Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good race Ecoli- especially w/ a pretty heavy week session wise! Good to see you coming back into some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats on a great race:D
    Mr S and I were out with junior in the morning, fantastic day for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ecoli wrote: »
    Ah but question is how sore will you be tomorrow as a result of that sort of effort ;)

Not to bad yourself today old man:D

Ill concede that point. The body is wrecked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Monday 5 miles easy (7.17 pace)

Just a handy one with the race the day before. Delighted to say no ill effects. Had expected to be a little sore but just a general heaviness which I am hoping is more a case of good strength at the moment and not that I didn't work hard enough yesterday

Tuesday 3 miles easy, 12x300 w/ 300 jog rec (3 min), 3 miles easy

Splits: 49, 49, 48, 49, 48, 49, 49, 49, 49, 50, 50, 49

Met up with Quirky down at the track for this one. Little bit of speed thrown in the next two weeks for good measure just to keep me honest but didn't know how these were gonna go as speed has not been my friend as of late. Optimistically hoped for between 50-52 on a good day for this session but was kinda shocked to see a sub 50 first rep. Form felt good. The recoveries were generous and aerobically was recovered pretty quick but a general lactic accumulation throughout the session made this tough. By the time we got to the 10th one I was losing form slightly but managed to recompose myself and dug in.

Very happy with the session and the times. A few of them thrown in every now and then is a good thing even when working on strength just so you never get too far away from any aspect of training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Great going on the 300s!

• Advertisement

Tuesday PM Plyometrics + weights

Like a kid at Christmas tonight as when I got to the club to do these before coaching what do I see before me only brand new plyo platforms :D. Much like getting a new parcel from Start fitness encourages you to run this was just the motivation I needed especially after the session in the morning. The only downside was with these platforms I was able to incorporate some of the higher intensity stuff I couldn't do in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

What's a plyo platform?

Before I go googling, I imagine it's a soft surface to protect your shins, joints and ligaments from the high stresses involved. Could be completely off the mark.

edit: Like this mebbe?

What's a plyo platform?

Before I go googling, I imagine it's a soft surface to protect your shins, joints and ligaments from the high stresses involved. Could be completely off the mark.

edit: Like this mebbe?

That's the ones. Just makes it easier to do from a safety perspective as well as being higher than trying to stack up them aerobics steps or plastic chairs (not exactly safe but they did a job in the past :D)

Wednesday Evening 4.5 miles (7.35 mile pace)

Was feeling a bit guilty for not getting out this morning but between one thing and another I hadn't a chance as I had a few things that could not be avoided around which I also had a massage booked in.

As luck would have it though there was a rare overlap in shifts in work meaning that I could get away from the desk for a sneaky half hour run. Happy to get that in as it means I can still double. Body feeling a little worse for wear after weights and plyos yesterday but nothing drastic

Wednesday PM 10.5 miles easy (7.12 mile pace)

First late night run of the week and in a weird way I kinda missed them to be honest. Pang of hunger in the car on the way home but thankfully I had an emergency snack waiting on the house for such an occasion (A kind thank you to a certain boards baker for this ;) ) The earlier run definitely got the blood flowing in the legs and cleared them a bit but I was left with the residual tightness from yesterday so run done and a good 20 min on the roller before bed. Next session not till friday so body should be good to go by then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

You do enjoy your late night runs!

pa4 wrote: »
    You do enjoy your late night runs!

To be fair it is a good thing as at the moment due to family commitments it is the only thing that will enable me to be able to keep up consistent training for the next few weeks.

Thursday 6.5 miles (6.51 mile pace)

Due to constraints around work today and with no overlap in shifts only had a chance to get a short run in late night. Legs back to normal today so all good. I think the one thing so far I have learned from this training block is that my body seems to react better with 2 easy days in between sessions. It has allowed me to really work hard on the hard days but I think my body is recovering sufficiently the hopefully remain consistent and pray to go no injuries and niggles which are usual part an parcel of heavy training cycles (I know coming into my last 2 half marathon PBs I had a few weeks where training suffered due to niggles or illness). Its still early days but so far so good which is fairly miraculous given sleep patterns this time round compared to previously

Fri AM 4 miles easy (N/A mile pace)

Not so much AM but given the daily patterns of my running recently this was early:D Took a lot of negotiating and juggling things around but I somehow managed to wrangle a half hour away from the computer today so in changing maneuver that even Clark Kent would have been proud of I was in running gear and out the door.

