Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

jfh wrote: »
    Hey ecoli, u following a specific marathon plan or club coach /your own?

The plan is mainly devised from Mark Hadley's training philosophies, however it is not set in stone and their are some amendments which have been made based off my own experiences and my old coach as well as adapting based off how I feel.

Here is a link to the general outline:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai_n0GctxVLddFRyTEVma3BfUjdRUk1EZm9aRHBfa1E#gid=0

This doesn't match up exactly with my training but it gives you a general outline of the plan. The highlighted pink section indicates the Marathon specific phase. The paces are for ideal sub 2.30 training however Again these are rough guides and as such I am basing it more off feel and knowing myself what effort levels I should be exhibiting and where I am fitness wise myself

Tuesday PM 7 miles easy (7.25 min mile pace)

First few miles felt awful on this one, pace was fine, effort level was fine but just felt a little light headed which normally comes from poor diet throughout the day but today had been good. Was gonna cut this short but the feeling passed and after 3 miles I was feeling all good and not a bother on me. Peroneals were giving me a bit of bother all day and I was starting to think it was just my legs suffering from the miles however for some reason I got a flash back to last nights long run and slightly going over on the ankle, didn't feel it at the time or even think about it but finally put the connection together and once I knew what I had done I knew that it would clear up in a day or two without the need to take time off (was fearing an overuse injury but thankfully false alarm)

Feel like I am hypersensitive to every little thing at the moment for fear of overdoing it or losing the consistency I have been working on over the last few months. God help me once taper madness comes around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

well best of luck, it's always interesting to see a different way, good bit of speed work in there.
    a wave run that's a new one on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Have you booked flights and accommodation for Rotterdam yet? Just want to make sure your fully committed to our April 13th showdown ;)

TRR wrote: »
    Have you booked flights and accommodation for Rotterdam yet? Just want to make sure your fully committed to our April 13th showdown ;)

Waiting on pay day next week, I am doing it though so you wont get out of it that easy, just get out and train ;)

• Advertisement

Wednesday AM 4.5 miles easy (7.32 min mile pace)

Just a handy one around UCD this morning. Legs feel fine no major issues

Wednesday PM 1 mile easy, 10 miles tempo, 1 mile easy

Splits: 10 miles = 61.01 (6.06 min mile pace)
    6.16, 6.09, 6.10, 6.08, 6.09, 6.05, 6.01, 6.03, 6.03, 5.56

I dunno why but I am always a small bit fearful of this season moreso than any other and tend to dread it until I actually get going and realise that it is actually one of the more enjoyable sessions that I do and gives a great boost in confidence boost to be able to go at a good clip without actually be working too hard.
    First mile I found it hard to get the pace down to where I wanted and was starting to think it was just not gonna come but eventually settled into the pace and ticked along. First few miles were very comfortable. It was a calmer night than the last time I did this session nearly six weeks ago so the splits were alot steadier. 1st lap done and the body had loosened out a bit and without too much input from the mind the pace had dropped slightly so I just went with it. Was cruising along nice and handy though by this stage the feet were numb as a result of the flooding along the paths which had numerous times flooded my shoes.
    Came to the last mile and though I was feeling good and the temptation to really go for it was there the body quickly reminded me that the legs had over 100 miles in them in the past 7 days so despite the pace increase the legs were as heavy as hell. No harm in this though as this is the time for them to heavy and is to be expected that there will be times in training that they feel like this (just means they will benefit when I do give them a breather and let them freshen up a bit for races)
    Delighted with how this session went especially given the fact that its coming off the most mileage I have ever ran over a 7 day period. Just need to play it safe and make sure I can string a good number of weeks together like it in the coming months

Good to compare this session to the last time I did it just over 6 weeks ago, definitely a sign that the training is going in the right direction

ecoli wrote: »
    Splits: 10 miles- 62.24 (6.14 mile pace)
    6.20, 6.16, 6.14, 6.17, 6.20, 6.13, 6.09, 6.07, 6.17, 6.04

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Another great session, especially with 100 miles in the legs over 7 days. How are going to select pmp? You running a half or a ten mile beforehand?

