Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

TRR wrote: »
    Must be hard for you being in your youth and having to look at my saggy old ass run off into the distance!

That image will haunt my nightmares now. Thankfully only 132 days till your put in your place (or even sooner depending on the H2H in Feb :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ecoli wrote: »
    That image will haunt my nightmares now. Thankfully only 132 days till your put in your place (or even sooner depending on the H2H in Feb :D)

talk is cheap bitch!

talk is cheap bitch!

Ill be in shape when it counts don't you worry

Ill be in shape when it counts don't you worry

I'm not!

Tuesday 10.5 miles easy (6.58 min mile pace)

Another late one tonight as I am on evenings all this week it means that the majority of my runs this will will be rolling into the wee hours of the night but to be honest I am throughly enjoying the late night runs as the roads are so peaceful and temps are actually not bad at all. Got into a nice rhythm from the very first step of this run and just tipped along nicely. Legs a small bit heavy from session yesterday but nothing too bad

• Advertisement

Wednesday AM 5 miles easy (7.25 min mile pace)

Just a handy one before work to loosen out the legs. Felt pretty good throughout this and fairly effortless (exactly what I need with a long tempo tomorrow :D)

Just a handy one before work to loosen out the legs. Felt pretty good throughout this and fairly effortless (exactly what I need with a long tempo tomorrow :D)

Don't forget you're racing Sunday beitch. Don't leave it all behind in training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

What distance are you running Sunday?

Don't forget you're racing Sunday beitch. Don't leave it all behind in training!

Don't you worry Fri and Sat will be very handy

pa4 wrote: »
    What distance are you running Sunday?

8kish (Irish XC not exactly known for its accuracy :D)

• Advertisement

8kish (Irish XC not exactly known for its accuracy :D)

Haha true! Best of luck anyway, your training seems to be going well and those strength sessions should really help :)

Haha true! Best of luck anyway, your training seems to be going well and those strength sessions should really help :)

Feeling strong but know I am lacking race fitness and sharpness (as has been apparent in my sessions)

Hoping a few race efforts will bring me on and using them more as a training tool despite them being all out efforts

Feeling strong but know I am lacking race fitness and sharpness (as has been apparent in my sessions)

Hoping a few race efforts will bring me on and using them more as a training tool despite them being all out efforts

It'll definitely benefit you in the long run, it may be a shock to the system at first but the first race back is always the toughest!

It'll definitely benefit you in the long run, it may be a shock to the system at first but the first race back is always the toughest!

Especially with no sessions done on the grass, still, if geriatrics such as tRR are doing it then I wouldn't be able to show my face in the club if I didn't step up :D

Especially with no sessions done on the grass, still, if geriatrics such as tRR are doing it then I wouldn't be able to show my face in the club if I didn't step up :D

Haha exactly, no point shying away from it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

Wednesday AM 5 miles easy (7.25 min mile pace)

60 minutes on tap baby!

Remember your the predator and the tempo is your prey!

60 minutes on tap baby!

Remember your the predator and the tempo is your prey!

Well versed in Simmons or Hadley I see :D

The plan is not the one taken from the book however though my training is based on the philosophies alright

(for anyone lost in this, well worth a read http://www.mprunning.com/attachments/File/Maximum_Performance_Running_s_Book_(July_2011).pdf )

Wednesday PM 6.2 miles easy (7.20 min mile pace)

Not too much to report on this one. Kept it nice and handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well versed in Simmons or Hadley I see :D

The plan is not the one taken from the book however though my training is based on the philosophies alright

(for anyone lost in this, well worth a read http://www.mprunning.com/attachments/File/Maximum_Performance_Running_s_Book_(July_2011).pdf)
    The link doesn't open :(

Error 404 - Not Found

The document you are looking for may have been removed or re-named. Please contact the web site owner for further assistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Advertisement

Thursday 1 mile easy, 10 mile tempo, 1 mile easy

Splits: 10 miles- 62.24 (6.14 mile pace)
    6.20, 6.16, 6.14, 6.17, 6.20, 6.13, 6.09, 6.07, 6.17, 6.04

Very happy with this session not just because of the splits being slightly quicker than I was expecting (aim was to be happy with around 6.15-6.20) but more importantly the effort level was very controlled and surprised at how I good I felt.

Bit of a wind out tonight so I tried to pick a loop which would be fair and decent enough to keep the effort levels consistent so had a 5 mile loop in mind with the last 2 miles of each loop being pretty much into the wind. Effort level was consistent throughout though the legs loosened out a bit and settled into the pace nicely on the second lap. Last mile was hard but still controlled and am happy with the fact it was the fastest as well as being into the wind.