Outside the office is always a fairly bad place to get signal for the Garmin but I didn't have time to wait around so I just did a loop I know to be just a shade over 4 miles around UCD.

Run felt a decent clip however this could have just been due to being fairly weak with hunger.

Not the most elegant of runs but they all count :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Wednesday PM 10.5 miles easy (7.12 mile pace)

First late night run of the week and in a weird way I kinda missed them to be honest. Pang of hunger in the car on the way home but thankfully I had an emergency snack waiting on the house for such an occasion (A kind thank you to a certain boards baker for this ;) ) The earlier run definitely got the blood flowing in the legs and cleared them a bit but I was left with the residual tightness from yesterday so run done and a good 20 min on the roller before bed. Next session not till friday so body should be good to go y then

The roller is that your pet name for your other half

The roller is that your pet name for your other half

If that was the case I would be doing a hell of alot more work in the name of injury prevention :D Currently living the bachelor lifestyle. Its the only way to actually stay on track with training..... Just ask digger :P

Friday PM 2.5 miles easy, 16x400m w/100m jog rec (40 sec), 2.5 miles easy

Splits:
    83, 81, 79, 79, 79, 78, 79, 80,
    79, 79, 79, 78, 78, 80, 79, 79

Looking at the splits on paper not the greatest session on earth however given the day I will take it. Family obligations again today meaning that I didn't get home till after 11 and was falling asleep and had no interest in moving but managed to drag myself out the door and up to the track.

Track pitch black so only time I was seeing splits on the watch was when hitting the lap button at the end of the rep so by the time I saw if I was going too fast or too slow it was too late to do anything about it. Thankfully the splits were consistent (if even on the slow side).

I was half expecting to see the cops pull up at the track and try eject me if I was spotted on the track but sure what kind of person in their right mind would be down near a private track at midnight (apart from yours truly)

All in all session got done and that is about all I can say about it. I think if it was any other kinda session there was not a chance of me getting it done but given this one is a quite controlled one and one which I kinda enjoy I managed to get through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Friday PM 2.5 miles easy, 16x400m w/100m jog rec (40 sec), 2.5 miles easy

Splits:
    83, 81, 79, 79, 79, 78, 79, 80,
    79, 79, 79, 78, 78, 80, 79, 79

Looking at the splits on paper not the greatest session on earth however given the day I will take it. Family obligations again today meaning that I didn't get home till after 11 and was falling asleep and had no interest in moving but managed to drag myself out the door and up to the track.

Track pitch black so only time I was seeing splits on the watch was when hitting the lap button at the end of the rep so by the time I saw if I was going too fast or too slow it was too late to do anything about it. Thankfully the splits were consistent (if even on the slow side).

I was half expecting to see the cops pull up at the track and try eject me if I was spotted on the track but sure what kind of person in their right mind would be down near a private track at midnight (apart from yours truly)

All in all session got done and that is about all I can say about it. I think if it was any other kinda session there was not a chance of me getting it done but given this one is a quite controlled one and one which I kinda enjoy I managed to get through it

You are completely mental. Perfect session though on the back of those 300s though . All systems in touch etc etc

drquirky wrote: »
    You are completely mental. Perfect session though on the back of those 300s though . All systems in touch etc etc

You know yourself I am an all or nothing kinda person. If it was me 6 months ago I would have taken the night off as well as 2 more just for good measure to ensure I was "rested" :p. Thankfully I have well and truly snapped myself out of the slump.

On the time issue sure its no different than a 6am college session over in the state side once you get used to them there no issue and with it being winter there is no difference with a 6pm run or a midnight one. Dark is Dark :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

***Crazy man alert****:D

And those are respectable splits given the recovery and darkness. 10/10 for commitment!

Cleanman wrote: »
    ***Crazy man alert****:D

And those are respectable splits given the recovery and darkness. 10/10 for commitment!

Its to make up for my 1/10 commitment from last October to about August. In a weird way that is one of the things that drives me on the tougher days. Following on from PB in the half last September training took a massive blow and while not on complete break the training was sporadic at best. This showed up in results running my slowest 5m time ever as well as my slowest 2 10k times as well as a few other lack-lustred results. I will finish 2013 with only one PB (and that is only because I had never ran the marathon distance before). It is something that I keep on the mind and its a point where I don't want to ever let myself use excuses for not training again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

You're being harsh on yourself there, the work/college combo meant burning a lot of candles at every end possible.
    So your commitment was spread out a bit!

