Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

digger2d2 wrote: »
    He was probably busy plotting the downfall of the Swiss nation ;)

I was busy working on this

http://www.thejournal.ie/switzerland-national-anthem-change-1221178-Dec2013/

I just need to find something that rhymes with "you are a shower of nazi gold hoarding bastards"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Monday: 1 mile warm up, 17 miles steady, 1 mile cooldown

Splits 17 miles (6.35 min per mile)

(6.38, 6.38, 6.36, 6.35, 6.36, 6.36, 6.43, 6.34, 6.38, 6.28, 6.34, 6.30, 6.23, 6.29, 6.31, 6.40, 6.44)

I dunno why but I tend to dread these seeing these sessions on the page. They are not that bad to do but there is a bit of an irrational fear of running steady for long runs (perhaps more just a fear because I am not used to them). As a result I had been pushing this run back for the majority of the day (or maybe just the fact that I was being lazy :p)
    Made the mistake of a bag of wine gums a few hours before this run which weren't sitting well so I just said I would start out easy and hopefully this would help with the aul digestion. It did and I was quickly into my running going nice and handy. Plan was the 2nd half of the DCM course and the couple of mile back from town which would pretty much give me bang on the distance. Tipping away and after 2-3 miles it became apparent that 6.40 was the bench mark for steady today. Pace was nice and handy initially but I knew coming to the end of the run I would be working for the 6.40s.
    Tipped away nicely for the first few miles and they were flying by and even without the couple of thousand supporters as well as cheerleaders encouraging me up Heartbreak hill it was relatively handy (although they would have been appreciated:D)
    Came to about 10 miles and popped a gel in, not out of necessity but more to help get the body used to taking them over the next few months. Unfortunately this did not go great (I think this exasperated the earlier wine gum issue). Coming into mile 11 and I was not feeling great and hit mile 12 bang on when I stopped and started blowing chunks in a scene that is befitting the exploits of Meno'froth and Projectilecoli in the beer mile :D. The dinner, wine gums and gel were lost...... but not the session. A fleeting thought about hailing down a taxi and admitting defeat was short lived as I came to the realisation that I had only been stationary 2-3 mins max, this was nothing more that an extended traffic light stop so got going again and fell back into the pace with no ill effects thankfully following the Linda Blair style performance.
    Coming up Georges Street and the bobbing and weaving skills shown would have rivalled Messi or Ronaldo to the point where I was so focused on not mowing down someone that the pace was forgotten about till I glanced down to see low 6s, balls to that slow it down. Last few miles were tough enough (didn't help that I had the wind head on at this point)
    Actually happy to get that one in and eliminate that fear as I had built up that type of session way too much in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

ecoli wrote: »
    Monday: 1 mile warm up, 17 miles steady, 1 mile cooldown

Splits 17 miles (6.35 min per mile)

(6.38, 6.38, 6.36, 6.35, 6.36, 6.36, 6.43, 6.34, 6.38, 6.28, 6.34, 6.30, 6.23, 6.29, 6.31, 6.40, 6.44)

