Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

ecoli wrote: »
    To be honest I had 2 opportunities at 19 and 22 to pull out as they are right beside the office and was in work at two however I had left my phone stupidly in the baggage drop without thinking so needed to make it back one way or another :D

Ecoli, am I reading this right, u went to work afterwards? Either way, well done, 3hr marathon is a super way to open ur marathon account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

jfh wrote: »
    Ecoli, am I reading this right, u went to work afterwards? Either way, well done, 3hr marathon is a super way to open ur marathon account

Yep couldn't get the day off as no one to cover (the marathon was a last min thing so others got in with requests before me :()

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Yup hadn't planned on running the full way but I was feeling good so decided to keep going and only got into a bit of bother with cramping (a unique experience in a race) around the 24 mile mark. Would have been nice to tick off the sub 3 to round the day off perfectly but its only day 1 of my 24 week plan for Rotterdam ;)

That's some run - will be watching your own attempt with great interest. Well done

Wednesday OFF

Few issues in the house for a few days meaning that sleep and running went by the waist side

Thursday 6 miles easy (7.08 mile pace)

Planned a double but was booked out with treatments and massages from about 2 in the day till half ten so I was fairly wrecked

Friday 6 miles easy (7.12 mile pace)

Tried catching up on sleep so only got out once before work

Saturday 1 mile easy, 1 mile PMP, 1 mile easy

Massages booked for the morning following by work meant this was another midnight run. It was all good though because we had an extra hour in bed the next morning :D

Sunday 30 min recovery (No Garmin time)

Met up with Dory Dory, Marthastew, Mr Stew and Meno for a handy run and breakfast before hitting expo and work

All in all a fairly crappy week but we will just call it a mini taper :p

Report will come later.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Well done man, great running!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Ha, you pulled up right beside me just before Grand Canal bridge man with bad cramp, I was gonna give you a bollocking and tell you to pull out but you were gone again before I could say it to you!! :D Fair play, you're a sucker for punishment!

pconn062 wrote: »
    Ha, you pulled up right beside me just before Grand Canal bridge man with bad cramp, I was gonna give you a bollocking and tell you to pull out but you were gone again before I could say it to you!! :D Fair play, you're a sucker for punishment!

Haha didnt even recognise. To be honest I stopped about 4 times on that stretch of road. Funny enough the only mile that I was off pace was 25th, the 26th one was on pace but that one mile was over 9 min.

Mad to think one mile is the difference between 2.57 and 3 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Haha didnt even recognise. To be honest I stopped about 4 times on that stretch of road. Funny enough the only mile that I was off pace was 25th, the 26th one was on pace but that one mile was over 9 min.

Mad to think one mile is the difference between 2.57 and 3 :o

Ha. Welcome to the marathon! Different beast! You were a novice yesterday and today you are a marathoner! Well done! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

What time are you targeting for your first proper attempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Fair play finishing it out! Damn flat 3hr is an annoying thing you have to shake off at some stage. I'll keep tuned to follow just how you plan to do that :) Well done on your running, pacing, coaching success yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Chivito550 wrote: »
    What time are you targeting for your first proper attempt?

Think he said 2:30 a while back...

Think he said 2:30 a while back...

Thats the A one goal although will depend on how training goes over next 6 month come about feb I should have a good idea whether that is realistic, if not may revise to 2.35 but gotta aim big :D

Tuesday 4 miles recovery (9.03 min mile pace)

Major case of DOMS today (was to be expected considering my last few Long runs have been 16-18 mile tops and no 20+ mile runs since before the half last year). Legs were thankfully of the recovery run though and got bloodflow going so should hopefully speed up the legs coming back to normal (active recoveries all the way :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on a great time for your first marathon. Considering that wasn't trained for fully thats some time.

Monday marked the 1st day of the 24 week plan for Rotterdam. Dublin was not o n the radar until about 4 weeks ago when tRR planted a tiny seed in my head during a treatment. "It would be good experience" he said. Had it been a week before I would have said not a hope as I was in no such shape however this was just post Kilock so I knew I could get to 16 unscathed. The next 3 weeks started doing Long runs of 17 and 18 miles. My mini base phase went fairly well mileage nothing drastic (65-70) but I was running a good few steady miles without too much problems.

