Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Congrats on poster of the year! :D So that sort of makes you the A/R Poster Child. ;) Super news about your mom....and thank you SO much for all your help in 2013....and looking forward to learning and improving even more in 2014 under your watchful eye. Happy New Year, Luke. Here's to you doing some serious damage in April. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thursday 4.5 miles easy, 4x2 mile w/200 walk/jog rec, 2 miles easy

Splits
    11.27 (5.45. 5.42)
    11.28 (5.47, 5.41)
    11.24 (5.45, 5.39)
    11.28 (5.44, 5.44)

Met up with drquirky for this one at the track. Originally I had k reps planned and he had Munichs but we compromised however one warm up we seemed to be on same wavelength and changed up the structure of the week and swapped sessions around as we felt a more moderate session after the Christmas was a good way to ease us back into normal training. He wanted a straight tempo on track but I managed to subdue the madness and break it up as 5 mile on track straight was about as appealing as an abrakebabra kebab for pre marathon carb loading:D
    Despite the weather the first one was very comfortable, same with the second so much so that I kinda felt I would be cheating myself on a session if I didn't tag on one at the end. 3rd rep and the second mile was a little bit quicker as quirky opened up a bit in the last 400. Last rep and I started to really feel like I was working. Exactly what i want from it and finished up feeling very hard.
    Only issue I had was having was twinges of cramp from the warm up but I put this down to the sleep patterns suffereing the last week. Happy out to slot back into training and pick up where I left off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ecoli wrote: »
    He wanted a straight tempo on track but I managed to subdue the madness and break it up as 5 mile on track straight was about as appealing as an abrakebabra kebab for pre marathon carb loading:D

Hey!!!:mad: don't knock it till you try it ;)

Friday Evening 8.5 miles easy (7.23 min mile pace)
    Friday PM 7 miles easy (7.30 min mile pace)

Today was first day in a long while where I had the day relatively to myself so it was a chance to catch up on some of the sleep I have been missing the last two weeks and try to come back fully to myself.
    First run met up with tRR for a handy one on the usual loop which for some reason seems to always feel shorter than it is (maybe its just having company for the run to break things up) followed up with a handy one tonight. Neither run felt particularly great to be honest but I think this was a culmination of the heavy session last night and the body effectively being on recharge mode today.

Saturday AM
    2 miles easy, 8x1k w/ 3 min rec (200 walk), 2 mile easy
    1 hour gym work

Splits: 3.18, 3.16, 3.15, 3.16, 3.15, 3.16, 3.15, 3.08

Down to the track this morning where I was meeting one of the middle distance youngsters who was hoping in for part of this session. Conditions were absolutely perfect. Wasn't sure how this one was gonna go as the posterior tibialis been tender since the twinges of cramp on Thursday (was the same after the marathon) however I deactivated trigger points early morning to put my mind at easy and didnt feel it at all while running. After 5 I was on my own but I was not in too much difficulty trying to maintain the pace as I had been leading for the entire session so it didn't make much difference. The legs were starting to get heavy though as a result of accumulated fatigue (given the recoveries were quite generous I didn't feel it too much in the first few). The last one I decided just to push hard from the go and see what I had rather than trying to wind up a sprint in the last two hundred. Very happy to have that sort of turnover at the end of a tough enough session.
    Cooldown done and jumped into the car and straight down to the gym. Was tired going into it but put in solid effort. Was flaked by the end so needless to say chilling out in jacuzzi for 20 min was a must :D.
    Flaked now so tonights run with be very handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Saturday AM
    2 miles easy, 8x1k w/ 3 min rec (200 walk), 2 mile easy
    1 hour gym work

Splits: 3.18, 3.16, 3.15, 3.16, 3.15, 3.16, 3.15, 3.08

That my friend, is one savage session. 8 x 1k is hard enough to run them that quickly us exceptional. Youre coming into great shape.

That my friend, is one savage session. 8 x 1k is hard enough to run them that quickly us exceptional. Youre coming into great shape.

The main thing I have to be wary about now is getting complacent. One session in isolation is all well and good but if I don't strong together another twelve weeks of it they won't count for much. I have a tendency of doing that in the past so the main thing is staying injury free and hopefully try bust out decent sessions week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Unreal session man, fair play, I'd say you're in good 10k shape at the minute judging by that.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Unreal session man, fair play, I'd say you're in good 10k shape at the minute judging by that.

Hopefully so. I doubt I will get to have a crack at 10k before the marathon but I am doing Raheny at the end of the month and hopefully have a crack at the 5 mile PB (was looking at Enniscorthy 10k but it would mean 3 races in 4 weeks so probably gonna give it a miss)

Saturday PM 4 miles v.easy (8.12 min miles)

Just a very handy one here. Legs felt grand however overall I think the days training had taken it out of me big time

• Advertisement

Sunday Evening 6 miles easy (7.22 min mile pace)
    Sunday PM 6 miles easy (7.30 min mile pace)

The plan for today was a long easy run however I underestimated how bad the body was feeling after yesterday. I had DOMS from the neck down :o Arranged to meet up with one of the girls from the club for this run as she was doing 10 so I thought would be perfect 5 before and after and it would be broken up nicely however got a phonecall from work just as I was out the door to meet up with her with work problems and by the time I got things resolved and made my way up to where I was meeting here I was 15 min later than we had arranged to meet. Couple that with the fact the weather was as bad as my body was feeling I decided to do the smart thing and push the long run back to tomorrow and swap days around.
    Went home grabbed a bit to eat sat down to watch telly and next thing I know I was waking up from a 2 hour nap. Definitely getting to that stage of training where recovery is going to play a major role. Back out again for a handy one and the legs felt a whole lot better for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Great training Ecoli.