I dunno why but I tend to dread these seeing these sessions on the page. They are not that bad to do but there is a bit of an irrational fear of running steady for long runs (perhaps more just a fear because I am not used to them). As a result I had been pushing this run back for the majority of the day (or maybe just the fact that I was being lazy :p)
    Made the mistake of a bag of wine gums a few hours before this run which weren't sitting well so I just said I would start out easy and hopefully this would help with the aul digestion. It did and I was quickly into my running going nice and handy. Plan was the 2nd half of the DCM course and the couple of mile back from town which would pretty much give me bang on the distance. Tipping away and after 2-3 miles it became apparent that 6.40 was the bench mark for steady today. Pace was nice and handy initially but I knew coming to the end of the run I would be working for the 6.40s.
    Tipped away nicely for the first few miles and they were flying by and even without the couple of thousand supporters as well as cheerleaders encouraging me up Heartbreak hill it was relatively handy (although they would have been appreciated:D)
    Came to about 10 miles and popped a gel in, not out of necessity but more to help get the body used to taking them over the next few months. Unfortunately this did not go great (I think this exasperated the earlier wine gum issue). Coming into mile 11 and I was not feeling great and hit mile 12 bang on when I stopped and started blowing chunks in a scene that is befitting the exploits of Meno'froth and Projectilecoli in the beer mile :D. The dinner, wine gums and gel were lost...... but not the session. A fleeting thought about hailing down a taxi and admitting defeat was short lived as I came to the realisation that I had only been stationary 2-3 mins max, this was nothing more that an extended traffic light stop so got going again and fell back into the pace with no ill effects thankfully following the Linda Blair style performance.
    Coming up Georges Street and the bobbing and weaving skills shown would have rivalled Messi or Ronaldo to the point where I was so focused on not mowing down someone that the pace was forgotten about till I glanced down to see low 6s, balls to that slow it down. Last few miles were tough enough (didn't help that I had the wind head on at this point)
    Actually happy to get that one in and eliminate that fear as I had built up that type of session way too much in my head.

Great stuff- 19 miles w/ 17 @ 6:35 is pretty sweet. I know I don' have to tll you this but make sure you really manage the recovery from that. Still loads of time before R'dam and the last thing you wanna do is overcook. Easy running for the next few days?

drquirky wrote: »
    Great stuff- 19 miles w/ 17 @ 6:35 is pretty sweet. I know I don' have to tll you this but make sure you really manage the recovery from that. Still loads of time before R'dam and the last thing you wanna do is overcook. Easy running for the next few days?

Don't worry these steady style runs are only every 3-4 weeks the pace of the easier long runs is well ramped back.

One more session this week which is not too bad intensity wise and then handy for the rest of the week before Clonliffe on Sunday. Trying to take 2 easy days between sessions for the most part in this plan. I know from previous years I can get away with an easy day between sessions in the short term but ultimately to keep consistency I can't go more than about 3-4 weeks of that so I tend to try avoid that as much as possible in this build up and try be completely consistent between now and April

Tuesday AM 5 miles recovery (8.47 min mile pace)

Tuesday PM 45 min plyometrics

Legs felt surprisingly good after yesterday and thankfully no ill effects. Really pushed the boat out on the gym session though and was flaked by the end of it. Absolutely spaced at the moment but I do feel these really stand to me and have helped me get back to where I am.

• Advertisement

Wednesday AM 6 miles easy (7.17 min miles)

Handy one around UCD this morning. This started off with hamstrings a little fragile, calves a little tender and piriformis acting up but I think this was just my bodies way of trying to tell me it was not in the mood of running this morning but after a mile these subsided and felt good. Bumped into one of the old team mates from college and tipped along handy. Was great to have her there for the company. Body felt better after than it did before.

Wednesday AM 6 miles easy (7.17 min miles)

Handy one around UCD this morning. This started off with hamstrings a little fragile, calves a little tender and piriformis acting up but I think this was just my bodies way of trying to tell me it was not in the mood of running this morning but after a mile these subsided and felt good. Bumped into one of the old team mates from college and tipped along handy. Was great to have her there for the company. Body felt better after than it did before.

Her body or yours you saucy git ;)

TRR wrote: »
    Her body or yours you saucy git ;)

Wouldn't be able to catch her to check even if I tried :P Would be like a Lada trying to pursue a Lamborghini

Wednesday PM 6 miles easy (No watch)

Left the watch on at work so it was dead by the time I got out on this one so just did a usual loop which is a shade over 6 miles. This was probably the first run in a while where I had considered leaving it and just sticking with this mornings run however today I had been reintroduced to Barr's Cherryade and American Cream Soda so a couple of cans of that and I was so full of sugar that if I didn't get out I would be bouncing off the walls for a few hours (tRR or any off you other usual feckers no snide ageist comments:P)
    Tipping along nicely at a healthy pace however it was only around 3 miles in that I realised I was breathing a little harder than I should have been for an easy run and I had let the pace get away from me so I reeled it back in.
    Body is starting to remind me that even though I have been stretching and foam rolling I haven't had a massage in ages so I need to make time and get one as the piriformis is acting up a little.