Last week was a disaster for a number of reasons training wise so I had inadvertently given myself a mini taper, but I had worked lates Fri, Sat and Sun so not ideal prep.

The morning of I was unsure how far I was gonna be able to go and had one or two fears of not making it to drquirky but these thoughts were fleeting. Jogging in from work and I realized first mistake of the day. I had left my phone in my pocket. I dunno whether this was subconscious but it made the decision for me; one way or another I had to get back to the finish line.

The Race
    Lined up just ahead of the 3hr pacers and was off. The first mile was a bit of a panic because I had to actually find my trusty pacee. Darted from side to side looking for a glimpse but no sign. Then saw Tunguska just ahead, BALLS had over shot the mark I was down in the 2.40 pace. A quick look over my shoulder though assured me it was not as bad as I thought as the sub 3 guys were not too far behind. Panic soon subsided coming around towards Nassau I spot the diminutive stature of our running celeb. Mile 1:6.31

Then settled into the pace and kept things nice and relaxed the next few miles taking the foot off the throttle climbing up around Parnell Street. Wanted to keep the effort even rather than the pace (under order or faced being lynched :D) Coming down North Circular however we started to get swallowed up by the 3 hour pacer, WTF! The pace was fine on our side so was a shock to say the least. Panic set in a little with getting caught up as this was why I was here and what we were aiming to avoid. Heard rumours of a surge to try string out the group a bit to avoid congestion however this forced us to up the pace more than would have liked to stay clear.

Miles 2-5: 6.44, 6.36, 6.31, 6.34

3hr Group eased off again and we took it handy up Chesterfield Ave tucking in to avoid the head wind. Coming up to 6 mile mark I realise my second mistake of the day. Had planned on looking at official time at 6 to determine where I was in terms of official time compared to mile splits to determine race length discreprancy given I had a good amount of bobbing and weaving between water stations and the start. Looked at my watch and it seems that when trying to get signal earlier the timer had started. Thankfully I had not moved while it was running so the auto lap meant I was still ticking mile splits accurately. Kept this to myself to avoid panic. Hit the down hills in the park and rather than push on kept it as easy as possible to recharge the batteries after the few early miles we were forced to up the pace

Miles 6-9: 6.47, 6.40, 6.38, 6.42

Came up around St. Laurence road and eased up the hill but surprisingly didn't lose too much time at all. We were cruising and she took the hill in her stride and was looking good. At this point it dawned on me "Holy sh!t thats 10 miles done" Honestly felt like the first 20 min of an easy run. She must have been on the same wavelength as she mentioned the exact same thing shortly after.

Head wind coming up the crumlin road so made sure she tucked in behind groups where possible and as such pace slowed a little but this time would be made back in spades over the second half of the race in terms of avoiding hemorrhaging time late in the race.

Miles 7-13: 6.53, 6.38, 6.47, 6.54, 6.44

Hit the Half way mark perfectly in 1.28.52. Next few miles and I could tell she was in a good place, not to mention the extent of her fame as she gave a regal wave to half of Dublin out supporting her (was half expecting her to be handed a baby or two for a photo op but thankfully people knew better). Trying to reel her in once or twice though as the crowds gave her a huge boost. It was at this point we started hearing positions "Your in 8th", "9th", "10th" - and this was all in the space of a mile without any sight of a woman near us :rolleyes:

Miles 14-18: 6.36, 6.37, 6.40, 6.34, 6.43

Getting near the business end of things and things all going according to plan flew down by the dropping well and was cruising yet keeping things nice and relaxed letting gravity do most of the work.

Around by UCD and this is my get off point right? Not only did I not feel I had to stop, it didn't even register with me I was in a very good place. Tipping along nicely and even coming up Heartbreak hill, none of the three of us looking too be in too much distress. Down Fosters Avenue and we were cruising back down towards town. and pace started picking up again

Miles 19-22: 6.43, 6.5, 6.48, 6.35

Coming back down towards town and PB was assured provided we kept moving now all we needed to do was get here there on target. At Mile 23 though I started getting twinge of a cramp but dorsiflexed the foot when raising knee and seemed to keep it at bay.

