Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

pconn062 wrote: »
    Maybe you were just talking to much?? ;)

Yeah but there's nothing new there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

Looking at your marathon schedule you have 3 by 5k on Boxing day ( dont eat too much turkey the day before) and a session of 400s on New Years day. I doubt any track will be open on the first day of the calendar year unless you hop the fence at Donore Harriers. Make sure you have the Garmin charged on New Years Eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Looking at your marathon schedule you have 3 by 5k on Boxing day ( dont eat too much turkey the day before) and a session of 400s on New Years day. I doubt any track will be open on the first day of the calendar year unless you hop the fence at Donore Harriers. Make sure you have the Garmin charged on New Years Eve.

Did I post my marathon plan previously? :confused:

If I did then there have been some changes since that draft because I have no session Stephens day and no track session New Years day. With regard to track also I have a bit of flexibility with access to so holiday periods aren't too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ecoli wrote: »
    Did I post my marathon plan previously? :confused:

If I did then there have been some changes since that draft because I have no session Stephens day and no track session New Years day. With regard to track also I have a bit of flexibility with access to so holiday periods aren't too bad.

There was no need to post your training plan. Woodchopper is like Santa, he has been checking his list and magically knows people's training plans. He needs to find out if they have been good or bold boys training wise.

Wednesday 6 miles easy (7.26 min mile pace)

Just a handy one to loosen out the legs

Thursday AM 3 mile warm up, 8x800, 3 mile cooldown

Splits:2.41, 2.42, 2.41, 2.40, 2.41, 2.41, 2.45, 2.44

Recoveries: 2.45 - 3 min (Jog 400m)

Wind was a killer for these so a little slower than planned but given early stages of training I was not too worried about anything more than a good solid effort. After the first one drquirky had seemed to work into them as he would blow by me after about 200m and leave me in his wake but managed to keep them quite consistent until the last two which was a combination of the wind picking up even more and fatigue setting in

Thursday PM 4 miles recovery (8.20 min mile pace)

• Advertisement

TRR wrote: »
    There was no need to post your training plan. Woodchopper is like Santa, he has been checking his list and magically knows people's training plans. He needs to find out if they have been good or bold boys training wise.

Christmas references at the start of November should be a bannable offence :mad::D However ill allow it this once :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Christmas references at the start of November should be a bannable offence :mad::D However ill allow it this once :p

He's only trying to get you to sit on his knee ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    He's only trying to get you to sit on his knee ;)

With motivational tactics like that no wonder his athletes are running (away) so fast:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

With motivational tactics like that no wonder his athletes are running (away) so fast:P

Ermm..... I quite like that "torch" he keeps in his pocket, he says it helps deliver a flash of brilliance ;)

Following on from some concerned messages over the last while which ranged from "hope training going well" to "are you still alive" decided I should get around to updating this. Truth be told following on from my exams I decided to take a break from everything (bar training don't worry)

Friday - OFF - Day before exams so needless to say was stuck in books for the day with a scheduled few days off as a result of the exams

Sat - OFF Long day of exams, a huge thanks to CL, Digdig and the directionally challenged TRR for being bodies for part of the exams. The culmination of a hell of alot of hard work (don't think I did as much study in all my years in LC and College combined as I did for this)

Sunday - Hangover day - Guilt free day off and just did absolutely nothing but die a death and sit and play the waiting game for exam results (still pending)

Monday - 5 miles recovery (9.12 min pace)

Tuesday AM - 4 miles easy (7.36 min pace)
    Tuesday PM - 9 miles easy (7.28 min mile pace)

Wednesday - 5 miles easy (7.24 min mile)
    Wednesday PM - 10 miles easy (7.33 min mile)

Thursday - 3 mile warm up, 20x400m w/ 1.15 (200m jog) recovery, 3 mile cooldown

Splits
    81, 80, 80, 78, 79, 78, 78, 80, 79, 79,
    79, 82, 77, 79, 81, 80, 79, 79, 78, 77

Nothing spectacular for this session but at the same time happy enough. Not trying to make every session a hero workout but rather just keep plugging away and get the consistency in order to slowly build up rather than be in good shape come January and then go missing closer to the goal race as I have been guilty of doing in the past.

