get out the door will probably jog up to Marlay in the morning for the Park run

Sleep got the better of me :o

Saturday 8 miles easy (7.14 min mile pace)

Gonna be a challenging week as people are coming out of the woodwork for massages and treatments with it being marathon week. Normally try to avoid weekend massages but had 2 in this morning and block booked next Sat morning. Some mad training times ahead this week me thinks :D

Saturday PM OFF

With being busy this morning didn't have a chance to prep something for dinner for work coupled with the fact that the canteen in work closes early on weekends meant I had to be bold and go with a takeaway for the dinner. THE WEEK BEFORE A MARATHON:eek::eek: however either it was karma or my body was refusing to let me sabotage myself because ended up spending half the night rejecting it :o(last time time I will be eating from there). Needless to say I didnt get my planned evening run in.

Sunday 18 miles easy (7.16 mile pace)

There was a death in the family today :( probably my closest companion, my trusty forerunner 305 decided that it was refusing to turn on despite being fully charged. Attempts were made to resuscitate bit I had to call it. Hopefully it will make a lazarus like resurrection but my hopes are not high. In all the time that I had it I did not have one issue with it to the point that the only damage to it was the rubber buttons were completely worn down from usage :rolleyes:.
    Took a lend of the house mates 405 but didnt have time for a crash course so just asked him 2 questions - did it auto lap each mile? and did it show lap pace as opposed to current pace (which drives me mad). Thankfully he reassured me that everything was rosy however it only took me half a mile (and subsequently a full mile) to realise neither were the case. The current pace thing was all over the shop and I never once saw anything which resembled remotely the pace I was actually running. Ended up just working it out the out fashioned way - Looking at the time at mile splits and working out from there. Then came the poxy bezel - He had some work out set up for 3 miles @ 9.15 pace (presumable to slow him down) yet every few mins this would pop up telling me I am 4 min ahead of my virtual partner etc and I couldn't figure out how to switch it back, kinda annoying when you are looking to have some sort of idea how you are running.
    Then about 4 miles in came another curved ball - a mini compass to tell me how far I was from starting point, and this one didn't seem to respond to any button commands. This continued for about five miles till I lost the will to live and decided to ignore it or I wouldn't make it past the dodder without jumping in and praying to god no shopping trolley was going to impede me from attempting to drowned myself.
    The run itself was grand. I decided to run the second half of the DCM course and surprisingly despite knowing the jist of the route I hadn't ran alot of it for so long that I had been building up some of the climbs more than they are actually. Pace wise actually was pretty steady given the technological battle I was losing sped up a small bit from about 11 to 15 but nothing too drastic.

Monday AM 5 miles easy (7.28 min mile pace)

Chanced the Garmin this morning and no issues so crisis over. After my experiences with the 405 yesterday I dread the thought of the time when I am forced to upgrade.
    Handy enough run. Legs were a bit sluggish but I think that was mainly down to foolishly not getting anything substantial into me after the run last night (unless a box of raisins and few pints of water counts as a meal these days:D)

Monday PM - gym session

between massages and coaching tonight hadn't planned on too much tonight but low and behold after coaching session I found myself with a sneaky 25 min and I was in Club gym - it would be rude not to :D

Decided, give the limited time, best use of the time was an area specific workout so set up the barbell and proceeded with squats, deadlifts and lunges. In all honesty my technique left alot to be desired - kept the back straight for the deadlifts but bar was too far forward, squats my knees were coming too far forward for my liking and not engaging the targeted muscles as much as I would have liked. Lunges were ok

Think I may need to invoke the help of one of the lads (or girls) for a PT session to help correct technique a bit more.

Tuesday 5.1 miles easy (6.57 min mile pace)

This was a weird one. Legs felt fresh in one sense from the easy short run yesterday but at the same time the introduction of Deadlifts mean that my hamstrings were screaming.

Planned to get out for an evening run after coaching and treatmeunt obligations for the day however bit of a mini emergency meant that by the time I did get a chance to it was 2am. This week is really conspiring against me to the point where half of me is considering taking a down week to ensure I am fresh for Monday (especially given that i am working nights over the weekend)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Tuesday 5.1 miles easy (6.57 min mile pace)

This was a weird one. Legs felt fresh in one sense from the easy short run yesterday but at the same time the introduction of Deadlifts mean that my hamstrings were screaming.

Planned to get out for an evening run after coaching and treatmeunt obligations for the day however bit of a mini emergency meant that by the time I did get a chance to it was 2am. This week is really conspiring against me to the point where half of me is considering taking a down week to ensure I am fresh for Monday (especially given that i am working nights over the weekend)

Did you actually go at 2am ?

• Advertisement

dead lifts and working nights the weekend. Are you trying to make this marathon as hard as possible? You better be up for the task in hand or you'll never live it down....... and I mean never!

kit3 wrote: »
    Did you actually go at 2am ?

Nope. Usually I would consider it however given circumstances sense prevailed

Nope. Usually I would consider it however given circumstances sense prevailed
    Glad to hear that ! Didn't go for my planned run at lunchtime because I was feeling queasy (kids all down with tummy bug ) and was afraid to chance it but was beginning to feel an awful wuss reading about your 2am run

dead lifts and working nights the weekend. Are you trying to make this marathon as hard as possible? You better be up for the task in hand or you'll never live it down....... and I mean never!

Dead lifts were early week so be fine :D

In terms of work it was a case that I didn't really have a choice. People block booked the weekend off months ago long before DCM came onto the radar and as such we are fairly thin regarding staff meaning that Friday through to Tuesday I am working evenings but wont be too bad Ill be in bed before twelve (ish)

Will be grand been living off Lombards old stash to make sure Im up to the task come Monday:D

kit3 wrote: »
    Glad to hear that ! Didn't go for my planned run at lunchtime because I was feeling queasy (kids all down with tummy bug ) and was afraid to chance it but was beginning to feel an awful wuss reading about your 2am run

Just think though for every late night run I do someone is up early morning running while I am sleeping so it all balances out

Just think though for every late night run I do someone is up early morning running while I am sleeping so it all balances out

Yes - hard to categorise 2am though - one person's late night is another's early morning. Enjoy Monday - really special athmosphere.

I think there should be a sweep stake to answer how far I am going as I don't have a clue how long I will go, it will come down to how I feel

13 miles|
    14 miles|
    15 miles|
    16 miles|
    17 miles|
    18 miles|
    19 miles|
    20 miles|
    21 miles|
    22 miles|
    23 miles|
    24 miles|
    25 miles|
    26 miles|
    Full Marathon|

Pick your slot and closest person wins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Interested to know more about the gym sessions. How often? What exercises? How heavy are the weights? How many reps? etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Just in the door from 9 @ 7:07 pace w/ 4 at PMP (6:50, 6:34, 6:46, 6:42). Don't worry about Ecoli I've got his back from 11.

• Advertisement

Good question. I think there should be a sweep stake to answer this questions as I don't have a clue how long I will go, it will come down to how I feel

13 miles|
    14 miles|
    15 miles|TRR
    16 miles|
    17 miles|
    18 miles|
    19 miles|
    20 miles|
    21 miles|
    22 miles|
    23 miles|
    24 miles|