Thursday AM

2 mile warm up, 4x200, 2x400, 800, 2x400, 4x200 w/75 sec recovery (200 jog), 2 mile cooldown

Splits

Woke up a little later than planned so grabbed a single slice of peanut buttered toast to keep me tide over for session as was meeting drquirky. Thankfully checked my phone just before leaving to see he couldnt make it. At this point all enthusiasm for the session was drained. Managed to drag myself out and jog up to the club though effectively kicking and screaming. I was cold, I was tired, my hamstrings and piriformis were still a little tender from earlier in the week, it was windy. Thankfully every excuse to not do the session fell on def ears.
    The two hundreds took a bit to get into from the off not feeling great in the session despite the effort being quite controlled. By the time I got to the 800m I was thinking 2.30 would be decent considering how the session was going till I came around first lap seeing 71 on the watch. Where the hell did that come from. Pushed on and tied up a little in the end but was delighted as I was not expecting to be able to pull that out. Next 400m was though but I got through it. From then on the session was grand and legs felt good.
    All I can say is thankfully today was one of my favourite sessions to do pre a race, any other session and I couldn't have seen myself getting it done this morning

• Advertisement

Thursday PM OFF

Executive decision on this one to not chase miles. Knew both physically and mentally I needed the extra hour in bed last night. Probably the first time this year where I have made this decision sensibly as opposed to using tiredness(aka laziness) as an excuse to give myself a night off

Friday AM 5 miles easy (7.11 min mile pace)

Typical take the night off to get extra sleep and I have trouble sleeping :rolleyes:. Despite feeling like I was hit like a shovel when I woke up this morning the legs felt good and tipping away very easy on this one

Friday PM 6.5 miles easy (7.13 min mile pace)

Handy one after work legs feeling pretty good overall but definitely need to get a massage sorted just to iron out one or two minor issues I can feel starting to come before they turn into niggles. Its been about 6 weeks since my last massage and I kinda feel like a hippocrit advocating to people the importance of getting the maintenance work but the last while has been a nightmare trying to make time to get one.

Saturday 3 miles recovery (8.57 min mile pace) + strides

Just a handy loosener to get the legs flowing for tomorrow. Once again wind seems to have taken pressure off so the focus is just to race competitively and get a good solid effort. Plenty of chances for times come 2014

Was looking forward to this one. Weather not great but not as bad as the park run the previous week so was just gonna give it a lash. The day however could have started better waking to my alarm but for some reason I had it in my head when setting alarm I would have plenty of time yet when I woke I felt like I had lost an hour somewhere and was chasing the morning. This was followed up by a flat on the way out to the race. Talk about a great start to the day :rolleyes:

Bumped into one of the club mates when got out to the race and did a loop of the course as a warm up followed up by a few laxidazical drills and a chat with drquirky. Lined up to the start line to notice I had my shorts on backwards. Today was really not going my way but I was in good spirits and thought it might be good luck :D

Gun went and was off. Remembered why spikes are used on track rather than flats as I was having a tough time getting grip on the wet mondo surface. Took it nice and handy at the start as I knew the track start would get the best of a few and they would go off too hard. Came around 400m and looked at the watch for the first and only time in the race just to make sure I was not one of those people - 78, thats fine.

Left the stadium and at this stage noticed drquirky on my shoulder. I had a feeling this was gonna happen after parkrun the week before I knew I was gonna have a tough time of trying to get the better of him 2 weeks in a row. we both tucked in behind another TAC runner who was in a group coming back into Northwood.

From here there was a long drag into the wind so I knew here was good place to find a group to tuck in. Quirky sensibly tucked in behind two lads at this point with me about 5m back tucked in behind another group. This was short lived however as these guys were settling into a pace that was a little on the slow side so I made a call and put in a surge to push up on the next group about 10-15m ahead, drquirky following suit. This was definitely the right call as the lads were running at a decent clip. Bar going over on my ankle awkwardly (thankfully no damage done), and the hamstings not feeling great, things were going well.