In mile 24 however this started getting bad and to the point where we were losing a little time so talked to quirky and told him to push on with her. Was gut wrenching to get her so close and not be able to finish with her but this was not my race and was not gonna botch things up after things going so well. Trailed them for about 100m before hamstrings and calves completely seized. I had to stop so quick stretch out and loosened out a bit so i thought I may be able to catch back up with them however as soon as I got within 50m I seized up again. This routine happened another two times with the last time me stopping for a significant duration and stretching thoroughly. At this point the sub 3 pacers had been and gone so was just a matter of slowly jogging it in. Was tipping away until bumped into an Ennis Club runner who was out on his feet. I kept at him to make sure he didn't stop and to be fair to him he got going again. At this stage every part of me was cramping but was manageable by running like a duck. That last stretch up by Trinity is a hell of alot longer than I thought as I have always cheered people previously on Pearse St.

Miles 23-26: 6.46, 9.03, 6.55

As I came closer to the finish I saw the clock reading 2.59.xx. Was still under the three so I sped up however as I got closer I realized it was high 2.59s and I was gonna be over as I finished up in

Bumped into ultrapercy after the race and then off to see what the end result was for the day. Sub 2.58 boom, Job done. Delighted for her

Afterthoughts

Learned alot from doing this run but the main things that I will take from it:

- Bodyglide is a must for marathons :(
    - Marathon is about alot more than just your physical capability in running the pace. The cramping was probably a blessing in one sense. It made me realise the importance of fueling hydration etc irregardless of pace and as such gives me a more healthy respect for the distance for my own approach.
    - I know I can do the distance now it is just a matter of doing it over a min per mile quicker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you've earned your footnote in the biography. Possibly even an index entry! :D

RayCun wrote: »
    you've earned your footnote in the biography. Possibly even an index entry! :D

To be fair alot of it was running beside (or just behind :o). Had it not been me it would have been one (or groups) of the runners she passed through the course of the race. Was always in control of her own race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I was just behind ye for the first few miles, to be honest ye were all gliding along the road at that stage. The superstar has some grace on the tarmac

That's not too shabby for a first attempt by the way!

Wednesday OFF

Thursday OFF

Friday 6.3 mile very easy (7.42 min mile pace)

Saturday 10.5 miles easy (7.20 min mile pace)

In hindsight probably a bit ambitious with the recovery run the next day. I thought it would do me the world of good till wednesday when both gastronemius muscles siezed up completely to the point where I couldn't fully extend my legs after sitting for any duration at the work desk (literally pulled myself out of the chair every 20 min just to walk around and loosen them out)

Played it sensible the next two days and took it off and they are coming around now finally. Legs didn't feel too bad today at all so I should be good to go starting back sessions (albeit a little later than planned)

Sunday 2 mile easy, 5 mile tempo, 3 miles easy (7.07 ave. pace)

Splits: 30.32 - 6.06 average pace (6.05, 6.04, 6.07, 6.07, 6.09)

First session of the training plan. Originally had said to myself around 6 min pace would be ideal but I knew from the off Monday was still in my legs so I just aimed to maintain a solid effort. Felt fairly controlled and there was more left in the tank but again playing it safe to an extent after monday. All in all happy with how it went and how relatively consistent I was despite the profile of the route I used (bit of a climb on miles 2 and 4)

• Advertisement

Monday AM 5 miles easy (7.42 min mile pace)

Monday PM 9 miles easy (7.41 min mile pace)

Final exams are this week so I took a bit of time off for study and last min prep which meant I have a bit of free time meaning getting my runs in a little easier. Took this morning very handy and this evening met up with one of the lads from the club who was taking it handy so kept the pace handy also. Calves a little less heavy on the evening run so hopefully turning a corner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good luck with the exams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Congrats on the run. That experience will really stand to you in Rotterdam.

I suffered very similar cramping to yourself around the 22-mile mark. It was my first ever experience of cramping and was a big shock as I was cruising and ready to push on. I hit my target but the last four miles have concerned me. I never want to go through that again!

Why do you put this down to hydration issues rather than just a fatigue issue? I know cramping can be down to several issues so I'd be interested to see your view. I really don't think hydration was the issue for me. Thanks!

I suffered very similar cramping to yourself around the 22-mile mark. It was my first ever experience of cramping and was a big shock as I was cruising and ready to push on. I hit my target but the last four miles have concerned me. I never want to go through that again!

Why do you put this down to hydration issues rather than just a fatigue issue? I know cramping can be down to several issues so I'd be interested to see your view. I really don't think hydration was the issue for me. Thanks!