Either way, you're still a crazy man.

You're being harsh on yourself there, the work/college combo meant burning a lot of candles at every end possible.
    So your commitment was spread out a bit!

Either way, you're still a crazy man.

Given beer mile training for next year my complete undivided attention :D

Great run today man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Do you not find it difficult to sleep after doing a session at 11 at night!?

Beef wrote: »
    Do you not find it difficult to sleep after doing a session at 11 at night!?

Not too bad to be honest especially in winter as I have said to a few people sure its dark at 4 these days so no real difference.

I was dozing just before I went out but the cold air saw to that :D

Saturday OFF

First time in a few weeks but I wasn't too guilty about it. The thought had crossed my mind to get out for a few cheeky miles after the boards night out but given my reputation for being a little "eccentric" with these late night runs I figured I would forgo the wrath of the general public :D

Sunday 19.5 miles easy (7.18 min mile pace)

Body was certainly thanking me for driving in and out last night by the time this one was over. Had a perfect combination of my two usual 10 mile loops planned tonight for this long run but as is tRR's nature to stir things up the plan went by the waist side :D. Got a text from him for a run and actually made this run a whole lot easier as broke it up nicely 6 miles up to him, 7 miles with him and 6 miles back.
    First six miles weren't pretty. My calves occasionally react badly to days off and this was one of them occasions. First few miles they were screaming. Thought it might be laces too tight but that didn't alleviate the problem so just pushed on. Got to the stage where I was numb from the ankle down, an odd sensation, kinda like trying to run in giant slippers but it was not the first time it has happened and sure enough after a few miles I was grand. Tipped away nicely then and by the time I got to tRR I had the hardest part of the run done (first six miles were continual climb into the wind). After this was smooth sailing and by the time I left tRR the pace had naturally lowered but I was running quite handy thankfully. Was happy with how I felt given I was up on 15 miles at this point.
    Fatigue kicked in the last two miles but nothing too drastic. Was good to get my first proper +2 hour run in since the marathon

Monday AM 5 miles recovery (8.40 min mile pace)

A little quicker than my usual recovery run but effort was the same so that was all that mattered. Calves a little tender from yesterday's run but me thinks that 2 slices of peanut butter on toast might be the reason for this (not exactly proper refueling after a long run). Legs came back to life though as the run went on.

Exactly what I need as the week ahead is one of the tougher ones with some particularly heavy sessions but sure what doesn't kill us makes us stronger right?

Monday PM 8.75 miles easy (7.13 min mile pace)

The recovery run plus bit of time on the grid today and the legs were as good as new for this one. Met up with tRR again tonight (I think he is trying to reclaim his long forgotten youth at this stage trying to hang around with the younger crowd :D)

I can now see why he is a grumpy auld fecker on boards,you would be to if you had people chucking glass bottles out car windows aiming for you while you run (thankfully narrowly missed us as it smashed of a wall inches from us) Funny enough living up around that area previously any trouble I have ever had on a run was on that same stretch of road (previously had large stones and rocks launched on separate occasions)

Such utter scumbags around with nothing better to do. Its a pity that Tallaght uncharacteristically didn't have empty beer bottles lying by the road side to return the favour and put through the window of the car :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Monday AM 5 miles recovery (8.40 min mile pace)

Calves a little tender from yesterday's run but me thinks that 2 slices of peanut butter on toast might be the reason for this (not exactly proper refueling after a long run). ?

Ecoli - quick question on this one, is Peanut butter and toast not considered to be a good source of carb\protein and therefore a decent recovery fuel? Would you have eaten a meal aftewards aswell or is your point that this is ALL you had?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That reminds me! We were on a coach down to Athlone on Sunday morning, about 9.40, and as we passed Tymon we saw two Tallaght athletes running across the motorway :eek: I know you guys are desperate to escape, but there are better ways!

• Advertisement

Duanington wrote: »
    Ecoli - quick question on this one, is Peanut butter and toast not considered to be a good source of carb\protein and therefore a decent recovery fuel? Would you have eaten a meal aftewards aswell or is your point that this is ALL you had?

Sorry yes should have qualified that's all I had

Advertisement