Coming out of Northwood and I started to hear a clapping against the group - my chip being whipped against the ground repeatedly at the end of an opened shoe lace. Thoughts crossed my mind to stop and tie it or atleast pick up the chip but I was going well and didn't wanna botch it. Shortly after the dilemma ceased as I saw the chip fly across the road as I made a turn round corner out of the wind. The decision was now out of my hands.

At this point quirky and the group (4 or 5 atleasts) gained about 5-10m on me and I was not in the greatest of places so I was just hanging on to them. Didn't help that next came an almighty hail storm. I laughed to myself thinking "No Mike Clattenburg around to save you from a bit of hail so your just gonna have to run faster to get out of it". At this point strength was kicking in and I was slowly reeling the lads in and feeling pretty good. The earlier hamstring niggles seem to have dissipated and I was in full stride.

The group had split and the Clonliffe lads had broken away leaving a Civil Service guy, drquirky and me just on his shoulder. Hit the track and first thing that hit my mind is "Im, home" this is where I felt I would have quirky for a kick (CS guy had a few metres so wasn't looking at him too much). I was hurting though and from 300-200m I felt I wouldnt have a kick and just have to settle however I dug and and found an extra gear and passed quirky chasing down the CS guy. Coming off the bend and we were toe to toe. He responded well to me and I was tying up but heard one of the lads from the club shouting to relax the upperbody (was a bit of a surprise as he is in college in the US and I didn't know he was home). Dug in and managed to pip him to the line.

Looked at the clock with gleeful surprise and then at the watch to confirm (as I knew I wouldn't have a chip time)

Watch time: 16.46

Absolutely thrilled with that it was a solid effort and first time under 17 this year. Was also one of the quicker runs I have had over 5k in a while which given the conditions were not ideal (though admittedly not terrible overall)

Splits:
    3.13, 3.22, 3.30, 3.20, 3.11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

I think Santa needs to bring you a pair of velcro running shoes for Christmas!

Or shin guards, felt like a jockey was lashing my legs to get me to speed up :D

You beat me to it woody. Ill make sure one of the junevenile coaches accompanies you to your next race ecoli. Make sure your footwear is secure and they can also dress you to make sure your clothes are not inside out or back to front ;)

You beat me to it woody. Ill make sure one of the junevenile coaches accompanies you to your next race ecoli. Make sure your footwear is secure and they can also dress you to make sure your clothes are not inside out or back to front ;)

Sad thing is I qualify as one of these :p

Thankfully none of the kids I coach are on boards or I would never live it down. :o

Thankfully none of the kids I coach are on boards or I would never live it down. :o

It's be terrible if somebody emailed them the link to your log!

It's be terrible if somebody emailed them the link to your log!

You know cops have cracked down on that sort of behaviour I would advise against emailing kids, would hate to have to report you :p

• Advertisement

Sunday PM 5 miles easy (8.03 min mile pace)

Nothing to report from this one just flushing the legs out

Monday Cross training (AKA Sweet Feck all) :D

1 hour x massage (upper body work)
    5 x 1 hour Christmas shopping (upper body resistance work:()
    3 x 1 hour club fundraiser bag pack (more upperbody work:p)
    1 x 1 hour wrapping (speed development and coordination ;))
    5 x 1 hour relation visits (pain tolerance development session)

Woke up with the glands a little on the tender side so I was apprehensive about getting sick after getting soaked and frozen to the bone. Being my only day I had time to do anything in the two weeks building up to Xmas this meant that I had to fit everything in to today. I knew there was a reason why I hated xmas shopping but got it all done.

Got home bout half twelve or one but decided to take the day off partly because I was fecked and partly because I still had the race in the legs from yesterday. Thank god Christmas only comes around once a year.