Friday AM - 8 miles easy (7.28 min mile pace)
    Friday PM - 5 miles easy (7.22 min mile pace)

Saturday - 18 miles easy (7.33 min mile pace)

First long run since the marathon and once the legs got to about 11 miles the body started to tell me "oh hell know you are not pulling that one again" thankfully that feeling passed and kept it nice and handy. Legs fatiguing a little coming to the end but nothing drastic

Sunday OFF

With the week off work I had only noticed that I was already up at 75 miles for the week. Rather than go too far took the day off and just did a fair bit of yoga to try work on the shocking flexibility

Monday - 10.5 miles (7.23 min mile pace)

Tuesday - 5 miles easy (7.34 min mile pace)

Wednesday AM - 11 miles w/ 5 mile tempo

6.04, 5.59, 5.57, 5.54, 5.53

Windy as hell for this one so I was kinda dreading it but mapped my route out smart enough so I started into the wind but the first mile was slightly sheltered. Got into a nice rhythm and felt comfortably fast (a feeling I had long since forgotten) coming to mile 4 and was really happy with how it was going and started considering pushing it to a 10k tempo but stuck to the plan. Really happy with how this went.

Wednesday Evening - Plyometrics, med ball work, hip mobility, weights

Coaching this evening and the weather had caused a few casualties so I had the freedom to jump in with the session. Despite it being a sprinter workout the routine is very beneficial and always find it solid work (90 min work). Finished it up with my weight work of deadlifts and squats.

Wednesday Night - 4 miles recovery (8.27 min mile pace)

Completely fried for this one just managed to get around. Knew if I didn't get out for this one just to get the bloodflow into the legs though the legs would be fried for a few days. Not every run is pretty (and this one wasn't) but all are necessary

• Advertisement

Sat - OFF Long day of exams, a huge thanks to CL, Digdig and the directionally challenged TRR for being bodies for part of the exams.

No way am I'm taking that! I do indeed have the worst sense of direction in Dublin but you said Marino college http://www.marinocollege.ie/ not Marino institure of Education http://www.mie.ie/. I have the text message to prove it!

Normally my log would not be the greatest for conversation and is simply a place for me to record my training and as such there is very little off topic discussion from me but this is one of the few exceptions simply because it is something that I really poured my heart and soul into.

Not only passing my Sports therapy exams but exceeding my own expectations. I can honestly say in all my life I have never put so much work into anything (training included) and though it has come with a fair few sacrifices it was worth it.

This post is just a way of saying thank you to every single person who helped me or put their faith in me throughout my course from the clients who trusted me to work on them as a student and helped me throughout my course in anyway (Letyourselfgo, Meno, Oreganostate, Marthastew, drquirky, Tunguska,TRR, digger, CL, HelenAnne, Dory Dory and every other non-boardsie who I have worked on)

(Apologies if I missed anyone or there are any boardsies who I worked on at events unbeknown to me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Serious congrats man!

Congrats. Ye helped sort out my dodgy arse ;) during the summer so ye get the thumbs up from me!

On a totally unrelated topic I'm watching nick jr with the young lad and they have their own little boy/girl band who sing songs during the adds. My 3 year old was pointing at one of the male singers and continuously saying he was one of Daddy's friends. When I pushed him he said it was you! There is a definite resemblance all right :) ill have to find a pic of them and post it for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Well done on the exams!

Does this mean you can now charge an extra tenner per session ;)

Gavlor wrote: »
    Well done on the exams!

Does this mean you can now charge an extra tenner per session ;)

Thus is my big fear, especially since I have and appointment in Monday :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats Ecoli and very well deserved. I like how you also said at the Beer Mile (it was late) that you'd give Boardsies a 50% discount once you qualified. Much appreciated ! :)

Congrats Ecoli and very well deserved. I like how you also said at the Beer Mile (it was late) that you'd give Boardsies a 50% discount once you qualified. Much appreciated ! :)

I was thanked in his post so in expecting free treatments for at least 12 months! Just sayin'

Congrats. Ye helped sort out my dodgy arse ;) during the summer so ye get the thumbs up from me!

Dodgy arse and thumbs up in the same sentence and Dig hasn't been along to comment. He really is slipping in his old age :p

On a totally unrelated topic I'm watching nick jr with the young lad and they have their own little boy/girl band who sing songs during the adds. My 3 year old was pointing at one of the male singers and continuously saying he was one of Daddy's friends. When I pushed him he said it was you! There is a definite resemblance all right ill have to find a pic of them and post it for you!