Another great session, especially with 100 miles in the legs over 7 days. How are going to select pmp? You running a half or a ten mile beforehand?

I will be doing one if not both distances before hand (still 50/50 on the 10 miler) but my marathon paced stuff will start a little sooner than than so I am basing it generally of my general fitness and where I am in Raheny. I have a fair idea at the moment anyway of where I am and what I reckon is achievable. The HM will be a marker though and could lead to amendments but again its more a case of being honest with myself about what I reckon is achievable.

Waiting on pay day next week, I am doing it though so you wont get out of it that easy, just get out and train ;)

Flights are cheap at the moment, lash them on the credit card. Have you even bleedin' entered?
    How are going to select pmp?

He is going to see what I've planned and try to run 1 second quicker ;) Note the word try :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Not to put any pressure on you Ecoli but I made a bet w/ another member of TAC(who shall remain nameless) about your marathon time. It involves a six pack and lets just say I bet on you. I'm watching this log like a hawk now and the second I see a sign of overcooking I'm showing up at your door to kick your ass.

You better be running easy today asshole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

drquirky wrote: »
    Not to put any pressure on you Ecoli but I made a bet w/ another member of TAC(who shall remain nameless) about your marathon time. It involves a six pack and lets just say I bet on you. I'm watching this log like a hawk now and the second I see a sign of overcooking I'm showing up at your door to kick your ass.

Who else would be betting 6packs with quirky I wonder :confused:

Let it be said I am not betting against you....it's just there is an over/under bet on what time we think your time will be (as a bookie you'll understand). We'll let you know the over/under line after the event ;)

Flights are cheap at the moment, lash them on the credit card. Have you even bleedin' entered?

As said entry is going on next Wed when I get the pocket money from the rents :p
    He is going to see what I've planned and try to run 1 second quicker ;) Note the word try :D

Seeing an awful lot of wind coming from your direction but very little in your log. I think fear about having to pass the torch is starting to set in. By the end of the year you could be #3 or #4 on the club list (I think there are rumours that there will be another débutante over the distance later in the year )

drquirky wrote: »

menoscemo wrote: »
    Who else would be betting 6packs with quirky I wonder :confused:

Let it be said I am not betting against you....it's just there is an over/under bet on what time we think your time will be (as a bookie you'll understand). We'll let you know the over/under line after the event ;)

With club mates like this who needs enemies ;)

Don't worry quirky today is nice and easy and even my other session of the week is fairly controlled in relative terms. Overcooking/losing focus is something that I have done far too often in the past and the single most important aspect of the plan for me has been consistency and I intend on keeping it that way.

menoscemo wrote: »

As long as we are talking a 100% line. I don't want you fudging it by taking a margin out of either side ;)

Seeing an awful lot of wind coming from your direction but very little in your log. I think fear about having to pass the torch is starting to set in. By the end of the year you could be #3 or #4 on the club list (I think there are rumours that there will be another débutante over the distance later in the year )

I think I'm currently number 2 right? If I end up 3 or 4 by the end of the year then so be it, fair play to Tom and Eoin :D. At best you will be TRRs number + 1 ;)

You sound worried regards my training. Let's just say I'm going ninja for a while ;)

You sound worried regards my training. Let's just say I'm going ninja for a while ;)

:confused:

Is Maynooth WADA compliant and adhere's to out of competition testing? I don't wan't the fear of me upstaging you to make you descend down the drugs path

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

As long as we are talking a 100% line. I don't want you fudging it by taking a margin out of either side ;)

yes a definite line has been marked in the sand.
    Lets just say if Quirky is to win his bet TRR has a sweat on his hands....

:confused:

Is Maynooth WADA compliant and adhere's to out of competition testing? I don't wan't the fear of me upstaging you to make you descend down the drugs path

I have access to EPO but rest assured I don't feel the need to use it!

I have access to EPO but rest assured I hope I won't need to use it!