You haven't succumbed yet, but there will be a huge temptation now to really hammer a session or two. 9-10 weeks is a long way to the taper. The sessions for the next few weeks now are only to prepare you for the key specific weeks and sessions before the taper. If you train well for and during those weeks you'll nail it. If the sessions are not controlled now, you might find yourself hanging on for the last 4-5 weeks before the race, running poorer sessions and even missing a few in the key phase. That will mean losing some race fitness.
    You know all this already anyway but sometimes good to get a reminder. The temptation will come. Don't do anything to compromise your ability to nail the specific phase.

Monday 20 miles easy (7.34 min mile pace)

A handy long run today. Ran very handy for the first 3 mile with the house mate and then pushed on looking for every decent hill in the South Dublin area. Legs didn't feel too bad though by 15 miles I was running like John Wayne due to chaffing. What ever about breaking through the wall this was a whole new pain :( Usually never an issue so I am putting it down to the leggings I was wearing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Monday 20 miles easy (7.34 min mile pace)

A handy long run today. Ran very handy for the first 3 mile with the house mate and then pushed on looking for every decent hill in the South Dublin area. Legs didn't feel too bad though by 15 miles I was running like John Wayne due to chaffing. What ever about breaking through the wall this was a whole new pain :( Usually never an issue so I am putting it down to the leggings I was wearing

Chafing Could be down to your big fat post Christmas auld one thighs

TRR wrote: »
    Chafing Could be down to your big fat post Christmas auld one thighs

Not a pick on me old man I am back at race weight, so you can't rely on that to slow me down come April, you just gonna have to get the finger out and train ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

( Usually never an issue so I am putting it down to the leggings I was wearing

you in leggings, TRR in leggings and a jacket, quirky in a t-shirt at a race, meno with his hat everywhere...
    ... women and gay men would be offended by the comparison :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Very interesting to see the difference in our plans, even with your goal time being quite a bit quicker than mine. Regarding your long run, is your plan to do 20+ miles every week? I don't think I will hit twenty miles for a good few weeks. With 14 weeks to go it should be interesting to see how the race plays out for us both. Well done on the training. Very solid stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

RayCun wrote: »
    you in leggings, TRR in leggings and a jacket, quirky in a t-shirt at a race, meno with his hat everywhere...

We may look like a bunch of tools but I'd certainly prefer our race results ! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

drquirky wrote: »
    We may look like a bunch of tools but I'd certainly prefer our race results ! :D:D

yeah substance over style. Looking forward to kicking some sister pearse arse this weekend

yeah substance over style.

I guess that battle was lost as soon as you designed your singlet :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I guess that battle was lost as soon as you designed your singlet :pac:

In fairness Ray, I don't think a brothers Pearse athlete is in a position to comment on singlet style! :P

In fairness Ray, I don't think a brothers Pearse athlete is in a position to comment on singlet style! :P

:eek::eek::eek:
    a classic design, in traditional Eirinn go brach/up the 'Ra colours
    what could be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

:eek::eek::eek:
    a classic design, in kerry colours
    what could be better?

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Fruit Loops the lot of them

loop_LTLIceLoopyeHand176-86476.png

Maybe you guys should try it, might mean your top runner might actually have someone to keep up with her :D
    drquirky wrote: »

Run fast and you can wear what you want, sure Galen Rupp's gimp mask is long forgotten at this stage.
    yeah substance over style. Looking forward to kicking some sister pearse arse this weekend

Rumours are they are shaving certain club members heads in order to actually have someone in touching distance of you guys. Only wish I was old enough to run :P

Very interesting to see the difference in our plans, even with your goal time being quite a bit quicker than mine. Regarding your long run, is your plan to do 20+ miles every week? I don't think I will hit twenty miles for a good few weeks. With 14 weeks to go it should be interesting to see how the race plays out for us both. Well done on the training. Very solid stuff.

Not every week but the majority of them I will either have a steady long run or an easy long run - the easy topping out at 24 while the steady will top out at 20. Endurance should not be an issue come race day, pace on the other hand is anyone's guess.

Tuesday AM 4.5 miles recovery (9.12 min mile pace)

Very handy one this morning. Bumped into Tunguska who must have thought I was injured or mad when he actually realized it was me (didn't think I would be running that handy)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

statss wrote: »
    Fruit Loops the lot of them

loop_LTLIceLoopyeHand176-86476.png

We like people to notice as we pass them out :)

We like people to notice as we pass them out :)

Getting lapped doesn't constitute being ahead :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

Hey ecoli, u following a specific marathon plan or club coach /your own?

Advertisement