Probably my best session in a long while and shows that strength is coming along nicely even with my slightly struggling at the intervals but I think that will come in time over the next few months as I get more sessions under my belt.

Friday 5 miles easy (7.37 min mile pace)

Handy one tonight. Hard work for the week done now 2 down days to breath life back into the legs for Sunday. Tonight was a bit of a dreary run - no midnight soup guy who has become a regular enough occurrence over the last few months and not one single fox (although I did change the route up which excluded the almost nightly appearance of one particular fox along the Dodder)

Friday 5 miles easy (7.37 min mile pace)

Handy one tonight. Hard work for the week done now 2 down days to breath life back into the legs for Sunday. Tonight was a bit of a dreary run - no midnight soup guy who has become a regular enough occurrence over the last few months and not one single fox (although I did change the route up which excluded the almost nightly appearance of one particular fox along the Dodder)

Midnight soup? Is that code for a bit of strange?

Midnight soup? Is that code for a bit of strange?

If only. Its actually a man in a suit sitting in a park with a flask of soup (and no I am not naive as I can actually get the whiff of usually tomato or chicken and veg as going by him on occasion).

Wouldn't get that kinda carry on in Tallaght I tell you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Just now getting caught up! Super fab congratulations on passing your exams and exceeding your expectations. I've had many different talented hands work on my arse ;) (legitimately professionally speaking!), and I can honestly say your hands are the stuff of topnotch magic!! Well done you. Never in doubt! :)

Saturday 4 miles recovery + strides (9.07 min mile pace)

Very bad night sleep last night but surprisingly the crash that I was expecting never came. Very handy run to loosen out the legs for tomorrow. All in all looking forward to the race tomorrow. Its the first race this year that has been an all out effort that endurance will not be an issue. Though I am lacking a bit on the sharper stuff I still feel should be able to give a decent account of myself. Will be a nice way to finish the year race wise on the up after what has been a forgettable year running wise for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

nightly appearance of one particular fox along the Dodder)
    U sure it wasnt a racoon.....

First race effort since July so I didn't know what to expect. Training has been going well as of late but it has all be done with the emphasis on getting strong and everything was controlled so an all out effort was gonna benefit me one way or another.

Had the luxury of having this race on my doorstep so a five min walk and I was over to watch a few of the younger club members competing.

Got to the start line to see that the loop was a reverse on what I had thought. This made the course faster and easier to an extent however given my training as of late I was kinda hoping that we had a long drag of a hill on each lap as strength was gonna be my ally on this occasion.

Gun went and a relatively lax start compared to what I remember from these kinda races which saw me right up the front however thankfully people got into their running and slotted into the back of the main pack with tRR just ahead. The course was a 4 lap course. First lap legs weren't the most comfortable. There was a big group that I was just metres from however the legs just wouldn't move to claw them up so was kinda out on my own.

Second lap and the legs started feeling a bit better. I was working but I felt good and happy enough with the way I was going. At this stage I had three people around me and the group was starting to get strung out and spitting a few out the back.

Come third lap and I was really feeling it. The familiar thoughts of doubt came into the mind and the split second notions of dropping out however these were few and far between thankfully. I was neither gaining ground nor losing ground on the runners in front of me despite being on my own at this stage.

Coming into the last lap and there was a guy in touching distance of me who I could tell from the cheers for him had gained ground. Given my lack of zip I decided to play it tactical here. I knew he was going to try and catch me on the down hill so I decided to make him work for it. I upped the pace slightly to make sure that he would be working much harder than he had been and true to form he gained slightly despite my increase but I knew I had some left in the tank so once we had come around to the climbs again I put in a big surge and sure enough this broke him and he fell away.

Didn't know whether I had enough to put in a sprint but the body responded and finished very strong.

Checked results after and seems like I got 30th. Happy with this result as it was higher than I had initially though and was third scorer on the team which was where I had planned.

In terms of the race it was just great to be back out there. You can do all the training in the world but nothing gets you out of your comfort zone like having to dig deep when you are hurting. Good to end this year of running (races) on a high note.

ID just like to confirm that the 2 scorers on the team ahead of ecoli were geriatrics! Well that's what he described us as ;) all joking aside good run!

• Advertisement

ID just like to confirm that the 2 scorers on the team ahead of ecoli were geriatrics! Well that's what he described us as ;) all joking aside good run!

Ah but question is how sore will you be tomorrow as a result of that sort of effort ;)

Not to bad yourself today old man:D

Advertisement