Fixed that the for you old man

Thursday AM 4 miles very easy (7.57 min mile pace)

Fearing the wrath of quirky :D this one was kept nice a handy. Legs actually feeling good after yesterday (though some residual heaviness). Ran this loop a few times over the past few weeks but this was the first time that I actually noticed just how much a state the old Belfield track is in - broken bottles, construction scrap and the ever visable "track is closed for health and safety reason" sign lying on the ground. Utterly disgusting that the only track in Ireland which (to the bestof my knowledge) still holds a world record and yet still not a wimper of a new track or the "task force" set up to seek out funding :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

If quirky loses his bet then someone's getting a six pack of Labatts from the back of his garden shed that he's, at the very least, p1ssed on a couple of times ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

digger2d2 wrote: »
    If quirky loses his bet then someone's getting a six pack of Labatts from the back of his garden shed that he's, at the very least, p1ssed on a couple of times ;)

To quote my d!ckhead gun carrying New Hampshire redneck boss (when I was 16)

"Hey there mabel, get off that table. That nickel I gaves ya is for another black label"

Thursday PM 45 min flexibility

The last two weeks was taking its toll and didn't feel recovered sufficiently (never gonna feel fresh as a daisy during heavy training) by the evening so decided to not go chasing miles (which I think I was subliminally trying to) tonight and replaced it with self treatment on the calves (last few days had a minor niggle that I was managing) and bit of flexibility work

Friday AM 7 miles easy (7.03 min mile pace)

Yesterday worked a treat and seems to have reset the legs. Niggle cleared up, legs felt fresh and effort was easy. Happy I made the right call yesterday and time to start a hard cycle all over again

Friday PM 80 min gym work

Was putting one of the younger middle distance runners from the club through his paces on this one. Has alot of basic speed (50 sec 400m guy) so I figured he would have the power for a fair amount of this however being his first time to do this sort of work he was struggling a bit. Comprised of weights (all compound exercises) plyo's and hip mobility work so always a fair taxing session but glad to be indoors while we watched it teem down out the window

Friday PM 7 miles easy (7.03 min mile pace)

Despite having a couple of hours after the gym work I was expecting this run to not be pretty however despite the heaviness this was not bad at all. Fairly strange to hit the exact same pace as this morning despite running two different loops and my running being based off effort without looking at the watch for easy runs (until after of course)

Saturday 5 miles easy, 5x1 mile w/2.15 jog rec (roughly 400m), 5 miles easy

Splits (7.30 mile pace) 5.32, 5.31, 5.34, 5.32, 5.37 (7.32 mile pace)

Was good to get away from the track for some faster stuff to help me gauge for Raheny running at the pace without the aid of taking 400m splits on a track as majority of my faster than Tempo stuff as of late has been on the track. Initially I was apprehensive about this session but in hindsight given the temps were in the minus figures the mindset changed to "sure its just a long warm up, perfect on a cold night light tonight".
    First rep and cruised along nicely with an ever so slight downhill (to be honest loop I was using was as flat as you will get on the roads) which I figured why I felt so controlled at that pace, next one and even faster, Happy days. Third rep was as fast bar some tool cutting straight out in front of me followed by slamming on breaks making me manoeuvre around the car losing a bit of time. Next mile back on track. I was delighted with the session. The last mile at the time I thought I was gassed although in hindsight I think that I just had a bit of a lapse in concentration that affected the pace a bit.
    In to another five mile done and I was feeling very happy with myself the hard work was done and time to head home. After the pace of the mile reps I was tipping along feeling so easy at low 7 min pace, this was short lived however. After about a mile the fatigue properly kicked in and I was out on my feet. This was probably the hardest five mile I have ever had to do and I was on autopilot just willing myself forward. Guess that's what I get for forgetting why the five mile at the end was put there in the first place:p

All in all a very solid session and good strength work to top off what has been a very productive week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Superb session..........beats 8 min/mile pace with me and TBL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ah yes, but at 8 min/mile pace you get time to take in all the views and "native birds" :)

Suppose thats a matter of perpective. Think my legs would disagree with you there :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Nice workout with some good miles. Bet you felt great when you got home.

• Advertisement

Stazza wrote: »
    Nice workout with some good miles. Bet you felt great when you got home.

If only body is in pure craving mode have domino's number on stand by as I am prepping food trying to resist the temptation...... MUST RESIST:D

Advertisement