Maybe I missed my calling forget this sports therapy lark and turn to the entertainment lifestyle. I could be the next Justin Beiber but then I would probably have to find the nearest cliff and proceed to jump off it.:D

I also said that day I planned on running a fast time in the beermile so I guess there was two broken promises that night :D

However I have always stated their would be a discount for boards members and I stand by that

• Advertisement

Thursday Afternoon 4 miles easy (7.38 min mile pace)
    Bit strapped for time on this one however as I started running I was feeling like muck. Body was in bits and by the end was struggling to hit 8 min pace. Put this down to a sugar crash despite eating well during the day as went home and horsed in a sweet chilli stir fry and a rake custard creams and was as right as reign.

Thursday PM 6 miles easy (7.31 mile pace)

Handy one with TRR tonight after coaching and feeling grand. What a difference 3 hours makes :D

Friday 5 miles easy (7.21 mile pace)

Extremely long day in work meant this was a 2am run but was in high spirits after finding out about exams so nothing was gonna dampen the mood

Saturday AM 13.2 miles (6.51 mile pace)

6.48, 6.48, 6.48, 6.53, 6.47, 6.48, 6.51, 6.47, 6.48, 7.03, 7.00, 6.47

Pacing the Clontarf Half with Quirky this morning. Went pretty and settled into a nice rhythm early on (quirky pushed ahead slightly to break up the group) well till the return trip along the beach where got a bit of a shock when pace dropped to seven min miles and despite this athletes were dropping like flies. Made a judgement call to not try match the pace as the effort level would have killed off the few who hadn't died off.

Did my best to try get as many of the stragglers as close to the 1.30 as I could. Satisfied with the effort (hopefully the pacees are to as there is atleast a min or two there for people who were racing in there next half)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats again on your exams, don't forget your friends when you're rich and famous;)
    The return on the beach was a killer and you made the right call getting people to hang on to you, another great pacing job from the dynamic duo:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Did my best to try get as many of the stragglers as close to the 1.30 as I could. Satisfied with the effort (hopefully the pacees are to as there is atleast a min or two there for people who were racing in there next half)

I'll just translate that so. 1:31 pacer! ;)

blockic wrote: »
    I'll just translate that so. 1:31 pacer! ;)

That's the second pacing job in a row he's failed at :) fecking kids these days!

That's the second pacing job in a row he's failed at :) fecking kids these days!

Last time I checked I was pacing 16-18 miles not 26.2 so I reckon getting to 24 on pace was mission accomplished and then some :D

As for today I changed my mandate from pacer to motivator similar to last time I paced Clontarf. Leave no man/woman behind (to an extent :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Last time I checked I was pacing 16-18 miles not 26.2 so I reckon getting to 24 on pace was mission accomplished and then some :D

As for today I changed my mandate from pacer to motivator similar to last time I paced Clontarf. Leave no man/woman behind (to an extent :D)

I've got Ecoli's back on both of these- his CL pacing was outstanding considering he'd done zero proper long runs and still managed 24 and today the wind in the face on the beach pretty much blew everyone to hell- I was more or less running on my own for the last mile or so- don't know what purpose that serves!

I know its all tongue and cheek but I've been there for both and thought the pacing was spot on....

drquirky wrote: »
    I've got Ecoli's back on both of these- his CL pacing was outstanding considering he'd done zero proper long runs and still managed 24 and today the wind in the face on the beach pretty much blew everyone to hell- I was more or less running on my own for the last mile or so- don't know what purpose that serves!

I know its all tongue and cheek but I've been there for both and thought the pacing was spot on....

You forgot the first rule of pacing:
    Get in on time and F*** the pacees :D (does not apply to personal pacing of course)

menoscemo wrote: »
    You forgot the first rule of pacing:
    Get in on time and F*** the pacees :D

The selfless noble art of pacing :P

The selfless noble art of pacing :P

:D
    FWIW I watched the two lads coming in and it was pretty clear that DrQ had become the timekeeper and Ecoli had become the 'Mr Motivator' to the stragglers. I'd say everyone pretty much got the best time they could have got (In saying that, if it had been me I would have just ditched the stragglers :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Id hazard a guess it was a long course....

Advertisement