Not just dehydration but also nutrition and general race prep. I simply put it down to this because the week before was a bit of a nightmare in terms of work (50 hr week), appointments for massages and treatments (probably the busiest week of the year) and a few other factors out of my control meant sleep suffered, nutrition was not the best and overall hydration levels the few days building up to it were generally poor.

You do have a point however and could just been that the longest run I had done before it was an 18 miler the previous Sunday but to be honest given how I was feeling in the majority of the race I don't feel this was the issue especially given the fact that I got back on track on mile 25 after loosening out the legs.

Different people have different set backs but I think that in my case I had the residual strength from years of higher mileage to compensate some what for my lack of marathon prep.

Tuesday 2 mile warm up, drills, 24x200m, 2 mile cooldown

Recoveries: 200m jog - 65-70 sec

Splits:
    36, 36, 36, 36, 36, 37
    35, 34, 35, 36, 37, 36
    36, 36, 35, 37, 36, 37
    37, 36, 34, 35, 35, 36

Took the morning off so I could get a rub for the calves to finally get them looked at and hopefully shake the residual heaviness.

Finished up coaching and then time to start my own session. Nothing more disheartening than having to start your own session after you send all your athletes on your way and the lights are turned out half way through your own session:(

First speed session in god knows how long and to be honest I could tell. Legs had no major zip but all the same they were fairly consistent and felt fairly strong. Usually takes me a few weeks to get the zip back and I reckon that will be the case again especially after the marathon last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Tuesday 2 mile warm up, drills, 24x200m, 2 mile cooldown

Recoveries: 200m jog - 65-70 sec

Splits:
    36, 36, 36, 36, 36, 37
    35, 34, 35, 36, 37, 36
    36, 36, 35, 37, 36, 37
    37, 36, 34, 35, 35, 36

Took the morning off so I could get a rub for the calves to finally get them looked at and hopefully shake the residual heaviness.

Finished up coaching and then time to start my own session. Nothing more disheartening than having to start your own session after you send all your athletes on your way and the lights are turned out half way through your own session:(

First speed session in god know how long and to be honest I could tell. Legs had no major zip in the legs but all the same they were fairly consistent and felt fairly strong. Usually takes me a few weeks to get the zip back and I reckon that will be the case again especially after the marathon last week.

Still- good session and you finished strong by the looks of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Here is a good article on cramping:
    http://sweatscience.com/muscle-cramps-risk-factors-tapering-stretching-and-pacing/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

dna_leri wrote: »

That's and interesting article alright; but I still think there is something to the whole salt intake thing.
    I was pacing 3:40 in Dublin (36 minutes outside my PB) and had 3 x 20 milers done in training but got a total cramp in the left hamstring at mile 23 (thankfully I was able to run it off). This was followed by a Cramp of my Jaw/Side of my face when I went to explain to one of my fellow pacers that I had a cramp!! I can only Imagine that if I was getting cramp in the face it was not done to overuse of the muscles, but some nutritional factor (most likely salt- i had drank water but taken on no salt).
    It was likely a placebo but when I was handed some Lucozade Sport a few swigs and all the cramps went away.....The whole cramp thing is a real mystery to me and a very intereseting subject I would love to get to the bottom of. It has cost me in a few races!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

menoscemo wrote: »
    It was likely a placebo but when I was handed some Lucozade Sport a few swigs and all the cramps went away.....The whole cramp thing is a real mystery to me and a very intereseting subject I would love to get to the bottom of. It has cost me in a few races!!

Very interesting. Sorry to hijack your thread but over the two-week taper I noticed muscle twitching in my legs. Could the cramping, in this case, just be down to muscle damage? I like will look into my salt intake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's and interesting article alright; but I still think there is something to the whole salt intake thing.
    I was pacing 3:40 in Dublin (36 minutes outside my PB) and had 3 x 20 milers done in training but got a total cramp in the left hamstring at mile 23 (thankfully I was able to run it off). This was followed by a Cramp of my Jaw/Side of my face when I went to explain to one of my fellow pacers that I had a cramp!! I can only Imagine that if I was getting cramp in the face it was not done to overuse of the muscles, but some nutritional factor (most likely salt- i had drank water but taken on no salt).

Maybe you were just talking to much?? ;)

Advertisement