Last week I have had to take a bit of a step back regards training. For once running was not the focal point and even though I could have got out a bit more than I did the family came first. Despite this I was relatively good in comparisons to other years with regards drink with only one night in the whole of December.

Wednesday 3 miles easy, Goal Mile, 3 miles easy.

Stayed in the family home Chirstmas eve and headed down to the track.Took it handy and even though there was a number of the lads from the club in it they seemed to be a little worse for wear as I was on my own from 15m in and came through in 5.30.

Thursday 9 miles easy (7.22 min mile pace)

A Handy one after work before back up to family home

FridayOFF

Got a call this morning that I wasn't expecting and today ended up bring the family across to relations for the day followed up with leaving due for the best friend that night after I dropped the family back.

Saturday 6 miles easy (7.49 min mile pace)

First drinking night in a long while and was completely shattered by time I finished work and got the car so kept this one short

Sunday OFF

Back up to the family home for the day and ended up staying there for the night.

Monday 5 miles easy (7.12 min mile pace)

No sleep the night before being up at the house (non drinking nature)

All in all not a good week but like I said it is one I made an active choice about

All in all running wise this year was a bit of a write off however I am going into the new year in a much better place than I was and hopefully after this week will get some good news and can keep the head down with no distractions.

27-Jan| Raheny 5 mile| 28.39|
    22-Feb| Malahide Park Run |17.17|
    17-Mar| Tubbercurry 10k| 37.03|
    20-Mar| Club 1500m time trial| 4.27|
    14-Apr| Great Ireland Run| 36.49|
    02-May| Graded Meet - 800m| 2.10.43|
    13-May| Tom Byrne 5k| 17.06|
    16-May| Graded meet - 1500m| 4.28.16|
    27-May| National Leagues 3000m S/C| 10.58|
    30-May| Graded Meet - 1 mile| 4.54.39|
    08-Aug| Dublin Rock and Roll Half| 1.25.11|
    06-Oct| Kilcock Kilomathon| 1.49.22|
    31-Oct| Dublin Marathon | 3.00.17|
    01-Dec| Dublin Intermediate XC||
    14-Dec| Marlay Parkrun |17.18|
    22-Dec| Clonliffe Cracker 5k| 16.46

Funny enough despite not being in good shape for the majority of this year I actually raced more but I think this was more a case of trying to use races to retain some form of fitness (with 5 races in May).

Compare this to last year where PB's were a bit more rampant (only one this year only due to it being first time in the marathon)

Jan|Raheny 5|27.21| PB|
    Feb|Garda 4 mile XC| 23.51||
    Feb| Interclubs XC|41.07|Course best|
    Mar|DCC 4 mile|21.40|PB|
    Jun|National Leagues 3k S/C|11.12||
    Jun| Midsummer 5k|17.34||
    July|National Leagues|10.27|PB|
    Sept|National Half|82.46||
    Sept|Bhaa 10k|35.24||
    Sept|Dublin Half|76.20|PB|
    Sept|Liz McDonnell 5k XC|17.48||
    Oct|Tallaght 5 mile|28.05||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

A/R "Poster of the year" - well deserved, you give a lot of your time to this forum. Many thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

A/R "Poster of the year" - well deserved, you give a lot of your time to this forum. Many thanks!

+1 Well deserved.
    A fix I tell ya!!!

Translation: You need to get off the internet and get a life :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    A fix I tell ya!!!

I sock puppeted earned my votes fair and square :D

Tuesday 7.5 miles easy (7.07 min mile pace)

Got the surprising good news that the mother was getting released from hospital so kept this one relatively short for my last run of the year. Things should start returning to a bit more normality now. Also with the Garmin acting up I managed to acquire a pretty much unused 210 and glad to report no issues so I could have a new companion for 2014 :D

• Advertisement

Wednesday 9 miles easy (7.08 min mile pace)

Dunno what I did to piss off my manager but I drew the short straw in work with a 7am start today so sleep last night was minimal. Over to relations for dinner today before meeting up with tRR for a handy run nothing too spectular just tipping along.

Advertisement